Dell Optiplex GX520

Dellmantt

282 posts in this topic

I MUST be doing something wrong.

I took your MACADD, changed it to my adapter address and went through the instructions again.

The one thing I noticed while going through the directions is when I went to save MACADD in the pico editor I got an error..security I think. I did a sudo -s in terminal and was then able to save it.

Could that be the problem?

Correct me if I am wrong, but if it's "working" when I reboot, I should then be able to launch Safari and get out to the web. correct?

I MUST be doing something wrong.

I took your MACADD, changed it to my adapter address and went through the instructions again.

The one thing I noticed while going through the directions is when I went to save MACADD in the pico editor I got an error..security I think. I did a sudo -s in terminal and was then able to save it.

Could that be the problem?

Correct me if I am wrong, but if it's "working" when I reboot, I should then be able to launch Safari and get out to the web. correct?

Permissions, I did sudo -s before starting all the steps in the script.

When you restart, do ifconfig in terminal, if it worked you will have a mach address.

In network preferences I use DHCP with manual address 192.168.1.2, probably not needed DHCP should do.

And after you do the script you don't need to restart to see if it worked. From text file "1. The MACADD will be reset after changing a Location, waking the computer from sleep, or changing the state of the network interface. To use the script again without having to restart, enter the following command: sudo SystemStarter start MACADD"

I would trash the MACAAD folder and start again ;)

Thanks...all is good now on the networking side. Obviously is was something I was (or wasn't) typing.

Regarding Power Settings, it seems as though I can't get the dell to hibernate. Is this expected or is there another fix?

Thanks again...

Good that your networking is OK.

Never tried sleep/hibernate. Others as far as I know have not been able to get it going. There may be a way to fix it some way with DSDT because apparently the sleepenabler.kext does not work. As i said I don't use "sleep" which is why I left it out of the myhack settings in the guide.

• 2 weeks later...
I can t get the bootcd to work. looks like im gettin' a kernel panic?

anybody else that have tried the bootcd?

please give me feedback.

Where are you getting the problem-When you boot from CD?--When you swap to DVD & press F5?--When you try and boot the HD after install?

And what type of DVD drive does your Optiplex have, a laptop type (SFF & USFF) or a full size drive (Desktop)?

Where are you getting the problem-When you boot from CD?--When you swap to DVD & press F5?--When you try and boot the HD after install?

And what type of DVD drive does your Optiplex have, a laptop type (SFF & USFF) or a full size drive (Desktop)?

nono, i try to boot up the retail SL dvd from your bootdisc. and i get stuck.

my optiplex got a full size dvdr drive.

you know what im doing wrong?

please help me out.

nono, i try to boot up the retail SL dvd from your bootdisc. and i get stuck.

my optiplex got a full size dvdr drive.

you know what im doing wrong?

please help me out.

I am not sure what is going wrong. You boot with the cd, wait until it says

"Eject the boot CD / Insert Mac OS X DVD

Wait a bit and press F5 key"

After that you should have a an option to boot the install disc. If you get an ebios read error press F5 again. Give the DVD time to spin up. If it does not work then you have a problem the CD burn, the retail disc or a problem with the DVD drive.

Didn't you have a Hazard install. Do you have a spare partition or drive (internal/external)? if so why not use it or a "Leopard distro install" to do the myhack install.

EDIT I have had reports of 3 failures against 2 successes using the boot CD. Seems to be a problem with the DVD drives in optiplex. The successes were with an external DL DVD drive and the other the person had upgraded the DVD drive in his mini tower. I am going to remove the Boot CD option from the guide. Sorry.

Just found out this tread. I also own a GX620.

One tip about sleep mode, it only works fine if you disable hypertreading technology on system bios.

I have everything running fine with 10.6.4 and i just installed the new qoopz legacy kernel 10.5 witch made my hackintosh work in 64 bit mode. Amazing.

The only problem i have is with the usbe aka hi-speed usb port, witch is on expansion slot mode.

Everything works fine but when i have a external hard drive attached and the system wakes up from sleep mode, it just gives me an eject error. Besides that the macosx is perfect and running perfectly.

Just found out this tread. I also own a GX620.

One tip about sleep mode, it only works fine if you disable hypertreading technology on system bios.

I have everything running fine with 10.6.4 and i just installed the new qoopz legacy kernel 10.5 witch made my hackintosh work in 64 bit mode. Amazing.

The only problem i have is with the usbe aka hi-speed usb port, witch is on expansion slot mode.

Everything works fine but when i have a external hard drive attached and the system wakes up from sleep mode, it just gives me an eject error. Besides that the macosx is perfect and running perfectly.

If you disable hypertreading then you lose one core with the Core 2 Duo and a loss of performance (verified with Geekbench & Xbench)

I am running the 10.5 legacy kernel with the 10.6.5 update and have had no problems.

Am using the kernel from nawcom post 43 here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1591520 Have not tried Andy Vandijck's version 2 yet.

If you disable hypertreading then you lose one core with the Core 2 Duo and a loss of performance (verified with Geekbench & Xbench)

I am running the 10.5 legacy kernel with the 10.6.5 update and have had no problems.

Am using the kernel from nawcom post 43 here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1591520 Have not tried Andy Vandijck's version 2 yet.

I'm using that one too. I think they are the same.

I don't have a Core 2 Duo. Its a simple Pentium 4. Maybe thats why my sleep mode have a different behavior and only wake up with hyperthreading disabled.

Did you fix the ehci usb on your osx? I'm trying to fix that with dsdt but with no luck.

When i extract my dsdt there is no ehci on it for me to fix. Its very strange, i only have uhci usb on my dsdt.

I don't have a Core 2 Duo. Its a simple Pentium 4. Maybe thats why my sleep mode have a different behavior and only wake up with hyperthreading disabled.

Did you fix the ehci usb on your osx? I'm trying to fix that with dsdt but with no luck.

When i extract my dsdt there is no ehci on it for me to fix. Its very strange, i only have uhci usb on my dsdt.

Thats really weird, I have the GX620 with a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 with HT and my sleep works just fine with HT enabled in bios. I do not have usb issues "built in usb" is what it says in system profiler. The only time sleep doesn't work for me is when it boot into pure 64bit mode and it just wakes up immediately, but I've heard that is because the gma 950 has no 64bit kexts. I wonder if you have sleepenabler.kext installed into /Extra/Extensions ?

You should have one of the following-intel® Pentium® 4 dual core, Intel® Celeron® D & Intel® Pentium® D-That what the GX520-620 came with.

No USB fixes in DSDT only fix is for GMA950.

As scififan68 says ensure you have the appropriate sleepenabler.kext in Extra/Extensions

And remove the force64 part in the boot.plist just have arch=i386

You should have one of the following-intel® Pentium® 4 dual core, Intel® Celeron® D & Intel® Pentium® D-That what the GX520-620 came with.

No USB fixes in DSDT only fix is for GMA950.

As scififan68 says ensure you have the appropriate sleepenabler.kext in Extra/Extensions

And remove the force64 part in the boot.plist just have arch=i386

My Dell GX620 have a single core Pentium 4, 3.0Ghz. I used Xbench and got a total score of 100.37 without hyperthreading and 101.32 with hiperthreading. I guess with a single core processor it doesn't make any noticeable difference. I just have 2 kext installed on the \Extra directory: FakeSmc and LegacyAppleRtc. Just that and nothing more. Everything runs just fine, even sleep but with hyperthreading off. Can you post the link of the sleepenabler kext you guys use? I'll try that with HT on.

One more thing:

On my bios i have sata as normal. I think its faster than combination. I didnt install ioatafamily and all my drives runs fine, even my IDE Dvd-rom. I'm just saying this because probably we don't need all those kexts installed if the system runs stable without them.

Thats really weird, I have the GX620 with a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 with HT and my sleep works just fine with HT enabled in bios. I do not have usb issues "built in usb" is what it says in system profiler. The only time sleep doesn't work for me is when it boot into pure 64bit mode and it just wakes up immediately, but I've heard that is because the gma 950 has no 64bit kexts. I wonder if you have sleepenabler.kext installed into /Extra/Extensions ?

Please post a link of your sleepenabler kext, Ill try that.

You have the Hi-speed Usb Bus as Built-in on system profiler? I have all Usb Bus Built-in except the Hi-Speed Bus witch is on Expansion Slot. That slows Usb 2.0 transfers and cuts power from external hard drives when the system goes to sleep. When the computer wake up, it shows you a message of a usb device removal warning.

You can read the thread of this issue here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155345

ApexDE on post 43 of that thread found the solution. Post 43

But i can't apply that to my dsdt. I don't have any entry for ehci (hi-speed Usb) on my dsdt for me to apply his solution. Really strange.

we don't need all those kexts installed if the system runs stable without them.

Good point

Please post a link of your sleepenabler kext, Ill try that.

I got the impression from one of your earlier posts that you were running 10.6.4 with the 10.5 kernel..?

you can find the 10.6.4 & 10.6.5 Sleep Enabler kexts at kexts.com

Good point

I got the impression from one of your earlier posts that you were running 10.6.4 with the 10.5 kernel..?

you can find the 10.6.4 & 10.6.5 Sleep Enabler kexts at kexts.com

Updated yesterday via software update to 10.6.5 with no problems.

Thats one of the beneficts of having a system with no sleepenabler kext.

I also made a dstd with the Intel GMA950 Fix and RTC Fix. So my only kext on Extra folder right now is the fakesmc. The Dell GX620 is proving to be an amazing machine to do a Hackintosh.

Here´s my dsdt : DSTS Dell GX620

Many thanks for the guide. I was wondering how long it took you to put this together and if there will be an update for 10.6.5.

Also, if you ever need a tester or someone to help with things, feel free to ask.

Many thanks for the guide. I was wondering how long it took you to put this together and if there will be an update for 10.6.5.

Also, if you ever need a tester or someone to help with things, feel free to ask.

The 10.6.5 update instructions have been added to the guide.

The Guide itself did not take long to write, but before that there was hours of research, lots of failed installs etc etc.

If I need assistance, I will ask, thank you

Dellmantt, do you really have a core 2 duo or is it a dual core? On dell page specs this mobo cant use a core 2 duo http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/desktops/opt...cs=22&s=dfh

I'm thinking to upgrade my cpu but i think that the best processor this board suports is a Intel Pentium D 960 (Dual Core) 3.6 GHZ. Is this true??

Thanks Dellmantt.

Thats funny Dell have changed that page (I have it bookmarked). It use to say 'The GX520 comes with 3 processors an intel® Pentium® 4 dual core, Intel® Celeron® D & Intel® Pentium® D", which is what I quoted in the guide. From what the site says now the Pentium D dual core seems to be the fastest option. I am wondering now about the accuracy of the page as further down it now says "Available DIMM Slots:Two Memory slots offering up to 2GB". It used to say 4GB, which I have. Maybe it is the wording and it means 2GB per slot, From memory the old page said for the CPU

Pentium® 4 dual core -single core 2 threads

Intel® Celeron® D - single core single thread

Intel® Pentium® D - single core single thread

I would be checking with Dell as to what processor your board can actually take. In another thread, that I now can't find, somebody tried to upgrade a GX520 from a Celeron to a P4 and could not get the computer to boot.

post-530376-1291926405_thumb.png post-530376-1291926421_thumb.png

Interesting, From http://en.community.dell.com/support-forum...t/18290488.aspx "Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum. The OptiPlex™ GX520 system supports the Intel® Pentium® 4 (Prescott) 5xx series and Pentium 4 Celeron® 3xx series processors.

Beginning March 17, 2006, the GX520 also supports the Intel Pentium D (Smithfield) 8xx series processors."

From the same site "I emailed Dell Tech Support and they have told me that the Pentium D is the latest CPU that will work in this system. Here are some compatible sSpec numbers: SL88T, SL8CP, SL88S, SL8CN, SL88R and SL8CM - these are all from the 820, 830 and 840 range (no 9xx range will work)"

Actually with latest bios(A11) any Pentium D will work. including D 9xx series

But no Core 2 Duo support, wright? Only Pentium D Dual Core. Well i guess ill have to search ebay for a good business on those. I'm am wondering if the cooling system on my 620 is enough to those fastest 9 series.