Dell Optiplex GX520

Dellmantt

282 posts in this topic

cant get it to work... mach_kernel doesnt load! anyway legacy works fine for me... btw are there any significant changes in mach_kernel?
If you installed another version of Chameleon, then you have to replace the "boot" file again as the installer overwrites it.

since you got the vanilla kernel working, can u try my app "Hexley" (beta 1)

.... and maybe post a screenshot ???

post-530376-1295632556_thumb.png

If you installed another version of Chameleon, then you have to replace the "boot" file again as the installer overwrites it.

post-530376-1295632556_thumb.png

I got that same error as well.

Dyld Error Message:

Library not loaded: QtGui.framework/Versions/4/QtGui

Referenced from: /Applications/Hexley.app/Contents/MacOS/Hexley

Reason: image not found

And here's proof it works:

post-195405-1295663440_thumb.png

10.67 beta?
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=244457

same question: vanilla vs legacy, what performance differences?
Startup & Restart seem noticeably faster. A definitive answer is "Xbench" indicates the system is 0.319 % slower and "Geekbench" indicates the system is 0.578% faster using "Vanilla" rather than "Legacy" kernel.

The main advantage of using vanilla kernel & kexts is software updates.

• 1 month later...

Cant get vanilla kernel to work!!! i get a kernel panic at start up. I need to add arch=i386 manually to start up the system. With this boot file it seems to ignore my flags on the com.boot.plist file at the extra folder. This boot file tries to boot in 64-bit mode by default and i get a kernel panic. Not working for me. :D

Cant get vanilla kernel to work!!! i get a kernel panic at start up. I need to add arch=i386 manually to start up the system. With this boot file it seems to ignore my flags on the com.boot.plist file at the extra folder. This boot file tries to boot in 64-bit mode by default and i get a kernel panic. Not working for me. :D

You have the P4 ?

Don't know why you are having the problem. Are you using the boot file & Chameleon 2RC5-699 from the first post (Guide)

You must replace the "boot" AFTER installing Chameleon. And yes you need Arch=1386.

My com.apple Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1024x768x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v arch=i386</string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Hey Dellmantt.

Thank you for your Tutorial. It works fine for me to install 10.6 with a retail disc, Legacy kernel and your .kexts . But I'm quite new to this topic and so I don't understand what to do to update to 10.6.7 with the Vanilla kernel and this DSDT stuff. Could you please update your Tutorial for this or do you have any links where someone already did this?

Thank you.

Hey Dellmantt.

Thank you for your Tutorial. It works fine for me to install 10.6 with a retail disc, Legacy kernel and your .kexts . But I'm quite new to this topic and so I don't understand what to do to update to 10.6.7 with the Vanilla kernel and this DSDT stuff. Could you please update your Tutorial for this or do you have any links where someone already did this?

Thank you.

What model do you have 520 or 620 and what CPU P4 or Pen D or Celeron ? (Good idea to have your specs in your signature). I know first hand that the Vanilla kernel works with the patched boot file on a P4 CPU , supposedly it works with the others but have not tested. Perhaps someone can tell us.

To test on your system

- Run "show all files" ---This should show that you have "mach_kernel' & "boot" in the root of your OS X partition.

- Look in Extra/Extensions and make sure you have "NullCPUPowerManagement.kext" installed

- Install Chameleon 2RC5 from first post. Don't restart yet.

- Replace "boot" file with the one from first post

- Restart and at the chameleon prompt type "mach_kernel" without the quotes.

If you get a black screen, just restart and the system will boot from the 'legacy_kernel. If it works then you can change the com.apple.Boot.plist in Extra

For DSDT fix for GMA950 see post 4 and there are other posts about it further on (You have read the entire thread ?)

If you get black screen with DSDT see http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1561993 or type "DSDT=no" at prompt and remove.

If both fixes work just upgrade to 10.6.7 from Software Update. If you can not get them working then just do the 10.6.6 update as outlined in the Guide and wait until a 10.6.7 Legacy Kernel is available.

Anyway try things. What's the worst that can happen, you have to re-install or revert to a backup.

Its WORKING!!! :D

I messed up the com.apple.boot.plist, thats why it wasn't working.

I have a P4 HT 3.0Ghz, so i need to have arch=i386 or it wont work, right? With this processor we cannot have a true 64bit environment?

I then upgraded to the 10.6.7 but had a kernel panic because of the sleepenabler.

Do you guys have the sleepenabler kext installed?

Without it my Dell dont wake up. I need to disable hyperthreading for sleep to work.

Guess i have to wait to the 10.6.7 sleepenabler.

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

Why do you have this? what does it do?

One more thing, do you really need the Nulcpupowermanegement kext? whats that for? I installed it to use vanilla because you said that was important but i was having no problems without it on legacy kernel.

Thank you Dellmantt for your amazing patience to answer all our questions. :)

Its WORKING!!! :D

I messed up the com.apple.boot.plist, thats why it wasn't working.

I have a P4 HT 3.0Ghz, so i need to have arch=i386 or it wont work, right? With this processor we cannot have a true 64bit environment?

I then upgraded to the 10.6.7 but had a kernel panic because of the sleepenabler.

Do you guys have the sleepenabler kext installed?

Without it my Dell dont wake up. I need to disable hyperthreading for sleep to work.

Guess i have to wait to the 10.6.7 sleepenabler.

Why do you have this? what does it do?

One more thing, do you really need the Nulcpupowermanegement kext? whats that for? I installed it to use vanilla because you said that was important but i was having no problems without it on legacy kernel.

Thank you Dellmantt for your amazing patience to answer all our questions. :)

Glad you got it working :D

Yes I have never got it to boot without arch=i386, you can use force64 with as well although I cant find any advantage.

pci root is to do with graphic enabling for Chameleon.

You need Nulcpupowermanegement kext with the patched boot file or you get a KP or black screen, don't remember which, but it wont work without it.

I don't use sleepenabler, have sleep turned off, but do use a hot corner for display sleep

And thanks for your kind words

EDIT sleepenabler http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1660664

I installed 10.6 with this instruction but I have some problems which I couldn't find in the 7 pages.

I installed it to an attached ATA (IDE) drive. All working well. Cloned to internal SATA drive partition, but no go. Reinstalled MyHack, but without success. When starting up I get all kinds of charachters (not OS X) finishing with a 'J'. It's about 10 lines.

However, when I start from the ATA disk and I select the SATA drive in the bootloader, it just starts up fine. Any idea on how to fix the bootloader on the SATA drive?? The IDE drive is now attached instead of DVD drive and with case open so it's not a very good situation tongue.gif

I installed 10.6 with this instruction but I have some problems which I couldn't find in the 7 pages.

I installed it to an attached ATA (IDE) drive. All working well. Cloned to internal SATA drive partition, but no go. Reinstalled MyHack, but without success. When starting up I get all kinds of charachters (not OS X) finishing with a 'J'. It's about 10 lines.

However, when I start from the ATA disk and I select the SATA drive in the bootloader, it just starts up fine. Any idea on how to fix the bootloader on the SATA drive?? The IDE drive is now attached instead of DVD drive and with case open so it's not a very good situation tongue.gif

Try downloading Chameleon 2RC4 from the guide. Make sure you select destination as the SATA drive. If that does not work, then sorry I don't know what is wrong.

New Sleepenabler and Legacy Kernel on Nawcom's Blog.

:D

SleepEnabler 10.6.7

Legacy Kernel 10.7.0

Thanks. Good news for those not using the vanilla kernel.

I forgot to mention I already tried that.

Have now erased SATA and recloned from ATA. Installed Chameleon and voila!

10.6.6. Will try upgrading to 10.6.7 later this week.

If I could only get my ASUS EAH HD4350 to work on VGA (monitor doesn't have DVI input...)

I forgot to mention I already tried that.

Have now erased SATA and recloned from ATA. Installed Chameleon and voila!

10.6.6. Will try upgrading to 10.6.7 later this week.

If I could only get my ASUS EAH HD4350 to work on VGA (monitor doesn't have DVI input...)

DVI to VGA adapter?

DVI to VGA adapter?

Yes! Trying this tomorrow.

Update to 10.6.7 went without problems.

Funny thing is, I installed the ATI Kexts and updated boot.plist. It boots up in Verbose mode..

I think if I connect a DVI screen I can see something... My VGA screen just keeps giving verbose output.. But when I press the escape button the OS X sound sounds.. Sleep button and enter gives shutdown, so it boots up just fine...

Fingers crossed with the VGA-DVI Adapter!! I keep you posted :-)

I'm not home yet, so no news on the DVI->VGA Adapter but I have another question.

In Safari and Firefox my Flash Player keeps crashing... More people have this problem??

Would a reinstall of Flash Player help or is this a typical Hackintosh problem?

I'm not home yet, so no news on the DVI->VGA Adapter but I have another question.

In Safari and Firefox my Flash Player keeps crashing... More people have this problem??

Would a reinstall of Flash Player help or is this a typical Hackintosh problem?

Never had a problem with flash myself. I am using version 10,1,102,64

It finally works, besides the USB-Ports... Anyone else having this problem? I updated from 10.6 to 10.6.7. They worked until I restarted after the Update. The rest works like a charm.

How can I check which kernel I am using right now? It says a 10.7 kernel but which one of these two? Normally I changed from legacy_kernel to mach_kernel, but I'm not sure if this works. Maybe this is my problem now.

It finally works, besides the USB-Ports... Anyone else having this problem? I updated from 10.6 to 10.6.7. They worked until I restarted after the Update. The rest works like a charm.

How can I check which kernel I am using right now? It says a 10.7 kernel but which one of these two? Normally I changed from legacy_kernel to mach_kernel, but I'm not sure if this works. Maybe this is my problem now.

Type "uname -a" (without the quotes) in terminal booted with vanilla & then with legacy, you should see the difference. Can't check mine at the moment as I typing from 10.7 Lion

Actually if you are having USB problems then you must be running an earlier Legacy Kernel..You won't have the problem if you upgrade to the new 10.6.7 Legacy kernel or run the Vanilla kernel with the patched "boot" file from the guide.