Dell Optiplex GX520

Dellmantt

282 posts in this topic

Ok, I'm a big noob with the Mac and UNIX (been a Windows guy for years but love my Macbook Pro and have purchased 4 Macs in the past two years). Was able to implement all of the directions provided and got my GX520 working, but did run into the network issue where the MAC address was all zeros.

I may have found a simpler way to insert the actual MAC address every time the system is booted....feel free to tell me I'm an idiot if a missed something that all you MAC folks already know about.

Anyway, if you do this, I think it is pretty much a single step process.....

Open a terminal window and type (not sure if you need to sudo -s first):

cd /etc

sudo nano rc.local

edit the end of the file with:

ifconfig en0 ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

where you replace the xx's with your actual MAC address

press ctrl-x, and select y to save it.

I think this bypassess all the sudo permissions issues and when you reboot it automatically sets the MAC address.

Thanks for another solution for the MAC address problem.

Here is another solution http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1612239

OK SORRY!!!! I will not mention any distro again on your thread. :D

I don't considerate it "my thread". I wrote the guide for a new user who was having a problem installing on a 620, not for any ego thing.

I would like to see the thread be about one method as it makes it easier to follow, and easier to help knowing the install method.

Have loaded both iatkos & hazard distos on another 520, noted what each install does, where they install items and what is written to com.apple.boot.plist's etc. So my prejudice against distro's comes from some experience.

Btw , has anyone changed the graphics card on these dell 520 or 620? At 1680 x 1050 the gma950 is a little bit slow.

scififan68 in this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1557605 says he is using a nvidia card. You could ask him which one.

Im running my Gx620 in 64bit mode since the 10.5 kernel with no problems
well... the p4 does support EM64T aka x86-64

post-696481-1295091200_thumb.pngpost-696481-1295091743_thumb.png

UPDATE to 10.6.6 If you have 10.6.5 Download and install the 10.6.6 update http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1343 If you have 10.6.4 or earlier, Download and install the 10.6.6 combo update http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1349 If you have not done the DSDT fix for Video. you will have to reinstall the frame buffer kext. No Updated Legacy kernel for 10.6.6 available yet (that I know of) 10.5 Legacy Kernel works
Update the guide since the new kernel works... Edited by mohdumar

update here if it works...
Update the guide since the new kernel works...

Why the demands to update the guide? A little time to assure there are no problems won't hurt surely.

Just tested new kernel. Also working here. No problems at all. :superman:

btw, why do you guys disable the 64bit mode on the kernel installation? Im running my Gx620 in 64bit mode since the 10.5 kernel with no problems.

Are you saying force64 or native (note sure if that is the correct term)....."Gringo Vermelho" had a post a couple of months ago explaining force64 v arch64. I haven't got the time now to look it up. What do think is the advantage of 64 bit for the OS and what applications. Myself have not found any advantage with Force64 and problems with some apps (jbidwatcher, Cronnix & vmware fusion in bootcamp mode)

Are you saying force64 or native (note sure if that is the correct term)....."Gringo Vermelho" had a post a couple of months ago explaining force64 v arch64. I haven't got the time now to look it up. What do think is the advantage of 64 bit for the OS and what applications. Myself have not found any advantage with Force64 and problems with some apps (jbidwatcher, Cronnix & vmware fusion in bootcamp mode)

Its force64... I only pick the 64bit option on the legacy kernel install. That way, it will add the -force64 to the com.apple.Boot.plist and thats it. Haven't noticed any difference in 32bit or force 64 bit mode, but i haven't seen any problems either, (probably because i don't use vmware). So i'm sticking with the 64bit mode.

Ps. Vmware Fusion 3 now supports 64bit mode on snow leopard.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10368478-263.html

Its force64... I only pick the 64bit option on the legacy kernel install. That way, it will add the -force64 to the com.apple.Boot.plist and thats it. Haven't noticed any difference in 32bit or force 64 bit mode, but i haven't seen any problems either, (probably because i don't use vmware). So i'm sticking with the 64bit mode.

Ps. Vmware Fusion 3 now supports 64bit mode on snow leopard.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10368478-263.html

ok and thanks for the link

Sleep works on mine, but I've never tested hibernation.

Edit: you can now use the vanilla kernel on the gx520, gx620 here: http://osx86.co/f36/new-modify-chameleon-b...el-cpu-to-t6737

Don't know why I didn't notice this before. Have to try it. Anyone else tried it?

@scififan68 Do you have the latest vanilla kernel booting?

Don't know why I didn't notice this before. Have to try it. Anyone else tried it?

@scififan68 Do you have the latest vanilla kernel booting?

Yeah I do, works great, I updated to 10.6.6 and even tested it on an HP with a Celeron D(Prescott based), It just needs the nullpowermanagement.kext.

Yeah I do, works great, I even updated to 10.6.6 and tested it on an HP with a Celeron D(Prescott based), It just needs the nullpowermanagement.kext.

Thanks, will try it this weekend.

Just to be sure please.

So you replace "boot" in root

nullpowermanagement.kext. in E/E or SLE. Does it matter which?

Rebuild Extension caches.

And boot from mach_kernel.

What version of Chameleon. Does it matter? I Have Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r635

Thanks

Thanks, will try it this weekend.

Just to be sure please.

So you replace "boot" in root

nullpowermanagement.kext. in E/E or SLE. Does it matter which?

Rebuild Extension caches.

And boot from mach_kernel.

What version of Chameleon. Does it matter? I Have Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r635

Thanks

Yeah all correct, but I only recommend putting nullpowermangment.kext in /E/E and use *Chameleon 2 RC4* :)

Yeah all correct, but I only recommend putting nullpowermangment.kext in /E/E and the bootloader doesn't matter. :thumbsup_anim:

is the nullpowermanagement kext same nullCPUpowermanagement.kext? since i already got the nullCPUpowermanagement.kext in /extra/extensions...

i copied the downloaded boot out of boot.zip into root and ran kext utility... then booted from mach_kernel in chameleon but nothing loads except gray screen!

is the nullpowermanagement kext same nullCPUpowermanagement.kext? since i already got the nullCPUpowermanagement.kext in /extra/extensions...

i copied the downloaded boot out of boot.zip into root and ran kext utility... then booted from mach_kernel in chameleon but nothing loads except gray screen!

Yeah, it is the same kext, my mistake, and you should also back up the legacy kernel, hmmm now that I think about it, you may need to install Chameleon 2 RC4 then copy the boot file, otherwise you get that gray screen. I must of forgotten about it, since that computer is almost never used, but I can guarantee it works.

Yeah, it is the same kext, my mistake, and you should also back up the legacy kernel, hmmm now that I think about it, you may need to install Chameleon 2 RC4 then copy the boot file, otherwise you get that gray screen. I must of forgotten about it, since that computer is almost never used, but I can guarantee it works.

Tried it WORKS-thanks

Worked with the newer "boot" from the update link

and with Chameleon 2 RC5 699.

boot.zip

Chameleon.699.zip