Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware

462 posts in this topic

It took me a while to figure this out but if your VM jams after a period of inactivity, remove screen savers and sleep functionality with Energy Saver in System Preferences.

Thanks for the reminder, it is a well documented problem, solved with the Energy Saver settings and / or the use of Caffeine.

Thanks for the reminder, it is a well documented problem, solved with the Energy Saver settings and / or the use of Caffeine.

BTW Caffeine is now in the App Store so very easy to install.

BTW Caffeine is now in the App Store so very easy to install.

Indeed, I got it free on the Mac App Store, this of course means you need to be running 10.6.6, and have an iTunes account.

Indeed, I got it free on the Mac App Store, this of course means you need to be running 10.6.6, and have an iTunes account.

Now that we are on the topic of 10.6.6 - has anyone been able to intsall 10.6.6 in VMWare? I'm running 10.6.4 but after upgrading I lose control of my mouse (both USB mouse and trackpad). I'm not sure which kext to downgrade. The pointer is stuck in the upper left corner. I can navigate with the keyboard though.

Acer3820TG with Intel i5

ATI 5470+Intel HD graphics

4GB Ram

Now that we are on the topic of 10.6.6 - has anyone been able to intsall 10.6.6 in VMWare? I'm running 10.6.4 but after upgrading I lose control of my mouse (both USB mouse and trackpad). I'm not sure which kext to downgrade. The pointer is stuck in the upper left corner. I can navigate with the keyboard though.

Acer3820TG with Intel i5

4GB Ram

Running fine on a Core i7, just applied the combo update, was at 10.6.5, no issues at all, running Workstation 7.1.3 with Albert's Unlocker installed using Donk's updated script, Host OS Windows 7 Enterprise x64. Not sure where your issue is, as Donk and others are all running fine on 10.6.6. Maybe try 10.6.5 first, and also include your vmx file and vmware.log as text attachments so we can have a more detailed look at the problem.

I am sure using a 10.6.4 usb kext or the VoodooPS2 kext may also resolve the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I get an error. The gui indicates a circle with a line through it after the apple icon with the progress circle has shown.

Changing the com.apple.boot.plist in the install dvd iso (hex edited) to verbose boot (since you can't send the key commands to trigger verbose without going into the vmware efi menu) I saw that I was getting a still waiting for root device failure.

Changing the console options configuration to cpus=1 -f also did not work.

I have a core i5 with ati radeon 5270 mobility.

Running VMware workstation v 7.1.3 build 324285 patched with the unlocker tool.

I tried SCSI and IDE hard disks and cd drives and server 10.5, 10.6 32 and 64 bit configurations.

Anyone have any tips?

I get an error. The gui indicates a circle with a line through it after the apple icon with the progress circle has shown.

Changing the com.apple.boot.plist in the install dvd iso (hex edited) to verbose boot (since you can't send the key commands to trigger verbose without going into the vmware efi menu) I saw that I was getting a still waiting for root device failure.

Changing the console options configuration to cpus=1 -f also did not work.

I have a core i5 with ati radeon 5270 mobility.

Running VMware workstation v 7.1.3 build 324285 patched with the unlocker tool.

I tried SCSI and IDE hard disks and cd drives and server 10.5, 10.6 32 and 64 bit configurations.

Anyone have any tips?

What version of the retail OS X 10.6 media are you using? As Albert's "Unlocker" should allow you to install using the "New Virtual Machine Wizard" without issues.

I used 10.6.0 build 10A432 from an iso image and from a disc as well.

The disc version did not show the circle with a line through it, it just hung with the spinning circle forever. I tried a Leopard install disc which appeared to work correctly. In the end, I switched to the bios + darwin.iso trick and was able to install with the physical disc since the iso image was not detected.

Would the EFI based install have worked with a newer install disc? Is there any easy way to upgrade my current install disc to such a version?

What version of the retail OS X 10.6 media are you using? As Albert's "Unlocker" should allow you to install using the "New Virtual Machine Wizard" without issues.

I used 10.6.0 build 10A432 from an iso image and from a disc as well.

The disc version did not show the circle with a line through it, it just hung with the spinning circle forever. I tried a Leopard install disc which appeared to work correctly. In the end, I switched to the bios + darwin.iso trick and was able to install with the physical disc since the iso image was not detected.

Would the EFI based install have worked with a newer install disc? Is there any easy way to upgrade my current install disc to such a version?

OK, I guess the most likely reason is you do not have a retail DVD of OS X 10.6, worth the investment, £26, €28, $29 from Apple. With the retail DVD you should be able to install with Albert's "Unlocker". However as you are running a Core i5 processor and the current retail DVD is at 10.6.3 you will need to add a CPUID mask to your VMX, see the link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1551966

Alternatively if you have an OS X guest running, using Donk's "darwin.iso" method change the following settings in your VMX file:

firmware = "efi"

smc.present = "TRUE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

Do not forget you will need to uninstall Donk's "darwin.iso" using "setup.cmd uninstall" from a command prompt in Windows, do a re-boot and install Albert's "Unlocker", good luck MSoK.

I did use a retail disc, but it was an upgrade disc for snow leopard. Maybe I'll try using a 10.6.3 disc if I come across one.

For the record, I switched my existing install to boot using EFI without the preconfigured donk's darwin.iso image and it works fine.

As you have found the upgrade disk will not work, it needs to be the full retail DVD, which is currently shipping as version 10.6.3. So if you have a core i3, i5 or i7 CPU requires the CPUID mask until you upgrade to 10.6.4 or above.

Thanks for the great post!

I'm a tiny bit confused though regarding VMware Player.

I've downloaded the updated script and ran it but it had errors:

C:\VMware\DonkUnlocker>windows.cmd
VMware Mac OS X Patcher 1.0.0
=============================
Core=VMware Player
InstallPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\
VMXPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\x64
UIPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmwarebase.dll

The VMware Authorization Service service was stopped successfully.

The VMware USB Arbitration Service service was stopped successfully.

Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware, version 7

Directory C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\x64:
File vmware-vmx.exe:
Unlocking Mac OS X guest on non-Mac host ...
Unlocking Mac OS X Client guest (method 0) ...
File vmware-vmx-debug.exe: Missing file.
File vmware-vmx-stats.exe: Missing file.

File C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmwarebase.dll:
Error opening file.
The VMware Authorization Service service is starting.
The VMware Authorization Service service was started successfully.

The VMware USB Arbitration Service service is starting.
The VMware USB Arbitration Service service was started successfully.

You'll notice I had a couple of errors (missing files and error opening file). Is this normal?

Should I be using this script for VMware Player or do I need Workstation?

Also, when I go to create a new virtual machine it doesn't give me the option for Mac OS X.

Thanks for any help!

Acer3820TG with Intel i5

4GB Ram

Managed to get it working with USB kexts.

Google "10.6.6 Kexts and Fixes for Intel DG31PR Collected By SilverDragon" and you shall find the kit.

Download the 10.6.6 combo and install. Install the above kext BEFORE rebooting. You're in business after that.

Also, uninstall flash player and re-install this version for Safari to work properly:

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/HNRGXLY5/

Dumb question - tried running albert's unlocker on my VmWare 7.1.3 build-324285 but all i got are the mac os x server guests in the list, and not the desktop versions. Any ideas?

Choose the relevant Server version, I would recommend the 64-bit version, but 32-bit is OK, it will allow the use of the retail DVD Desktop media for the install, part of the Unlocker process removes the server media check, simple as that! Cheers MSoK.

"Posted on behalf of s1998 from PM sent to me"

Hey (MSoK),

I am following your guide on how to install osx on vmware workstation. I am running windows 7. My problem is that when I install Albert's Unlocker, I don't see Apple Mac OS X in the Guest Operating System window. If you could help me out with this it would be great. Here's the command prompt I get after I install Albert's Unlocker:

j4AEw.png

Also, here's the Guest Operating System window:

IPf4y.png

Thanks!

"Posted on behalf of s1998"

Hey MSoK,

I am following your guide on how to install osx on vmware workstation. I am running windows 7. My problem is that when I install Albert's Unlocker, I don't see Apple Mac OS X in the Guest Operating System window. If you could help me out with this it would be great.

Thanks!

s1998,

Albert's "Unlocker" has not installed correctly, the clue is in the text "Too few match sites." not enough information regarding your Workstation installation to diagnose exactly what the problem is. But some pointers, firstly having tried to install Albert's "Unlocker" I would completely uninstall VMware Workstation, including a re-boot, and removal of the VMware directory, move any guestOS(s) if in the same location, not normally. Install the latest version of Workstation, currently 7.1.3, and is installed to the default location, then shutdown VM Workstation, ensure "hqtray.exe" is not running before installing Albert's "Unlocker". If the install completes without any errors, including "Too few match sites", when you go back in to VM Workstation, the option to install Mac OS X should be in the list of supported guestOS's.

Have a look at my topic, and the reply by sofakng regarding this very issue, alternatively ensure all VMware related services are shutdown before running the "Unlocker".

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1635019

I'm appreciative for all the work done here. I use albert's unlocker, and want to boot my osx vm install in safe mode. I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated

A quick Google, found Apple article reference HT1455 "Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode"

Advanced: If you can't Safe Boot with a keyboard

(for real Mac's a keyboard combination re-boots the Mac in to safe mode, not an option in VMware)

If for some reason you can't use the keyboard method to start in Safe Mode (the keyboard is missing or not working, for example), and you already have remote access to the computer, you can configure the computer to startup in Safe Mode via its command line

1. Access the command line by either opening Terminal remotely, or by logging into the computer from another via SSH.
  2. Execute the following command in Terminal or on the command line:

sudo nvram boot-args="-x"

(If you want to start in Verbose mode as well, use sudo nvram boot-args="-x -v" instead )

1. After using Safe Boot, to return to a normal startup, execute this command in Terminal or the command line:

sudo nvram boot-args=""

I have tested this in my VMware Workstation 7.1.3, with Albert's "Unlocker" and OS X 10.6.6 guestOS, and it works fine, MSoK.

Thank you, Unfortunately what I have is the inability to start my vm. I have a kp. I thought I could maybe fix if I could start in safe mode. I'm used to having a darwin prompt, because of hackintosh, and so I have no access to terminal, or understand remote access. I appreciate your time, and I did attempt to google before my last post. I guess I need to reinstall. Even then, with a new install, are you saying the only way to boot into safe mode is to execute the

sudo nvram boot-args="-x" command in terminal before re-boot? Thanks and sorry for my limited understanding, johnm

Yes, i did so :) Installed SnowLeo on unlocked VMWare, converted vmdk to vdi with CloneVDI and it worked fine on VirtualBox!

Firstly Albert Nietsnie thank you so much for the unlocker, without it, everything would be imbossible.

To Starik69 could you please point out how to create the VM inside VirtualBox?

I've converted vmdk to vdi (perfectly) but during bootstrap mac os x gives errors "rpcout couldn't open channel with rpci protocol" and doesn't start. Maybe I need to remove VMWARE Tools before clone virtual HDD.

Thank you in advance

Best Regards

Tony

Firstly Albert Nietsnie thank you so much for the unlocker, without it, everything would be impossible.

To Starik69 could you please point out how to create the VM inside VirtualBox?

I've converted vmdk to vdi (perfectly) but during bootstrap mac os x gives errors "rpcout couldn't open channel with rpci protocol" and doesn't start. Maybe I need to remove VMWARE Tools before clone virtual HDD.

Thank you in advance

Best Regards

Tony

Tony,

Not a VirtualBox man myself, VMware to the core, but as a first step definately remove the VMware Tools, and also any of Zenith432's excellent VMware specific audio or graphics drivers, before running the conversion.