ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

Guest ^Andy^
Maybe the 2011 MBP update not working properly on desktop computer. I believe, as the name suggested, 2011 MBP update contain kexts tailored for ATI mobility card. Try use Lion's (10.7) kexts instead.

On my notebook, DVD player & Geekbench crashed immediately when the internal LCD not working (only external monitor working). I got it fixed when I got internal LCD working.

I've fixed the crashing dvd player and geekbench - try this package, it will install a modified version of chameleon along with all of the new ATI kexts http://www.mediafire.com/?r52bv1otbovc9ci

You need to set GraphicsEnabler to yes.

Are you sure it's using the new kexts after doing this? I don't think it is.

It is, 100%. Like others, have done a clean install and update of 10.6.6, tried SEVERAL bootloaders ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], XPC, and numerous variants of Chameleon) and everything works great. Not a single problem. The moment I install the new ATI kexts, GB and DVD player crash upon launch, every time, even when I revert to alt bootloaders. Crash....regardless. And it is a mystery because in all of my 5-6 years in the Hackintosh world, I have never had this sort of problem, especially limited to 2 seemingly unrelated applications. WoW, Cinebench, ProApps, OpenCL benchmarks, all work with no problems.

So what are you basing the 100% certainty on? When I know it's using the new kexts (GE=No)- the "About this Mac", More info button, Graphics/Displays looks a particular way.

When I use the above patch with GE=Yes, the same screen mentioned above looks just like it always has using the Exp. Chameleon + GE=Yes

So what are you basing the 100% certainty on? When I know it's using the new kexts (GE=No)- the "About this Mac", More info button, Graphics/Displays looks a particular way.

When I use the above patch with GE=Yes, the same screen mentioned above looks just like it always has using the Exp. Chameleon + GE=Yes

Here is what I tried:

- Installed 10.6.6 fresh on a test drive

- Installed Chameleon on a USB thumbstick

- I first tried using the latest Chameleon with ATI Rom using Mohamad's method. GB and DVD player ran perfect.

- I then tried the latest Chameleon using various versions of Kabyl's boot right up to the latest. GB and DVD player ran perfect.

- Installed the latest ATI kexts from MBP 10.6.7 update.

- Replaced the boot with the native boot from the latest Chameleon. GB and DVD player crash. All other apps run fine.

- Installed and tried numerous variants of Chameleon from Asere to the latest official release. GB and DVD player crash. All other apps run fine.

- Installed various versions of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and XPC (which btw actually loads OS X 4 times faster than Chameleon). GB and DVD player crash. All other apps run fine.

- Updated to 10.6.7 via combo update.

- Using the above described methods, GB and DVD player crash. All other apps run fine.

- On another 10.7.0 Lion HD, using the Chameleon boot for Lion, XPC, and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], GB crashes. To be honest, have not tried DVD player.

Besides installing the latest ATI kexts, and then updating to 10.6.7 I had installed or changed nothing on my system. From my testing, you can see why I have concluded it is the latest ATI kexts that are causing the problem. One thing to consider, despite my ATI card's ID natively present in the new kexts, and the fact that all display ports and HDMI audio are working, my card's framebuffer, Vervet, is not present in the controller kext. Only Hoolock, Langur, Orangutan, and Zonalis are. Andy over at Netkas has compiled a new Chameleon boot to correctly set the framebuffer and remedy GB and DVD player from crashing, however you will need to set GraphicsEnabler=Y for it to work, which, in my opinion kinda defeats trying to have my card run Native in OS X.

Here is what I tried:

- Installed 10.6.6 fresh on a test drive

- Installed Chameleon on a USB thumbstick

- I first tried using the latest Chameleon with ATI Rom using Mohamad's method. GB and DVD player ran perfect.

- I then tried the latest Chameleon using various versions of Kabyl's boot right up to the latest. GB and DVD player ran perfect.

- Installed the latest ATI kexts from MBP 10.6.7 update.

- Replaced the boot with the native boot from the latest Chameleon. GB and DVD player crash. All other apps run fine.

- Installed and tried numerous variants of Chameleon from Asere to the latest official release. GB and DVD player crash. All other apps run fine.

- Installed various versions of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and XPC (which btw actually loads OS X 4 times faster than Chameleon). GB and DVD player crash. All other apps run fine.

- Updated to 10.6.7 via combo update.

- Using the above described methods, GB and DVD player crash. All other apps run fine.

- On another 10.7.0 Lion HD, using the Chameleon boot for Lion, XPC, and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], GB crashes. To be honest, have not tried DVD player.

Besides installing the latest ATI kexts, and then updating to 10.6.7 I had installed or changed nothing on my system. From my testing, you can see why I have concluded it is the latest ATI kexts that are causing the problem. One thing to consider, despite my ATI card's ID natively present in the new kexts, and the fact that all display ports and HDMI audio are working, my card's framebuffer, Vervet, is not present in the controller kext. Only Hoolock, Langur, Orangutan, and Zonalis are. Andy over at Netkas has compiled a new Chameleon boot to correctly set the framebuffer and remedy GB and DVD player from crashing, however you will need to set GraphicsEnabler=Y for it to work, which, in my opinion kinda defeats trying to have my card run Native in OS X.

I would look at it a different way - with the original ATI kexts you did not stand a chance at loading the graphics in OSX using a Windoze GFX card without a lot of work going into injectors or specific kexts such as ATI_Init (32 bit etc)

People put a lot of time and effort to get the ATI cards working on the old kexts and Kabyl has done a sterling job to get the ATI cards working seamlessly with the old kexts - building all the graphics injection into the Chameleon coding and allowing 64 bit fully working graphics with minimal effort from the user.

Now these new kexts have come along and now OSX loads up these cards pretty well without the need for any jiggery-pokery. Which frankly I'm amazed at given the amount of time and effort it took with the old kexts to get any signal out the card at all. Yes there are a few wrinkles but I think it's a very good thing that these new kexts get you as far as they do without the need for any graphics injection methods.

If we'd had these kexts in the first place - just think how much easier it would have been for the guys here and Netkas to get them working fully.

It seems like a bit of an anti-climax because Kabyl has already gone to great lengths to give full graphics with the old kexts and if you had a card that worked under the old kexts then not a lot has changed for you with the new ones. The difference lies in the cards that weren't supported before like some 6XXX cards etc can now be used in OSX to some degree.

I think people should see these new kexts as opening the door to more graphics cards in OSX and also giving full use of all ports on the card. Yes there are some issues with GeekBench and DVD Player but why not use these kexts with the pre-existing solution to get ATI cards working fully?

With regards to Andy's bootfile:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1661350

It's basically a new version of chameleon, I have modified the ati.c file merged it with valv's sandy bridge version so it will accept AtiConfig flags to set the framebuffer etc and override the defaults. I have deliberately not posted the source yet as I dont want a certain other site stealing it and taking the credit.

So it's Kabyl's hard work with the ATI.c coding spliced with Valv's bootloader for SB builds and I think Kabyl deserves the credit for this.

I would look at it a different way - with the original ATI kexts you did not stand a chance at loading the graphics in OSX using a Windoze GFX card without a lot of work going into injectors or specific kexts such as ATI_Init (32 bit etc)

I think people should see these new kexts as opening the door to more graphics cards in OSX and also giving full use of all ports on the card. Yes there are some issues with GeekBench and DVD Player but why not use these kexts with the pre-existing solution to get ATI cards working fully?

With regards to Andy's bootfile:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1661350

So it's Kabyl's hard work with the ATI.c coding spliced with Valv's bootloader for SB builds and I think Kabyl deserves the credit for this.

Well said, and I agree with you fully. I am simply stating my findings in response to what others have experienced. Sure, one can easily revert to an older more stable solution, such as USB, audio, and gfx. That has always been my rule of thumb. Perhaps by the time Lion goes GM and ready to launch more framebuffers will be added. From a cost perspective it would make more sense for Apple to allow for 3rd party cards than to have AMD include a limited Mac only ROM on a Mac only card. I am certain that any contracts with ATI have long since expired. If I were AMD I would just tell Apple NO! as it would be easier to include compatibility on Apple's end. It may even stimulate sales of Mac Pro systems. One can only hope, something I have been waiting for since the Rage Pro days. Anyway, I rant. :)

And sorry, I was not implying credit to Andy for the bootloader. I will rephrase by saying the one he posted. :)

Thank you for this, I have noticed that the computer will sleep but fails to wake up requiring a hard reboot.

I have again reverted to Kabyl's latest boot and 10.6.7 (non SB kexts) as I get a better geekbench score compared to the modified boot provided.

That said I am really grateful to you guys for your help and your dedication, that said please ensure that it is not ripped off by others.

Brgds.

Guest ^Andy^
I have loaded this and it works fine. Thank you

The boot loader is bigger that Kabyl's can you please advice the source and more info regarding the bootloader.

It's based on AnVal's Sandy Bridge branch but has Kabyl's ATI changes merged in. I needed sandy bridge and ati injector support so had to do it this way. I pm'd kabyl a few days back to let him know what I had done and offered to hand over the source code.

Eh? All I did was merge 2 branches of Chameleon because I needed both sandy bridge support and the ati code in order to test with the 6800 and 6900 cards - I've taken no credit for it - do you see my name in build anywhere? No!

I had already pm'd Kabyl notified him of what I had done and offered the source code because I have no intention of starting another branch because I do not intend to maintain it.

I'm not sure where you are going with this statement - there was nothing stopping you from making the changes however you chose not to, I did and now your unhappy?

I was under the impression that sharing the work i had done would actually be of benefit to others however comments like this make me wonder why I bothered and make me feel far less inclined to share anything I come up with in future.

is this work on ATi HD 5500 :

Chipset Model: Unknown

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68da

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Display Connector:

Name: ATY,Megalodon

Type: display

Driver Installed: Yes

Bus: PCI

Slot: Slot-1

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x68da

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1462

Subsystem ID: 0x2154

Revision ID: 0x0000

Link Width: x16

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 Host Bridge [1002:7911]

Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device [1458:5000]

--

Capabilities: [58] Express Root Port (Slot+), MSI 00

Capabilities: [80] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-

Capabilities: [b0] Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device [1458:5000]

--

Capabilities: [58] Express Root Port (Slot+), MSI 00

Capabilities: [80] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-

Capabilities: [b0] Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device [1458:5000]

--

00:11.0 SATA controller [0106]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1002:4391] (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])

Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device [1458:b002]

--

00:12.0 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller [1002:4397] (prog-if 10 [OHCI])

Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device [1458:5004]

--

00:12.1 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller [1002:4398] (prog-if 10 [OHCI])

--

00:12.2 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller [1002:4396] (prog-if 20 [EHCI])

--

00:13.0 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller [1002:4397] (prog-if 10 [OHCI])

--

00:13.1 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller [1002:4398] (prog-if 10 [OHCI])

--

00:13.2 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller [1002:4396] (prog-if 20 [EHCI])

--

00:14.0 SMBus [0c05]: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller [1002:4385] (rev 3c)

Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device [1458:4385]

--

00:14.1 IDE interface [0101]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 IDE Controller [1002:439c] (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])

Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device [1458:5002]

--

00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383]

Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device [1458:a002]

--

00:14.3 ISA bridge [0601]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 LPC host controller [1002:439d]

Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device [1458:5001]

--

00:14.5 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI2 Controller [1002:4399] (prog-if 10 [OHCI])

--

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:68da] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device [1462:2154]

--

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:aa60]

Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device [1462:aa60]

I use Snow Leoprad 10.6.7 , AMD Phenom X4 945 , Gygabyte GA-MA74GMT-S2

please tell me how to make QE/CI work ?

Thanks

I was under the impression that sharing the work i had done would actually be of benefit to others however comments like this make me wonder why I bothered and make me feel far less inclined to share anything I come up with in future.

Take it easy Andy ;) I'm sure a lot of folks around the world enjoy your input, like I do. Thanks for sharing with us!

Cheers

Take it easy Andy :) I'm sure a lot of folks around the world enjoy your input, like I do. Thanks for sharing with us!

Cheers

Andy - I hope it was not my post you were referring to, as I was asking about the boot.

I can assure you I am very grateful to you for what you have done - I could never do anything similar and rely on guys like you to sort me out.

Thanks mate - much appreciated.

@Kabyl:

I don't know if you still need those, but I'm sending attached here my tests. I've created a total 15 tests because my card has 2 outputs working (DVI and DisplayPort) and I've tried every combination of them. My video card has HDMI too, but it doesn't work on MacOS, no matter wich FB I use (from ATI5000Controller.kext), even if it is on GraphicsEnabler=Yes (testing GE was always No).

Everything you might need is attached here (I think).

testsp1.tar.gz

testsp2.tar.gz

Thanks!

Guest ^Andy^
hi

XFX 5750 is supported?

someone used kabyl boot with 5750?

thx!

Yes but I had to specify AtiConfig=Hoolock for correct HDMI support

Guest ^Andy^
So only the boot file and the "AtiConfig=Hoolock"

nice to know thx a lot man! :)

Sorry my bad - I made a mistake, it was a 5570 card that I used (in my htpc). :(

Sorry my bad - I made a mistake, it was a 5570 card that I used (in my htpc). :(

damn...so no way??? :)

the command line at boot to change the framebuffer is "AtiConfig=xxxx"??

I dunno the correct framebuffer name for 5750...someone?

hope in some help! :)

thx!

PS: my boot file. on my hard disk is "hidden" and i cant replace it...how can i do?

someone can gie me a hand plz?

thx a lot :)

PS2: i used also the command:

"defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES"

but i cant see the boot file and when i try to replace it with the kabyl one, i get error...

cant replace hidden files....DAMN!

someone PLZ!!!!! :( :(

found it,

thx anyway!

But dunno why my 5750 dont start!

sigh... :(

Someone can help me? thx

THX!

New boot works fine here on 5750 (Powercolor ECO passiv). DVI +HDMI Mutimonitor without Problems

Can you tell me which framebuffer do you use and if you use a ROM or no?

thx :P

1002_68b9_e144174b.rom

can someone tell me how i find the "e144174b" part of the room name??

did still i have to use these?

<key>UseAtiROM</key>

<string>yes</string>