Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware

462 posts in this topic

Thanks for this fantastic contribution. This is the first one that works, after trying to install dozens of others. I guess my system is so unusual that your's is the only one that works. I have a problem though with my screen resolution. It is set to 1280x768 and can not be changed. Any idea's how to solve this? Many thanks in advance for anyone who has a solution.

hardware: Asus Z8NR-D12 motherboard with 2x E5520 Xeon processors, 20Gb memory and Nvidea video. No connection to the www until now. Could an installation of VMware tools solve my problem?

software: VMware workstation 7.1.0 and Snow Leopard 10.6.3

Thanks for this fantastic contribution. This is the first one that works, after trying to install dozens of others. I guess my system is so unusual that your's is the only one that works. I have a problem though with my screen resolution. It is set to 1280x768 and can not be changed. Any idea's how to solve this? Many thanks in advance for anyone who has a solution.

hardware: Asus Z8NR-D12 motherboard with 2x E5520 Xeon processors, 20Gb memory and Nvidea video. No connection to the www until now. Could an installation of VMware tools solve my problem?

software: VMware workstation 7.1.0 and Snow Leopard 10.6.3

I have a Dual Processor Xeon E5520 HP Z600 Workstation and SL runs really well, using Albert's unlocker. Firstly update to 10.6.4, then use one of Donk's darwin iso files, either the latest 310 or the earlier 310b6, link below, to install the VMware tools this will solve the resolution issue as well as allow you to use shared folders. Mount the darwin.iso and then you will get the option to install the tools, you cannot install the tools natively from VMware Workstation or Player, you need to mount the darwin.iso.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1527301

Hope this helps, MSoK.

I have a Dual Processor Xeon E5520 HP Z600 Workstation and SL runs really well, using Albert's unlocker. Firstly update to 10.6.4, then use one of Donk's darwin iso files, either the latest 310 or the earlier 310b6, link below, to install the VMware tools this will solve the resolution issue as well as allow you to use shared folders. Mount the darwin.iso and then you will get the option to install the tools, you cannot install the tools natively from VMware Workstation or Player, you need to mount the darwin.iso.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1527301

Hope this helps, MSoK.

Thanks for the quick reply,

I'll try your solution tomorrow. Hope this helps.

Good day.

I wrote a little program which allows to create a virtual machine and run any flavor of Mac OS X

• Mac OS X
  • Mac OS X Server

inside the virtual machine, using any VMware product

• VMware Workstation for Windows
  • VMware Workstation for Linux
  • VMware Fusion for Mac OS X

on any Intel-based physical machine

• PC
  • Mac

I hope you will enjoy it. For details, please read the file README.txt. Give me your feedback about it in this forum.

Your excellent program is hard coded to drive c:. My VMware install wound up on Drive F: (don't ask). Moving it was not easy.

Suggest adding a switch variable to specify which drive it goes to, to work its magic.

Your excellent program is hard coded to drive c:. My VMware install wound up on Drive F: (don't ask). Moving it was not easy.

Suggest adding a switch variable to specify which drive it goes to, to work its magic.

Try Donk's updated script, link below, it should solve the issue.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1517645

You need VMware to write accelerated video drivers for Mac OS X, and they currently have not done so. Running Mac OS X in a VM is OK, but not a good idea if you want to do video, picture or audio work.

Dear all,

My greatest respect to all of you for your noble efforts!

My university (I'm a student in NL) chooses and offers with a good discount a notebook of the year every August/September. It's always a PC, however, Macs have reached big mindshare here and me and my friends want iLife and Keynote a lot.

I'd like you experts to weigh in on an important decision I'll have to make in this back-to-school time: Donk, Albert and the other pros, with my focus on working with iLife/iWork and CS, what's your advice: using this solution with a HP Elitebook 8540p (i5 540M, NVS 5100) or biting the bullet and paying for a MBP?

Many thanks for your two cents. It's very appreciated.

I have just noticed an update is available for VMware Workstation from 7.1.0 to 7.1.1, I am sure this will break the unlocker, but not sure if it will re-install and work under 7.1.1. I will have a look, but be warned until we get a response from Albert and / or Donk DO NOT Update to 7.1.1, MSoK!

I have just noticed an update is available for VMware Workstation from 7.1.0 to 7.1.1, I am sure this will break the unlocker, but not sure if it will re-install and work under 7.1.1. I will have a look, but be warned until we get a response from Albert and / or Donk DO NOT Update to 7.1.1, MSoK!

The unlocker still works fine for Workstation 7.1.1 on Windows. I haven't tried yet on Linux, or with Player or Fusion.

One update. I did upload a script to try and sort out some of the issues around paths and the USB Arbitration service on Windows. As I said at the time, was written from memory and not tested, and consequently doesn't work. Attached is a new Windows batch file to fix the issues. Download to same folder as the unlocker windwos-32.exe, and rename to windows.cmd.

Dear all,

My greatest respect to all of you for your noble efforts!

My university (I'm a student in NL) chooses and offers with a good discount a notebook of the year every August/September. It's always a PC, however, Macs have reached big mindshare here and me and my friends want iLife and Keynote a lot.

I'd like you experts to weigh in on an important decision I'll have to make in this back-to-school time: Donk, Albert and the other pros, with my focus on working with iLife/iWork and CS, what's your advice: using this solution with a HP Elitebook 8540p (i5 540M, NVS 5100) or biting the bullet and paying for a MBP?

Many thanks for your two cents. It's very appreciated.

Mac all the time! You won't get anything that uses accelerated graphics working inside VMware, and sound is also variable in quality. You can then use Fusion and/or Bootcamp to run Windows

windows.txt

The unlocker still works fine for Workstation 7.1.1 on Windows. I haven't tried yet on Linux, or with Player or Fusion.

One update. I did upload a script to try and sort out some of the issues around paths and the USB Arbitration service on Windows. As I said at the time, was written from memory and not tested, and consequently doesn't work. Attached is a new Windows batch file to fix the issues. Download to same folder as the unlocker windows-32.exe, and rename to windows.cmd.

Donk, sorry for the alarm, just did not have time to check whether the Unlocker would be OK with 7.1.1, well not until tonight. So once again thanks for your speedy input and solution. I assume the script is the same one you posted before?

Also does your script work with a Player only configuration, or could it be easily modified to support Player?

Donk, sorry for the alarm, just did not have time to check whether the Unlocker would be OK with 7.1.1, well not until tonight. So once again thanks for your speedy input and solution. I assume the script is the same one you posted before?

Also does your script work with a Player only configuration, or could it be easily modified to support Player?

The previous one had bugs in it. This one should work with Player and Workstation.

Hi there...

I have a question... I just did the procedure show on this topic (the first one)... And my pc is a Core 2 Duo 2,00 Ghz... I don't think it can handle the VM insctructions..

Is there another way to run a mac os x virtual machine on my pc... ?? Can I run it without these instructions ??

Thanks

Hi there...

I have a question... I just did the procedure show on this topic (the first one)... And my pc is a Core 2 Duo 2,00 Ghz... I don't think it can handle the VM insctructions..

Is there another way to run a mac os x virtual machine on my pc... ?? Can I run it without these instructions ??

Thanks

If you confirm the specific processor, i.e. E6600, then we can confirm yes or no for VT-x, or run the SecurAble program, link below:

http://www.grc.com/securable.htm

This will confirm your processors capabilities.

If your processor does not suppport VT-x then the solution in this topic will not work for you, and you need to have a look at Zenith432's topic SnowKitty running on VMware Workstation, link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1288448

Good luck, MSoK.

Good day.

I wrote a little program which allows to create a virtual machine and run any flavor of Mac OS X

• Mac OS X
  • Mac OS X Server

inside the virtual machine, using any VMware product

• VMware Workstation for Windows
  • VMware Workstation for Linux
  • VMware Fusion for Mac OS X

on any Intel-based physical machine

• PC
  • Mac

I hope you will enjoy it. For details, please read the file README.txt. Give me your feedback about it in this forum.

Happy to report that this still works fine with the 7.1.1 (build-282343) VMware Workstation update.

Now includes native ESX guest support under VMware workstation!

Happy to report that this still works fine with the 7.1.1 (build-282343) VMware Workstation update.

Now includes native ESX guest support under VMware workstation!

VMware Workstation 7 has always had support for ESX as a guest, only issue is it is 32-bit only and does not support VT-x for ESX guest guests!

VMware Workstation 7 has always had support for ESX as a guest, only issue is it is 32-bit only and does not support VT-x for ESX guest guests!

You could "always get it to work"

It is now an official menu pick when creating a guest, that is what I mean by "official" support.

From the release notes:

New Support for Guest Operating System

VMware vSphere 4.1 is now supported as a guest operating system. VMware Certified Professionals (VCPs) and virtualization experts can use VMware vSphere 4.1 to install the latest server virtualization software and experiment with server setup, conduct training, show demos, and test production configurations. Running ESX as a guest eliminates the need to have spare hardware available to run ESX natively and enables ESX to run on systems that are not listed on the ESX hardware compatibility list (HCL). For more information on the supported processors and host operating systems, see Considerations for Running an ESX Guest.

This feature is intended for educational and demonstration purposes only and should not be used in production environments. To use this feature, you must download VMware vSphere 4.1 from the VMware Web site and follow the installation documentation provided with VMware vSphere to install ESX.

For more information on VMware vSphere, see http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/ .

Hello everyone. I am new to mac os in vmware.

Does this unlocker work in an AMD platform?

I applied this unlocker and failed to install the Mac OS 10.6.

VM crashes when the grey screen with an apple in the middle is shown.

The error msg is "A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state. This would have caused a physical machine to restart......................."

Furthermore, existing Mac OS X cannot boot up. This guest was installed WITHOUT unlocker patch, but with EmpireEFIforAMD. Then I followed Donk's suggestion and added four lines to the vmx file:

firmware = "efi"

smc.present = "TRUE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

But it cannot boot up. The error msg is "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point."

I can only boot the guest using darwin.iso, of course, deleted the four added lines in vmx...

It seems this approach cannot work on my platform. I have to stick with Donk's darwin.iso

I can smoothly install Mac OS X in vm using darwin.iso, just cannot enable 64-bit mode

Info about my platform:

AMD Athlon II 620

4G DDR3

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

vmware workstation 7.1.1

Hello everyone. I am new to mac os in vmware.

Does this unlocker work in an AMD platform?

I applied this unlocker and failed to install the Mac OS 10.6.

VM crashes when the grey screen with an apple in the middle is shown.

The error msg is "A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state. This would have caused a physical machine to restart......................."

Furthermore, existing Mac OS X cannot boot up. This guest was installed WITHOUT unlocker patch, but with EmpireEFIforAMD. Then I followed Donk's suggestion and added four lines to the vmx file:

firmware = "efi"

smc.present = "TRUE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

But it cannot boot up. The error msg is "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point."

I can only boot the guest using darwin.iso, of course, deleted the four added lines in vmx...

It seems this approach cannot work on my platform. I have to stick with Donk's darwin.iso

I can smoothly install Mac OS X in vm using darwin.iso, just cannot enable 64-bit mode

Info about my platform:

AMD Athlon II 620

4G DDR3

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

vmware workstation 7.1.1

As you have found the Unlocker does not work with AMD processors, as MAC's are only Intel, Apple have not put any code in OS X to support AMD processors. Donk's darwin iso can be used alongside an AMD processor provided you have patched the kernel, see Zenith432's SnowKitty topic on this forum.

Quick question. Would it be possible to use the unlocker in VMWARE and then migrate the VM to Sun's "VirtualBox"? Very curious because VirtualBox is free and VMWare isn't.

Thanks, much appreciated! :)

Use VMware Player 3.11, it has all the same functionality as Workstation, minus ESX(i) guest support, and is free, but you will need to use Donk's updated script to support Unlocker installation with Player, link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1529856

Sorry I have no experience of VirtualBox, but other topics in this forum maybe able to help, link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1385474

Link below to download VMware Player 3.11:

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop...ware_player/3_0

Hope this helps, MSoK.

Quick question. Would it be possible to use the unlocker in VMWARE and then migrate the VM to Sun's "VirtualBox"? Very curious because VirtualBox is free and VMWare isn't.

Yes, i did so :unsure: Installed SnowLeo on unlocked VMWare, converted vmdk to vdi with CloneVDI and it worked fine on VirtualBox!

Okay guys, new here, so hello first. I've been trying to get the .bat solution working for the past three days but haven't had much by way of success. I keep getting the following message:

"The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point."

Not sure what to do now, tried several solutions already. :P

My system specs: i7 920 running on an Asus P6T with 6 gigs of Corsair goodness.

If you guys need anything else, screenies, more details, I'd be welcome to oblige :)

Regards

P.S. What happened to Albert, I don't see him on the thread any more :D

--W

Well Werentuckl, we seem to be of one mind. I am also trying to install Leopard on my intel 920 which resides on an ASUS P6T SE MB with 6GB of Corsair RAM. :thumbsup_anim:

I'm a MAC newbie too.

I'm running VMWare 7.1.1 build-282343 on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate edition.

I installed it on another physical drive - E:\vmware

This is the torrent file i downloaded was the Mac_OS_X_10.6_Snow_Leopard_%28Final_Retail%29

When running the windows.bat file from the command line, it mentions the following error.

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

-----

Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware, version 7

Unable to change directory to c:\Program Files\VMware Workstation

-----

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied

Any ideas from the experts?

Cheers