DSDT fixes for Gigabyte boards

iSoprano

1,909 posts in this topic

After long months of dsdt checking for no sleep problem i found the reason.

DSDT was OK !!!!

Sleepenabled didnt help.

AppleIntelCPUPower.kext wasnt used / loaded (i used voodoomini) was the key !!

Without that (AICP kext) loaded sleep simple NOT WORKING - even if sleepenabler.kext is used.

I remember having a similar quest for sleep when I used 10.5.7. It was a great feeling to have it sorted.

Well done to have finally completed your quest :(

Thanks MasterChief and irrational John,

So would you assume that since my PIC/IPIC has an alignment parameter of "1" (which is from my "stock" DSDT as obtained from Linux) that for the Master Controller Edge/Level Triggered Register section I should also use "1" for the alignment parameter? And if I did and it was wrong how would I know/what would be the result/symptom?...

I wouldn't assume anything because that can end up in misery. However, using 1 is the more logical one to use. It's like irrational John said in post #674; zero times something is still zero, and therefor not the most logical thing to use. I applied the changes for my own DSDT but it is just another style nit.

You may want to hold off until DSDT V3.3 is released – to see where it can be applied – or just give it a shot. And when OS X no longer boots... you know what to do :(

After long months of dsdt checking for no sleep problem i found the reason. DSDT was OK !!!! Sleepenabled didnt help. AppleIntelCPUPower.kext wasnt used / loaded (i used voodoomini) was the key !! Without that (AICP kext) loaded sleep simple NOT WORKING - even if sleepenabler.kext is used.

Good for you. Another one off the list. What's next?

And here are a few Q's for everyone:

How long is your boot time? Let's use the spinner under the Apple logo. I just did a count of fourteen here (32-bit mode and stock CPU speed) but I have another hard drive with OS X 10.6.1 installed on it which stops at 9. Now I wonder if this is related to KEXTs or the OS itself.

Anyone here using 64-bit mode because it is faster?

MasterChief,

Roger all. I'll probably still keep plugging as I've got tons to learn and I'm starting with the simple sections and reading and re-reading the thread to try and get up to speed. I really appreciate everyone's patience.

Regards,

SMF

And here are a few Q's for everyone:

How long is your boot time? Let's use the spinner under the Apple logo. I just did a count of fourteen here (32-bit mode and stock CPU speed) but I have another hard drive with OS X 10.6.1 installed on it which stops at 9. Now I wonder if this is related to KEXTs or the OS itself.

Anyone here using 64-bit mode because it is faster?

Never worked this one out - but:

With SW RAID striped set 2 disk - 29 turns of the spinner

Single drive - 17 turns

SL 32bit

X bench reflects the higher read write speeds for SW RAID dropping about 30 points for single drive.

Also I've just removed VMware fusion which added maybe 5-10 turns of spinner at boot.

I'm still using OHR kext and haven't added any of the recent fixes talked about here, I do however have SBUS device in DSDT.

DSDT25_11_09.dsl.zip

D

Never worked this one out - but:

With SW RAID striped set 2 disk - 29 turns of the spinner

Single drive - 17 turns

SL 32bit

X bench reflects the higher read write speeds for SW RAID dropping about 30 points for single drive.

Also I've just removed VMware fusion which added maybe 5-10 turns of spinner at boot.

I'm still using OHR kext and haven't added any of the recent fixes talked about here, I do however have SBUS device in DSDT.

D

Thanks Dave. And yes Fusion is, like Parallels, a boot time killer.

A few new observations:

1) I don't see this: "Waiting for DSMOS" line in kernel.log with OS X 10.6.1

2) Power Management appears to take a few extra second.

3) Disabling both Audio and LAN in the BIOS makes it fly – up to over 50% faster (only 5 spins with 10.6.1).

4) I removed 155 kexts from /System/Library/Extensions/ but it only reduced the time, marginal, it takes to get to the spinner.

4) I removed 155 kexts from /System/Library/Extensions/ but it only reduced the time, marginal, it takes to get to the spinner.

no surprise. mkext is small.

1) I don't see this: "Waiting for DSMOS" line in kernel.log with OS X 10.6.1

I cant remember with 6.1 but think i did.

have you with 6.2 has arrived?

no surprise. mkext is small.

Yeah, but still good for CD and USB boots.

I cant remember with 6.1 but think i did.

have you with 6.2 has arrived?

Yes I do:

localhost kernel[0]:AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete
6 second later: Waiting for DSMOS...
localhost kernel[0]: systemShutdown false
kernel[0]: Previous Shutdown Cause: 3
kernel[0]: NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.
2 second later: kernel[0]: DSMOS has arrived

I'm using the same DSDT on both drives. I even copied some kexts from 10.6.1 but nada.

Hmm. I also found this one in my system.log: [ERROR] Failed to update ODD thermal key to 0 (read 0xe00002c9)

Sorry, my initial post on this thread was misleading. Let me try again... The dsl I have attached is fine. I'm just trying to add the usb and powerbutton hacks.. But, when I do so, I get errors, so I take it I'm not doing something right. Would one of you be kind to add those fixes to my .dsl? Thank you in advance.

just wondering what's the difference between Shutdown "0" and "3"?

12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	Previous Shutdown Cause: 0
12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	DSMOS has arrived
12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.
12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	identified as RTL8168C/8111C
12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient: ready

also would anyone happen to know the meaning of " Can't get kextd port " or how can i remove it since it's not there before? my system boots fine BTW and just saw it after i tested a new dsdt, kext and recreate my mkext.

12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	MAC Framework successfully initialized
12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers
12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87
12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)
12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	Can't get kextd port.
12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	RTC: Only single RAM bank (128 bytes)
12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	mbinit: done (64 MB memory set for mbuf pool)

TIA.

No idea. Can't remember seeing a 0 with FakeSMC.kext

also would anyone happen to know the meaning of " Can't get kextd port " or how can i remove it since it's not there before? my system boots fine BTW and just saw it after i tested a new dsdt, kext and recreate my mkext.

12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	MAC Framework successfully initialized
12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers
12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87
12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	ACPI: System State [S0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)
12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	Can't get kextd port.
12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	RTC: Only single RAM bank (128 bytes)
12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	mbinit: done (64 MB memory set for mbuf pool)

TIA.

Are you using OSXRestart.kext? I mean that's exactly the spot where it should show up in your log file... if yes are you using the latest version?

p.s. At least I found where it is coming from. Look here.

No idea. Can't remember seeing a 0 with FakeSMC.kext

i believe i've seen 3 too on my log that's why I got curious because now it's always 0 or at least when i boot verbose and check it.

Are you using OSXRestart.kext? I mean that's exactly the spot where it should show up in your log file... if yes are you using the latest version?

p.s. At least I found where it is coming from. Look here.

unfortunately OSXRestart doesn't work on my board 100%, sometimes it shutdown- sometimes it wont, so Ev0reboot for now.

12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	Previous Shutdown Cause: 0
 12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	DSMOS has arrived
 12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.
 12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	identified as RTL8168C/8111C
 12/6/09 1:01:01 PM	kernel	AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient: ready

I have the same .

06/12/2009 14:57:08	kernel	Previous Shutdown Cause: 0
06/12/2009 14:57:08	kernel	NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.
06/12/2009 14:57:08	/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Conten .... .

By The Way

I also had this message at boot:

06/12/2009 14:57:08	com.apple.kextd[10]	Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.
06/12/2009 14:57:08	com.apple.kextd[10]	Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.

Which i've just cleared with :

sudo chown root:admin /

And I've gone from 29 turns (SW RAID) to 15 :(

Hi guys, using a g41m-es2l / quad8200 / 4gb / ich7

Using 10.5.8 due to maya that is not yet compatible with sl.

Everything is silk smooth but restart / shutdown. Have openhaltrestart in e/e but doesnt make a difference. sleep and wake from sleep its okay though.

made all the dsdt tweaks (usb, etc etc) (not the ones to ich9/10 ones). Wondering if Im missing something in the dsdt to get shutdown/restart fixed.

Thanks in advance for any hint. :(

dsdt

I have the same .

06/12/2009 14:57:08	kernel	Previous Shutdown Cause: 0.... .

Would you mind sharing your FakeSMC.kext – hoping to find something in the Info.plist

By The Way. I also had this message at boot:

Which i've just cleared with :

sudo chown root:admin /

And I've gone from 29 turns (SW RAID) to 15 ;)

Wow. That's what I call a huge improvement. I wish I could say the same, but unfortunately not.

...unfortunately OSXRestart doesn't work on my board 100%, sometimes it shutdown- sometimes it wont, so Ev0reboot for now.

I've said this a couple of times already, so repeat after me: It's a restart only fix, hence the name OSXRestart.kext :(

Thanks. So that's not it. Hmm. I wonder why I get 3 all the time and you guys 0 :D

In BIOS under PM settings I have:

ACPI Suspend Type - S3 (STR)

Soft Off by PWR BTTN - Instant Off

AC Back Function - Soft Off

Don't know how this translates to Asus BIOS?!

D.

Master Chief,

Could you please help me to consolidate these two operation regions. One is your work and the other one is what I have in my dsdt. I like to get your definitions in mine or vice vers.

I am assuming that PCI_config address is the same for for all intel based motherboards?

Many thanks in advance.

Artimess

//Added from MC
               // Newly added for EC support.
               OperationRegion (LPC0, PCI_Config, 0xA0, 0x60) // General PM Configuration 3 Register (ICH9R-316972.pdf / 13.8.1.3 / page 492).
               Field (LPC0, AnyAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
               {
                       ,   10, 
                   XPME,   1,                                 // Bit 10 - BIOS_PCI_EXP_EN.
                           Offset (0x04),                     // General PM Configuration 3 Register (ICH9R-316972.pdf / 13.8.1.3 - / page 492).
                   AG3E,   1,                                 // Bit 0 Ð AFTERG3_EN.
                           Offset (0x50),                     // Root Complex Base Address Register (ICH9R-316972.pdf / 13.1.35 / page 451).
                   RAEN,   1,                                 // Bit 1 - Enable.
                       ,   13,                                // Reserved bits.
                   RCBA,   18                                 // Bit 14:31 - Root Complex Base Address.
               }

//Mine
               OperationRegion (LPC0, PCI_Config, 0x40, 0xC0)
               {
                           Offset (0x40), 
                   IOD0,   8, 
                   IOD1,   8, 
                           Offset (0x48), 
                   Z000,   1, 
                           Offset (0xB0), 
                   RAEN,   1, 
                       ,   13, 
                   RCBA,   18
               }

Master Chief,

Could you please help me to consolidate these two operation regions. One is your work and the other one is what I have in my dsdt. I like to get your definitions in mine or vice vers.

I am assuming that PCI_config address is the same for for all intel based motherboards?

Many thanks in advance.

Artimess

... see post # 695

... see post # 695

Here ya go:

OperationRegion (LPC0, PCI_Config, 0x80, 0x75)
{
   IOD0,   8,
   IOD1,   8,
           Offset (0x08),		// 0x88
   Z000,   1,
           Offset (0x20),		// 0xA0
       ,   10,
   XPME,   1,
           Offset (0x24),		// 0xA4
   AG3E,   1,
           Offset (0x70),		// 0xF0
   RAEN,   1,
       ,   13,
   RCBA,   18
}

Thanks. So that's not it. Hmm. I wonder why I get 3 all the time and you guys 0 :lol:

Got it. I also have 0 now. The darn thing didn't load the latest version since I had two of them.

Not sure if this is something to be concerned about but is something I noticed earlier Previous post

Under lspci before sleep I have a heap of unknown devices.

Checked Blackosx's lspci output and his appears to be without unknown devices.

Any idea where I should look to fix (and anyone else noticed this?

Good for you. Another one off the list. What's next?

Audio?

:(

Not sure if this is something to be concerned about but is something I noticed earlier Previous post

Checked Blackosx's lspci output and his appears to be without unknown devices.

Any idea where I should look to fix (and anyone else noticed this?

How about running update-pciids

I don't know why this happens but I too have some. If I can help in any way then let me know?

Thanks. That changed my Ethernet Controller from

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)

Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-EP45-DS5 Motherboard

to

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)

Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller

But it didn't help with my unknown devices...

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller

Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device a002

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JIB (ICH10) LPC Interface Controller

Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device 5001

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G92 [GeForce 8800 GT] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device 1170

I don't know why this happens but I too have some. If I can help in any way then let me know?

Thanks for your kind offer,

If I run lspci the only unknown device I get is

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:0615] (rev a2)

Under lspci before sleep I get about 12.

tried it - I get a download failed error (see attached pic)

Maybe I need to install Lynx?

post-452164-1260175354_thumb.jpg