[GUIDE]: The MacBookPro18 Project

valv

499 posts in this topic

@suri2001,

those device-ids u've been injecting to usb2/7 don't seem to be compatible with device addresses. on the other side your original ids seem to stick correctly with those. could u post your an ioreg dump (with ioregexplorer) and the original dsdt, please. It'd help me understand what's going on there. As of battery meter not showing up, which version are u using ? and for which os ?

Oh, and thank u for your interest.

@hdx18,

this is really strange ! which model did u put on smbios.plist ? I don't think your issue is related to "energy saver" PrefPane edits, as the battery meter was showing, but would u mind looking into just to insure u didn't edit something there.

@valv

@suri2001,

those device-ids u've been injecting to usb2/7 don't seem to be compatible with device addresses. on the other side your original ids seem to stick correctly with those. could u post your an ioreg dump (with ioregexplorer) and the original dsdt, please. It'd help me understand what's going on there. As of battery meter not showing up, which version are u using ? and for which os ?

Oh, and thank u for your interest.

No, thank YOU for your interest in my problem!

attached the original dsdt without modifications and the ioregdump as requested, hope you can make sense out of it.

im using 10.6.3 and the battery icon/meter (voodoobattery or applebatterymanager dont make a diffference) in the menubar only shows correct values when booting WITHOUT dsdt. without dsdt i cant sleep though. with dsdt sleep works but the battery meter is not showing any values and states "replace/check battery". otherwise system is uptodate and works fine, except reproducable crashes when extracting larger rar archives.

it would be so so great if you could get battery indicator AND sleep working!

I tried such a long time, but clearly im just not nearly as competent as you are...

so thanks in advance!

PS: Thats what console tells me after i send the computer to sleep (screen goes blank, then wakes within a second by itself):

28.05.10 13:10:12 kernel Wake reason = USB2 USB4 USB7

28.05.10 13:10:12 kernel System Wake

28.05.10 13:10:12 kernel An Unknown USB Device (Port 2 of Hub at 0x7d000000), may have caused a wake by being connected

28.05.10 13:10:12 kernel An Unknown USB Device (Port 4 of Hub at 0xfd000000), may have caused a wake by being connected

dsdt.zip

ioregdump.zip

@hdx18,

this is really strange ! which model did u put on smbios.plist ? I don't think your issue is related to "energy saver" PrefPane edits, as the battery meter was showing, but would u mind looking into just to insure u didn't edit something there.

Effectively, it seems it's not related to the latest changes in my DSDT. I have the same problem when using older versions of DSDT, smbios.plist and com.apple.Boot.plist...

Since I modified my system a lot of times for the last 6 months, I decided to make a new and clean install of OSX with a custom boot CD (with my actual config & DSDT files).

See ya! <_<

hi suri2001,

It is by forging that we become a forger :(

sorry to say that, not only u have a buggy dsdt, but also, u were sticking with your original dsdt (or maybe u've been using it the time u saved the ioreg). I do not blame u for this one, it is manufacturer's fault not yours. even though, I doubt IBM would mess a file like this :)

in the main time try this one dsdt_suri2001.zip

btw, sorry ppl for being late at you these days (soon exam)

Greetz,

Hi valv,

oh, sorry, i thought when you wrote you wanted me to attach the original dsdt you meant the unmodded one, sorry!

unfortunately it still doesnt work (sleep i mean), but at least wake reason usb7 is gone:

30.05.10 14:43:01 kernel Wake reason = USB2

30.05.10 14:43:01 kernel System Wake

30.05.10 14:43:01 kernel An Unknown USB Device (Port 4 of Hub at 0xfd000000), may have caused a wake by being connected

30.05.10 14:43:01 kernel The USB device Option Configuration (Port 8 of Hub at 0xfd000000) may have caused a wake by being disconnected

30.05.10 14:43:09 org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA.helper[81] sleepwatcher: wakeup: voodoohdareset: 0

as far as i can understand ioreg output, Unknown USB Device (Port 4 of Hub at 0xfd000000) might be the internal cam.

the USB device Option Configuration (Port 8 of Hub at 0xfd000000) is my option 3g umts card i guess.

i saw that youve changed in the dsdt bat1 to bat0, this gives proper battery status now!, also saw you changed usb devices and added method _DSM and dtgp in usb 4 and 7, but not in usb 1-3? might this be the reason why wake reason usb7 is gone and usb2 is still there? if so, i would change it myself if id know how to...

i noticed that when going to sleep the wlan led goes off, screen goes blank but then everything comes up again.

i also tried radically deleting everything usb related in the dsdt, then it goes to sleep fine, wakes up fine, but the second time i send it to sleep all usb devices become unresponsive after the second wake up, meaning no wlan, no mouse, etc...

any ideas? thank you!!!

my fault! am totally schizophrenic these days :huh:

re-reading your previous post I understood that the problem is also usb2-related.

sorry, gonna give it another try

i thought when you wrote you wanted me to attach the original dsdt you meant the unmodded one

it's what I was asking for, but I thought I'd find your modded (actual) one elsewhere on the dump.

look if this one fixes something more dsdt_2_suri2001.zip

Hey valv, now that was a quick reply!

Thanks for looking into it further! i noticed you added the method handler for usb2 too. unfortunately it doesnt resolve anything :-(

but after testing your first dsdt, the second behaves the same, were close!

what ive found out:

with your dsdt in place i turned off (fn keys) the internal camera & bluetooth, while leaving wlan and the 3g modem on (they dont affect sleep/wake).

Result: sleep works perfect, so does wake!

Now: the broadcom bluetooth is USB Device (Port 4 of Hub at 0xfd000000) ,thats USB2 i think and thats whywake is working and no more Wake reason : USB2 when its turned off!

the USB device Option Configuration (Port 8 of Hub at 0xfd000000) is my option Globetrotter HSUPA Mod but isnt affecting sleep/wake, neither does wlan.

Unknown USB Device (Port 7 of Hub at 0xfd000000) is USB7(?) its my internal camera, another culprit that makes wake disfunctional.

so i guess it needs adding these 2 to the usb devices in dsdt somehow, am i right? like the few more addings you did in usb7, i guess...(?)

and i noticed, a plugged in mouse for instance in the external usb ports (usb1-3) leads to unresponisve usbdevices on wake as well. with the new dsdt and a mouse in usb2 i get a kernel panic.

hope that makes sense, i feel a bit like riding on a rollercoster blindfolded ;-)

thanks a lot again and in advance, valv!

I'm back! :)

New OSX Intall... But no battery icon.

Latest version of VoodooBattery.

For the rest, same config I already mentioned.

In the "Energy Saver" PrefPane, I can't check the show-battery box anymore. It also shows that the battery is 0% charged... Like if the battery is now unrecognized.

No clue why I lost it... :wacko:

EDIT: I corrected the problem. I had to change your version of VoodooBattery.kext by the one I had before. And voilà, my battery icon reappeared.

hi guyz,

@suri2001

I need more info:

which bootloader are u using

which processor ? did u tried voodoobattery w/o voodoopowermini

why r'u sticking with smbioresolver ?

have tried getting rid of openhaltrestart ?

u are using too many "exotic" kexts, that could fake dsdt editing results. I understand that u don't mind using non-vanilla (for now), but could u tell me what distribution u've been setting-up.

@hdx18,

good to see u back here (with positive setup experience), some questions:

what kexts u've been using on setup ?

have u tried booting w/o cpuinjector ? if yes, how did the cpu look like on system "about this mac/system profiler" ?

as of battery meter disappearing, did u corrected ownership and so, rebuilt cache..? last one or the one from first post ?

hi guyz,

@hdx18,

good to see u back here (with positive setup experience), some questions:

what kexts u've been using on setup ?

have u tried booting w/o cpuinjector ? if yes, how did the cpu look like on system "about this mac/system profiler" ?

as of battery meter disappearing, did u corrected ownership and so, rebuilt cache..? last one or the one from first post ?

1) Same kexts as of your first post, except I use an older VoodooBattery.kext (1.2.1) VS yours (1.3.2). Doesn't work either with the latest version (1.3.3)

2) If booting w/o cpuinjecctor = unknown cpu

3) The only manipulation has been to change VoodooBattery in /Extra/Extensions. No need to rebuilt cache.

VoodooBattery.kext.zip

1) Same kexts as of your first post, except I use an older VoodooBattery.kext (1.2.1) VS yours (1.3.2). Doesn't work either with the latest version (1.3.3)

strange, as it is totally working for me with both 1.3.2/3 on x32 & x64.

hi guyz,

@suri2001

I need more info:

which bootloader are u using

which processor ? did u tried voodoobattery w/o voodoopowermini

why r'u sticking with smbioresolver ?

have tried getting rid of openhaltrestart ?

u are using too many "exotic" kexts, that could fake dsdt editing results. I understand that u don't mind using non-vanilla (for now), but could u tell me what distribution u've been setting-up.

ok, sure, bootloader is latest chameleon.

proc is Intel 1.6GHz Atom N270.

tried w/o voodoopowermini, smbioresolver (why im sticking with this one? i dunno, i think it was installed with my distro) and openhaltrestart (shutdown w/o no longer working): Same behavior, but info shows proc speed @ 896 Mhz, so i guess it runs with only one core as youtube vids at 360p play as if they were 720p (choppy).

the result of system profiler without these kexts (if it helps) i attached at the end of this post.

the distro i use is this one:

http://s10lenovo.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3280

, but with latest atommodded kernel and of course your dsdt instead of the one for the s10. and 10.6.3 of course.

oh, i use gma overclock to 400mhz and this should be ok, but i just realized that one of my exotic kexts is legacyRTC 32 bit kext, should i delete it?

oh, btw, i turned off some extensions from 10.6.3 i deemed unnecessary but just to make sure that i didnt delete anything important i attached a list of these uninstalled extensions as well.

s12_system_profiler.zip

turned_of_extensions.zip

strange, as it is totally working for me with both 1.3.2/3 on x32 & x64.

OK. Tried lastest VoodooBattery in /S/L/E and now it works...

Did you put your kext files in /E/E or in /S/L/E???

oh, i installed a modded kext 2 weeks ago because i hoped it would fix my wake problem, should i revert to the original one? its this one:

"This package developed by bcc9 will patch your AppleACPIPlatform to allow dynamic ACPI device status to work.

This patch is designed for the Dell Studio XPS 1340. For such systems, you must apply this patch before other software such as VoodooBattery can detect the battery. This patch is also a prerequisite for working lid open/close indications.

Without this patch:

No working battery, AC power status.

System will not respond to lid open/close"

and i also added usbfix in my boot plist:

<key>Boot Banner</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GUI</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel_atom</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>UHCIreset</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>"Instant Menu"</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EHCIacquire</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>UHCIreset</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

OK. Tried lastest VoodooBattery in /S/L/E and now it works...

Did you put your kext files in /E/E or in /S/L/E???

all kexts (except voodoohda) get loaded from /E/E after building an .mkext out of 'em

Greetz,

I finally managed to get cpu detection working without CPUInjector.

Change the SMBIOSdefaults key's value to Yes on com.apple.boot.plist.

Don't forget to get rid of that kext. rebuild your caches and reboot :(

Greetz,

hi valv,

thanks for the update!

Are other fixes over ? I guess you posted all the fixes you know... they are a lot !

Or is there something else in progress?

Thanks!

Mal

PS: I would appreciate a lot a detailed ssdt and other acpt tables modification/installation procedure you did for this laptop ... and all flags explained and working for this machine... I know there's a thread for AnVal bootloader but it's not specific for this machine. Thanks again!

don't worry guys, it's not finished with this saga :(

It's just a timing problem. with exams during this week, plus AnVal's part of the cake and other things..

everything regarding acpi tables, graphics and ... will be explained/discussed. just be patient and forgive me for making u wait.

Greetz,

• 2 weeks later...

hi all,

back again, and this time with 10.6.4 updated problem-less :)

what about u guyz, did u abondoned this topic already :)

strange to see no contribs. maybe u are too busy. sorry

Greetz

hi all,

back again, and this time with 10.6.4 updated problem-less :excl:

what about u guyz, did u abondoned this topic already :)

strange to see no contribs. maybe u are too busy. sorry

Greetz

Yep! Me too, 10.6.4 updated without problem! :excl:

I hope it has also gone well with your exams! :excl:

Did you try to update the whitelist (wireless device) of your BIOS?

I look forward to seeing your new hacks and fixes! :)

Yep! Me too, 10.6.4 updated without problem! :(

I hope it has also gone well with your exams! :D

Did you try to update the whitelist (wireless device) of your BIOS?

I look forward to seeing your new hacks and fixes! :D

Thank you for asking. Yep, exam results 100%, now am an IT (Professional certification) :blink:

Regarding whilte-listing the bios, no I did not get that time for it yet, neither decided with which card I'd go.

keep tuned.

Greetz

Hi valv!

Good to see you back! I guess the reason for no more contributions to this thread is due to your Third last post thAIDSaid You're preparing for exams and you being busy.

At least for me this was the reason not to pest you whether my last posts and attachments were usefull to you to help me solving my dsdt problem.

But As You're back, ive got two questions for you now:

1. Do you Need anymore info and did my last posts help? ;-)

2. How did Your exams go?

Hope, they turned out well!

Greetz and as always thanks in advance,

Suri

UPDATE: I've read so many documents on USB problem that eventually I totally mixed them. Apparently, I was trying to add my actual device ids to DSDT, instead of the real Macbooks's, which are provided by Valv in the first page. Now I changed them with the ones in the first page and everything is ok now.

I haven't tried them yet but I think same thing is true for the SMBus and LPC hack.

@Valv, right now, I can't imagine anything else that would make me happier than seeing this topic. I cannot tell you how jealous I was when seeing dsdt-related topics for other laptops. Now, we have our own topic thanks to you. Really appreciated.

I have a HDX 16 and been using Snow Leopard (recently upgrade to the 10.6.4) (Retail) for the last seven months without a major problem. Although this guideline seems to be for HDX 18, i can confirm that almost all hacks are working for the HDX 16 since mine have the same GPU, Sound Card, Ethernet etc. There are of course some differences like USB Device IDs.

First of all,

I'd installed Chameleon RC4 and applied all the hacks by using it. Since I am unable to take a backup right now, i didn't install your bootloader as i do not know what to do in case SL doesn't boot. I noticed that some hacks are specific to your bootloader or at least require your bootloader so i'll explain the hacks that I didn't apply.

1) _T_0: I didn't apply this hack because there seems no reference to this value in my DSDT.

2) RTC - Snow CMOS Fix: I didn't apply this hack because there is a slight difference between your code and mine. As you can see below, my code doesn't have a reference to IRQNoFlags. Either you added that code to yours later and forgot to mention it alongside modifying BUF1 into BUF0 or I should add IRQNoFlags to my code. How am I supposed to modify the code below?

Device (RTC)
				{
					Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
					Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
					{
						IO (Decode16,
							0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
							0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
							0x01,			   // Alignment
							0x08,			   // Length
							)
					})
					Name (BUF1, ResourceTemplate ()
					{
						IO (Decode16,
							0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
							0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
							0x01,			   // Alignment
							0x08,			   // Length
							)
					})
					Method (_CRS, 0, Serialized)
					{
						If (LEqual (HPTS, One))
						{
							Return (BUF0)
						}
						Else
						{
							Return (BUF1)
						}
					}
				}

3) Low Pin Count - ala: My device id is identical to you. So the same hack should work for me.

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller [8086:2919] (rev 03)

However, in order to apply speed-step related hacks, i think i have to remove Nullpowermanagement.kext first. But as i said early, i don't have an another bootable hard drive and i don't know how I can boot into SL if removing Nullpowermanagement.kext gives me KP and doesn't allow me to boot even in safe mode. (Better safe than sorry, right)

Besides, can this hack work with Chameleon RC4?

4) SMBus: I did't apply this hack for the above-mentioned reasons. (Nullpowermanagement and Chameleon RC4). My device id is as follows:

(Code removed)

So the modified code for me should be like this i guess. Device ids are colorised (I guess color option doesn't work, sorry)

Is this code ok? Do i need to change anything else.

5) USB, aka. Sleep Actually, I couldn't apply these hacks. I did the first two steps. i only patched UHC0 and rebooted SL but it is still recognised as an expension slot so I thought I did something wrong. Besides, I didn't figure out wheere to paste the code for the following devices as it kept giving me errors. I would really appreciate if you could look into my DSDT file attached to the this topic alongside with my ISPCI file.

The following devices are recognised as Built-in out of the box. The first one is Web cam and Tv Turner. The second one is the usb device on the right-top corner. The rest of the USB devices are recognised as expansion slots.

(Code removed)

Summary

-Ethernet (I added builtinethernet=yes to my boot.plist file), Firewire, GPU (9600M GT DDR2, just add GraphicsEnabler=y to your boot.plist.) are working and recognised as PCI Cards.

- Faster boot time

- My audio information got disappear under System Profiler. Now, I only have Audio ID= 12. However, now, I have HDMI / DisplayPort Output appeared under the Audio tab. I will mention my audio solution below. i am not using VoodooHDA, I always had problems with volume control etc.

- Around 4 degree cooler (47-51) than before. (Please note that i haven't applied vanilla speed-step hacks yet.) I may be wrong but I guess the fan starts to spin earlier. I will test this.

@Valv May I ask you why don't you use vanilla audio solution. I am using AppleHDA extracted from SL 10.6.2 (later versions don't work) alongside a LegacyAppleHDA and HDEF patch to DSDT. There is a little problem with volume control from menu bar but other than that it works great without an error message. Please let me know if you decide to patch audio via DSDT so I can upload the files I am using.

Suggestions:

- Could you change the title of the topic and make it more definitive, which will include HDX 18, HDX 16, DSDT Patches and vanilla-running Snow Leopard.

- It may only be a case for me, but when looking at the six step, I noticed that the line 820 is Name (BCL2, Package (0x0D) in my DSDT. It does not start with BCL1 but the line 806 does. If there is a mistake in this step, it may cause a confusion for some.

- Could you also make it clearer that newly modified DSDT file can be tested without replacing the original one by typing DSDT=/path to the modified DSDT/dsdt.aml to Chameleon Menu.

I applied all Return (Zero) hacks but still, I have four warnings left. Could you also look into these please. I uploaded my modified DSDT file alongside with the ISPCI file. I would really appreciate if you help me solve the USB related problems as well.

DSDT_ISPCI.zip