AMD and Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.5 --> 10.6.8 Final[GUIDE]

Mohamed Khairy

1,350 posts in this topic

boot with bootcd 1.6 and make sure that your system have 10.6.5 update and see if card works or not

and Happy Holidays

Hey Mohamed, I have successfully installed SL! Much straightforward than what I'd expect it to be. I am now at 10.6.5. Thanks a bunch!! :censored2:

I just have a reread at your first post and realize one of the changes in BootCD 1.6 is the kabyl boot replacement.

Does that mean I no longer need to apply the kabyl boot file you linked earlier?

miniDP works right from the start with no issue whatsoever :wacko:

Now is there any specific driver for the 5970 so that I can keep the miniDP functional?

Thanks again, Mohamed :)

I've been reading the guide and most of the responses with efforts to get my retail snow leopard working with my system.

So far I was able to to use the Snow Leopard 10.6.1 10.6.2 Intel/AMD by Hazard to install OS X on my system. Everything worked fine until I updated to 10.6.5, when I try to boot OS X I get a black screen and the system freezes. So I gave up on that and decided to use a retail disc. I am trying to follow the guide but I cannot get to the welcome screen. When I use a SATA dvd drive with a IDE HDD I get "still looking for root device" and the HDD powers off. I have no AHCI option in my bios so this could be why I am getting that error.

My system specs:

Motherboard: ECS GeForce 6100SM-M

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 5600+

Using onboard graphics

RAM: 2 x 1 GB Mushkin DDR2 800

Using onboard audio

Thanks in advance!

First of all... thank you for the guide!

now into the problem...

I'm trying to install 10.6.3. I am not using any flags besides the -v command. The installation seems to run smoothly at first, I get to the "choose your language screen" all the way to the select drive and click install... then I get a kernel panic about 5 minutes into the installation.

I'm using the AtiNfroce CD. I have tried BootCD01, BootCD05 and BootCD06 also but those discs give me the "still waiting for root device" message.

I will try to run the install with -x on my next day off but would anyone mind taking a look at the log and give me some feedback?

thanks for your time!

Try to install with key "maxmem=2048". I have had the same problem once, with this key issue was not. But I dont know, just this problem was most of my motherboard, since there were problems with the support of 4 GB of RAM.

@Greenmead800

if you have three HDD like me

I install one os on one HDD

setup windows on First HDD

then make boot from from second HDD and install ubuntu

then make boot from third HDD to install mac now you have triple os

@one9092002

pfix is premisson fix this rebuild mkext caches for kernel

really idont know your problem cause but ican say to you to make new install and dont do more than that on guide

@Jaam

you use old guide nearly use new boot cd 1.5 or 1.6

and this panic from atiata kext so try to use achi mode for sata

and use sata dvd if you dont use it ;)

@tallgeese04

for program crashes and to use 8gb ram

use arch=i386 -force64

and do ternmial commands that on guide

for audio use latest voodoohda 2.72 if you have bad audio you can buy usb sound card it is cheap and it will work good :)

@tubbiesss

to boot from HDD :) use linked boot file kabyl

you can understand me :D

I've been reading the guide and most of the responses with efforts to get my retail snow leopard working with my system.

So far I was able to to use the Snow Leopard 10.6.1 10.6.2 Intel/AMD by Hazard to install OS X on my system. Everything worked fine until I updated to 10.6.5, when I try to boot OS X I get a black screen and the system freezes. So I gave up on that and decided to use a retail disc. I am trying to follow the guide but I cannot get to the welcome screen. When I use a SATA dvd drive with a IDE HDD I get "still looking for root device" and the HDD powers off. I have no AHCI option in my bios so this could be why I am getting that error.

My system specs:

Using onboard graphics

Using onboard audio

Thanks in advance!

can you restore retial on usb device and see if disk utilty read your HDD

My system specs:

Using onboard graphics

Using onboard audio

Thanks in advance!

The problem of "Still waiting for root device" is that the SATA-drive not working on nforce chipsets using AppleNforceATA.kext. A black screen appears most likely due to the fact that you are using integrated graphics.

Ok, I am going to try to use a 8 GB USB Flash drive instead of the retail disc, but the problem is that I do not have a OS X installation anymore becuase I formatted the HDD. I will try to install Snow Leopard by Hazard and try to restore to USB Flash Drive.

Thanks for the help!!

Hey Mohamed! Thanks for the help until now.

Was out on vacation. back now.

need a little help if possible.

Everything working great.(got the correct resolution as well)

BUT quartz extreme is not enabled. most of the application say "quartz extreme is disabled".how do i enable it?

P.S -> my graphics card is recognized as "ATI HD 5700 Series".

hey mate i take your advice and bought a dedicated graphics card its not the best but it should do the job its "ati sapphire 5670" so i was wondering where could get the drivers?

also my mate tried to install the retail mac on his amd pc but half way through the installation it keeps freezing and we dont know why. Il try and tell you his specs for the ones i can remember i think its

sony vaio laptop

amd athlon

3gb ram

sorry thats not much but when i see him next il ask him.

thanks

I have a tiny little problem :D

Install of OSX SL with BootCD 1.6 -> Complete

Reboot -> Complete

creating Local User -> Complete

OSX starts up and then i have the Standard OSX Wallpaper but no Dock or other things -.-" he switches between OSX Wallpaper and Blue Screen

My Spec:

Amd Phenom X4 9850 BE

MoBo: Asus M3A32MVP-Deluxe WiFI-AP

4GB Ram

Nvidia GTX 260

"TestHDD" 320GB

need help ;)

thanks ;)

Oh No!!!

Something has happened to my mac install. I had it up and running fine. (I got it to work about 4 hours after my very first post several days ago.) Anyway, someone was using my system and hit update to version 10.6.5. That is when the trouble started. Before the update my system used to boot up just fine from the chameleon bootloader. Now when the system boots up, it goes to text and leaves this:

Running fsck on the boot volume...

/dev/rdisk0s2: Can't initialize disk cache

/dev/rdisk0s2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_hfs MANUALLY.

/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8

** /dev/rdisk0s2

Can't initialize disk cache

/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8

fsck failed!

Kext Loading now disabled.

Kext unloading now disabled.

Kext Autounloading now disabled.

Kernel requests now disabled.

Can't get kextd port.

continuing

syncing disks... Killing all processes done

CPU halted; It's now safe to turn off your computer

After this the computer automatically just shuts down.

Where did I go wrong? I am assuming that I am going to need to boot into the system with some sort of flag using the bootcd. (I am using 1.5 now.) But same thing no matter how I boot the system it does the same thing.

@tubbiesss

to boot from HDD :) use linked boot file kabyl

you can understand me :D

:D

With the kabyl boot file (and help from a good friend :D ) I am now able boot from HDD :)

But now I'm stuck trying to get my HD5970 to work. Have tried adding devid to ATI5000controller.kext and disabling 2nd GPU but ended with a kernal panic.

Right now miniDP still works without driver but do you, by any chance, have any idea on how to get it fully functional? :)

Hello,

First off Mohammad thanks so much for posting this golden information and having the patience to deal with everyone's issues. I hope you can help me with mine.

I have followed the guide as follows:

1. Burn BootCD.iso to CD

2. Boot from BootCD.iso and when the chameleon shows, swap the disk for the Snow Leopard install DVD. (I am using the retail 10.6.1, that might be the issue?)

3. Use flags if needed. (-v, bus=16 (not exact), etc.)

4. I can actually SEE the installation screen, as shown on the pictures.

(Welcome Screen)

But as I click next, I get this error:

(Cannot install)

I have set AHCI and As SATA type (I use a SATA DVD Drive.) and I have also removed my Graphics card (EVGA GTX 460) to get this far.

I am using BootCD v1.5 (12-22-2010)

Any help is appreciated.

Happy holidays and thank you again!

-Santos

post-709674-1293689841_thumb.jpg

post-709674-1293689853_thumb.jpg

Hi Mohamed,

How much inconvenient with it be for you if you post a descriptive video on youtube. There's no video as such of SL 10.6.5 on AMD. It's a humble request.

Also, if anyone of your followers could do it.

My struggle is, in AHCI mode I only get one SATA port out of 5, now either I can connect a SATA HD on it or a SATA DVD. I feel cursed. Above all stupid on-board ATI Radeon HD4250. Went and bought another stupid card "GALAXY" 8400GS 512RAM, as every other manufacturer is working. Here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...39203&st=40

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H (rev. 1.3)

Cpu: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T

Thanks.

Hello,

First off Mohammad thanks so much for posting this golden information and having the patience to deal with everyone's issues. I hope you can help me with mine.

1. Burn BootCD.iso to CD

2. Boot from BootCD.iso and when the chameleon shows, swap the disk for the Snow Leopard install DVD. (I am using the retail 10.6.1, that might be the issue?)

(Welcome Screen)

(Cannot install)

I have set AHCI and As SATA type (I use a SATA DVD Drive.) and I have also removed my Graphics card (EVGA GTX 460) to get this far.

Any help is appreciated.

-Santos

I have had same problem with Retail 10.6 and 10.6.3 snow leopard. I know no solution to it.

My specs:

GA-880GM-UD2H (rev. 1.3) with Phenom II X6 1055T

ok my system is back up and running perfectly. (I fixed everything)

I wanted to thank all of you again for all of your assistance. I have no issues to date. My usb works fine, sound is fine and everything is working. I am new to this but if I can help anyone in any way I will try my best. (I am learning every day as I go along.

I wanted to thank all of you again for all of your assistance. I have no issues to date. My usb works fine, sound is fine and everything is working. I am new to this but if I can help anyone in any way I will try my best. (I am learning every day as I go along.

Could you please mention your motherboard, if it's Gigabyte GA 880GM-UD2H (Rev 1.3), please mention the BIOS settings you had.

Hey Mohamed! Thanks for the help until now.

Was out on vacation. back now.

need a little help if possible.

Everything working great.(got the correct resolution as well)

BUT quartz extreme is not enabled. most of the application say "quartz extreme is disabled".how do i enable it?

P.S -> my graphics card is recognized as "ATI HD 5700 Series".

use kabyl boot linked on latest update on guide

hey mate i take your advice and bought a dedicated graphics card its not the best but it should do the job its "ati sapphire 5670" so i was wondering where could get the drivers?

also my mate tried to install the retail mac on his amd pc but half way through the installation it keeps freezing and we dont know why. Il try and tell you his specs for the ones i can remember i think its

sony vaio laptop

amd athlon

3gb ram

sorry thats not much but when i see him next il ask him.

thanks

use kabyl boot on latest update

and for anther pc tell me more details about it

I have a tiny little problem :D

Install of OSX SL with BootCD 1.6 -> Complete

Reboot -> Complete

creating Local User -> Complete

OSX starts up and then i have the Standard OSX Wallpaper but no Dock or other things -.-" he switches between OSX Wallpaper and Blue Screen

My Spec:

Amd Phenom X4 9850 BE

MoBo: Asus M3A32MVP-Deluxe WiFI-AP

4GB Ram

Nvidia GTX 260

"TestHDD" 320GB

need help :P

do you use HDMI did you tried to trun off screen and then trun on it try use anther output from gfx card

:D

With the kabyl boot file (and help from a good friend :D ) I am now able boot from HDD :)

But now I'm stuck trying to get my HD5970 to work. Have tried adding devid to ATI5000controller.kext and disabling 2nd GPU but ended with a kernal panic.

Right now miniDP still works without driver but do you, by any chance, have any idea on how to get it fully functional? :)

try follow this

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=230874

good luck :)

Hello,

1. Burn BootCD.iso to CD

(Welcome Screen)

(Cannot install)

Any help is appreciated.

-Santos

try use boot cd 1.6 and if it doest work try use 10.6.3

to me i didnt faced this problem so it will take some tries :)

Hi Mohamed,

How much inconvenient with it be for you if you post a descriptive video on youtube. There's no video as such of SL 10.6.5 on AMD. It's a humble request.

Also, if anyone of your followers could do it.

My struggle is, in AHCI mode I only get one SATA port out of 5, now either I can connect a SATA HD on it or a SATA DVD. I feel cursed. Above all stupid on-board ATI Radeon HD4250. Went and bought another stupid card "GALAXY" 8400GS 512RAM, as every other manufacturer is working. Here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...39203&st=40

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H (rev. 1.3)

Cpu: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T

Thanks.

I have had same problem with Retail 10.6 and 10.6.3 snow leopard. I know no solution to it.

My specs:

GA-880GM-UD2H (rev. 1.3) with Phenom II X6 1055T

what is your problem now ? you cant reach install screen or what

good :)

Thanks for the link :D

I have actually mixed several methods, which I can't remember :P but it includes Spanky's and I ended up able to only run through DVI.

Just a couple of hours ago I started a new installation. Since I am trying to run 10.6.5, I took a slightly different step than the one you wrote on the 1st page (edit: forgot to mention; I was referring to your other thread :)) The steps I took was:

- installed 10.6.3

- update to 10.6.5

- ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.0.3 > installed Chameleon r679 + 32-bit Apple Boot Screen

- placed 1002_689C.rom in Extra folder, edit apple.plist

- installed modded ATI5000Controller.kext & ATIRadeonX3000.kext

- replaced boot with Kabyl's latest

- reboot

and now I am staring at a blank ACD and, beside me, an old monitor that connects to DVI @ 1280x1024. not so much different than before :) (another edit: just realized I've got audio off my ACD :D)

I tried inputting the AtiFb flag and tried several framebufferes (about 5) but it seems it doesn't affect anyting. Still boots in with no apparent changes (yet another edit: apparently, the new kabyl boot requires "AtiConfig" flag. Tried that and still no apparent difference; still boots in DVI)

I have even went ahead and tried the Eyeinfinity files you uploaded... surprisingly I am still able to boot with no difference whatsoever :)

Is there still hope of running through the mini display port on a 5970?

NB: pre-installation and everything before running [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] works through miniDP

Sorry for the lengthy message, Mohamed ^^;

But I am only days away from giving up and prepare to sell my 5970 and get a 5770 instead ^^;

Thanks again and Happy New Year :D

Mohamed could you please make me a bootcd that I can use to boot my computer which has an ati hd 4850 vid. card... your bootcd1.6 hangs at disk6: ioctl(_IOR,'d' ,79,4) is unsupported!!! Please make me a succcessful bootcd! I have no experience with making bootcds so i have no hope of making one myself!

Thanks for your speedy response! ... and sorry I took long to answer...

I've tried bootcd1.5 and 1.6 and both give me "still waiting for root device"

the board is set as follows:

OnChip IDE Channel [Enabled]

OnChip SATA Controller [Enabled]

OnChip SATA Type [AHCI]

OnChipSATA Port4/5 Type [iDE] - system won't boot of cd drive when set as [As SATA Type]

Onboard Audio Function [Enabled]

OnChip USB Controller [Enabled]

USB Keyboard Support [Enabled]

USB Mouse Support [Enabled]

LEgacy USB storage detect [Enabled]

Onboard 1392 Function [Enabled]

Onboard LAN Funciton [Enabled]

the AtiNforce bootcd is the only one that's been able to get me to the installation screen but it freezes 5 mins into the installation as I posted previously.

I'm going to try to restore SL to a USB...

Until then any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ok, I have gone through all 30 framebuffers using Kabyl's latest boot.

Flag was 'AtiConfig' and rom named 1002_689C_25421002.rom (<- unsure of this)

This time I unplugged my DVI monitor, just in case there are issues with dual display, but there seems to be no change with every single FB I tried =\

Hope I'm not doing it wrong cos another 30 reboots won't be fun >.<

Any other suggestions or is the miniDP on a 5970 is just not possible? :D

I´m stuck at the boot process of the installer :/

I´m using the 1.6 BootCD and an 8GB USB Stick with an restored Image of Snow Leopard (10.6.3). I restored it using an VMWare image of Leopard because I don´t own a Macintosh.

I made photo of the boot process. I hope someone can help me there ;)

Edit:

Quick System Specs:

Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 (latest BIOS)

Phenom II 965BE @ Standard 3.4 GHz

8GB DDR3 RAM

MSI HD5870 Rev.2

post-502953-1294108453_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I too have gone through all 30 AtiConfig framebuffer entries. I either get a hang just before the graphics should appear or I get a screen that is black with 4 columns of white vertical bars and misc snow.

I have a HD4870 512MB VisionTek running in a Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe, 2 GB ram, AMD 9850 Phenom.

I run Leopard 10.5.8 and 10.5.6 on two different HD's with no problems.

Looking to move to SL on it's own drive but can't get past this video??? problem.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh yes, 4870 Bios 011.003.000.001 I also ensured there is no overclocking set.

Cheers