[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

Is there a way to control the volume from the volume icon in the taskbar? I can slide it up and down, but it doesn't lower the volume in safari, quicktime, vlc etc.

Also, what is the advantage of running a modded dsdt as opposed to running a generic one like myself?

I went to Apple.com in Safari, and played the new iPhone commercial video. The Menu Bar volume slider did lower and raise the volume for me; however, it was a little off in that at first, lowering it a slight bit basically muted it. Then I went and set the volume slider in Safari (on the QuickTime window) to about half, then the Menu Bar slider worked about as it should.

DSDT edits is what makes some things and other things work better.

i'm pretty sure the popping sound can be fixed through DSDT, Finishing my 2 assignments within the next few weeks, so have 3 months off, Seeing as IDT is Intel chipset I cannot see it being a problem designing it to work, probably will require me to binpatch the AppleHDA from an older supported IDT to a newer, i'm pretty sure about the popping and DSDT, had popping on my Gigabyte UDR3, Core i7 setup but managed to fix the popping sound, i'm sure it won't be any different. Give me some time :D I've got my laptop up and running with 10.6.6, Sound and Video i will have to mess around, Might trying installing the seed of 10.6.7 to see if any updates regarding ATI mobility. Just waiting for support for madison chipset :D

Also runbning 6GB ram setup though have to force64 kernel, Webcam and Cardreader, Webcam works with AndyV's kext and Card reader works by default though for cosmetic reasons you can use AndyV's kext to make it show in profiler.

Sound can work with VoodooHDA but I have never favoured that project because it sends ports to the wrong ports, I like using Linux to create a graphical map then I can make my own audio layout so all ports work. Seeing as there is only 2 ports and one int mic for webcam, Should be easy.

Awesome Atlee!

If you can fix the popping sound, that would be crazy! When you are ready to start work on it, let you know and we'll share everything we know about it so far.

With the new version of my guides, you won't have to use force64 anymore and you can have 4, 6, 8, or more GB of RAM installed with no problem. ;)

Our sound works and without Voodoo! We still have some adjustments to make at this time, but other than that, works very well.

dont forget the digital out, headphone & mic jack on the quick dock. being able to route to those would b awesome. i have a pair of studio monitors that i use the spdif on, and it would be nice to have multiple outs for some of my audio progz

Thanks for mentioning this. We need to put this on our list of things to fix then.

I have tried Your boot to thumb drive, I-boot . MBCD iso, Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r747 (pkg) from Kexts.com,

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=218768 guide

Guide from http://lifehacker.com/#!5351485/how-to...start-to-finish on how to build thumb drive boot and installing kexts give to use from Snow Leopard and Windows 7 Dual Boot on a HP DV7.

everthing will not boot or goes in to loop as per your thumb drive guide you have given

Hi Bmttinman,

Sorry you're having such problems getting a working system. ;) You are not the only one though as there are others having the same "NO luck". Hang in there as soon we will start focusing on getting each of these systems to work.

Thank you for the trouble you endured.

I am running on 32 Bit. I don't know why, but I never thought that it would otherwise make any difference. I'll try 64 Bit.

Actually, I am not that obssed with S3 sleep, all I care is audio after sleep issue. I already have S0 sleep working, which is quite enough.

Please take a look at the following screenshot. I checked an ioreg from a Mac and it has this key but with correct values. I also checked a few ioreg dump found in the forum but they don't have that key. I don't know why I have it. Do you guys have PowerProfile. Could you please check it?

post-562417-1298248817_thumb.jpg

Also, today, I found a DSDT fix in Ubuntu Forum which addresses a bios bug that exists in most of the Hp laptops which appears when an operation system other than Vista and Windows 7 is used. Apparently, the problem causes overheating, abnormal fan noise etc.

I have been testing it for a few hours and I can confirm that in my case I started to hear less fan noise. I'll post it after I test it further.

I don't know if it is applicable to your machines though.

Thanks for all your input and help JBraddock!

I just checked on my machine and I DO have the PowerProfile, just as depicted in your .JPG.

I have tried the USB and CD method on my dv6 3006tx (i5, ATI) without any luck- it just restarts and spits out an error about dsdt..

Anyone have this laptop up and running?

@CableGuy187 and all,

It has seemed that those with i5 have had a lot of trouble getting OS X to install.

Please be patient as I have high confidence we CAN get your machines to work. A big focus of this next release IS getting everyone's machine to work. Because configurations can be so different, this is a big challenge.

I am working on the guides right now, and they are a LOT of work as so much has changed and there is SO much more information I want everyone to have. It is a little frustrating because I know I'm still not going to have time to get everything in I want to, but even so, the new guides will be packed with info, and a valuable resource to all.

Once I reach being 95% finished with the guides, then we can do more BETA testing and figure out how to get all the machines that can work, working.

@KiD KuN, just to make sure.

Can you please run pmset -g | grep hibernate on terminal and see if it returns hibernatemode 3. If so, what do you mean "Mine shows black screen..."

Could please also use sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3 command to try different sleep modes.

Especially, 1 and also 0. Don't forget to uncheck Secure Virtual Memory under Security and put your machine into sleep after a restart.

Still, if you have sleep successfully working including audio, would you mind uploading your Extra folder and boot file your are using right now. Finally, if it is too much to ask for, can please share your ioreg dump as well.

I took a look at your DSDT and noticed a few difference compared to mine. I would like to examine further.

Thanks,

@ Mammoth, did you try adding those two usb related keys I'd shared above to your boot.plist alongside with Wake=Yes and then restart. After that put machine into sleep. Also, would you mind sending me your Extra folder and DSDT file. You can send me pm if your don't want to share it right now.

Thanks,

@ JBraddock

I am reallyt sorry i cant do anything at the moment. This is the situation: last time i beta tested Mammoths BOOT CD for v2.0 , i had to format my 10.6.2 working partition that had everything working.So now i am just waiting for mammoths v2.0 disc to start from scratch since i want to use os x as my main system. and right now i really have a alota time constraints as i have to read for my CCNA exam that is coming up soon. Thanks alot though. and i am really sorry.

@JBraddock

I am reallyt sorry i cant do anything at the moment. This is the situation: last time i beta tested Mammoths BOOT CD for v2.0 , i had to format my 10.6.2 working partition that had everything working.So now i am just waiting for mammoths v2.0 disc to start from scratch since i want to use os x as my main system. and right now i really have a alota time constraints as i have to read for my CCNA exam that is coming up soon. Thanks alot though. and i am really sorry.

No problem KiD KuN. Please take your time and whenever you are available please try to test what I said above and let me know.

I wish you success in your exams.

No problem KiD KuN. Please take your time and whenever you are available please try to test what I said above and let me know.

I wish you success in your exams.

Thanks alot mate. And just one more thing, can you tell me how to get my sound working on 10.6.3? also what kext is used for ps/2 keyboard plus trackpad. i tried using voodoops2controller but doesnt work. if you can help me sort this, i can do the tests you asked for!

Thanks alot mate. And just one more thing, can you tell me how to get my sound working on 10.6.3? also what kext is used for ps/2 keyboard plus trackpad. i tried using voodoops2controller but doesnt work. if you can help me sort this, i can do the tests you asked for!

For audio try this. For keyboard and trackpad try kexts in this topic. Remove any other keyboard related kexts and install VoodooPS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext to Extra folder. It should be ok.

I went to Apple.com in Safari, and played the new iPhone commercial video. The Menu Bar volume slider did lower and raise the volume for me; however, it was a little off in that at first, lowering it a slight bit basically muted it. Then I went and set the volume slider in Safari (on the QuickTime window) to about half, then the Menu Bar slider worked about as it should.

DSDT edits is what makes some things and other things work better.

Awesome Atlee!

If you can fix the popping sound, that would be crazy! When you are ready to start work on it, let you know and we'll share everything we know about it so far.

With the new version of my guides, you won't have to use force64 anymore and you can have 4, 6, 8, or more GB of RAM installed with no problem. ;)

Our sound works and without Voodoo! We still have some adjustments to make at this time, but other than that, works very well.

Thanks for mentioning this. We need to put this on our list of things to fix then.

Hi Bmttinman,

Sorry you're having such problems getting a working system. :) You are not the only one though as there are others having the same "NO luck". Hang in there as soon we will start focusing on getting each of these systems to work.

Thanks for all your input and help JBraddock!

I just checked on my machine and I DO have the PowerProfile, just as depicted in your .JPG.

My issue is that the volume slider doesn't work at all. It is frustrating. I have 10.6.5 running great using the voodoo sound kext. I went ahead and bought the program called Hear to adjust the volumes of all apps that use the volume so it is a workaround(although an expensive one) for now. I just can't understand why the default taskbar slider doesn't work.

Ok. :) Just to let you know guys that I've fixed the black screen issue on wake I was having when sleep mode 3 is used. Apparently, although I didn't have shutdown (a.k.a _PTS) and cmos reset problem, I did apply those fixes and now black screen issue is gone.

I believe PTS hack has fixed the issue for me. This explains why KiD KuN reported that sleep mode 3 was working for him.

Now, only problem I have on my HDX is no audio after sleep issue.

Once I have solved that I will have a beautiful hackintosh.

@JBraddock

When i was on 10.6.2 is when i had audio after sleep. do you want that kext to test?

By kext, if you mean AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2, I am using it right now.

But if you have a different LegacyAppleHDA.kext or something else please send it to me so I can test it.

Thanks.

Taptun Hello, how are you?

Can you help me clarify some things.

I have studied your dsdt, in order to have the HDMI on my envy G105M, I've noticed that your DSDT structure has a Device IGPU and Device GFX0.

My Device GFX0 contains the same as your Device IGPU, do you have your renamed?.

The Device GFX0 you've added the Device HDAU the rest is the same as mine, but I have it in two Device, Device P0P2 and P0P3, which I assume correspond to the two display outputs on my HP, one must be the analog and other digital HDMI. You have placed your DSM injecting nVidia VGA Device.

What is your opinion, the structure of my DSDT, if I change the same as yours, I can have a problem?

Thanks a lot

if you or anyone member can help me, I appreciate it.

dsdt_hdmi.tiff

For everyone that has a ATI 5000 mobility chip, I got my ATI 5650m QE/CI full resolution working on external monitor, haven't figured how to display to lappy screen, something i have to force change display type, boot loader not letting me change FB or display type, sticks to TDSA think thats how you spell it. The FB loads as Megalodon as being compatible.

The new FB kext no longer has all the diff name FB's, they have change it to auto select a FB instead of going through a list trial and error one by one, so i'm happy now atleast.

Kext's are from Dev build 10.7.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=249357

For everyone that has a ATI 5000 mobility chip, I got my ATI 5650m QE/CI full resolution working on external monitor, haven't figured how to display to lappy screen, something i have to force change display type, boot loader not letting me change FB or display type, sticks to TDSA think thats how you spell it. The FB loads as Megalodon as being compatible.

The new FB kext no longer has all the diff name FB's, they have change it to auto select a FB instead of going through a list trial and error one by one, so i'm happy now atleast.

Kext's are from Dev build 10.7.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=249357

Did you try DSDT injection to get the internal display to work? If you got the external working, it should be rather simple to get the internal one now.

Did you try DSDT injection to get the internal display to work? If you got the external working, it should be rather simple to get the internal one now.

Haven't mucked around too much yet, will do today though :) but if anyone knows a video DSDT fix then i'm willing to listen in on and see if it works, I haven't done DSDT video trick since Geforce 9800GT days :P

Ok. :) Just to let you know guys that I've fixed the black screen issue on wake I was having when sleep mode 3 is used. Apparently, although I didn't have shutdown (a.k.a _PTS) and cmos reset problem, I did apply those fixes and now black screen issue is gone.

I believe PTS hack has fixed the issue for me. This explains why KiD KuN reported that sleep mode 3 was working for him.

Now, only problem I have on my HDX is no audio after sleep issue.

Once I have solved that I will have a beautiful hackintosh.

I looked at your DSDT and you appear to have the proper notification to the HDEF device in the wake/GPE method, however I don't see a _PRW (Power Resources to Wake) in your HDEF device. Try adding this method to the HDEF device:

// Power Resources for Wake - returns a list of dependent power resources for waking

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
{
   If (WKMD) // Wake on Music-Digital Input?
   {
       Return (Package (0x02)
       {
           0x0D,   // _GPE._L0D
           0x04    // Can wake from S4
       })
   }
   Else
   {
       Return (Package (0x02)
       {
           0x0D,   // _GPE._L0D
           Zero    // Can wake from S0
       })
   }
}                

I looked at your DSDT and you appear to have the proper notification to the HDEF device in the wake/GPE method, however I don't see a _PRW (Power Resources to Wake) in your HDEF device. Try adding this method to the HDEF device:

Thank you for that. I added that code but same result.

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   If (WKMD)
                   {
                       Return (Package (0x02)
                       {
                           0x0D, 
                           0x04
                       })
                   }
                   Else
                   {
                       Return (Package (0x02)
                       {
                           0x0D, 
                           Zero
                       })
                   }
               }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x0E)
                       {
                           "built-in", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x01
                           }, 

"subsystem-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x1B, 0x36, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"subsystem-vendor-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x3C, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0xB2, 0x76, 0x1D, 0x11
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x78, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x10)
                           {
                               "IDT 92HD71B7"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (Zero) {}
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }

And finally I have the following under Scope (_GPE).

Method (_L0D, 0, NotSerialized)
	{
		Notify (\_SB.PCI0.HDEF, 0x02)
		Notify (\_SB.PWRB, 0x02)
	}

I don't know how related but I have noticed this. Sometimes, when I look at the ioreg, I notice that pin configuration of HDEF device takes the following values.

10 01 56 18 21 01 56 58 22 01 56 58 23 01 56 58 24 01 56 58

As a result, I have the following appear in System info.

Intel High Definition Audio:

Audio ID:	888

HDMI / DisplayPort Output:

Connection:	Display

In normal times, pin configuration is the following.

10 10 21 01 20 10 a1 01 f0 00 f0 40 30 10 17 90 40 10 a1 20 50 00 f0 40 60 00 f0 40 70 00 a6 90 80 00 f0 40 a0 10 44 21 90 00 f1 40 b0 00 f1 40 c0 00 f0 40

and the result:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Audio ID:	888

Headphone:

Connection:	1/8-Inch Jack

External Microphone / iPhone Headset:

Speaker:

Connection:	Internal

External Microphone / iPhone Headset:

Internal Microphone:

Connection:	Internal

S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Output:

Connection:	RCA

But it doesn't make any difference. In both case, I have no audio after sleep. Audio is working after hibernate but not after sleep mode. If you would like to take a look at the audio files here it is. Also this is the system dumps including sound codec from linux.

The problem is that I haven't come across any people using AppleHDA and still have audio issue after sleep. So I don't know where to start; if the problem is DSDT code or LegacyHDA.kext.

Thank you again.

Edit: if I use an usb device, audio is working then.

Edit: if I use an usb device, audio is working then.

Ah! That is a clue! Perhaps you need to Notify the parent device of the HDEF as well. I'd have to look again, but is this USB bus under the same root device as the audio device?

Ah! That is a clue! Perhaps you need to Notify the parent device of the HDEF as well. I'd have to look again, but is this USB bus under the same root device as the audio device?

They are under the Device PCI0. Here is the ioreg dumps w/o usb audio device being plugged in. Please let me know if you need anything else.

BTW, I noticed that I'd written "when I use an usb device". I didn't mean a normal usb device but a normal headset with usb input. (Microsoft LifeChat® LX-3000).

Again, thanks for your time.

Really appreciated.

Hey everyone,

I've been real busy lately so sorry I haven't been able to be around here much. It's looking like I will be able to release v2.00 in the first week of March! : )

The good news and the bad news is, that we will have the release soon, but what I've decided to do is separate DSDTs from the release (other than just a few). Creating DSDTs is an involved process, and I just don't have time to create one for everyone. So once we have the release, we can work together to create DSDTs for each machine. Because we will no longer be restricted by CDs, we will easily be able to add DSDTs to our Installation Media devices. : )

So more news to come soon, along with the release!

Hey everyone,

I've been real busy lately so sorry I haven't been able to be around here much. It's looking like I will be able to release v2.00 in the first week of March! : )

The good news and the bad news is, that we will have the release soon, but what I've decided to do is separate DSDTs from the release (other than just a few). Creating DSDTs is an involved process, and I just don't have time to create one for everyone. So once we have the release, we can work together to create DSDTs for each machine. Because we will no longer be restricted by CDs, we will easily be able to add DSDTs to our Installation Media devices. : )

So more news to come soon, along with the release!

Hi Mammoth,

have you problems , when battery is zero, going from sleep to hibernate and resuming it from hibernate, that dvdrom disappears (i mean if i put any cd/dvd inside it doesn't work until reboot) and usb not working after resume from hibernate too (same behaviour, usb not working until a do a reboot)?

If you don't have such problem, how to solve it?

Please note that hibernate itself works, as sleep itself work. The only problem occur when going from sleep to hibernate, and , perhaps sometimes , from battery to ac-power and vice-versa.

May you please try if it works for you or not?

Thanks!

Mal