Dell 1545 Snow Leopard Retail/boot132 Install

doriean

426 posts in this topic

Dear Dorean, I've done everything and Ican only access SL with the boot cd. I installed C2RC3 five times and every one i must restart with the power button :):thumbsup_anim: . Any ideas??? Can I try with a different boot loader like empire efi?? :)

Help will be apreciated!!!! Thanks for the tuto. :) Mipf06

make sure you are installing the bootloader from the CD and not from the flash drive you might've used to install the kexts...I had the same problem over and over again and by installing the bootloader in the Boot132 disc, I was able to fix the issue. Hope it works! :)

I Think Empire Efi Is A Great Boot Cd Has Everything You Need Plus More, Give It A Try It Should Work Just Fine

Dear Dorean, I finally used Empire Efi v10.8. It works fine!!!!. :D When I reboot, I had SL but.... I don´t have wifi nor keyboard :D . I was able to install wifi :) but no keyboard not even trackpad :D .

Do you know how can i solve it? :D

I´ve already installed the kexts that were in the extension folder. Any suggestion???

I hope you can help me.

Sincerely, Mipf06

Dear Dorean, I finally used Empire Efi v10.8. It works fine!!!!. :) When I reboot, I had SL but.... I don´t have wifi nor keyboard ;) . I was able to install wifi :) but no keyboard not even trackpad -_- .

Do you know how can i solve it? :(

I´ve already installed the kexts that were in the extension folder. Any suggestion???

I hope you can help me.

Sincerely, Mipf06

Im Glad You Got Almost Everything Working

As Far As Keyboard And Trackpad Goes I Would Try Voodoops2, Just Do A Google Search For Voodoops2 And Download It Then Use Kext Utility To Install It Restart Your Sytem And There You Go.

Hope Everything Works Out.

Hi to all, I've patched Chameleon 2 RC4 to integrate 915resolution patch. So, you don't need IntelGMAX3100, IntelGMAX3100FB, and dsdt patching.

This makes possible to run the kernel in 64bit mode and preserve the 1336x768 native resolution, unlike the previous methods, which use modules compiled for 32bit 10.5 kernels. 

Here is the patched bootloader, only replace "boot" in the root of your leo filesystem:

http://www.divshare.com/download/10308873-45f

And here's the reference article:

http://deviato.wordpress.com/2010/01/28/ch...r-snow-leopard/

Hi to all, I've patched Chameleon 2 RC4 to integrate 915resolution patch. So, you don't need IntelGMAX3100, IntelGMAX3100FB, and dsdt patching.

This makes possible to run the kernel in 64bit mode and preserve the 1336x768 native resolution, unlike the previous methods, which use modules compiled for 32bit 10.5 kernels.

Here is the patched bootloader, only replace "boot" in the root of your leo filesystem:

http://www.divshare.com/download/10308873-45f

And here's the reference article:

http://deviato.wordpress.com/2010/01/28/ch...r-snow-leopard/

Wow This Is Huge, Thanks So Much To Deviato, For All Your Hard Work.

I Have Not Tested This Yet, But considering the source, I Would Think It Works Perfect.

Will Try It Out As Soon As I Get Home From Work.

For Full Support On This I Reccomend Placing All Questions To Deviato's Web Site Untill

I Can Test This Out.

Im Glad You Got Almost Everything Working

As Far As Keyboard And Trackpad Goes I Would Try Voodoops2, Just Do A Google Search For Voodoops2 And Download It Then Use Kext Utility To Install It Restart Your Sytem And There You Go.

Hope Everything Works

I solved it!!! :D Thanks! Now everything works fine. Voodoo PS2 controller -0.98 installer. Hope it helps. Mipf06

This is fantastic. This also fixed a problem that I had where the OS didn't accurately notice when I switched from battery to adapter and vice versa. I imagine that was because of the dsdt.aml.

Here are the steps that I used:

1) Copied the 'boot' file from the zipfile into the root directory (cd ~/Downloads/chameleondell/ && sudo cp boot /boot)

2) Removed the dsdt.aml files (sudo rm /dsdt.aml && sudo rm /Extras/dsdt.aml)

3) Removed the appleintelgmax3100fb.kext (sudo rm -vr /System/Library/Extensions/appleintelgmax3100fb.kext)

4) Opened Kext Helper and checked 'advanced' then 'tag cache rebuild' then 'run ->'

5) Edited /Extras/com.apple.Boot.plist and changed '<string>1280x800x32</string>' to '<string>1366x768x32</string>'

then I rebooted and had 1366x768 resolution plus the battery status applet in the menu bar showed the correct power state and changes accordingly when I unplug and plug in the power adapter.

Big thanks to Doriean and Deviato!

Sorry I do not mean to Hijack your thread, but for some reason I cannot create a new topic... Anyways does anyone here know how to or if I can install this on a Dell Studio 1555???

Thanks for any help possible. If someone can make a new topic it would probably be best to make one. Thanks in advance.

This is fantastic. This also fixed a problem that I had where the OS didn't accurately notice when I switched from battery to adapter and vice versa. I imagine that was because of the dsdt.aml.

Here are the steps that I used:

1) Copied the 'boot' file from the zipfile into the root directory (cd ~/Downloads/chameleondell/ && sudo cp boot /boot)

2) Removed the dsdt.aml files (sudo rm /dsdt.aml && sudo rm /Extras/dsdt.aml)

3) Removed the appleintelgmax3100fb.kext (sudo rm -vr /System/Library/Extensions/appleintelgmax3100fb.kext)

4) Opened Kext Helper and checked 'advanced' then 'tag cache rebuild' then 'run ->'

5) Edited /Extras/com.apple.Boot.plist and changed '<string>1280x800x32</string>' to '<string>1366x768x32</string>'

then I rebooted and had 1366x768 resolution plus the battery status applet in the menu bar showed the correct power state and changes accordingly when I unplug and plug in the power adapter.

Big thanks to Doriean and Deviato!

This is so amazing!!! Works much better than the other, and all the colors are correct, battery meter working correctly. One note on this, if your having a problem changing the com.apple.Boot.plist '<string>1280x800x32</string>' to '<string>1366x768x32</string> because you dont have permission or such, then download http://smultron.sourceforge.net/, open smultron, find the com.apple.Boot.plist, open it, change it to the <string>1366x768x32</string> and save, and then restart, you will see a difference in everything, starting at the chameleon boot loader. Good Luck!!!

This is so amazing!!! Works much better than the other, and all the colors are correct, battery meter working correctly. One note on this, if your having a problem changing the com.apple.Boot.plist '<string>1280x800x32</string>' to '<string>1366x768x32</string> because you dont have permission or such, then download http://smultron.sourceforge.net/, open smultron, find the com.apple.Boot.plist, open it, change it to the <string>1366x768x32</string> and save, and then restart, you will see a difference in everything, starting at the chameleon boot loader. Good Luck!!!

The permissions issue is because you as non-root user do not have write permissions to the /Extra directory. All you need to do is open it for editing using sudo. No need to install anything extra, unless you want to. Here is how I did it:

$ sudo vim /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

If you don't like vim use pico, /Applications/TextEdit.app/contents/MacOS/TextEdit, emacs, or whatever text editor you like.

This is great, but I'd change back to a kernel module in a minute if they get one with QE/CI working!

Again, proper thanks to Doriean and Deviato!

...me too!

I also want to advise you that I made another build of the same bootloader.

Now it should support more intel chipsets: G31, G41 and G45.

Here's the file:

http://www.multiupload.com/77ZLMCTXV5

Wow This Just Keeps Getting Better And Better....

Your A God Amongst Men..

Great Job Keep The Support Coming...

And For All Thoes Who Dont Know Please Check Out Deviato's Webpage Here...

http://deviato.wordpress.com/

Another Huge Fix Thanks To Deviato...

And now it's the turn of the sound card..

The VoodoHDA module supplied in this post is compiled for 32bit only.. Always the same problem, I want 64bit. Searching other forums, I've found a pre-VoodooHDA 0.2.53 compiled for 64bit, another one that begins to support the volume control, but still far from what I need. So, I tried with AppleHDA Patching, and after having no luck with HDAEnabler or HDEFInject, I've compiled a dsdt.aml + a modified AppleHDA (taken from another forum).

Now I got 64bit support, volume control and internal mic working!

Here it is: http://www.multiupload.com/LJY5L9UKD9

-Please delete or backup all other audio modules from /System/Library/Extensione (AppleHDA.kext, VoodooHDA.kext, VoodooHDAHelper, HDAEnabler.kext, HDEFEnabler.kext, LegacyAppleHDA.kext) before installing this one.

This is most excellent Deviato. Just installed- without a hitch. It is a bonus to be able to use the keyboard volume controls (f7-f9) instead of the voodoo prefpane which wouldn't remember the settings from session to session. Awesome. Much thanks!

64-bit question. I of course have the Dell Inspiron 1545 with the GMA4500. I am a little confused about my kernel. I assumed that since my machine reports that I have 4G of ram that I am running a 64-bit kernel. When I look in the System Profiler all of the extensions are 64-bit except for five that report being located within /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/plugins:

BSDKernel6.0

IOKit6.0

Libkern6.0

Mach6.0

System6.0

However, when I did a 'uname -a' this is what was reported, which makes me believe that I am running a 32-bit Kernel. Is that so, or am I misreading something?

uname -a

Darwin James-Halls-MacBook-Pro.local 10.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0: Tue Nov 3 10:37:10 PST 2009; root:xnu-1486.2.11~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

This is most excellent Deviato. Just installed- without a hitch. It is a bonus to be able to use the keyboard volume controls (f7-f9) instead of the voodoo prefpane which wouldn't remember the settings from session to session. Awesome. Much thanks!

64-bit question. I of course have the Dell Inspiron 1545 with the GMA4500. I am a little confused about my kernel. I assumed that since my machine reports that I have 4G of ram that I am running a 64-bit kernel. When I look in the System Profiler all of the extensions are 64-bit except for five that report being located within /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/plugins:

BSDKernel6.0

IOKit6.0

Libkern6.0

Mach6.0

System6.0

However, when I did a 'uname -a' this is what was reported, which makes me believe that I am running a 32-bit Kernel. Is that so, or am I misreading something?

uname -a

Darwin James-Halls-MacBook-Pro.local 10.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0: Tue Nov 3 10:37:10 PST 2009; root:xnu-1486.2.11~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Yes, you are running in 32bit. On my notebook 'uname -a' gives ..../RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Also, all the extensions are 64-bit.

Try to see in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

and in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

If you have arch=i386 kernel flag, delete it.

So right now im trying to figure out a way if i can close my laptop without it wanting to go to sleep, just so i can carry it from one place to another, and turn the screen off when just charging... Let me know, that would be great.

Why, were you able to get the sleep function? On mine i disabled all sleep functions, because they make the system stall. Go to System Preferences->Energy Saver and put "Never" to Computer sleep and Display sleep, uncheck "Put the hard disk.." and "Allow power button..". Do this for both "Battery" and "Power Adapter" profiles.

Yes, you are running in 32bit. On my notebook 'uname -a' gives ..../RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Why, were you able to get the sleep function? On mine i disabled all sleep functions, because they make the system stall. Go to System Preferences->Energy Saver and put "Never" to Computer sleep and Display sleep, uncheck "Put the hard disk.." and "Allow power button..". Do this for both "Battery" and "Power Adapter" profiles.

I Agree Thats Exactly What I Did, Until Someone Can Design A Kext For It That Will Work With Our

Systems......

Thanks. Removed the arch=i386 string and the x86_64 kernel booted but I got a Kernel panic. Best info I can give is:

Kernel extensions in backtrace

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily

com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily

I was able to boot using the "arch=i386" boot flag. I'll google around some tomorrow and if I find anything that resolves this issue I will post it.

Thanks again.

Hi, i have installed snow lep. on my dell 1545. but it sees all the kext as folders, and if i do not boot in to it from the Sl boot cd my keyboard and mouse do not work. is there any thing i can do?

Thanks,

Dan

You Can Fix it by running Cocktail and having it Rebuild Launch Services and Repair File Associations. Just Download it and run it, voila!

And As Far As Your Keyboard And Mouse Download Voodoops2 Kext And Kext Utility That Should Fix Your Keyboard And Mouse Problems So No More Having To Boot From The Cd

Hope This Helps......