New easy installation software for the mass

fassn

16 posts in this topic

Hello, I'll try here to explain my idea easily which I was thinking about all over the day. Excuse me for my english grammar, but it is not my first language. AND I HOPE THIS PROJECT HAS NOT ALREADY BEGUN!! :(:D:D

First of all, I'm a french 22 years old student who has just steped into hackint0sh's world 3 days ago. I managed, after 2 hard nights and 3 days, to make my installation to work. I am really excited by all this and hope that this enthusiasm isn't just a passage, and that I will keep in my mind my project for the community.

This idea came from the fact of the idea I went through managing my installation to work. I think I've never had so much trouble and spent so much time in my computer's life before getting something working.

I know that hackint0sh is a global work in progress project, that every new mother board released will bring with it his own package of problems and specificities but I was thinking, and I guess that lots of people have thought of a same idea before me, of a program or at least a giant database to explain which file every PC configuration needs to make an hackint0sh installation works.

You may say "there is OSx86 project wiki page". Yes, but no. :D

It's allready an amazing work that has been done here, but with not enough precisions in my sense. I mean, I've found there really useful informations about my components but it never exactly told my what files to install to make my OSX installation up.

The idea is to make a unique software using all the amount of informations scattered all around the forum(s) (and I know that practically every question can be answered by reading a lot over the different forums about OSX project). This software would contain every single file (except of the distro or retail releases that are illegal I guess) that an user may need to make it work on his machine and by answering by simple questions about his components during the installation, the software would give him exactly the files he needs.

After this, different tutorials would explain how to install each type of files or applications (kernels, kexts, EFi emulations...) and I know it would not take that long because these tutorials already exist! (only they are scattered everywhere)

What I propose here, because I can't code anything (I just don't know anything about it), is to gather an huge amount of informations about the files needed for each PC configuration, and then use it to create someting easy to the mass.

First, we'd need to gather all the possible files ever needed to make it work. Rammjet has started this job here.

Then, it would be nice to create a dynamic (something like this) list with all possibles configurations accessible to all forumers and OSX86 users to tell us which configuration they have and which file they used to make it work.

I can handle the results and something clear of which files are needed for each PC.

Is that clear? :D

Is that idea a complete non-sense? :D

Is that idea has already started somewhere (and in that case, I'm really sorry having written all this {censored} xD ) but after 3 days reading I don't think I would have missed it. ^^

I know it would be an amazing work but it would be soooooooooooooooooo helpful and avoid new users to spend their nights on it.

Thanks for reading!

I also would be happy if we can collect all that stuff (gold + silver only :blush: ) which can found around all the subforums here.

Its near impossible to find again some things like dsdt because there are so many postings, for example : >50 pages in one thread "DSDT fixes for gigabyte mainboards " = happy reading / Searching ;)

So an summary (flashlight ) to main things most of us need in ONE PLACE would be fine

Really good site !

Maybe if no new (insane forum own) summary can be build, even an page here, where all such helpfull sites are listed would be better than now.

We have that tutorial forum with lots of "HOW TO ON Gigabyte EP45...." but you will find 10 of them , mostly with complete different hints , dsdt files, kexts - on same mainboard ! I know that all streets will end in rom(italy), but perhaps some / the best theards would be better sticky that they they on top to avoid to much searching.

Sure, fassls idee would be even better, but will take more work.

I am glad that my idea is not useless. ^^

The first step I talked about about gathering all informations can start now. I propose to write really precise posts so I won't get lost when I'll treat all the informations. I propose something like : (and sure help me if I forgot something=)

Configuration :

motherboard :

motherboard settings in bios :

processor :

graphic card :

hard drive : sata or ide

DVD : sata or ide

Files used :

bios :

MAC OS installation : retail or distro ; which version, etc.

kind of MAC OS installation : DVD or USB...

bootloader : PC_EFI or chameleon ; which release...

kernel :

kext(s) :

-sound :

-graphics :

-LAN :

-other :

The second step would be to making an unique way to install MacOS for each configuration, I think I can handle it if lots of people send me the infos I wrote up.

The third step is to upload missing files (outdated most of the cases) for example I had trouble finding my bios. So if users still have them on their computers, it would be greatly appreciated to share them.

In my case :

Configuration :

motherboard : P5QC

processor : Q9550

graphic card : Asus EN9600GT

hard drive : sata

DVD : sata

Files used :

bios : 2002 SLIC by juzzi

MAC OS installation : retail Snow Leopard 10.6

kind of MAC OS installation : USB

bootloader : Chameleon RC_4

other : KextHelper ; OSX86Tools

kernel : Vanilla already on Retail Snow leopard

kext(s) :

-sound : ALC_1200 for Snow Leopard 10.6 ; HDA_Enabler

-graphics : NV_kush already on Retail Snow leopard

-LAN : AttansicL1eEthernet

-other : /

See useful files in attachment.

Archive.zip

sound.zip

I am glad that my idea is not useless. ^^

The first step I talked about about gathering all informations can start now. I propose to write really precise posts so I won't get lost when I'll treat all the informations. I propose something like : (and sure help me if I forgot something=)

Configuration :

motherboard :

processor :

graphic card :

hard drive : sata or ide

DVD : sata or ide

Files used :

bios :

MAC OS installation : retail or distro ; which version, etc.

kind of MAC OS installation : DVD or USB...

bootloader : PC_EFI or chameleon ; which release...

kernel :

kext(s) :

-sound :

-graphics :

-LAN :

-other :

The second step would be to making an unique way to install MacOS for each configuration, I think I can handle it if lots of people send me the infos I wrote up.

The third step is to upload missing files (outdated most of the cases) for example I had trouble finding my bios. So if users still have them on their computers, it would be greatly appreciated to share them.

In my case :

Configuration :

motherboard : P5QC

processor : Q9550

graphic card : Asus EN9600GT

hard drive : sata

DVD : sata

Files used :

bios : 2002 SLIC by juzzi

MAC OS installation : retail Snow Leopard 10.6

kind of MAC OS installation : USB

bootloader : Chameleon RC_4

other : KextHelper ; OSX86Tools

kernel : Vanilla already on Retail Snow leopard

kext(s) :

-sound : ALC_1200 for Snow Leopard 10.6 ; HDA_Enabler

-graphics : NV_kush already on Retail Snow leopard

-LAN : AttansicL1eEthernet

-other : /

See useful files in attachment.

Do you plan including a way how to install snow leopard? I mean ok with some kexts or drivers.

But in your case you installed it retail . How did you create your usb install? What kexts did you put in ? I know these can be answered elsewhere in this forum but do you intend to do that also?

(Sorry for my english )

Btw really nice idea! :rolleyes:

This may not be the right place to ask, but where snow leopard was brought up, is there a single install disc that can be found? All the usual searches for OSX86 only are Leopard. From what I've been reading there seem to be plenty of ways to upgrade from leopard to snowleopard by installing and then modifying them, but is there not just a regular install disc like there has been with prior OSX releases?

If so please let me know a keyword to search for so I can find one.

Thanks!!

The idea was good every time it was presented.

Problems are:

- doing a interface (thread posts are not enough - somebody needs to input those into a nvidia driver-like interface, that's kind of impossible for all posts) cool enough to make this process worth the time to insert something - plus it should be flexible enough to support different install strategies / kext / dsdt support over the same piece of equipment;

- convince about half a million people (~no. of users of insanelymac) to do some modifications (i suspect 100 of them (devs) are enough though) to this interface;

- convince Apple not to shut down the site once this is done.

Good luck ;)

P.S. i'll repeat something that's been said again and again... a (new) user should search and understand the process through which one makes a "grey box" apple worthy (Apple does not really support them, can't really call them when u break your install on a simple update) - this will avoid them from doing stupid mistakes and keep the post-installation subforum under control (i'm guessing none of the real devs watches that forum)

I have worked on something that might help on this idea. It's a database of kexts, vendors and devices. You can take a look at it here

http://outlawcowboy.org/kexts/

I posted it on the forum some time ago, but it wasn't very welcome, the topic was deleted.

This script scans a system hardware and generates a file with information to be added to the database, which would work like a Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)

http://outlawcowboy.org/kexts/SystemInfo.zip

There is also a script that scans a folder with kexts and generates the queries to be added to the database.

If you think this may be useful I will be glad to contribute with what has been done.

Regards.

This is not the first time I have heard an idea like this, and I think it would be an amazing project. Only recently in my 10.6 thread, I had a discussion with uketernity about something similar which ended up with me sending a PM to a moderator here asking if they could and would allow hosting of a PHP driven web app on their servers. I received an answer along the lines of a good idea and they will look in to it.

I have worked on something that might help on this idea. It's a database of kexts, vendors and devices. You can take a look at it here

http://outlawcowboy.org/kexts/

I posted it on the forum some time ago, but it wasn't very welcome, the topic was deleted.

What you have done here is an interesting start to something greater. I don't know why it would have been deleted.

All in all, this idea is not going away in a hurry and something, somewhere is going to take shape sometime...

sorry to ask again, but is that a no on there being any snow leopard install disc for x86 hardware? I've been looking for a while to find one, and was hoping if there were any out there that someone could help me with a keyword to search for as I haven't found any snow leopard installs for searches like: OSX86, iAtkos, etc...

sorry to ask again, but is that a no on there being any snow leopard install disc for x86 hardware? I've been looking for a while to find one, and was hoping if there were any out there that someone could help me with a keyword to search for as I haven't found any snow leopard installs for searches like: OSX86, iAtkos, etc...

Search on google about "leo hazard" . There has been made a pretty nice snow leopard dvd.

There is also a forum which can help you.

Thank you. I think I found something good, and will give it a go. It is a 10.6.1-10.6.2 release. It should finish tonight, and I'll try over the weekend when the fun is always which options will work and new drivers to find. :-)

Thank you for the tip.