Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware

462 posts in this topic

Question: Using only the unlocker does Guest Fit work after installing VMware Tools from Fusion or does it also require the vga driver and patch from Zenith?

Guest Fit works fine once you have installed VMware Tools via the latest darwin iso from Fusion 3.1.1. If you then go on to install Zenith432's updated SVGA driver it will stop Guest Fit from working, you will then need Zenith's latest guestd patch to re-enable Guest fit.

Hi, yesterday I decided to give this a try and it has worked great.

I have an HP laptop (core I5 processor 4GB RAM). Installed VM workstation 7.1.2, run the unlocker, installed OSX 10.6.1, upgraded to 10.6.4 and it all seemed well.

Today I noticed that it ends up locking up after a while.

I've turned off the screensaver, just in case it uses the GPU, but no changes.

Some additional tests:

--> test1: reboot VM, start timer, no more actions --> stopped at 11m

--> test2: reboot VM, start timer, no more actions --> stopped at 19m11s

Does anyone have an idea of what may be going on?

Any suggestions on how to try and identify the reason?

Thanks!

Hi, yesterday I decided to give this a try and it has worked great.

I have an HP laptop (core I5 processor 4GB RAM). Installed VM workstation 7.1.2, run the unlocker, installed OSX 10.6.1, upgraded to 10.6.4 and it all seemed well.

Today I noticed that it ends up locking up after a while.

I've turned off the screensaver, just in case it uses the GPU, but no changes.

Some additional tests:

--> test1: reboot VM, start timer, no more actions --> stopped at 11m

--> test2: reboot VM, start timer, no more actions --> stopped at 19m11s

Does anyone have an idea of what may be going on?

Any suggestions on how to try and identify the reason?

Thanks!

This is the Energy Saver settings, so go to System Preferences > Energy Saver

and set the following:

Computer sleep: Never

Display sleep: Never

Untick "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible"

Untick "Allow power button to put the computer to sleep"

This should solve your problem.

This is the Energy Saver settings, so go to System Preferences > Energy Saver

and set the following:

Computer sleep: Never

Display sleep: Never

Untick "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible"

Untick "Allow power button to put the computer to sleep"

This should solve your problem.

It seems to have worked. Great!

One additional question: I did a clone of the image last night and tried running it on my desktop (Core2Quad; VM7.0;), but it said something like "the guest operating system isn't MAC OSX Server".

I ran the unlocker on it, but didn't work. It was late so I did no further tries. Do I need to re-install VM workstation then run the unlocker for this clone to work?

Thanks.

It seems to have worked. Great!

One additional question: I did a clone of the image last night and tried running it on my desktop (Core2Quad; VM7.0;), but it said something like "the guest operating system isn't MAC OSX Server".

I ran the unlocker on it, but didn't work. It was late so I did no further tries. Do I need to re-install VM workstation then run the unlocker for this clone to work?

Thanks.

OK, uninstall VM Workstation 7.0.0 and install 7.1.2 or just install 7.1.2 it will uninstall 7.0.0, then install the unlocker, finally just copy your complete OS X VMDK directory from your laptop, and then from a running VM Workstation on your desktop use file open and select your newly copied vmx file, when asked say you have copied the files, and hopefully all should work. But make sure on your desktop VT-x is enabled in BIOS, otherwise it will not work, also I am assuming it is your 10.6.4 updated OS X environment you have copied, 10.6.3 can have issues with some C2Q environments.

I have copied OS X environments backwards and forwards many times between my HP laptop Core 7i and my Desktop environment HP Z600 with twin Xeon E5520 Processors without issue, based on the advice above, guidance not bragging, Lol, MSoK!

Love your work! this is so awesome.

I decided to write a quick blog post about using this or tonymac to setup a machine for doing iPhone Development.

I cant start my own thread but if someone could move this to a new thread for me that would be awesome! :)

As of this morning 10.6.5 update works perfectly on VMware OSX Guests.

For anyone who wants to know how to get OSX working in VMWare Workstation on Windows 7 for iPhone Development I have made a blog post about it on our site.

How to use VMware for iPhone Development

http://www.kintek.com.au/web-design-blog/d...eopard-on-a-pc/

OK, uninstall VM Workstation 7.0.0 and install 7.1.2 or just install 7.1.2 it will uninstall 7.0.0, then install the unlocker, finally just copy your complete OS X VMDK directory from your laptop, and then from a running VM Workstation on your desktop use file open and select your newly copied vmx file, when asked say you have copied the files, and hopefully all should work. But make sure on your desktop VT-x is enabled in BIOS, otherwise it will not work, also I am assuming it is your 10.6.4 updated OS X environment you have copied, 10.6.3 can have issues with some C2Q environments.

I have copied OS X environments backwards and forwards many times between my HP laptop Core 7i and my Desktop environment HP Z600 with twin Xeon E5520 Processors without issue, based on the advice above, guidance not bragging, Lol, MSoK!

Yet again, thanks for the support. Already swapping VMs between PCs!

Something that I remembered last night: is there a simple way to use these VMs with VMware Player (instead of workstation) if necessary?

Yet again, thanks for the support. Already swapping VMs between PCs!

Something that I remembered last night: is there a simple way to use these VMs with VMware Player (instead of workstation) if necessary?

Should work equally well using Player 3.1.2 as well as Workstation 7.1.2, but you will need to use Donk's "windows.cmd" install script with Albert's "Unlocker" rather than Albert's "windows.bat" to install the "Unlocker" in to Player.

Link to Donk's "windows.cmd" script for Albert's "Unlocker" below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1529856

Guest Fit works fine once you have installed VMware Tools via the latest darwin iso from Fusion 3.1.1. If you then go on to install Zenith432's updated SVGA driver it will stop Guest Fit from working, you will then need Zenith's latest guestd patch to re-enable Guest fit.

Thank you Mac Son of Knife for the info.

I am using an old vmware image and its had some problems with guest fit working sometimes.

I am going for a clean install to 10.6.0 in Workstation 7.1.2, snapshot, then update to 10.6.5, and then install Vmware Tools from the darwin.iso from Fusion 3.1.1.

Thank you Mac Son of Knife for the info.

I am using an old vmware image and its had some problems with guest fit working sometimes.

I am going for a clean install to 10.6.0 in Workstation 7.1.2, snapshot, then update to 10.6.5, and then install Vmware Tools from the darwin.iso from Fusion 3.1.1.

Sounds like a good plan, just downloading 10.6.5 update as I post this, so cannot yet comment! But do not expect any issues, will give an update later once I have installed 10.6.5, MSoK!

Sounds like a good plan, just downloading 10.6.5 update as I post this, so cannot yet comment! But do not expect any issues, will give an update later once I have installed 10.6.5, MSoK!

10.6.5 and seed of 10.6.6 work with no problems.

Just stumbled across this. Have been using Donk's darwin.iso method under ESXi for some time now. This sounds like a better method as it doesn't involve the boot-time kernel patching.

Albert - is there any news on getting this to work with ESXi? I'd really like to see that.

Good work on this.

Just stumbled across this. Have been using Donk's darwin.iso method under ESXi for some time now. This sounds like a better method as it doesn't involve the boot-time kernel patching.

Albert - is there any news on getting this to work with ESXi? I'd really like to see that.

Good work on this.

I tried to fix ESXi in the same way, but it is much more difficult and haven't succeeded yet.

Hi

is there a way to get the unlocker working for

VMware ServerVersion 2.0.2Build 203138 ???

I don't have vmware workstation 7.

If i find workstation 7 anywhere, which version should I get?

Is 7.1.2 ok?

Thx

Forget Server 2.0.2 it is very old and will probably not be updated, instead use the free VMware Player 3.1.2 which has all the functionality of Workstation 7.1.2 you will require to install OS X. Albert's "Unlocker" will work fine with Player, but will require Albert's original "windows.bat" install script replacing with Donk's updated version "windows.cmd".

Link to VMware Player:

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop...ware_player/3_0

Link to Donk's updated script for Albert's Unlocker:

Forget Server 2.0.2 it is very old and will probably not be updated, instead use the free VMware Player 3.1.2 which has all the functionality of Workstation 7.1.2 you will require to install OS X. Albert's "Unlocker" will work fine with Player, but will require Albert's original "windows.bat" install script replacing with Donk's updated version "windows.cmd".

Link to VMware Player:

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop...ware_player/3_0

Link to Donk's updated script for Albert's Unlocker:

Thx for the reply MSoK.

I got VM Workstation installed and used the "unlocker".

OSx 10.6.3 installed just fine,

but I have 2 more questions.

1) How should I install VMware tools? With Donk's darwin.iso file?

Or is there now a better way since the unlocker?

2) Does anybody know a way to get VMware player portable?

I would like to get the VM running from my USBstick.

I know the installation of the player is tight in the system (network)..

Thx for your help and the great unlocker tool!!!

Thx for the reply MSoK.

I got VM Workstation installed and used the "unlocker".

OSx 10.6.3 installed just fine,

but I have 2 more questions.

1) How should I install VMware tools? With Donk's darwin.iso file?

Or is there now a better way since the unlocker?

2) Does anybody know a way to get VMware player portable?

I would like to get the VM running from my USBstick.

I know the installation of the player is tight in the system (network)..

Thx for your help and the great unlocker tool!!!

Have a look at the following post from this topic, the last part should answer your question one:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1576135

In terms of question two not sure what you are hoping to achieve, you can put your OS X guest OS on a USB stick, but the VMware Player or Workstation required to run it needs to be installed in to the Host OS, please clarify if I have mis-understood your question.

Donk,

Thanks for the update, just to confirm I got 10.6.5 on this morning and all is running fine.

I am having troubles with this unfortunately. I have 7.1.2 on Vista (latest updates), I ran the original windows.bat to patch the vmware binaries, then ran and installed OS X 10.6. That process went flawlessly.

If I don't do anything further, then all is fine. However, if I install either the 10.6.5 update or the VMware tools (from darwin.iso I have from my VMware Fusion install on my iMac) then though everything appears to work for a while, it (the guest OS X) will hang. The behavior is that when I mouse into the window the mouse cursor disappears and there is no way to get the guest to respond. I have to use the VMware option to shutdown the guest. This seems to happen after 5 - 10 minutes.

I have a snapshot of my base 10.6 install, so I can keep going back to that. It seems solid, I don't get the hang there. To be clear I am getting the hang by installing either 10.6.5 update or VMware tools. Either on its own on top of the base 10.6 install leads to this hang.

I have set up my guest with 2 processors, each with 1 core. My host machine has a single quad core processor (Xeon 5450).

Might that be a problem? Has anyone else seen this behavior? When it hangs the vmx process has two threads that seem stuck in DeviceIoControl (i.e. both threads are consuming CPU, they are not idle, but ProcessExplorer tells me they are in DeviceIoControl all of the time).

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks.

I am having troubles with this unfortunately. I have 7.1.2 on Vista (latest updates), I ran the original windows.bat to patch the vmware binaries, then ran and installed OS X 10.6. That process went flawlessly.

If I don't do anything further, then all is fine. However, if I install either the 10.6.5 update or the VMware tools (from darwin.iso I have from my VMware Fusion install on my iMac) then though everything appears to work for a while, it (the guest OS X) will hang. The behavior is that when I mouse into the window the mouse cursor disappears and there is no way to get the guest to respond. I have to use the VMware option to shutdown the guest. This seems to happen after 5 - 10 minutes.

I have a snapshot of my base 10.6 install, so I can keep going back to that. It seems solid, I don't get the hang there. To be clear I am getting the hang by installing either 10.6.5 update or VMware tools. Either on its own on top of the base 10.6 install leads to this hang.

I have set up my guest with 2 processors, each with 1 core. My host machine has a single quad core processor (Xeon 5450).

Might that be a problem? Has anyone else seen this behavior? When it hangs the vmx process has two threads that seem stuck in DeviceIoControl (i.e. both threads are consuming CPU, they are not idle, but ProcessExplorer tells me they are in DeviceIoControl all of the time).

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks.

Make sure you disable the energy saving settings in System Preferences inside the VM. Also install the Caffeine application. The issue is that CPU idling isnit fully supported especially when using SpeedStep

Make sure you disable the energy saving settings in System Preferences inside the VM. Also install the Caffeine application. The issue is that CPU idling isnit fully supported especially when using SpeedStep

Thanks! That was it. I had never looked at those energy saver settings, so I wasn't really aware of them. Anyway, turning them off did the trick. I am now running again with two cores and the guest doesn't hang.