[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

As I was backing up my HD preparing to format and repartition the drive with Chameleon on its own partition so I could keep Windows 7 Professional on the primary drive for the Mac Os x dual boot with Mac Os x on the secondary drive, I was doing more research on the keyboard workstation I was ready to purchase (Roland Fantom G8) before I parted with the $3,500. During this research I stumbled upon this magnificent beast created by a new company called Music Computing,

which I now have my heart set on getting. Pictured here is the 61-key. I'll be getting the 88-key of course. 3.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 650 processor, Windows 7 64 bit, 8 Gb of ram and 2 x 2Tb HD's. This would totally replace using my DV8T for my music production and recording. But I have the same issue because of Apple being the scum bags they are Logic Pro no longer runs in Windows. So I will truly put v2.0 to the test attempting get Mac Os x and Logic Pro running seamlessly on my StudioBlade. Probably won't be ordering it for another 2 months because I'm leaving the country for a bit, but I'm trying to get in touch with the manufacturer to see what motherboard and sound card is used in the system.

I know your busy Mammoth but could you give a brief summary of how v2.0 will be so streamlined it can be used to get Mac Os x installed and running smoothly on virtually any system?

Wow, that thing stomps my Axiom 49! Looks pretty awesome and will be very curious to find out if we can get OS X to run on that thing. Might be a bit of challenge.

Yeah, I'm really busy trying to get v2.0 out to you all, so once I get it released we can talk more shop and details. :censored2:

Wow, that thing stomps my Axiom 49! Looks pretty awesome and will be very curious to find out if we can get OS X to run on that thing. Might be a bit of challenge.

Yeah, I'm really busy trying to get v2.0 out to you all, so once I get it released we can talk more shop and details. :censored2:

Thanks... Good to go

Release date slipped?? :help::unsure:

Not yet... I've got 'til 11:59 PM GMT -8:00 technically, so I've got about 9 hours left. Probably going to need all of them, but I'm really trying to make it. :P

Things going very well, which IS good! It's just A LOT OF WORK to get all of it good enough to release.

I'll give a status update when I think I've got like an hour to go before release.

:help: <--- Slave boy Mammoth

I wish I could say I was patiently waiting but unfortunatly Ive never liked waiting for anything.. if u want i can also help test the 2.0 guides for ya to help iron things out

Hang in there Franky. I'm working feverishly all night until I get it right.

I test things very thoroughly so that when I do release, stuff works. Speaking of which, I am currently working on a little bug I bumped into. It would have been a big bug (some people would not have been able to boot), but it should be easy for me to correct. So I'm working on that now.

I should be back on track soon.

Like I've said, I won't release until it's all working... and I'm sure that's the way most want it. ;)

BUGS! => :) <= Mammoth

p.s. These things happen! But better they're happening to just me instead of all of you! :)

Release date slipped?? :help::)

Well... looks like so now. :(

I'm still working on this bug; a little harder to track down than I thought. Shouldn't be happening, wasn't happening before, so I'm just going to have to keep digging 'til I figure it out.

If you're waiting up hoping I will be able to release today... get some sleep or do things you need to get done. It's not going to happen today. If it wasn't for this bug, I probably could have made it.

So Looks like I need another day. Sorry all. You probably have no idea how this is crushing me. :( I've REALLY got to get this done.

I WILL let you know when I crush this bug, then you will know things are back on track.

:)

Back to work for me.....

OK everyone, I figured out the problem.

There is a BIG difference between using a combined MIID with both the Chameleon & Mac OS X Install DVD files on it, and separating them into devices of their own. In other words, the MIID on one flash drive, and the OS X Install DVD files on another. If anybody tried it that way let me know, and I'm pretty sure it didn't work, right? Please let me know about this ASAP.

So what I thought was going to be a little problem actually was a big problem. Thank God I was finally testing everything before releasing! Most of the time I was using my 8 GB flash drive or sometimes an external USB hard drive, both combined MIID devices! I assumed separating them would be no big deal so long as both were present. Wrong! When I tried using just a single MIID by itself, that's when all hell broke loose.

SO, now I will find a solution so this will all work as we need. I'm going to work on it a bit more tonight, it's like 1:15AM here, then I'm going to get some sleep and hit it again early tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted.

:)

I'm sorry l'm a little confused by your latest post.

You mean to say the boot disk and install disc on separate USBs didn't work for you?? If that is what you are saying then l can safely say it does for me...

So, you had two separate USB devices, let's say they were flash drives (but tell me, actually what did you use?). You were able to connect them both to the machine at the same time, boot to the MIID (the bootable one), see the Mac OS X Install Files on the other flash drive, select it, and start the Installer?

If this is true, then I will have to do another test as I was using a flash drive for my MIID and then a USB hard drive for the OS X files, and THAT was not working.

===================================================

On another note and for everyone,

This "bug" has led to some massive discoveries! I am very excited to get up tomorrow and try all the stuff that has come to light tonight. You'll have to wait 'til I have a chance to verify everything tomorrow, but this will make all this pain from the delay worth it. The release IS COMING everyone. So, so close!

:):trumpet::moil:

Is there any hope that the WIFI card would work with the new v2 ?

If not I have a EDIMAX EW-7811Un nano USB adapter, it's soooo small :blink:

It looks like this should work with no issues ? or am I wrong :thumbsup_anim:

//Peter

my wireless card seems to be working on OSX 10.7, but i still can't get USB fully working to see if my wireless card really works or not

I tink it's a DSDT problem although i am using NIXin great tool !!!!

Hope i can fix it soon before mammoth Release

@NIXin, can i PM you?

UPDATE

I went and bought some more 8 GB flash drives JUST so I could do some more conclusive testing.

With 2 flash drives, it DOES work as I had designed it to. So that's good.

I am now looking into the USB hard drive + flash drive combo to see what the issue is there. I believe I'm close to resolving these issues now, and then can get back on track.

Maybe it's your brand of hard drive, the partition type or format. Doesn't it have to be GUID formatted per disk utility in OS X to function as an install disk?

I am actually in the middle of testing this now, as that does indeed look like what it may be.

I am using a USB BlacX SATA hard drive cradle from Thermaltake. It shows up as "Generic device" in the DV8 boot menu. So it may be something with the cradle or the hard drive. I have just erased the hard drive, re-partitioned, and am restoring the OS DVD to it now and then I will test to see if issue gone.

I also have a standard USB hard drive I tested, and that one works. So results soon everyone.

:P

If not I have a EDIMAX EW-7811Un nano USB adapter, it's soooo small :D

It looks like this should work with no issues ? or am I wrong :(

//Peter

Thanks to NIXin, v2.00 will show you how to modify your BIOS so that any OS X SUPPORTED Wi-Fi card WILL work!

:rolleyes:

If not I have a EDIMAX EW-7811Un nano USB adapter, it's soooo small :)

It looks like this should work with no issues ? or am I wrong :wacko:

//Peter

Peter,

I have the same very small wireless-n USB adapter, and it works fine under OS X, even comes with or you can download OS X drivers, that is provided of course your USB is working under OS X.

Cheers, MSoK.

P.S. Looking forward to trying your new v2 method Mammoth, appreciate all the effort you are putting in to this topic / project, my experience is in the VMware virtualisation world, although I have tried and got Tony Mac's [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] method to work on my laptop and workstation, but both are ready and waiting for your new installation guides.

I am actually in the middle of testing this now, as that does indeed look like what it may be.

I am using a USB BlacX SATA hard drive cradle from Thermaltake. It shows up as "Generic device" in the DV8 boot menu. So it may be something with the cradle or the hard drive. I have just erased the hard drive, re-partitioned, and am restoring the OS DVD to it now and then I will test to see if issue gone.

I also have a standard USB hard drive I tested, and that one works. So results soon everyone.

:wacko:

This is very strange. I took the SATA drive out of the USB cradle, installed it in extSATA enclosure, connected to the DV8's extSATA connector, the DV8 IS able to see the drive and the Mac OS X Install DVD on it, but same issue...

============

One more test and then I'm going to make the command decision to move on, note it in the guides, and figure it all out later.

Maybe it's your brand of hard drive, the partition type or format. Doesn't it have to be GUID formatted per disk utility in OS X to function as an install disk?

Not neccesarily. I managed to install OSX and get a dual booting system without formatting, using an MBR disk.

I opened diskmgmt.msc, deleted an existing Linux partition + it's swap space, then deleted the free space making it unallocated. I then entered command prompt and used diskutil:

select disk 0

create partition id=af

which creates a partition using all available free space with the ID of 0xAF (which MacOS reads as HFS+).

Using the Nawcom boot cd, I booted the installer, got the disk utility up, attempted a repair on the volume which failed - I then formatted the disk and did another repair, which worked, and then showed as a HFS+ partition, which I was then able to install Mac OS X on.

I then rebooted, used the Windows 7 Recovery disk (which did not find any win7 installations) to open command prompt and use diskutil to set Windows as the active partition. I then restarted and booted the disk again - this time it found Windows 7 and said: "Boot corrupt, press repair to install boot files".

I then rebooted, got up Chameleon, and started the Windows NTFS partition.

So without formatting, I now have a dual-booting system and managed to save all my files. I guess backing up was still a good idea though..

Now to just figure out how to make my ATI card boot with a given framebuffer... :D

UPDATE

Hey everyone, I had some personal things I had to take care of today but I'm back at it now.

So here is what I've found: It's a Chameleon / configuration issue. I've tried some different hard drives, etc., same issue. So I'm working on it now and will report once resolved.

Sorry everyone. I had no idea this problem was laying waiting for me like a land mine. I will be getting to bed here pretty soon so I can get up early tomorrow and hit it hard.