ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

h azimutzn have problem that i post in your treat in voodoo projects can you see it?

Yep, i saw it; i'll get to you soon... i'm a bit busy and your ioreg is taking ages to download :thumbsup_anim:

p.s.: got it. Firefox (Aurora) was choking on something...

Hi Bism4rck, you're getting the hang of it and missing just a little bit; you need to replace a dev id close to yours on ATIRadeonX3000.kext's

info.plist and binary; 68BE seems a good candidate. Check the talk from this post on and see if you can manage it.

On the controller (ATI5000Controller.kext as you know) replacing or adding the dev id on the info.plist is enough; replace the same you

replaced on ATIRadeonX3000 if present, add if missing.

I'll take care of the booter part :thumbsup_anim: i have all i need from you.

Hi Azimutz, thanks for your reply! I'm really cracking my head for the last few days to make the HD6750 work, did lot of reading the forums and google and so on, but there is some progress. :thumbsup_anim:

What I have done so far:

- replace a dev id 68BE with 68BF in the ATIRadeonX3000.kext

- already added the dev id to ATI5000Controller.kext

But still DVD-Player not working, do I need to bin patch something, and what is bin patching? :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks.

But still DVD-Player not working, do I need to bin patch something, and what is bin patching? :(

LoL... ok, since you've done a nice effort, i'll explain; "bin patch" is an abbreviation for "binary patching";

resuming, what you need to do is also replace the dev id on the kext binary, located in Contents/MacOS folder.

Explaining:

- get an hex editor (0xED is a nice free one)

- open ATIRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX3000 on the hex editor

- hit Command (windows key)+F and change the "Search Type" to hex

- search for the dev id you want to replace, bite swapped; meaning, instead of 68BE, search for BE68

- replace all instances of BE68 (i can count 22 ;) ) by BF68

- save and you're done

I don't guarantee that it works; usually does but... try it and feedback ;)

LoL... ok, since you've done a nice effort, i'll explain; "bin patch" is an abbreviation for "binary patching";

resuming, what you need to do is also replace the dev id on the kext binary, located in Contents/MacOS folder.

Explaining:

- get an hex editor (0xED is a nice free one)

- open ATIRadeonX3000.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeonX3000 on the hex editor

- hit Command (windows key)+F and change the "Search Type" to hex

- search for the dev id you want to replace, bite swapped; meaning, instead of 68BE, search for BE68

- replace all instances of BE68 (i can count 22 :( ) by BF68

- save and you're done

I don't guarantee that it works; usually does but... try it and feedback ;)

Huch great guide, but when search & replace BE68 by BF68 it founds 78 items here. Save the file and reboot gives a KP:

10wtz6q.jpg

Maybe search & replace is doing a to good job here? ;)

Do I need to run anything after saving the file, kext utility or so?

thanks for your quick replay

i am attach my ioreg to this post

Akbar, you can remove the ioreg if you want; i already got it from the other topic.

You're next in the waiting line ;)

Huch great guide, but when search & replace BE68 by BF68 it founds 78 items here....

I see now you're running Lion, right!? 22 was on 10.6.8 and that was already too much for my taste...

Lion and the CrapStore is pissing me of long time ago; i don't even know if i will be able to run it on this cpu (Pentium D 925).

At least ATIRadeonX1000 and the device i replace seem ok... let me take a better look at the binary... brb

p.s.: are you running the GM?

Akbar, you can remove the ioreg if you want; i already got it from the other topic.

You're next in the waiting line ;)

I see now you're running Lion, right!? 22 was on 10.6.8 and that was already too much for my taste...

Lion and the CrapStore is pissing me of long time ago; i don't even know if i will be able to run it on this cpu (Pentium D 925).

At least ATIRadeonX1000 and the device i replace seem ok... let me take a better look at the binary... brb

p.s.: are you running the GM?

Yep GM here. Do I need to bin patch ATIRadeonX1000 or ATIRadeonX3000? Thanks...

Yep GM here. Do I need to bin patch ATIRadeonX1000 or ATIRadeonX3000? Thanks...

ATIRadeonX3000.. ATIRadeonX1000 it's for the oldest cards Apple supports, the one i need to patch for my RV516 (X1300, X1550 & XT1600).

Well, this stuff is completely new to me; all the devices i search on X3000 have tons of occurrences even on 10.6.7 drivers :( damn Apple..

when i get rich, i'm going to buy it and close it!! ;)

Don't know how to help you guys ;) i can still add your devices, but without bin patch you won't get qe/ci... not funny...

p.s.: i need to take care of other stuff, eat and rest a bit. Meanwhile, try to check Netkas site for some solution;

maybe ATY_init.kext can help. I'll be back asap ;)

Hi guys.. i have no news on the bin patch. I track this post so, if you have any news or need some other info just post.

The best is find me at Voodoo forums; i wont be much around here in the future giving support, but i'll still come around

as a user or when i have free time.

Also, if you need your device id's added to the booter, just let me know.

Stay safe...

I managed to dump the Radeon HD 6310 IGP on the AMD E-350 APU video bios from my Sony Vaio YB, not sure if it will help.

ATOM BIOS Rom:

SubsystemVendorID: 0x1002 SubsystemID: 0x9802

IOBaseAddress: 0x3000

Filename: BR39114.bin

BIOS Bootup Message:

Sony Tucana Ontario VBIOS

PCI ID: 1002:9802

Connector at index 0

Type [@offset 45562]: LVDS (7)

Encoder [@offset 45566]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY (0x1e)

i2cid [@offset 45648]: 0x90, OSX senseid: 0x1

Connector at index 1

Type [@offset 45574]: HDMI-A (11)

Encoder [@offset 45578]: INTERNAL_UNIPHY (0x1e)

i2cid [@offset 45683]: 0x91, OSX senseid: 0x2

Connector at index 2

Type [@offset 45586]: VGA (1)

Encoder [@offset 45590]: INTERNAL_KLDSCP_DAC1 (0x15)

i2cid [@offset 45710]: 0x97, OSX senseid: 0x8

video bios image attached..hope it helps

radeon6310_9802.1002.vbios.zip

• Like 1

hi

is anyone having the same problem like i do

when i dualboot from win7 to osx or osx to win7, my monitors (dual dvi) go into sleep mode after a while, but the system boots fine into desktop. monitors stay in sleep (tried turning off, reconnecting). otherwise there is no problem with my gfx card, everything works like it should

gigabyte ati 5870 (looks like reference from what i can tell but with better cooling)

Hi Azimuth,

Any chance of making Ati Mobility Radeon 5650 included in you boot file. The specs are underneath, the hardware is a laptop acer 5740G. 'Works' in SL 10.6.8 with vervet FB but in Lion I can only get full resolution but no QE/CI.

Thank you for any help or suggestion.

[ ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 (Acer) Video Adapter ]

Propriedades do dispositivo:

Descrição do dispositivo ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 (Acer) Video Adapter

Tipo de Bus PCI Express 2.0 x16

Barramento / Dispositivo / Função 2 / 0 / 0

Identificador do dispositivo 1002-68C1

ID do Sub-sistema 1025-033E

Classe de dispositivo 0300 (VGA Display Controller)

Revisão 00

Hi Azimuth,

Any chance of making Ati Mobility Radeon 5650 included in you boot file...

Hi dd10986; going to add it, yes. It should work fine, since the dev id is present on the ATI drivers,

on both RadeonX3000 and 5000 controller :)

Meet me at this topic...

Thanks

p.s.: by the way, this is not my boot file, it's simply Chameleon :(

Hi dd10986; going to add it, yes. It should work fine, since the dev id is present on the ATI drivers,

on both RadeonX3000 and 5000 controller :)

Meet me at this topic...

Thanks

p.s.: by the way, this is not my boot file, it's simply Chameleon :)

Hi Azimuth,

Already have been looking at your posts in voodooprojects :P . Noticed that your able to patch and compile 'boot' files with the right device id etc.

Appreciate all help given. Keep up the excellent work.

Thank you

Hi @ all,

i´ve tried diiferent aticonfigs for my HD5650m graphicscard.

But i only get greyscreen with all settngs. Before trying this here i haven´t get native display working.

I´m using leohazards 10.6.6i with my acer aspire 5740g.

i don´t know how to add the dev id and vendor ids to ati kext files. Could someone upload these two files for me here? or give me a how to with macdrive?

Another question is if i´ll need an edid file for my display?

Thanks for help!!

Hi Azimuth,

Already have been looking at your posts in voodooprojects :) ...

Device added:

{ 0x68C1, 0x033E1025, CHIP_FAMILY_REDWOOD, "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650", kNull },

Note that i didn't set a default framebuffer (kNull) because i don't have any reference.

If you need any help on my side, just drop a post on the topic i mentioned (it's in my signature).

See ya later...

hi azimutz,

my notebook packard bell ls11hr running lion gm with right resolution (1600x900) radeon 6650m but no qe/ci, grapicsenabler=yes

i have added this to chimera and compile a new boot file and trying several framebuffers at start and always getting unsupported graphic

{ 0x6741, 0x05131025, CHIP_FAMILY_TURK, "AMD Radeon HD 6650M", kNull },

the device id is present in the ATIRadeonX3000.kext, ati6000controller.kext and at least i put it in the ati5000controller.kext. but still unsupported graphic.

what im doing wrong?

regards

what im doing wrong?

Hi Nai22,

if the data you're adding is correct and you're using AtiConfig=someFB, i don't see a reason for "Unsupported".

A bdmesg would help and i don't think adding the device to ati5000controller.kext will.

I added two 6741 to the trunk recently, but i don't know what framebuffer to use because i got no feedback on that.

You better start reading bcc9's topic, if you haven't yet ;) if it doesn't work ootb with a personality, you'll need to patch one

to suite your needs. And even then, there's always the "fail" possibility.

@ azimutz

maybe you can find something :rolleyes:

EasyNotes-Mac-Pro:~ easynote$ sudo lspci -nnvd 0x1002: | grep -B2 Subsystem
 Password:
 pcilib: 0000:01:00.0 64-bit device address ignored.
 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:6741] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
  Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device [1025:0513]
 --

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:aa90]
  Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device [1025:0513]

EasyNotes-Mac-Pro:~ easynote$ ioreg | grep ATY
 EasyNotes-Mac-Pro:~ easynote$ 

gives nothing

bdmesg in the attached file

do i need the vbios rom of my graphicscard in /extra to get it fully working?

thank you azimutz for adding my device to your branch hihi. now after compiling the ati6000controller and the atix3000 kexts are loaded, lvds not working correctly because of the framebuffer i think, hdmi is working with qe/c

another question, belong this device really to the turks family, i have read something about vancouverA, is it important?

Hey maybe you guys can help me. I have a Mobility Radeon 5730. It works fantastic on 10.6.8 with the lion Kexts. In order to use graphics enabler I have to use a specific boot file. Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r749 modded with Kabyl code. My problem is this bootloader won't work with Lion. When I run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or Chimera latest it has the same crash as new Chameleon it dies at reading VBIOS from Legacy Space.

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
thank you azimutz for adding my device to your branch hihi. now after compiling the ati6000controller and the atix3000 kexts are loaded, lvds not working correctly because of the framebuffer i think, hdmi is working with qe/c

another question, belong this device really to the turks family, i have read something about vancouverA, is it important?

Hi Nai, sorry for the late reply.. i'm not following these topic regularly anymore.

Please pm me so we can talk or follow the ATi/AMD link on my signature and post there.

I'd like to know what framebuffer you're using so i can add it to the booter's code.

Hey maybe you guys can help me. I have a Mobility Radeon 5730. It works fantastic on 10.6.8 with the lion Kexts. In order to use graphics enabler I have to use a specific boot file. Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r749 modded with Kabyl code. My problem is this bootloader won't work with Lion. When I run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or Chimera latest it has the same crash as new Chameleon it dies at reading VBIOS from Legacy Space.

Any suggestions?

Hi Dr. jackson; Kabyl's work was added to the trunk (Chameleon) long time ago. Follow the "buildbots" link on my sig for the latest builds.

About your problem, can't help with Lion (i don't use it... yet). Show up in the topic i pointed above if you like...

Is there a list of all ATI Cards that work with no bin patching for this branch of Chameleon?

Just look at the plists inside the ATIRadeonXy00 kexts; if a dev id is not there, most likely will need bin patch.

• 1 month later...
If the card is not primary, then you need a <vendorid>_<deviceid>_<subsysid>.rom under /Extra.

Hello guys,

I have ATI 5500 Card, but am not able to make it work, below is my Graphic card profile

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68da

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

I did tried following steps.

• Install IATKOS S3 V2 with ATI_Int & 32bit Kernel
  • Update is using MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.6
  • Edit ATI5000Controller.kext and added my card device id 0x68DA1002
  • Extract BIOS using GPU-Z, below is screenshot

ati-5500-capture.png

• Am not sure about subsysid so i name The ROM image as 1002_68da_1462.rom and place it in /Extras
  • and finally copy Kabyl boot file.
  • After restarting system nothing happen. same 1024x768 resolution

:) Please help me what am doing wrong.

I have tried it more than 5 times and formated my system 6 times.

My system configuration is

Motherboard : Gigabyte 945GCMX-S2

RAM : 2 GB

Graphic Card : ATI Radeon HD 5500

• 2 weeks later...