Where Should I Go On My Honeymoon?

12 posts in this topic

Okay folks, so here's the deal! I'm getting married next year insh'Allah (by the will of Allah), and I'm hoping to take my soon-to-be-bride on a nice honeymoon. The problem is that there are a few restrictions. Firstly, we're both practicing Muslims, which has a few implications. For one, she wears hijab (head cover) and secondly we both only eat halal (think kosher) meat.

On the financial front I'm trying to stay within a budget of 10 grand USD. If things go well insh'Allah, I should be finishing up year two of law school and working for a law firm during the summer, which means I can only take out a max of 2 weeks for any kind of a getaway.

I'd narrowed things down to two very general categories. I could take her on a tour of Europe via train. This has the advantages of most of the sites being in public places, which means she can keep her hijab on and still have a good time, and I also happen to know my way around Europe since I've already visited most of the countries. The downside to this is that I'd be staying at a different hotel every night, and doubt I'd get as good a package deal as if I was staying at the same place for a long stay. Also, it's not so private and as I said, I've been to most of these places before, so seeing them again won't be as exciting for me.

The second thought was a "private island." This is the one I'm leaning more towards and there are a few options on this front. I could take her to Fiji, or French Polynesia, or Mirihi http://www.mirihi.com/welcome.html. While this seems really great, I don't know how "private" these private beaches really are. The real problem here is she can't slip into a bikini unless we literally had the island or beachfront to ourselves. This is also an issue with any kind of service being provided on the island, as it would have to be either female-only, or she'd want to be covered up when men were coming around--which is kind of a turnoff. The meat would have to be halal too, which might be difficult to find at most of these spots versus the big cities of Europe. Also, I don't really know how long of a stay I can fit into my budget at one of these places...they seem rather pricey.

So that's it folks, please let me know your thoughts and thanks for taking the time to read this and leave your input!

The Maldives are absolutely gorgeous, do you know of them?

It is an Islamic republic as well, so you can get Halal food, I'm sure. :) Not 100% sure about a private beach, but you'd have as good a possibility as anywhere! For one, it is composed of a ton of islands... Really, google maldives and halal, etc. And, I don't think they'll be around in 100 years due to rising sea levels, so might be the only chance.

Oh, and congratulations, of course. :)

Dubai might be a cool place. Very accepting of Muslims (obviously) and VERY lavish surroundings. You could even take her to stay on the man made island! Plus you can fly from most places in Europe.

[Ladies look away]

There's also a ton of shopping, which I'm sure she'd enjoy. And as far as bikinis go... since it's your honeymoon and all, if I were you I'd be planning for where the clothes won't be rather than where they will be. :D Just from man to man... :thumbsdown_anim:

[Ok ladies, you can look again]

And congrats!!!

Baah, Beaches, sun 24/7 and guessing who designed the bikinis get old. I'd try shooting fo Eastern Europe. Tons of shopping for her and it's so cheap you can extend you stay for a month. What's an extra 2 weeks of fun taking in the culture, romance, and change of scenery?

Oh, I say guessing swimsuite designers because that is the closest you will ever get to another woman's trunks outside of your own family my friend :graduated:. Have a happy last year of being short of "freedom" and a have a wonder transition to another kind of life.

To all of you, thank you for letting me know your thoughts and wishing us congratulations. This will have been a six year engagement by the time we tie the knot insh'Allah, so I'm very excited about next year.

Mash, Dubai is definitely a nice place with tons of shopping (though that's probably a bad thing for my budget). I lived there for about 6 months and I'd say my biggest quam about the place is it seemed too plastic. I had been there before for only a 2 week stay and loved it, so I'm guessing Dubai is okay for a short while, but outside of the Burj Al Arab (world's only 7 star hotel apparently), where you get your own private everything at 1.5 grand a night, I don't really know any "private" locations there. As far as where the clothes won't be, man to man, I think I'll have my bases coverd insh'Allah :D

domino, I've never been to Eastern Europe, but I have definitely heard good things. In terms of specific countries and sights do you have any recommendations? Staying for a month sounds like a treat, but I'm certain I'd get a max of 2 weeks off from any reputable law firm.

cyrana, I have in fact heard of the maldives from a cousin of my fiance's at whose house my fiance and I first met. He said he loved the place and you just reminded me of it, so I'll definitely look into it more. Any idea about a budget?

Generally guys I guess I'm torn between going someplace exotic and splurging and going someplace not so exotic and splurging. I want to either stay in honeymoon suites, eat the best meals, and take the outrageous tours or lie on the beach and just chill. Ah well, I suppose there have been tougher choices man has had to make :D

Dude, I think some places in Hawaii have some private beaches. You may want to check some of the hotels there, and see if you can reserve one.

EDIT: The fish there is good. Not sure if can you eat that or not.

I used to vacation in Florida, but the hurricanes destroyed most of the good vacation spots. :poster_oops:

suleiman, first of all let me say congratulations. I think Mirihi is an excellent option. After reading about it and finding some reviews I want to go one day myself. And Maldives embraces Islam as you probably already know. (Although I personally don't like the alcohol ban.)

I bet Thailand would be nice also... beautiful beaches and nature and the people have always intrigued me.

Have you tried wikitravel for less biased information?

I've never been to Eastern Europe, but I have definitely heard good things. In terms of specific countries and sights do you have any recommendations? Staying for a month sounds like a treat, but I'm certain I'd get a max of 2 weeks off from any reputable law firm.

I've never been either. I made the mistake by taking a 3 month vacation in Spain, Netherlands, and Belgium. A month for each country. $8 grand was just not enough... i plan to take 2 months next year in Albania and Romania. But I'm afraid it will be too late for my recommendation.

I've never been either. I made the mistake by taking a 3 month vacation in Spain, Netherlands, and Belgium. A month for each country. $8 grand was just not enough... i plan to take 2 months next year in Albania and Romania. But I'm afraid it will be too late for my recommendation.
I lived in Romania and have romanian step family now, and have stayed in Piatzu Uniri (Bucaresti), Sania (mountains), and Constanesti (black sea coast). That was '97 (I was 19) but I wouldn't consider that a honeymoon trip. I learned alot and am a different person now but if you go to Romania only go to Sania and Brasov (A must see, the Black Church blew my mind as well as the medevil square). Not a honeymoon vacation.

Romanians hate Albanians (muslims) btw.

Definately drive fron Bucaresti to Transylvania and see the real Vlad's castle (ruins, climb over 5000 steps) then see the outpost Bram Stoker stayed at. I made that drive in august and the sunflowers and the mountain side were beautiful. (Hope you dont mind outhouses though.) Also be sure to see the 'the people's palace' in Bucharesti and the various orthodox churches that have saints. Don't kiss the bones though. (Unless thats your thing, if not you will be more interested in seeing them kissing the bones, but the architecture of the churches is amazing.)