is OSx86 a Apple strategy to get new customers

dino7777

14 posts in this topic

Hello,

running and installing OSX on a non Mac is getting easier every day.

OK, most of the credit goes to the OSx86 community.

But on the other hand, most new Apple OS X releases enable more and more new features and hardware. Even for hardware, that isn't available on any Mac!

Secondly Apple does not seem do any efforts, to prevent OSx86.

Exactly the opposite is true.

I would like to know, how many OSx86 users buy a genuine Apple Mac?

Me myself am one of them. After running my first hacks, I bought my first MBP, rather than any Win notebook.

My theses is that Apple somehow supports the OSx86 project.

Or better to say, they do not want to hamper the project.

In a way to make it available and usable to a majority of possible users, but still with some lacks and weakening.

So possible (non power) users, get a flavor of the "shine and best os in the world".

But the lacks make them want to have a 100% system, i.e. a genuine Mac. (again, I am talking about non power users, that do not invest some effort and time to make their hacks run smoothly and with all functionality)

All that reminds me of Microsoft in the 90s. when Bill was happy about every Windows user, even if this user was running Windows without a valid license. Bill knew that this user will get used to Windows, and later buy it at the latest when its needed for business, etc.

What do you think?

Is it intended by Apple that OSX can be easily adapted to almost any (Windows) PC hardware.

How many of you you have bought their first Mac after they "discovered" OSX via OSx86.

Cheers

I too am one of those users that played around with OS X on a PC and then decided to buy a Mac.

I got into it in 2008 because i was sick of Windows, and I know what I am doing (I'm a C# developer). Once I discovered Mac, it was like a breath of fresh air.

I ended up buying a 2009 27" iMac, and a 13" Mac Pro for the wife.

Although, I did build a "Mac Pro" which I am very happy with.

I really don't think Apple cares if people put OS X on their PC as long as they don't start selling them (Psystar)

If someone has the interest in Macs and they can try out the OS on their hardware I think they will like it and eventually just buy a Mac.

It took me six months to completely switch over to Mac, it took time to get used to the OS plus finding and trying out Mac software that could replace what I was using on Windows.

Also, it takes time to erase any preconceptions someone has about Macs and the fact that you don't need Windows. I think for a lot of average computer users Windows is the only operating system they have ever used, so switching cold turkey is very hard and it takes some convincing to show someone that they can use a computer without Windows.

I have 3 friends that I helped out by setting them up with OS X on their PC, not one of them have come back and said I want to switch back to Windows. And after a month or two when I asked them if they wanted to switch back to Windows everyone of them said ABSOLUTELY NOT. All of them also said that their next computer would be a real Mac.

Swhay

I agree with you. Trouble is, people come here because they believe that installing OS X on their existing hardware is funny and fashionable. They believe it is akin to installing a fashionable Linux distribution.

Alas, they soon realize that it is not so funny if you don't have compatible hardware: it takes a lot of learning, trying, and you might never succeed.

A few years ago it was taken for granted you would build your own hackintosh with compatible hardware and that running OS X on a PC was a daunting task, not for people who don't even know what a BIOS is or how to partition a hard drive.

Sure true that Apple will take steps against any Psystar like folks, who would like to make money of OSx86.

I forgot to mention this fact in my initial post, but now it's said.

It would be interesting to know, how many people bought their first Apple hardware, after discovering OS X via OSx86.

Writing this from mobil phone (guess which one), so I am too lazy to research if this forum supports pollings.

Thanks for your posts. I see I am not an exception, as OSx86 made me buy exclusivly Apple hardware, after getting in touch with it.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 Hackintoshes and I have bought a Macbook Pro, 15, early 2008. I feel good with all, keep using the 2 Hacks next to the MBP. I feel so nice when I can do system maintenance to my Mac owner friends, ironically I could fix a kext using Kext Utility on a real Mac (it happens). Using a Hackintosh you acquire more knowledge about how OSX is working, this knowledge is golden on a real Mac too.

Cannot say I disagree with anything here. I run two Hack-macs and gave one to my girlfriend my main computer (Asus G60VX) runs mac almost flawlessly and I have a netbook (Acer zg5) running also almost 100%. Will I ever buy a real mac? most likely not I am still a cheap fu**er and could not see myself laying out that kind of scratch on a computer but it has crossed my mind (buying a MBP) I look at them every time I go into a computer store but as long as I get get this kind of hardware (Asus G60VX) and run mac at half the price I wont buy one

• 1 month later...

interesting topic.

i have 3 hackintosh, and finally cracked and bought my 1st real apple mac, last week.

It is the new macbook air 13" with 4 gigs and 128gb ssd drive.

So i would say that yes. because of my hacks, i felt ok and good to make the jump to apple.

i have been using windows since Windows 95 came out..

What funny here in the Philippines is that are a bunch of people that buys a mac, then after a week, go to a computer store and ask them to install windows on their machine. The tech said that they were a number of them. Not many but still, it's a bit ironic or paradoxical? I dunno.

Anyway, I'm just lucky that my laptop works on any OSx86 distro. I have been installing and reinstalling to a point that I bought 4 usb pen drive to speed up the installation process.

If I had money, I'd buy one, have windows installed, bring both laptops at starbucks and take a pic of how they'd react. hahaha!

• 2 months later...

Now I am hooked into Macs, that I keep on buying old PPC Macs and trying to breathe new life into it... it is fun! I am almost thru with my hack, nothing to improve anyore. PPC Macs posed new challenges for me, learning past hardware and it capabilities, maxing out everything.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very interesting point - my story is this. First computer was a Mac and then went to Windows around Win95 - worked for IBM PC Division so Win machines were the norm. However played with Linux then a number of years ago built a Hackintosh!

I have since built many Hacks and am delighted with them but have also now come back to Apple in a big way - have bought 2 iPhones, 4 iPods, a MacBook and a MacBook Pro for myself and have recommended and installed 5 Mac Pro's for my brothers company and 2 Mac Pro's for my sister. I currently use regularly MacBook Pro 2.66, iPhone, iPod and Hac Pro.

So in my case although the Hackintosh was not my first taste of Mac it is what brought me back and I have to say it has occurred to me before that the OSX86 community may very well be Apple's secret weapon for converting PC users. The reason I say this is that normally those who would build a Hack have some sort of computer knowledge and their recommendation will be heeded by friends. Hence as in my case my return to Apple resulted in several real Apple Mac sales. These are only the ones in my immediate family, there have been others as well who have bought Apple since I recommended that.

So is OSX86 an Apple Strategy to get new customers - I don't think it is but they are far too shrewd to look a gift horse in the mouth!

• 3 months later...

For the OP, I'd say yes and no. Yes only for those tech people silly enough to waste money on a logo and no for those of us that don't fall prey to the pretty logo.

I grew up on Apple OS Classic. I started using Windows around the end of 98's life. I dabble with Linux. For myself, now that I've gotten hardware (i7 for my main setup) and with the hard work provided of many individuals here, I run OS X on all my machines now.

I purposefully worked a little harder to get it installed on an older netbook just to take around for fun. One of the things I love is the shock and awe of people when they realize it is OS X and not a "Mac". I'm the person that will never pay for the Apple logo again until Apple starts to recognize my rights as a consumer and to quit screwing me over in the money department.

I encourage anyone with the ability, if they are even considering buying an Apple Logo'ed PC to go the 86x route. My next trip home I'm replacing OS X on the PC I built for my mother (who can install Windows on her own).

If I know a person couldn't handle installing the OS but I make sure that they know they are wasting money instead of just learning (it is sad how many people shun the idea of using their tiny, tiny brains).

So if Apple's goal is possibly close to the OP, I'm the consumer that breaks that goal for them.