[GUIDE]: The MacBookPro18 Project

valv

499 posts in this topic

Just a side note, to my knowledge, BCM43xx series is very old. I have one of those card on my previous laptop. Why don't you try to use a wireless-n compatible card?

@JBraddock: Actually, I just had that card available to me for testing the bios mod and if it was recognized as airport card by using the script. I wanted to run the test before ordering the card form ebay. I'll be ordering BCM94322MC full mini pci-e card soon for airport feature in my MBP16.

@Valv: the wireless rf button is of no use, since I wont be switching off my wifi. I hardly use the button anyway. I'll be taping the pin20 on the card once I get it.Thanx for pointing out the rf wireless button problem with this mod.

Cheers:)

@JBraddock: Actually, I just had that card available to me for testing the bios mod and if it was recognized as airport card by using the script. I wanted to run the test before ordering the card form ebay. I'll be ordering BCM94322MC full mini pci-e card soon for airport feature in my MBP16.

@Valv: the wireless rf button is of no use, since I wont be switching off my wifi. I hardly use the button anyway. I'll be taping the pin20 on the card once I get it.Thanx for pointing out the rf wireless button problem with this mod.

Do we definitely need that hack? I ordered HP Atheros AR9280 but my God, this whole shipping process turned out to be a mess for me (: It's been one month and then xmass...

@hbk_007, did you follow other posts in AnVaL topic about SMbios etc. Do you want me to provide you with mine?

@Valv, Thanks for the work again.

BTW, could you please share the mark-i version you are using?

@Valv, Thanks for the work again.

BTW, could you please share the mark-i version you are using?

glad it pleased u.

mark_i.zipI hope things get soon fixed with the shipping problem.

Do we definitely need that hack? I ordered HP Atheros AR9280 but my God, this whole shipping process turned out to be a mess for me (: It's been one month and then xmass... @hbk_007, did you follow other posts in AnVaL topic about SMbios etc. Do you want me to provide you with mine? @Valv, Thanks for the work again. BTW, could you please share the mark-i version you are using?

Hi,Sorry for providing this info, but to my knowledge, Atheros cards work only in 32-bit kernel mode, the driver is not yet available for x64. Please correct me if I am wrong. All the new MBPs, iMacs are being shipped with BCM94322MC and they work in 64-bit. This is the reason I am thinking of ordering BCM94322MC. If you dont want the 104 error, then I suggest the flashing method. I had no problems flashing. It was as smooth as butter. Regarding the smbios, I am not aware AnVal's post. Could you please give me a link to it, and provide me your smbios.plist file too.

Hi,Sorry for providing this info, but to my knowledge, Atheros cards work only in 32-bit kernel mode, the driver is not yet available for x64. Please correct me if I am wrong. All the new MBPs, iMacs are being shipped with BCM94322MC and they work in 64-bit. This is the reason I am thinking of ordering BCM94322MC. If you dont want the 104 error, then I suggest the flashing method. I had no problems flashing. It was as smooth as butter. Regarding the smbios, I am not aware AnVal's post. Could you please give me a link to it, and provide me your smbios.plist file too.

You are probably right. I remember reading such things on the forum but it may have changed after 10.6.5. I ordered that card because it has an HP sub-system id, which in theory doesn't require a bios flash. Secondly, there are some HDX models that have these card.

I noticed that some HP laptops have also BCM94322MC and already found a guy selling this card on Ebay. So now my options are to 1) Try Atheros card without bios flash 2) Try that card with bios flash 3) To buy the one you suggested. We'll see. When are you getting yours?

Here is the current SMbios and Boot.plist. You could take a look at this post and the ones it will lead you to. On contrary to Valv, with the recent version of AnVaL's power generation feature I have to use MacbookPro5,5. My CPU is P8400.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>06/15/09</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP55.88Z.00AC.B03.0906151708</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>
<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
<key>SMboardversion</key>
<string>Not Specified</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F2268AC8</string>
<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>266</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBook Pro</string>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
<string>2261</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Computer Inc.</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>800</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro5,5</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

You will need to change the themes option to the one you use.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,1)</string>
<key>EHCIacquire</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>EnableC6State</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>FixFSB</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>ForceHPET</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x1024x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>/mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Rescan</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Rescan Prompt</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
<key>SMBIOSdefaults</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Scan Single Drive</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>SystemType</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>SnowKitty</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UpdateACPI</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseMemDetect</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Wait</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>minVolt</key>
<string>850</string>
<key>oemAPIC</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>oemASFT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>oemDMAR</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>oemHPET</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>oemMCFG</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

@JBraddock:

I am not so sure about atheros' 64 bit support after 10.6.5. I dont want to take risk ordering the card and not having support in 64bit mode. I will be buying the same HP BCM94322MC card you have referred.

@Valv, @JBraddock:

I am not sure, if this is the right place to ask question about the native resolution while booting, but since its related to HDX, I suppose it not a problem.

How do i get native 1920x1080 res in the bootloader? I have GT 130M, and the video res options only shows 1280x720 as max resolution supported. I have read that many people are getting native resolution while booting, and it really looks nice having native res. I hope its possible. Can you please suggest me the solution, if one exists.

I tried AnVaL's ACPI loader, and while booting the bootloader only shows up in half of the screen, squeezed. The rest of the screen shows static noise, as seen in the tv, but in colour. It looked very bad. So I switched back chameleon RC5. What am I doing wrong here?

One more thing, if you guys dont mind, how do I add go about adding GT 130M settings in the DSDT, coz here only 9600M GT is referred. In my current DSDT, 9600M GT settings are loaded. Further, I cannot change the brightness of the screen from the keyboard. :(

I patched my DSDT using DSDT Autopatcher. I am attaching the extracted DSDT and the one I am currently using. If its convenient with you guys, please suggest the changes needed in it.

Can you also guide me to a post or some other solution for SSDT? I see you have got C-states n P-states using SSDT, in your signature.

dsdt.zip

@JBraddock:

I am not so sure about atheros' 64 bit support after 10.6.5. I dont want to take risk ordering the card and not having support in 64bit mode. I will be buying the same HP BCM94322MC card you have referred.

Yes, you should definitely buy that card. I may buy one in the future if it is proved to be more reliable.

@Valv, @JBraddock:

I am not sure, if this is the right place to ask question about the native resolution while booting, but since its related to HDX, I suppose it not a problem.

How do i get native 1920x1080 res in the bootloader? I have GT 130M, and the video res options only shows 1280x720 as max resolution supported. I have read that many people are getting native resolution while booting, and it really looks nice having native res. I hope its possible. Can you please suggest me the solution, if one exists.

I tried AnVaL's ACPI loader, and while booting the bootloader only shows up in half of the screen, squeezed. The rest of the screen shows static noise, as seen in the tv, but in colour. It looked very bad. So I switched back chameleon RC5. What am I doing wrong here?

I asked the same question to Valv before and he told me that it is something to do with Vesa mode, which apparently doesn't support such resolution. Prior to RC5, I was able to set my resolution to 1920x1080 and use a theme designed for this resolution. Now, it is a bit weird. Time Out screen and actual Chameleon menu overlap.

With AnVaL make sure you the following key. Do not set it to higher resolution!

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x1024x32</string>

One more thing, if you guys dont mind, how do I add go about adding GT 130M settings in the DSDT, coz here only 9600M GT is referred. In my current DSDT, 9600M GT settings are loaded. Further, I cannot change the brightness of the screen from the keyboard. :D

Without that DSDT code, did you try to use Graphic Enabler option of Chamaleon?

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

And also, brightness control is not working for us. It requires further steps.

Regarding the DSDT modification for your card, I think you need to dump your NVCAP values but I don't know how.

Can you also guide me to a post or some other solution for SSDT? I see you have got C-states n P-states using SSDT, in your signature.

If you use the AnVaL and the boot.plist that I provide you with you will not need SSDT method. I forgot to update my signature. It is obsolete.

Please refer to AnVaL topic and take a look at the most recent pages. You will find me having asked stupid questions (:

Try that and then update us with the temp values, use MsrTools, which you can find it in the first page of AnVaL's topic, and GeekBench score.

I'll take a look your DSDT.

@Valv, I'll try to dump my audio codec with that driver. I'll let you know.

Hi guyz,

have you got auto-sleep working using pm options under sys pref ? It ignores the time i set in power management options in both battery and ac settings. I guess it's due to AppleACPI Battery, since voodoo did work for me.

Thanks!

Mal

Hi guyz,

have you got auto-sleep working using pm options under sys pref ? It ignores the time i set in power management options in both battery and ac settings. I guess it's due to AppleACPI Battery, since voodoo did work for me.

Thanks!

Mal

I don't think it is only related to the kext you mentioned. I have yet to see a hackintosh which has auto-sleep working without any additional hack. Did you take a look at this topic, which is quite active lately.

regarding AR928x .. fun card to get working.. regdomain and country code fun! i had to use RCU.exe from tamosoft to change to 0x0 to get it to work.

best bet is use broadcom bcm9432x.

ive had kps from voodoohda and i ended up dloading the pkg installer 2.72 at googlecode and that works fine.

seems the 10.6.x doesnt like my WLL4080.

but the AR928x device id 2a works when it wants to. (snow only card)

hi,

thanks for your reply. You are so kind, as usual!!

Unfortunately i don't like too much to have a script doing the same that internal function should do. I had it working on my dv8 before using appeacpibattery(using voodoobattery, with a lot of other probs though)!

Btw... Do you (or anyone else) know the perl script to patch our idt audio codec? I am doing some experiments to have it fully working after sleep: I guess it seems to be related to "_wak" function in dsdt ...

Mal

I don't think it is only related to the kext you mentioned. I have yet to see a hackintosh which has auto-sleep working without any additional hack. Did you take a look at this topic, which is quite active lately.

Yes, it's working again here too... it was because i was messing with some kexts and with dsdts ... now it seems fixed.

Do you know the perl script to patch AppleHDA ? I think it's this one ... correct me if i am wrong :

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x84\x19\xD4\x11|\xB2\x76\x1D\x11|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

I think i will need a proper Legacy pin configuration kext tho ... the JBRadDock one doesn't work for me..

Mal

sleep is working for me.

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x84\x19\xD4\x11|\xB2\x76\x1D\x11|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

With this command you will get nothing more than bin patched AppleHDA file.

All it does is replace the 4 first hex numbers with the last 4.

Just like if u opened the file in a hex editor and used find & replace.

For your device to actually work, yes, you will need more than bin patching the file.

Hi,

i will update you on my sleep problem. Sometimes my system doesn't go to sleep correctly, expecially when something is connected through while sleeping or awaking ... is it normal ?

@valv

is there anything i can read for patching applehda correctly ? Do i need to patch something else ? Or should i need just the legacyhda audio that i need to prepare for our codec ?

Thanks!

Mal

EDIT : i confirm my problems with sleep, but only when something is connected through usb before sleeping (it crashes my system). Also i have some problems (not only in this laptop, but in almost everything i have) if a powersource differs before sleep and after awaking from sleep(ie: battery-ac before-after or ac-battery before-after).

OMG! I knew it would work :) I was right in my assumption.

post-562417-1295565928_thumb.png

It worked without a bios hack. Bare in mind that the wifi card I am using right now has an HP subsystem id. Previously, I tried the same card with a Toshiba subsystem id but it was failed to pass the bios.

post-562417-1295565937_thumb.png

Things I noticed.

- Locale and Country Code is misconfigured. I need to check Andy's hack to see if I can override those values.

- I can't use Airport Utility or Menu Bar icon to connect to the network. They are unable to find available networks. However, menu bar icon shows the current situation of the network connected.

- I can only connect to a wifi network from Network Preferences in System Preferences.

- I didn't tape the pin 20. As of now, it seems to work. I did a restart to see if it would turn the wifi on and it did. I'll test this further.

- I am running OS X 10.6.6 in 32 Bit. I don't know if it will work in 64 Bit but System Profiler > Extensions shows that the loaded driver does support 64 Bit.

- Locale : RoW means "Rest of the world"

I'll do more test and let you know if it really works without any problem.

God, I am so happy right now :)

Edit: After renaming the network device to AirPort and restarting the OSX, I got country code set to GB. I'll see if it changes later again.

It refuses to auto connect to the network. But it remembers the password and I can manually connect to the network. So it seems that I need to find out why the Airport Utility is not working. I bet it is something to do with the sub system id and I need to add my subsystem id to somewhere in the Atheros kext. We'll see. Taping the pin 20 seems to be not needed.

Edit: Auto connect issue persists after waking up from sleep. But at least the wifi card doesn't seem to turn itself off after sleep. Once I find a way of enabling the use of Airport Utility, I'll bet this issue will also be gone.

Edit: I solved the no-wifi-after sleep issue and also now the menu bar icon shows wifi networks :D

Apparently, all I needed to do is to create a new Airport device (Will be named AirPort 2) in Network Preferences then choose Assist, which took me through to connect to a network. After that I deleted the previous AirPort device and then rename the recently created one to AirPort. Now the airport utility in the menu bar shows all connections and connects to the network automatically :D But, Airport Utility app still can't find the wifi card, which by the way I don't care as long as it works this way. Finger Crossed!

post-562417-1295574425_thumb.jpg

Software Versions:
 Menu Extra:	6.2.1 (621.1)
 configd plug-in:	6.2.3 (623.2)
 System Profiler:	6.0 (600.9)
 Network Preference:	6.2.1 (621.1)
 AirPort Utility:	5.5.2 (552.11)
 IO80211 Family:	3.1.2 (312)
 Interfaces:
en1:
 Card Type:	AirPort Extreme  (0x168C, 0x1382)
 Firmware Version:	Atheros 9280: 2.1.14.5
 Locale:	RoW
 Country Code:	GB
 Supported PHY Modes:	802.11 a/b/g/n
 Supported Channels:	1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140
 Wake On Wireless:	Supported
 [b]Status:	Connected[/b]

@JBraddock,

Congratz my friend :thumbsup_anim:

You guyz are making from this mobo the best hackbookpro ever.

Keep it up, and take care

Congratz JBraddock! :)

.. and to valv too of course for this great resource!

I hope to hear something new from you related to AnVal too ... combination of AnVal and MacBookPro18 project may become a dream that comes true :)

Mal

PS: Still fighting fixing the crash on sleep if something is connected through usb (usually i charge my iphone while laptop is sleeping... useful feature)

Congratz JBraddock! :)

.. and to valv too of course for this great resource!

I hope to hear something new from you related to AnVal too ... combination of AnVal and MacBookPro18 project may become a dream that comes true :)

Mal

PS: Still fighting fixing the crash on sleep if something is connected through usb (usually i charge my iphone while laptop is sleeping... useful feature)

Thanks Manmal :) It is working great.

To my knowledge, isn't what you mentioned above a special feature which should be supported by motherboard? My friend has a Toshiba laptop and it is specifically mentioned that you can charge your phone while the laptop is sleeping. Does HDX support such a thing?

Hi Mal, JBraddock, everybody

Mal, am pretty sure you going to love that one. I didn't try it yet, but looks promising to rest of us (also).

Hi Valv,

What is the advantage of the that kext over VoodooBattery?

I checked the DSDT code and it is exactly the same code that gsly had mentioned.

probably getting accurate time remaining.

can't say precisely until I test it out. Plus I don't have the source, so.. ;)