[GUIDE]: The MacBookPro18 Project

valv

499 posts in this topic

Can you upload the Trackpad.prefPane that you are using right now.

The one that I was using doesn't work with this kext. I copied the original one but no luck.

Apparently you are using a modified version.

not really. I just reinstalled retail version, few days ago. and nothing more I 've been adding (no hacks, no fixes, no kexts) only those kexts available from my first post.

Hi Valv!

About your GPU Hack, how did you find HasPanel, Backlight-control, DualLink, EDID, NVCAP, NVPM and "reg" infos? Since I have a GeForce GT 130M 1024mb, are some of those infos the same as for the GeForce 9600??? What should be different, and how to get the right info?

Thank you!

I had to modify the vanilla Trackpad.prefPane to get it working.

I either have to delete the following from info.plist

<key>NSPrefPaneIOServiceAttributesToMatch</key>
<dict>
	<key>HIDPointerAccelerationType</key>
	<string>HIDTrackpadAcceleration</string>
	<key>VendorID</key>
	<integer>1452</integer>
</dict>

or this one

<key>NSPrefPaneIOServiceToMatch</key>
<string>IOHIPointing</string>

And it always loads the old trackpad pane.

post-562417-1279489675_thumb.jpg

My trackpad is not multitouch capable so I can see why I don't have those two finger gestures but I would hope to see scrooling speed and zoom section. But i have scrolling working beautifully.

@Valv, does your trackpad has multitouch while using Windows or is it a goodness of Voodoo?

Could it be emulated?

I see. Would you mind sharing the one that is currently installed. I couldn't find and extract the vanilla one from the Retail DVD. It is in a compressed package I guess.
here is the one from my 10.6.4 vanilla system: Trackpad PrefPane

here is the one from my 10.6.4 vanilla system: Trackpad PrefPane

Thank you for this. Same behaviour. I think we don't have the same trackpad otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Does your trackpad feature multitouch on Windows? May be that's the reason.

Edit: I saw your post on this topic.

I added my usb mouse and got the following screen. My mouse (A4 Tech XL-755K) has 6 buttons on it (apart from the right and left click) and only one of them is working and I got it set to Expose :wacko: Tracking is noticeably faster tough it is not as fas as it is on Windows. It has 3600dpi.

post-562417-1279579951_thumb.jpg

I wonder if you have done a similar trick with the Trackpad or Keyboard and forgot to mention it :)

Because 1452 is vendor id of Apple and the only way for me to get my trackpad.prefPane working is to delete this id. May be I am making things up but it seems possible to me.

Thanks for your patient, again.

V for Vanilla :)

Thank you for this. Same behaviour. I think we don't have the same trackpad otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Does your trackpad feature multitouch on Windows? May be that's the reason...I wonder if you have done a similar trick with the Trackpad or Keyboard and forgot to mention it :(

I don't think mine features multitouch. no obfuscated tricks. sorry

First off, @valv, that is a freakin incredible guide on the DSDT stuff... I've tried that a hundred times before, and it never seemed to compile without warnings, errors, or just good old fashioned crashes. Following your directions, I got it to work in one shot!

I went ahead and created a Snow Leopard USB Stick, pre-loading it with the AnVal boot loader, and all of the kext's / boot.plist /etc from your first post, then I loaded the retail Snow Leopard on there, with the MBR modification (so I can continue using win7).

It all installed w/o a problem, but I noticed immediately that I didn't have sound... I've seen VoodooHDA mentioned in your first post, but there's no d/l link for it. Which version are you using?

Besides for that, sleep isn't quite 100%... the system goes to sleep (blinky power led), but can't recover from that state w/o a manual reboot (5-sec power press). After reading others comments, this seems to be standard practice, but I wanted to make sure.

Also, I noticed that your boot.plist contains ECDT.aml and FADT.aml... but I don't see any directions on how to build them.

Finally, your acpidump instructions have me dumping SSDT(CpuPm, Cpu0IST, CpuApIST, Cpu0CST & CpuApCST), but then not recompiling them or anything. Are these just "not-yet-documented" items?

Thanks again for the great work, this made installing on my HDX18 a breeze!

First off, @valv, that is a freakin incredible guide on the DSDT stuff... I've tried that a hundred times before, and it never seemed to compile without warnings, errors, or just good old fashioned crashes. Following your directions, I got it to work in one shot!

I went ahead and created a Snow Leopard USB Stick, pre-loading it with the AnVal boot loader, and all of the kext's / boot.plist /etc from your first post, then I loaded the retail Snow Leopard on there, with the MBR modification (so I can continue using win7).

It all installed w/o a problem, but I noticed immediately that I didn't have sound... I've seen VoodooHDA mentioned in your first post, but there's no d/l link for it. Which version are you using?

Besides for that, sleep isn't quite 100%... the system goes to sleep (blinky power led), but can't recover from that state w/o a manual reboot (5-sec power press). After reading others comments, this seems to be standard practice, but I wanted to make sure.

Also, I noticed that your boot.plist contains ECDT.aml and FADT.aml... but I don't see any directions on how to build them.

Finally, your acpidump instructions have me dumping SSDT(CpuPm, Cpu0IST, CpuApIST, Cpu0CST & CpuApCST), but then not recompiling them or anything. Are these just "not-yet-documented" items?

Thanks again for the great work, this made installing on my HDX18 a breeze!

Welcome to the club ;) Let me answer some of your questions.

1) I don't know which version of VoodooHDA Valv is using but if you want to use LegacyAppleHDA.kext check out my post on this topic.

2) We could only able to wake from sleep if we set sleep mode to 0, which is the sleep only mode. You could also set your sleep mode to 1, which is the hibernate only mode. If you could set your sleep mode to 3, which is the safe sleep, meaning that your computer goes to sleep and if the battery runs out it will recover from hibernate, you computer probably will not wake up but it will resume from hibernate after a force restart. In order to resume from hibernate, make sure you have the same parameters in your boot.plist with Valv. Check our previous posts as to how to change the sleep mode.

Btw, if you have applied 9600M GT hack, don't forget to remove GraphicsEnabler key from your boot.plist.

3) The SSDT tables that you have dumped, to my knowledge, cannot be compiled right away so can the FADT.dsl. These steps have not been covered yet. We are eagerly waiting for Valv to complete these steps when he finds himself comfortable in terms of enough time.

Welcome to the club :) Let me answer some of your questions.

1) I don't know which version of VoodooHDA Valv is using but if you want to use LegacyAppleHDA.kext check out my post on this topic.

2) We could only able to wake from sleep if we set sleep mode to 0, which is the sleep only mode. You could also set your sleep mode to 1, which is the hibernate only mode. If you could set your sleep mode to 3, which is the safe sleep, meaning that your computer goes to sleep and if the battery runs out it will recover from hibernate, you computer probably will not wake up but it will resume from hibernate after a force restart. In order to resume from hibernate, make sure you have the same parameters in your boot.plist with Valv. Check our previous posts as to how to change the sleep mode.

Btw, if you have applied 9600M GT hack, don't forget to remove GraphicsEnabler key from your boot.plist.

3) The SSDT tables that you have dumped, to my knowledge, cannot be compiled right away so can the FADT.dsl. These steps have not been covered yet. We are eagerly waiting for Valv to complete these steps when he finds himself comfortable in terms of enough time.

Thanks for the response!

1) If I use your LegacyAppleHDA, is it possible to go /extra/extensions only [perhaps by manuallly creating the mkext]? I thought that the primary reason behind using VoodooHDA was that it leaves the SL install Vanilla (and gives you post-sleep audio to boot).

2) Hrm... can those be set based on ac-cord presence? In other words, if plugged in, sleep(0), if not, hibernate(1)? I saw some references to doing that, but didn't see an actual solution (I may just have missed it though)

2a) Definitely need to change the Graphics Enabler thing, thanks!

3) I found another page (this) that described how to recompile the SSDT-related aml's... so I'll go ahead and experiment with that a little. If I get it to work, I'll post my results.

Thanks!

... oh, and I remembered one more thing.

When I finally booted into SL, my hard drives didn't show up on the desktop... I could "Go to folder", but the icons weren't there... that seems like a simple fix, I just don't know what it is.

Thanks for the response!

1) If I use your LegacyAppleHDA, is it possible to go /extra/extensions only [perhaps by manuallly creating the mkext]? I thought that the primary reason behind using VoodooHDA was that it leaves the SL install Vanilla (and gives you post-sleep audio to boot).

2) Hrm... can those be set based on ac-cord presence? In other words, if plugged in, sleep(0), if not, hibernate(1)? I saw some references to doing that, but didn't see an actual solution (I may just have missed it though)

2a) Definitely need to change the Graphics Enabler thing, thanks!

3) I found another page (this) that described how to recompile the SSDT-related aml's... so I'll go ahead and experiment with that a little. If I get it to work, I'll post my results.

Thanks!

... oh, and I remembered one more thing.

When I finally booted into SL, my hard drives didn't show up on the desktop... I could "Go to folder", but the icons weren't there... that seems like a simple fix, I just don't know what it is.

1) You are right about VoodooHDA but for me, VoodooHDA has always caused problem, random KPs, error logs etc. so I am using this solution. Just copy the files to their places and use Pfix to repair permission. No manual editing needed.

2) I don't know if it is possible. Valv shared two scripts previously. Did you look at them?

3) I know that Valv is working on a new version of his bootloader, which hopefully will create C- States and P-States on the fly. Also please do share your experience.

Oh, btw, click Finder > Preferences and there you can see "Show these items on the desktop" option.

1) You are right about VoodooHDA but for me, VoodooHDA has always caused problem, random KPs, error logs etc. so I am using this solution. Just copy the files to their places and use Pfix to repair permission. No manual editing needed.

2) I don't know if it is possible. Valv shared two scripts previously. Did you look at them?

3) I know that Valv is working on a new version of his bootloader, which hopefully will create C- States and P-States on the fly. Also please do share your experience.

Oh, btw, click Finder > Preferences and there you can see "Show these items on the desktop" option.

Didn't notice just how capable SmartSleep (Here ) was when I first read the page... looks like it does exactly what I want.

One thing I have noticed going through Valv's guide is that my processor is a little different than his, and it's actually a match to MacBookPro5,5 instead of 5,4... I don't know what other settings in the smbios.plist would need to additionally get updated to make that work right. The processor is the P8400 (2.26 GHz).

Didn't notice just how capable SmartSleep (Here ) was when I first read the page... looks like it does exactly what I want.

One thing I have noticed going through Valv's guide is that my processor is a little different than his, and it's actually a match to MacBookPro5,5 instead of 5,4... I don't know what other settings in the smbios.plist would need to additionally get updated to make that work right. The processor is the P8400 (2.26 GHz).

I have the same CPU but still I set my Mac model to 5,4. Valv created another legacy kext for me. You can try that if you want to.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1511534

Alright, I've got audio working via JBraddock's AppleHDA.kext fixes. I've got the system dual-booting with windows 7 now (took a few tries to get that setup right, but AnVal was more than up to the task). If you're still looking for an audio dump from windows, I can get that for you.

I'm pretty sure my PStates aren't working though. I've got all of the dvst patches in there, and I'm using the LegacyHdx18.kext that Valv made for JBraddock, but when I look at the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin in IORegistry Explorer, I don't see "IOPersonalityPublisher String com.cell.driver.hdx18", and IOPlatformThermalProfile has 0 values.

I don't know if it matters or not, but I'm stuck booting "arch=i386" because RALink refuses to release 64bit kext's for my wireless card :-p

Finally, I've been running into the dreaded DSDTse "NilObject" error... so all my dvst editing/compiling is being done by hand now. For the record, that sucks.

Alright, I've got audio working via JBraddock's AppleHDA.kext fixes. I've got the system dual-booting with windows 7 now (took a few tries to get that setup right, but AnVal was more than up to the task). If you're still looking for an audio dump from windows, I can get that for you.

I'm pretty sure my PStates aren't working though. I've got all of the dvst patches in there, and I'm using the LegacyHdx18.kext that Valv made for JBraddock, but when I look at the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin in IORegistry Explorer, I don't see "IOPersonalityPublisher String com.cell.driver.hdx18", and IOPlatformThermalProfile has 0 values.

I don't know if it matters or not, but I'm stuck booting "arch=i386" because RALink refuses to release 64bit kext's for my wireless card :-p

Finally, I've been running into the dreaded DSDTse "NilObject" error... so all my dvst editing/compiling is being done by hand now. For the record, that sucks.

Could you make sure that your Mac model is set to MacBookPro5,4.

valv

thanks for all your dsdt edits, i have used lots on my Asus M50 VM. The GFX section for the 9600 GT works fine on my 9600m GS after changing the model and ram size. this fixed the randon black screen on startups for me.

I still haven't gotten sleep working yet, it powers off and wakes right away to a black screen but with the gfx in the dsdt i can wake the black screen with the fn and brightness key (no more hard reboots)

Keep up the nice work here!!

Could you make sure that your Mac model is set to MacBookPro5,4.

Yup, MacBookPro5,4.

When I do a kextstat, I don't see the LegacyHdx18 kext in there... nor the VoodooBattery for that matter (I never even noticed that I didn't have any A/C adapter info before). I've checked the permissions/ownership, and they're fine... I even tried manually loading the legacyhdx18.kext and it didn't give an error, but kextstat doesn't report it.

Thoughts?

Yup, MacBookPro5,4.

When I do a kextstat, I don't see the LegacyHdx18 kext in there... nor the VoodooBattery for that matter (I never even noticed that I didn't have any A/C adapter info before). I've checked the permissions/ownership, and they're fine... I even tried manually loading the legacyhdx18.kext and it didn't give an error, but kextstat doesn't report it.

Thoughts?

Hrm... file that one under "sunnova {censored}..."

I went ahead and used kextcache to combine my /Extra/Extensions (Which is on an EFI volume) with /S/L/E, and ~viola~, Legacy kext is loading, battery appears, power management is wonderful, and sleepsmart has me nicely sleeping / hibernating w/o any strange need for manual reboots...

Besides for Fingerprint + Wireless... I'm not aware of anything not working now :(

I'm sure I could be doing power management better w/ the new SSDT stuff, but I have to admit, this is pretty freakin awesome!

PS- Oddly, I appear to have two names here... Vecter and Ecifer... don't know when I did that :-p

Glad you made it worked.

I'am also planing to install OSX on an EFI volume once I've backed up my whole hard drive. I hope you guys help me with it :D

Regarding the power management, I have the following error message appeared in Console from time to time.

Jul 29 13:07:28 localhost kernel[0]: Not loading kext com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin - not found and kextd not available in early boot.

• 3 weeks later...

All of the edits to the _GTF, and _GTM Methods;

4) Next find Device (PRID) located into Device (SAT0) & Device (SAT1) Sections and add the same line at the end of the _GTM Method.

5) Below the PRID Device, u'll find these devices (P_D0), (P_D1), (SECD), (S_D0) and (S_D1).

Do locate their _GTM or _GTF Method and do the same as above.

These methods require a buffer to be returned not an integer, seems the latest compiler has stricter enforcement on some things. So instead of adding Return (Zero) to those sections that are missing a return value I had to add;

Return (Buffer (Zero) {})

Otherwise Errors were generated. The guide has been fairly helpful to this point I do hope you continue to update it. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

ThermalZone

Before we begin, go to the bios menu and verify that the option related to fan is "always on". It is always better safe than sorry.

Back into our DSDTable. Once positioned on the section labeled ThermalZone (TZ01), we remove those lines in red

ThermalZone (TZ01)
       {
           Method (_HOT, 0, Serialized)
           {
[color="#ff0000"][b]                If (LGreaterEqual (OSYS, 0x07D6))
               {[/b][/color]
                   If (LEqual (\_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC0.QUAD, One))
                   {
                       Return (0x0E94)
                   }
                   Else
                   {
                       If (LEqual (TJMX, 0x64))
                       {
                           Return (0x0EC6)
                       }
                   }

If (LEqual (TJMX, 0x55))
                   {
                       Return (0x0E30)
                   }
[b][color="#ff0000"]}[/color][/b]
           Return (Zero)
           }
           Method (_CRT, 0, Serialized)
           {
[b][color="#ff0000"]                If (LLess (OSYS, 0x07D6))
               {[/color][/b]
                   If (LEqual (\_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC0.QUAD, One))
                   {
                       Return (0x0E94)
                   }
                   Else
                   {
                       If (LEqual (TJMX, 0x64))
                       {
                           Return (0x0EC6)
                       }
                   }

If (LEqual (TJMX, 0x55))
                   {
                       Return (0x0E30)
                   }
[b][color="#ff0000"]}[/color][/b]
              Return (Zero)
           }

Method (_TMP, 0, NotSerialized)

Greetings,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your great contribution, these information have helped me a lot to install SL on my 13 inch HP.

I would like to confirm the above setting on my DSDT - is this the only setting/config that deals with the CPU tem/fan setup. Reason being is that my DV35xx has the fan always ON and my CPU (P8600 - 2.4 GHz) temp is 45-50 degrees at idle.

It`s very hot, would like to know what to delete/leave on default to have the speedstep and CPU setting normal.

Please a little help will be well appreciated.

(sorry for bad English)

Greetings,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your great contribution, these information have helped me a lot to install SL on my 13 inch HP.

I would like to confirm the above setting on my DSDT - is this the only setting/config that deals with the CPU tem/fan setup. Reason being is that my DV35xx has the fan always ON and my CPU (P8600 - 2.4 GHz) temp is 45-50 degrees at idle.

It`s very hot, would like to know what to delete/leave on default to have the speedstep and CPU setting normal.

Please a little help will be well appreciated.

(sorry for bad English)

Please share your installation method, kexts files you are using right now (All of them). I need to know what you use for speedstep.

Also please keep in mind that this tutorial is not finished yet especially in terms of speedstep, firewire, SBUS etc. I have a few things to share but I have been tied up with so many things lately that keep me away from posting new stuff.