Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware

462 posts in this topic

Well Werentuckl, we seem to be of one mind. I am also trying to install Leopard on my intel 920 which resides on an ASUS P6T SE MB with 6GB of Corsair RAM. :)

I'm a MAC newbie too.

I'm running VMWare 7.1.1 build-282343 on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate edition.

I installed it on another physical drive - E:\vmware

This is the torrent file i downloaded was the Mac_OS_X_10.6_Snow_Leopard_%28Final_Retail%29

When running the windows.bat file from the command line, it mentions the following error.

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

-----

Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware, version 7

Unable to change directory to c:\Program Files\VMware Workstation

-----

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied

Any ideas from the experts?

Cheers

Wow, almost identical specs! :D

Well, for starters, you need to reinstall your vmware into your C drive and then go through the entire unlocking the vmware process, that should solve your problem. :)

And make sure you run the .bat through cmd with administrator rights, safer that way. :)

Hope that helps :)

P.S. I'm running the same Vmware version.

Regards

--W

Wow, almost identical specs! ;)

Well, for starters, you need to reinstall your vmware into your C drive and then go through the entire unlocking the vmware process, that should solve your problem. :)

And make sure you run the .bat through cmd with administrator rights, safer that way. :)

Hope that helps :)

P.S. I'm running the same Vmware version.

Regards

--W

Sounds lke you got the bat file to work. How did you do this as;

Even though i installed the VMware to my E:\ drive, the resulting directory structure does not have a folder titled WMware workstation.

I looked for the files the windows.bat file was trying to change and found them in the x64 folder instead. (See attachment)

How will re-installing VMware to C:\ create the WMware workstation folder?

:blink:

VMware_install_directory.doc

Sounds lke you got the bat file to work. How did you do this as;

Even though i installed the VMware to my E:\ drive, the resulting directory structure does not have a folder titled WMware workstation.

I looked for the files the windows.bat file was trying to change and found them in the x64 folder instead. (See attachment)

How will re-installing VMware to C:\ create the WMware workstation folder?

Looks like by changing the default install location you have installed to "E:\vmware" directory, looking at the structure your "vmware" directory would normally be your "VMware Workstation" directory in a default install, also by default on a 64-bit Windows OS it would install under "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation". If you do a default install the windows.bat file should work alternatively Donk has created a better script which may well work in your environment, link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1517645

Looks like by changing the default install location you have installed to "E:\vmware" directory, looking at the structure your "vmware" directory would normally be your "VMware Workstation" directory in a default install, also by default on a 64-bit Windows OS it would install under "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation". If you do a default install the windows.bat file should work alternatively Donk has created a better script which may well work in your environment, link below:

Beat me to it! :(

im a newbie here can anyone point me where can i download osx 10.6 installer or maybe a vmdk image.

No because that is a breach of the terms of use for the forums. Apple store is the only place we can say is the place to get it. And the cost is minimal these days.

im a newbie here can anyone point me where can i download osx 10.6 installer or maybe a vmdk image.

As Donk has said, the best place to get OS X 10.6 is buy the DVD from an Apple Store, or Apple on-line, it only costs £25, €30, $35 and it makes life a whole lot easier when using VMware, either via the Unlocker method in this topic or the darwin iso from Donk's topic, link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1186508

Mac and Donk, thanks for your help so far but i'm still having issues. :P

I re-installed vmware to my c:\ drive and then ran the windows.cmd as Administrator.

It worked this time.

I downloaded a MAC OS X image (snowleopard_10a432_userdvd.dmg) and then converted to an ISO using Ultra ISO.

VMware at this point doesn't recognise a boot file when I load this ISO.

I had a look at the files in the ISO and the only reference made is Windows support with Boot Camp and DVDCDSharing folders. (See attachment)

I checked the dmg file again in Ultra ISO and the MAC files are definitely there. Am I doing something wrong when converting to ISO? Is there another step i'm missing?

Cheers

ps I would be happy to buy the MAC OS X Leopard from Apple. It's $39 here in Australia. Problem is, I don't have a dual layer DVD drive to run it.

post-662955-1283822791_thumb.jpg

I've read from a number of people that VMware Workstation 7.1 and higher supports DMG files in addition to ISO. I have VMware 7.1.1 build-282343 on a ThinkPad T510 (Core i7 M 620).

I created a new VM following the recommendations in the topic. If I use an ISO version of the Snow Leopard boot DVD (10a432), it installs perfectly. But, if I point the VM CD drive to the DMG image, it fails to boot. I have attached the screen image from the VMware screen.

Does anyone know why this does not work ? I've love to only keep DMG master images and dump the ISOs. Could be it that this is a compressed DMG file ?

thanks

post-661579-1283824463_thumb.jpg

I've read from a number of people that VMware Workstation 7.1 and higher supports DMG files in addition to ISO. I have VMware 7.1.1 build-282343 on a ThinkPad T510 (Core i7 M 620).

I created a new VM following the recommendations in the topic. If I use an ISO version of the Snow Leopard boot DVD (10a432), it installs perfectly. But, if I point the VM CD drive to the DMG image, it fails to boot. I have attached the screen image from the VMware screen.

Does anyone know why this does not work ? I've love to only keep DMG master images and dump the ISOs. Could be it that this is a compressed DMG file ?

thanks

post-661579-1283824463_thumb.jpg

How did you convert the DMG file to a successful ISO image?

If you read my post above, I'm having trouble.

ps i cant get VMware to recognise the DMG files either. I tried this as a solution to my problem.

ps i cant get VMware to recognise the DMG files either. I tried this as a solution to my problem.

I used PowerISO 4.6. MagicISO does not work nor does dmg2iso.

After some further testing, it appears that VMware does not support compressed DMG files. I used dmg2img 1.6.2 and decompressed my Snow Leopard install DVD dmg file, then renamed the resulting .img file to .dmg. I was then able to install OS X from this image in VMware. I also mounted the file under a running 10.6.4 system and did a Verify Disk (Disk Utility) and the uncompressed image is perfect. Now, I can dump my compressed dmg which only works on OS X and keep the uncompressed version!

dmg2img_1.6.2_win32.zip

After some further testing, it appears that VMware does not support compressed DMG files. I used dmg2img 1.6.2 and decompressed my Snow Leopard install DVD dmg file, then renamed the resulting .img file to .dmg. I was then able to install OS X from this image in VMware. I also mounted the file under a running 10.6.4 system and did a Verify Disk (Disk Utility) and the uncompressed image is perfect. Now, I can dump my compressed dmg which only works on OS X and keep the uncompressed version!

dmg2img_1.6.2_win32.zip

That's is correct. If you have an image say from the Mac Dev Center it will work without conversion. Otherwise the dmg2img program is excellent and gives consistently good results.

I would be happy to buy the MAC OS X Leopard from Apple. It's $39 here in Australia. Problem is, I don't have a dual layer DVD drive to run it.

Any DVD ROM or your BluRay ROM drive should run / play a dual layer DVD, it is only writing to DL that is restricted to DVD RW DL drives. So spend the money, as I am not sure the ISO you are using is suitable, and anyway this and Donk's topic, only support installation from retail DVD, ISO or uncompress DMG. With the Unlocker installed you can select OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.x) from the menu, point it at your retail OS X DVD and all should progress, simple as that, or as we say in the UK "simples" with a russian accent, its a Meerkat thing, TV advert over here, sorry got carried away!

Any DVD ROM or your BluRay ROM drive should run / play a dual layer DVD, it is only writing to DL that is restricted to DVD RW DL drives. So spend the money, as I am not sure the ISO you are using is suitable, and anyway this and Donk's topic, only support installation from retail DVD, ISO or uncompress DMG. With the Unlocker installed you can select OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.x) from the menu, point it at your retail OS X DVD and all should progress, simple as that, or as we say in the UK "simples" with a russian accent, its a Meerkat thing, TV advert over here, sorry got carried away!

Thanks MAC, I got the DVD image to work. It's certainly a different environment to windows. I can see where Windows has 'borrowed' ideas from the MAC OS X.

I have been looking to shrink my OS X guestOS under VMware Workstation 7.1.1 "Unlocked", much as you can do with XP, but under OS X you do not have the VMware Tools logo, with shrink option, even though I have installed the VMware Tools for OS X from Donk's 310 darwin iso manually. A bit of digging around on this and other forums found a simple solution, credit to Donk et al.

The procedure actually does exactly what the shrink function does if you run it from the VMware Tools in XP, but requires a command line to be run under the Host OS to finish the process.

Within the OS X guestOS run Disk Utility and select the OS X disk, select the Erase Tab and click on "Erase Free Space...."

Select "Zero Out Deleted Files" and Click on the "Erase Free Space" button, the process will continue for sometime, so apply the Cup of Coffee rule.

Once completed shutdown the OS X guestOS and find the vmware-vdiskmanager.exe program by default "C:\Program Files(x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation" and run the following command from the Command Prompt (this is under Windows):

vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -k <guestOS location><filename>.vmdk

Example:

vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -k "D:\VMDK\Mac OS X Snow Leopard\Mac OS X Snow Leopard.vmdk"

Shrink: 39% done. Will show progress, followed by a Shrink completed successfully. Perhaps I will use shorter names for my OS X VM's in future!

Once completed your OS X guestOS should have shrunk, of course this is assuming you have used thin provisioning during the installation of your guestOS.

Hope this helps, MSoK!

Alright so Ive pretty much tried everything (the darwin isos and now the unlocker, I also even reinstalled windows just in case I screwed anything else up)

so now on a fresh install of windows and workstation 7.1

I am getting the error message "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point. "

Workstation Configuration

Xeon x5650 2.67ghz

12GB RAM

Windows Ultimate 64bit

the processor does support VT and it is enabled under Bios

I have the retail cd of Mac OSX Snow Leopard Server 10.6.3. Pretty much the screen freezes with apple logo and then i get the message.

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks again

Alright so Ive pretty much tried everything (the darwin isos and now the unlocker, I also even reinstalled windows just in case I screwed anything else up)

so now on a fresh install of windows and workstation 7.1

I am getting the error message "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point. "

Workstation Configuration

Xeon x5650 2.67ghz

12GB RAM

Windows Ultimate 64bit

the processor does support VT and it is enabled under Bios

I have the retail cd of Mac OSX Snow Leopard Server 10.6.3. Pretty much the screen freezes with apple logo and then i get the message.

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks again

OK, firstly get Workstation 7.1.1, everything should work in 7.1 but may as well run the latest version as upgrade will require reinstall of "Unlocker".

Secondly I assume you have run the Unlocker, windows.bat or Donk's upgraded windows.cmd.

Then all you should need is a retail DVD or ISO of SL and all should work fine, as your CPU supports VT-x and it is enabled in BIOS.

The only fly in the ointment may be your processor, some problems exist with 10.6.3 admittedly with Core i3, 5 and 7 processors but this may extend to the 5600 series, in which case you need to apply 10.6.4 before re-booting, or get an earlier release of SL i.e. 10.6.0 or 10.6.2 as the issue is restricted to 10.6.3.

P.S. I have an HP z600 Workstation with Dual Xeon E5520 processors which runs OS X either under Windows 7 Enterprise with VM Workstation 7.1.1 using the "Unlocker" and also under ESXi 4.1 using Donk's 310 darwin iso, both at 10.6.4, although my retail DVD is at 10.6.0. Sorry this sounds like a boast, it is not just trying show what should be possible, under a similar configuration.

And no one's still beat anyone to answering my question. :'(

Regards

--W

W, Sorry did not realise you still had a problem.

Okay guys, new here, so hello first. I've been trying to get the .bat solution working for the past three days but haven't had much by way of success. I keep getting the following message:

"The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point."

Not sure what to do now, tried several solutions already. :(

My system specs: i7 920 running on an Asus P6T with 6 gigs of Corsair goodness.

If you guys need anything else, screenies, more details, I'd be welcome to oblige :)

Regards

P.S. What happened to Albert, I don't see him on the thread any more :(

--W

If this is the post you were referring to then lets confirm a few things first. Your i7 has VT-x enabled in BIOS, you are running Windows 7 with VM Workstation 7.1.1, you have successfully run the OS X guestOS Unlocker, you have a retail DVD or ISO of OS X Snow Leopard, if not buy it from Apple (£29, €35, $39).

Make sure your DVD or ISO is NOT 10.6.3 as there is a known issue with Core i3, 5 & 7 processors and 10.6.3, if it will install make sure you update to 10.6.4 before re-booting otherwise you are going to get the two prongs, i.e. "The CPU has been disabled by the guestOS" when you do re-boot.

If you have any issues confirm the above along with your VMX file, attached please, and logfile.

Cheers, MSoK!

OK, firstly get Workstation 7.1.1, everything should work in 7.1 but may as well run the latest version as upgrade will require reinstall of "Unlocker".

Secondly I assume you have run the Unlocker, windows.bat or Donk's upgraded windows.cmd.

Then all you should need is a retail DVD or ISO of SL and all should work fine, as your CPU supports VT-x and it is enabled in BIOS.

The only fly in the ointment may be your processor, some problems exist with 10.6.3 admittedly with Core i3, 5 and 7 processors but this may extend to the 5600 series, in which case you need to apply 10.6.4 before re-booting, or get an earlier release of SL i.e. 10.6.0 or 10.6.2 as the issue is restricted to 10.6.3.

P.S. I have an HP z600 Workstation with Dual Xeon E5520 processors which runs OS X either under Windows 7 Enterprise with VM Workstation 7.1.1 using the "Unlocker" and also under ESXi 4.1 using Donk's 310 darwin iso, both at 10.6.4, although my retail DVD is at 10.6.0. Sorry this sounds like a boast, it is not just trying show what should be possible, under a similar configuration.

This is the Vmware Build I have installed with the unlocker

7.1.1 build-282343

I have the retail dvd, i ordered it from apple store they sent the 10.6.3. royally sucks if its tied to that specific version. Its probably my processor, even though they are supported from vwmare.

thanks again!

vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -k "D:\VMDK\Mac OS X Snow Leopard\Mac OS X Snow Leopard.vmdk"

Shrink: 39% done. Will show progress, followed by a Shrink completed successfully. Perhaps I will use shorter names for my OS X VM's in future!

In fact, you don't need the command line to shrink the disk. In VMware Workstation 7.1.1 (don't know about the other versions), in the settings for the virtual machine, simply double-click on your "Hard Disk" in the Hardware tab. Click on the Utilities button and select "Compact". That will do the same.

My 10.6.4 clean install (Install 10.0 + all software updates) grew my disk to 12.4 Gb. Then after the Erase Free Space and Compact, my disk shrunk to 5.7 GB !

In fact, you don't need the command line to shrink the disk. In VMware Workstation 7.1.1 (don't know about the other versions), in the settings for the virtual machine, simply double-click on your "Hard Disk" in the Hardware tab. Click on the Utilities button and select "Compact". That will do the same.

My 10.6.4 clean install (Install 10.0 + all software updates) grew my disk to 12.4 Gb. Then after the Erase Free Space and Compact, my disk shrunk to 5.7 GB !

pjg61 thanks for the update, simpler than running the vmware-vdiskmanager command line, but you still need to run the erase free space within your OS X guestOS, for Compact to work.

I just tried to install SL using the new 10.6.3 DVD and yes, you the dreaded "A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state..." from VMware. This isn't a question of patching to 10.6.4 before rebooting, it won't even install.

You need the 10.6 Retail DVD (10a432) to install on VMware. If you have 10.6, install that and do a Software Update and all works fine. But you cannot currently install from the 10.6.3 Retail DVD. These are my results on a Core i7 processor on a ThinkPad T510.