Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware

462 posts in this topic

So, I guess the only way to get a boot in safe mode is to go back to a darwin install. It's a shame cause albert's unlocker is so great.

Why not try booting to the installation DVD then open a terminal from the menu. Use the commands MSoK wrote and then reboot to virtual hard drive.

Why not try booting to the installation DVD then open a terminal from the menu. Use the commands MSoK wrote and then reboot to virtual hard drive.

Thank you Donk!, Will try, I had thought of that, and I'll do it. I'll report back. P.S. Thank you for your work over the years!, it's been impossible without your work! Figuring out how to boot installation dvd isn't coming easy, I don't mind searching, just can't figure it out yet. I can't Power On vm to bios to change boot to cd/dvd. I can in xp vm. Does it have anything to do with VMware tools? I can't get any further. Seems more reason to return to your darwin method, just to get a prompt.

Thank you Donk!, Will try, I had thought of that, and I'll do it. I'll report back. P.S. Thank you for your work over the years!, it's been impossible without your work! Figuring out how to boot installation dvd isn't coming easy, I don't mind searching, just can't figure it out yet. I can't Power On vm to bios to change boot to cd/dvd. I can in xp vm. Does it have anything to do with VMware tools? I can't get any further. Seems more reason to return to your darwin method, just to get a prompt.

I'll have to check it out as never tried except when installing. The problem is the EFI BIOS supplied by VMware is really only just enough to run Mac OS X. However, it will be tomorrow before I can check due to family commitments this evening.

I'll have to check it out as never tried except when installing. The problem is the EFI BIOS supplied by VMware is really only just enough to run Mac OS X. However, it will be tomorrow before I can check due to family commitments this evening.

Thank you, what happened was I had a host hardware change ( that I wasn't aware of) that affected my vm. My vm was suspended, when the vm resumed osx detected a hardware change, and when I shutdown and restarted I couldn't boot because of immediate panic. So I've been trying to find a way to a prompt to try and safe boot, or verbose to try and examine, but I cannot. So any help is appreciated, johnm

Thank you, what happened was I had a host hardware change ( that I wasn't aware of) that affected my vm. My vm was suspended, when the vm resumed osx detected a hardware change, and when I shutdown and restarted I couldn't boot because of immediate panic. So I've been trying to find a way to a prompt to try and safe boot, or verbose to try and examine, but I cannot. So any help is appreciated, johnm

Can you list the contents of the guest directory please? Maybe a file from the suspended session causing a problem. Also could you attach as files or upload a zip of the following files:

vmware.log

.vmx

.vmsd

.vmxf

Can you list the contents of the guest directory please? Maybe a file from the suspended session causing a problem. Also could you attach as files or upload a zip of the following files:

vmware.log

.vmx

.vmsd

.vmxf

Zip here:but don't know what youmean by"Can you list the contents of the guest directory please?". Do you want my devices listed? Also which suspended session file. My vdmk is 36gigs

vmware_2.zip

Zip here:but don't know what youmean by"Can you list the contents of the guest directory please?". Do you want my devices listed? Also which suspended session file. My vdmk is 36gigs

OK will check them out tomorrow. Saturday evening here in UK and am due out in 30 minutes. However a quick glance leads me to ask a few other questions.

1. What was the CPU in the previous machine that you copied the VM from? I can see the current one is 4 core Q series CPU.

2. Are you trying to run from a real hard drive partition? If so how is it attached internal IDE, SCSI etc. or external USB?

3. What is the OS you are running VMware Workstation on?

4. Is this installation from a retail Snow Leopard DVD? No distros or hacks as they always is dodgy in VMware.

5. What is the level of Mac OS X in the VM; e.g. 10.6.6?

As for the directory listing can you open a command prompt and run the dir command in the guest folder please? The just copy and paste to a text document. I just want to see what files are in there not actually have copies of the files.

Hope you are OK with the questions as need this to help diagnose the problem.

Donk

Thank you Donk,

Cpus in vm machine=2

I did enable, to connect with a physical hard drive, it wouldn't connect, but it was enabled. I believe it was ide in vm.

I'm using win7x64.

It's retail 10.6.0

It's updated to 10.6.6, I think.

Really Donk, I can start over, it's just that I thought maybe someone, up to this point, had a problem and needed to start in safe mode. Since I'm now aware, the darwin install may be my way forward, as I'm always messing around. I'm appreciative of your efforts. Let me know what you think, thank you, johnm

Thank you Donk,

Cpus in vm machine=2

I did enable, to connect with a physical hard drive, it wouldn't connect, but it was enabled. I believe it was ide in vm.

I'm using win7x64.

It's retail 10.6.0

It's updated to 10.6.6, I think.

Really Donk, I can start over, it's just that I thought maybe someone, up to this point, had a problem and needed to start in safe mode. Since I'm now aware, the darwin install may be my way forward, as I'm always messing around. I'm appreciative of your efforts. Let me know what you think, thank you, johnm

I also tried cpu=1

Donk,

I decided to just keep taking snapshots, to control my problems. I appreciate all your efforts, Take care, johnm

Sorry didn't get back but laptop hard drive died with the details on it.

Yep back up and running, just hard drive head crash. Backups were fine just needed to drive to arrive.

Good news, moral of the story for everyone else, make sure you have a current backup, I had better make sure my backup is up to date, LoL MSoK.

Donk,

I decided to just keep taking snapshots, to control my problems. I appreciate all your efforts, Take care, johnm

Well for the sake of completeness I have the answer for you with EFI BIOS. Found an old document (on paper) from Fusion beta test.

1. When the VMware logo appears press any key to take you to EFI menu

2. Select EFI Boot Manager and then EFI shell

3. Use the following command from the shell:

fs0:\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi -v

I'll post some screenshots tomorrow.

Wow Donk!, That's it!,

I just subbed -x for safe boot and got both! This is very helpful, as saving too many snapshots uses too much disk space.

I know you've helped with the pioneering of using osx on vmware. I was wondering, with your work on usb lag, could you give me an idea why a usb midi input through host is so laggy? It makes garageband unuseable. I may have to go to using win7 in fusion through hackintosh. Anyway, thanks for your efforts and time. I know being able to boot -v -x will help many! johnm

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Albert,

Do you know how to get your "Unlocker" working on Ubuntu Linux 10.10?

Every time I run it I get an error message say Segmentation Fault.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thank you for your time.

All the best

NSCXP2005

Hi Albert,

Do you know how to get your "Unlocker" working on Ubuntu Linux 10.10?

Every time I run it I get an error message say Segmentation Fault.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thank you for your time.

All the best

NSCXP2005

Not something I have tried, I use Ubuntu 10.10 for other things, so will roll a copy up on my machine, and will report back.

Cheers,

MSoK.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick heads up, 10.6.7 was released today, the combo update appears to work fine with OS X under VMware Workstation 7.1.3 and Player 3.1.3 with either Donk's darwin.iso method or Albert's unlocker.

• 2 weeks later...
Just a quick heads up, 10.6.7 was released today, the combo update appears to work fine with OS X under VMware Workstation 7.1.3 and Player 3.1.3 with either Donk's darwin.iso method or Albert's unlocker.

Patches Workstation 7.1.4 on Windows 7 x64 OK.

i read all the topic but can't find a answer or i'm blind. I do have workstation 7.1.4 i succefully applie the unlocker i can setup my VM but can't get it to boot any iso or .dmg it juste say:

boot failed. EFI SCSI device

boot failed. EFI SCSI device 1

i try IDE and samething

did i do something wrong ?? i succefully install OSX 10.6 under vbox with empireEFI.iso for the first 2 boot and keep working great but i can't make it run under vmware workstation 7.1.4 and don't know why

PS: i convert my .dmg to .iso with poweriso4.4 and it boot now thanks !

Is this the only solution to run EFI64-capable guests on Win7 with the latest VMware?

It will run Mac OS X ok in 64-bit mode. Won't run anything else though such as Windows 7 guest using EFI BIOS.