[GUIDE]: The MacBookPro18 Project

valv

499 posts in this topic

@Valv,

Great project.

I've successfully extracted under Ubuntu 10.4 ApCst.aml, ApIst.aml, Cpu0Cst.aml and Cpu0Ist.aml.

Now, how do I get Snow Leopard to load them? System Monitor only shows one core and I have a Core i7 720QM with 4 physical cores and 4 virtual cores. Are all the cores supposed to be showing up in Activity Monitor?

Speedstep is enabled, but only between 0.93 Ghz and up to 1.73 Ghz. I don't have turbo boost enabled up to 2.8 Ghz with the base speed being 1.6 Ghz

@Vavl, I edited my previous post as I discovered what I was doing wrong. I got all my usb ports recognised as Built-in. However, I have a little problem there.

After changing UHC5 device id, although it is seen as built-in device, I lost my trackpad. I am not using Voodoo keyboard/trackpad solution as I always had problem with that. I don't know about this version but the one I tried didn't even let me type my login password even with a usb keyboard. So, could you tell me if this was expected and if so, the keyboard solution you provided can solve this? It came back after a second boot but I lost the smooth scrolling.

Finally, I know you are very busy with the bootloader and if you also can answer my previous questions on RTC, SMBus and LPC hacks at your earliest convenience I would be very much happy.

I will upload my recent DSDT file so you may look into those four warnings I talked about.

Hi valv,

compliments for your exams! I had them too, for that reason i stopped you asking & asking ... :(

When you will have a bunch of time, would you mind to compile for us a guide to correctly loading ACPI tables with hdx18 (for c-states, speedstep, etc) in combination with your AnVAL bootloader ? It would be amazing and top-class hack!!!

In my case it's the most important thing to solve because i am having high temperatures with my computer (about 74-75 C) and i am not sure i have speedstep properly working.

Some suggestions/replies to other ppl :

@EVERYBODY

I suggest you to find an external usb 16 gb pendrive or an external harddrive with a proper installation of snow there(be sure you can boot from it more than twice booting from such usb drive, even without (or disabling) internal harddrive!). In this way you can experiment with kexts, bootloader and so on without losing the option to "restore" everything if something goes wrong.

@JBraddock

Hi JBraddock,

i am not valv ... but i can answer you about something :

- For your convenience, please find yourself an externaul usb harddrive or an external pendrive with a working snow leo (or leo) working installation for your machine(to restore something that goes wrong).

- I did all dsdt fixes by valv except RTC

- which bios version are you using ? i have the suspect you have not the latest one...

- RTC section is different here too, and i didn't do any change but i didn't find any problem ... sometimes i have a kernel panic when system starts, but it's due to VoodooHDA (as i can see from kernel log... dunno if it's related to RTC , but i don't think so).

- LPC & SMBus are needed for native speedstep for what i know ... i did such changes and they were successfull (at least i think so) and easy to fix, but you must do it (LPC mainly) in combination with lspci -nn term command(as superuser) to find your own IDs.

- AppleHDA : Personally i use VoodooHDA (and not patched AppleHDA) just because audio with AppleHDA does not work any more after resuming from sleep. Although i'd like to use AppleHDA for a better "vanilla" solution, better volume control, better device handling like a true macbook pro and so on, the problem with AppleHDA in my case is that when resuming from sleep, audio does not work anymore using it. It works perfectly using the most recent VoodooHDA. If you find a solution with AppleHDA having your audio working after resuming from sleep, please let us know how you (or any other) did it. Please fix your sleep (it CAN be done, i am sure about that) and let us know if you have audio working after resuming from sleep.

@ Jingu

i don't think you have an HDX18 , since you have an i7 cpu & H55M or P55M chipset, far off topic from this subject. It's a different beast, so i think it's very difficult you will find a solution for this kind of cpu& chipset . This subject is for HDX18 owners or for ppl who have same chipset machine (P45M) at least with core2duo/core2quad cpu, not i7 and made by HP(other brands may have different bios and different dsdt)

Thanks,

Mal

@JBraddock

Hi JBraddock,

i am not valv ... but i can answer you about something :

@Manmal, thank you for your help.

I think I have the latest bios, which is F.32A, released on 20/11/2009. I know this because I installed Vista again to apply this bios update. My HDX's model is HP HDX X16-1005EA, which is a UK model.

I applied all the hacks except RTC, LPC and SMBus. Once I've created a new retail installation usb drive with Snow Leopard 10.6.3, I will apply these hacks too. Regarding to RTC, I think I only have to change BUF1 to BUF0. I'll try it and see what happens. My LPC and SMbus ids are same with the Valv's so all I need to do is to apply those hacks with the given Ids. I hope it goes well.

I removed VoodooHDA due to the same reasons, either it slowed down my booting and produced lots of error messages or occasionally gave me KPs.

I will share my audio solution along side the DSDT patch. I don't know about if it is working after sleep but for now only problem I have is that touchpad control and menu bar control doesn't sync completely. But if you use an external speakers it works perfectly. I think it is something to do with the LegacyAppleHDA.kext that I am using right now. I don't know how but it can be fixed I guess.

I have a question on native speed step. May I ask you why we don't need to add P States to the DSDT as I have seen other tutorials, which apply LPC fix together with adding P-States to the Generic Scope. To my knowledge, C-States are being read from Bios but I don't know if it's true for P-States as well.

By the way, in my previous post, I said I'd lost trackpad after applying usb fixes. I did a second boot and my trackpad came to life. But I lost smooth scrolling for certain type of applications like Itunes, Safari. Once I have taken backup I'll try Voodoo's keyboard and mouse solutions and see what happens. Anyone else has this problem?

Ok guys, I am not a DSDT geek but I would like to share DSDT patch for audio. As you may have read from my previous posts I am using vanilla AppleHDA.kext extracted from 10.6.2 as Apple removed support for some audio chipsets, including ours, from upcoming OSX versions.

Update: Please see the following post for the updated code.

Open your DSDT and search for Device (OVGA) and above this, paste the following code. I am not sure if there was a specific reason for me having put this code above Device (OVGA).

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x04)
					{
						"layout-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
						}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						Buffer (Zero) {}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

Now, after applying this hack, please download this file: 92HD71B7X_AppleHDA_10.6.2

- Copy AppleHDA.kext to System/Library/Extensions. (This is the original/untouched version from 10.6.2)

- Copy LegacyAppleHDA.kext to Extra folder. (Don't put it to S/L/E!)

Notes:

You must apply DTGP method to your DSDT first. Check out the first page.

Pin configuration and other important information are included in LegacyAppleHDA.kext.

LegacyAppleHDA.kext is not created by me. I don't remember where I got it.

This hacks assumes that your audio controller's device id is as follows:

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:293e] (rev 03)

(Please pay attention here: 00:1b.0 turns into 0x001B0000.)

if you guys are able to use sleep, please could you test this solution and report back if it is still working after the wake.

Guys, I think with the above code, the audio is not going to work after sleep. I did a little bit of research and tweaked my code accordingly. I'll share it tomorrow. So I reserved this place :D

Update I Yes, it is sleeping but lazy {censored} doesn't wake up with the power button. If I hold the power button and turn the HDX off and restart again, after the Chameleon menu it says something about wake kernel and then there I have my desktop :) I can't call it a complete success but it is something I guess.

PS: Audio is working after 'sleep'.

post-562417-1277414343_thumb.png

// Update II So I downloaded a DSDT file from this post. When I compared the HDEF fix applied to that DSDT with mine, I noticed that there are some codes missing in my HDEF device. So the tweaked code will be like this.

Open your DSDT file and search for _L0D and add Notify (\_SB.PWRB, 0x02) to this code. You'll end up like this.

Method (_L0D, 0, NotSerialized)
	{
		Notify (\_SB.PCI0.HDEF, 0x02)
		Notify (\_SB.PWRB, 0x02)
	}

Now, search for Device (OVGA) and paste the code below right above Device (OVGA).

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (Package (0x02)
				{
					0x0D, 
					0x05
				})
			}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x0A)
					{
						"built-in", 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x00
						}, 

"codec-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0xB2, 0x76, 0x1D, 0x11
						}, 

"layout-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
						}, 

"device-type", 
						Buffer (0x10)
						{
							"IDT 92HD71B7"
						}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						Buffer (Zero) {}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

Please find the necessary kext files and instruction in my previous post.

If you are wonder here is the audio detail of HDX that I dumped for a while ago. Detailed one is here.

Terminal_Saved_Output.txt

Probing codec #0...
HDA Codec #0: IDT 92HD71B7
HDA Codec ID: 0x111d76b2
   Vendor: 0x111d
   Device: 0x76b2
 Revision: 0x03
 Stepping: 0x02
PCI Subvendor: 0x361b103c

Please notice that "HDA Codec ID: 0x111d76b2" becomes 0xB2, 0x76, 0x1D, 0x11. Here is the output.

post-562417-1277477835_thumb.jpg

I already mentioned my sleep experience above. I don't know if this solution is still going to work if I've fixed the wake up with the power button. But now, it seems to work. Please let me know if this works for you.

hi JBradock,

thanks for your help.

With your dsdt modifications & applehda.kext+legacyapplehda.kext audio does not work after sleep here in my hdx18.

If i understood correctly, i should use dsdt modifications for L0D and for HDEF like in your last post removing the HDEF modifications in previous post you wrote, correct ?

Mal

Yes, that's right. As I said earlier, my sleep experience is a bit of problematic and I can't really say if it's really working for me. All I can say is that it is working after resuming the sleep.

I am sure we'll find a solution.

Yes, that's right. As I said earlier, my sleep experience is a bit of problematic and I can't really say if it's really working for me. All I can say is that it is working after resuming the sleep.

I am sure we'll find a solution.

hmm ... here audio does not work at all after resuming from sleep. And i am following the exact configuration/dsdt mods as you suggest ; IORegistryExplorer shows me the exact values as yours! Really strange you have audio after resuming from sleep and me not. I am using anval latest bootloader (not beta one, 06/04/10 one) :wacko:

If someone can find a solution to this i'd be more than happy!

I hope we can find a solution ... i'd like to use applehda much more than voodoohda .

...And we are always waiting for valv for his speedstep guide through correct acpi tables for hdx18 using anval bootloader :)

Mal

hmm ... here audio does not work at all after resuming from sleep. And i am following the exact configuration/dsdt mods as you suggest ; IORegistryExplorer shows me the exact values as yours! Really strange you have audio after resuming from sleep and me not. I am using anval latest bootloader (not beta one, 06/04/10 one) :)

Me neither... And, like you, I tried the exact same configuration... I still can't resume from sleep! :D

...And we are always waiting for valv for his speedstep guide through correct acpi tables for hdx18 using anval bootloader :P

;):P :P

Just to make sure that we're talking about the same thing when we say "resuming sleep".

- My HDX 16 sleeps well.

- He doesn't wake up with the power button

- When I press the power button, I see a black screen and he gets frozen.

- I hold the power button and turn him off.

- I turn him on again and after Chameleon menu, it says something about wake kernel and there I have my desktop and yes, audio is working.

So the question for me is that whether it's still going to work after fixing the waking up with the power button. So the time will tell.

Regarding the bootloader versions,

I tried RC4 and AnVal bootloaders (beta3b and beta3c). I am using beta3c right now. (The steps above are working with these bootloaders)

I tried the latest version (beta4b) and it broke my resuming sleep. It just starts the OSX but not resume sleep.

It is working with the latest version as well. You just have to update your boot.plist according to Valv's and set hibernate mode to 3 with this command: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3.

Don't forget to uncheck "secure virtual memory" under System Preferences > Security.

Hi jbraddock,

Your system has not sleep & resume working properly(dunno why). What you are talking about is resume from hibernate. It's a different thing. the computer powers off then on again. I can confirm that audio is not working using applehda after *Proper resuming from sleep.

if anyone find a solution please let us know.

Thanks!

mal

Just to make sure that we're talking about the same thing when we say "resuming sleep".

- My HDX 16 sleeps well.

- He doesn't wake up with the power button

- When I press the power button, I see a black screen and he gets frozen.

- I hold the power button and turn him off.

- I turn him on again and after Chameleon menu, it says something about wake kernel and there I have my desktop and yes, audio is working.

So the question for me is that whether it's still going to work after fixing the waking up with the power button. So the time will tell.

Regarding the bootloader versions,

I tried RC4 and AnVal bootloaders (beta3b and beta3c). I am using beta3c right now. (The steps above are working with these bootloaders)

I tried the latest version (beta4b) and it broke my resuming sleep. It just starts the OSX but not resume sleep.

It is working with the latest version as well. You just have to update your boot.plist according to Valv's and set hibernate mode to 3 with this command: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3.

Don't forget to uncheck "secure virtual memory" under System Preferences > Security.

Hi Manmal,

I think you are right. I am not familiar with the correct terminology and that's why I tried to explain what I meant by resuming the sleep. I don't know why but even while using Windows, I've never used sleep :) But I want to use now.

Right now, the most important thing for me is to implement proper speed step. Now, my cpu is floating around 60-75 Degree :)

I am waiting for Valv as you do.

Hi jbraddock,

Your system has not sleep & resume working properly(dunno why). What you are talking about is resume from hibernate. It's a different thing. the computer powers off then on again. I can confirm that audio is not working using applehda after *Proper resuming from sleep.

if anyone find a solution please let us know.

Thanks!

mal

So what's the point of using sleep if resuming from hibernation works then. I don't mind as long as my system "sleeps" when I don't need to use it, and resumes in 3 seconds. here is the best explanation I 've found:

"I was not aware of it, but by default when your Mac goes to sleep mode (you close the lid of the laptop, or power saving kicks in, etc.) it does in fact save a hibernate file (/var/vm/sleepimage) first, and then goes to standy mode (thus

the computer is on, it just stops running all programs and puts itself into a low powered mode).

This means that there is no separate stand by / sleep / hibernate modes as in e.g. Windows but just one: sleep.

Also with this method when the battery runs out or the power is lost - when you restart the computer it will find

the hibernate file and restarts with all your programs running as it was left. Is not this cool?

Of course some of you might want to save on the battery - so they should always just go to hibernate mode and leave

the low power stand by mode out. You can do that only from the command line - Terminal application as it should not be changed by average users. These are the commands:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1 (it affects all modes: battery and ups and ac)

sudo pmset -b hibernatemode 1 (only battery mode affected)

to reset enter 3 instead of 1. It will ask for your password. And there’s no need to restart.

If you do have secure virtual memory enabled (by default it is not) use 5 instead of 1. That’s all as far as I am aware.

Again. I think this surpasses windows xp or vista’s operation where you are presented with lots of options.

On the Mac it just works. And just please tell me about it. I was a power windows user for too long.

Enough is enough."

pengekcs.com

What's the point of using sleep if resuming from hibernate works then. I understand a sh**t about the difference, and I don't mind as long as my system "hibernates" when I don't need to use it, and resumes in 3 seconds. here is the best explanation I found:

"I was not aware of it, but by default when your Mac goes to sleep mode (you close the lid of the laptop, or power saving kicks in, etc.) it does in fact save a hibernate file (/var/vm/sleepimage) first, and then goes to standy mode (thus the computer is on, it just stops running all programs and puts itself into a low powered mode).

This means that there is no separate stand by / sleep / hibernate modes as in e.g. Windows but just one: sleep. Also with this method when the battery runs out or the power is lost - when you restart the computer it will find the hibernate file and restarts with all your programs running as it was left. Is not this cool?

Of course some of you might want to save on the battery - so they should always just go to hibernate mode and leave the low power stand by mode out. You can do that only from the command line - Terminal application as it should not be changed by average users. These are the commands:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1 (it affects all modes: battery and ups and ac)

sudo pmset -b hibernatemode 1 (only battery mode affected)

to reset enter 3 instead of 1. It will ask for your password. And there’s no need to restart.

If you do have secure virtual memory enabled (by default it is not) use 5 instead of 1. That’s all as far as I am aware.

Again. I think this surpasses windows xp or vista’s operation where you are presented with lots of options. On the Mac it just works. And just please tell me about it. I was a power windows user for too long. Enough is enough."

pengekcs.com

@Vavl, I agree with you on this issue. Because, as a person who has never used sleep function before, from now on, if I want to put OSx into sleep, that means, I'll not be at home and all I want is to turn my computer on as fast as I can and Osx to preserve my last workspace when I get back to home. Since I'll be away, say, six or seven hours I don't see the point of leaving computer semi-turned on.

Again, it may be just a personal preference but I really liked this feature, which I discovered by chance. If you also remove Chameleon timeout option, it resumes really fast.

If you want to remove or regenerate the sleep image, which may get damaged, you can look at this topic.

I did a little bit of research and although I didn't find anything new, I would like to share a few articles that may help us understand these sleep and hibernation things.

In Terminal/iTerm/etc run the following command to determine your current sleep mode:

pmset -g | grep hibernate

This should return one of the following:

0 – Legacy sleep mode. It will save everything to RAM upon sleeping but does not support “Safe Sleep”. Very fast sleep.

1 – Legacy “Safe Sleep”. This is the “Safe Sleep”. Everything your laptop goes into sleep, it will save everything to harddisk. Slow on Sleep and Startup.

3 – Default. As described above, when sleeping, contents are saved to RAM. When battery runs out, hibernate occurs.

5 – Behaves as 1 but applicable only for modern Mac that uses “Secure virtual memory”.

7 – Behaves as 3 but applicable only for modern Mac that uses “Secure virtual memory”.

- http://www.geeked.info/make-my-macbook-pro-hibernate/

- http://www.geekguides.co.uk/104/how-to-ena...-mode-on-a-mac/

You can change this settings through terminal or this little application that goes under System Preferences:

http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html

I am trying to dump my ACPI table under linux by using Ubuntu Live CD.

I dumped ACPI tables but when I typed "acpidump -a 0xFirstValue -l 0xSecondValue > CpuPm" (I changed the values according to mine)

Though I can't remember it says something about "can't amount to dev/mem/".

How can I pass this warning? My whole hard drive is formatted with Mac OS Journaled if it matters.

Hi there,

As promised, this here is what I've accomplished to get a vanilla Snow Leopard installation flawlessly working on my HDX18t 1200CTO.

First,

things working so far:

+ Graphics: (DSDT)

+ Sound: (VoodooHDA)

+ Keyboard/Trackpad: (VoodooPS2)

+ Speed-Step: (SSDTs)

+ Wifi: (Usb)

+ Ahci: (Legacy Kext)

+ Sleep/Wake: (DSDT)

+ Firewire: (DSDT) - not tested though

+ Sudden Motion Sensor: (DSDT) - virtualized

+ Ambient Light Sensor: (DSDT) - virtualized

+ Battery: (VoodooBattery)

+ Network: (DSDT)

+ everything I couldn't remember by now

Things not working yet:

+ Integrated Wifi 5100

+ Infrared controller

+ Fingerprint Reader

+ Integrated Card-reader

Prerequisites

1. An already in place installation
  2. One free partition for your Vanilla Snow Leopard Installation
  3. An Image of Vanilla Snow Leopard install DVD
  4. Get a copy of UInstaller from pcwiz web site (we'll get to this later on)

btw, this section will be later replaced with an appropriate way to setup directly from DVD

Ready?

let's get started then

Kernel Extensions

Next, download those kexts from here and put them on the same folder (I call mine SnowXT, and put it on Desktop)

fakesmc.kext.zipCredits: Netkas & Anv

VoodooBattery.kext.zipCredits: SupperHai

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zipCredits: VoodooTeam

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext.zipCredits: VoodooTeam

CPUInjector.kext we don't need this anymore.

Credits: Digital DJ

LegacyHdx18.kext.zip

One's all kexts uncompressed to the same folder, we move to the real work

UPDATE:

Now the Infred Controller,Fingerprind Reader and Cardreader could now be used !! Have it working !

@jbraddock, valv

sleep is a VERY useful for me. In my system i don't have hibernate ALWAYS working well. Sometimes it happens it doesn't resume correctly (and sometimes i boot windows 7 too). Sleep is very useful here, and it works like a charm (applehda apart... the only thing it doesn't work after resume from sleep and i would love to fix it).

Sleep is present like in true macbooks here.

I find that a full charged battery lasts for 4 days minimum in sleep mode and i think that if i don't use a laptop for more than 4 days, it means that i don't need it that much ! :) LOL ;)

...And resume from sleep is 0-2 sec ... so almost INSTANT resume!

From hibernate it takes much more time(at least 10 seconds including bios-boot-time).

@emshomar

UPDATE:

Now the Infred Controller,Fingerprind Reader and Cardreader could now be used !! Have it working !

hi Emshomar,

if i understood correctly what you wrote, you have card reader, fingerprint, infrared controller all working.

Could you please give us more details how fingerprint, card reader and infrared controller can be used and which driver are you using ?

Thanks!

Mal

@Manmal,

if sleep function works for me, I promise, I'll not say "Hey, I don't want you" :star_smile:

Yes, it seems pretty handy but I could live without it and rely on Hibernation if I can't fix it.

Right now, all I want is to fix this speed step thing. My computer starts with 38 degree and goes up to 77 degree. Yes I saw that number :(

By the way, may I ask you what you did/implemented apart from the hacks that Valv provided in order to get the sleep working.

I am just trying to understand what is keeping my computer from waking up?

I am trying to dump my ACPI table under linux by using Ubuntu Live CD.

I dumped ACPI tables but when I typed "acpidump -a 0xFirstValue -l 0xSecondValue > CpuPm" (I changed the values according to mine)

Though I can't remember it says something about "can't amount to dev/mem/".

How can I pass this warning? My whole hard drive is formatted with Mac OS Journaled if it matters.

Please redo the whole process (I know it is time consuming) then write that message down and post it back over here.

Please redo the whole process (I know it is time consuming) then write that message down and post it back over here.

At this time, it didn't give me that warning and I was able to dump all the tables you said.

Thanks,

@JBraddock

i did the changes valv suggested but i didn't change the names. I had to change that "strange" usb too. check IoRegistryExplorer if you have some "strange" USB devices, not listed in system profiler (it was my case!) . I don't remember to have put other changes in dsdt. I had probs with sleep, but after fixing USB i had sleep & resume working (and led blinking while sleeping, like in windows).

I am using voodoopowermini right now. (... waiting for valv's dsdt/ssdt tables implementation to be loaded for pstates/cstates for our machine :( ).

I have the suspect there is something different in hdx16 bios (graphics?some usb devices?ethernet?somethingelse?).

Try to do as superuser this command : pmset -g log . In latest lines you will see what didn't work in awake your system and try to check it (post here or try to fix it by yourself).

@valv

Now i have a problem: my hibernatemode is not working anymore here and i dunno hpw to fix it ... it's useful to have it working, expecially when battery is low and it shuts down, having hibernatefile i won't lose anything at all like in true macs!

I would like to fix that right now, (and applehda working after resuming from sleep but right now it's much more important to fix hibernatemode here, expecially when battery is near to zero so that it can go to sleep / hibernate automatically. I noticed that when battery goes to zero, it goes to 100% and the battery indicator comes red).

So Valv,

my questions are :

1)how is your battery indicator when battery is near to zero ? Goes to 100% and becomes red for you too ? Isn't there any way to fix it?

2) Which mods do u suggest me to do to fix hibernatemode (with correct sleepimage) like in true macs? I mean, when i go to sleep i'd like to choose if i go to hibernate or just sleep, or sleep and then hibernate when battery shuts off, or even better ... when battery is low, it automatically goes to sleep or hibernate! :) it'd be a dream :)

I think they are not off-topic since they are hdx18 related...

Thanks!

Mal

@Manmal,

I don't have that strange usb thing but there is a WMware related usb reference in my IORegistryExplorer results. I am that sure if that may cause a problem.

I typed the command you suggested and only error message I found is this

* Domain: sleep

- Time: 24/06/2010 23:42:28 EEST

- Signature: Platform Failure

- UUID: C3F41D49-5B5E-40ED-ABF7-E1AC4D308DC1

- Result: Failure

Apparently, since I was able to resume the sleep (hibernation) all my sleep attempts are being reported as "Success"

Other than that, i have this message "applicationresponse.slowresponse", to my knowledge, which suggest that sleeping process takes longer than expected. In the signature line; related to this message, either I have mDNSResponder, AirPort configd plug-in or IPConfiguration.

Any idea based on this report?

Update: I found this post, which claims that this "Platform Failure - AC" error is related to RTC hack. I didn't apply that hack since I wasn't sure how to change my RTC value

By the way, Manmal, I suggest you take a look at my other post, which attempts to explain your second question. Just take a look at the quoted articles. You may find them useful in that regards.

Also there are application to chose if you want to hibernate or sleep.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1501414