Asus P6T SE Retail Snow Leopard Installation Guide [FLASHDRIVE] [UPDATED JUN. 28]]

tweak41

1,279 posts in this topic

Got a small problem guys,

i recently got 2x 4890 ati cards.

Works wonderfully in windows however in 10.6.2 the other card isn't recognised and the fan of the second one is on 100% all the time.

The first card works with dual dvi working.

heres a sample of the -v on boot

ATI VGA Controller [1002:9460] : : PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

old pci command - 7

boot display - 1

Not going to use bios image file

Found bios image file

adding binimage to card 9460 from legacy space with size f000

ATI VGA Controller [1002:9460] : : PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x7,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

old pci command - 0

new pci command - 6

boot display - 0

found bios image

wrong pci header signature ffffffff

after that the fan of the second card goes on full. They system doesn't recognise it even in system profiller but in windows, crossfire works

so any idea what is with the wrong pci header signature ffffffff ?

The PCI header is probably a bug in the boot file.

First you'll need to disable crossfire. Unless someone had a breakthrough lately, crossfire and SLI are 100% not supported by OSX. But I won't say that your specific 2 ATI cards running for 3-4 monitors is impossible...but I'm not saying that it's possible either since I think they're only recently supported as a single card.

We can try I suppose. I need your framebuffer name and VRAM size and I'll hard code you a dual graphics card DSDT.

hello everyone im new to this so take it easy on me :-) ive been wanting to do a hackintosh for a while and have a i7 920 stock/ with an asus p6t se/ and a nvidia 8800 gts 640mb/corsair 6GB DDR3 1600MHz XMS3/ and a Intel X25-M 80GB

should i follow this guide ? will it work for me ? and will i have to update if i buy this version of mac osx ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mac-Snow-Leopard-1...f=pd_cp_sw_h__1

hope you can help thanks

The PCI header is probably a bug in the boot file.

First you'll need to disable crossfire. Unless someone had a breakthrough lately, crossfire and SLI are 100% not supported by OSX. But I won't say that your specific 2 ATI cards running for 3-4 monitors is impossible...but I'm not saying that it's possible either since I think they're only recently supported as a single card.

We can try I suppose. I need your framebuffer name and VRAM size and I'll hard code you a dual graphics card DSDT.

thanks bchemist. I disconnected the crossfire ties.

the framebuffer is motmot VRAM 1gb.

tried messing with the dsdt myself but I got lost. I did suspect that I could do a dsdt fix but my lack of knowledge kinda got in the way. :)

thanks bchemist. I disconnected the crossfire ties.

the framebuffer is motmot VRAM 1gb.

tried messing with the dsdt myself but I got lost. I did suspect that I could do a dsdt fix but my lack of knowledge kinda got in the way. :)

This may take several trials to get it to work, if it's indeed possible. Let's do this in a series of steps as follows:

1) Try DSDT with existing files (assuming you are using my speedstep pack) and change nothing else.

else

2) Remove GraphicsEnabler=Yes in boot.plist

else

3) put back #2 and try Netkas 10.6 bootloader

else

4) see step 2 again

5) try the other bootloaders and repeat cycle.

As far as adding other enabler kexts for Radeon cards that's something I really don't know. It make take quite a bit of trial and error on top of the above if you need to add ATI enabler kexts as well.

Good luck!

thundercatdualradeontest.aml.zip

My pleasure ;)

For geekbench it's about 8700 on average with stock speeds. My overclock speeds give me about the same scores as tweak41. I plan to get some better RAM in the near future to see how much that can be improved.

I was playing with this last night and it's pretty cool...the Cinebench 4D benchmarking tool: http://www.maxon.net/downloads/downloads/c...ebench-115.html

It measures both CPU and graphics performance and, like Geekbench, it is up to date. Xbench, in contrast, is obsolete based on what I've read (plus it doesn't seem like they've updated their website in at least 2-3 years) in that it doesn't test for hyperthreading. I'm going to play with it today to see what happens.

I'm getting about 7800. Guess that's alright :rolleyes:

It's your graphics card, we have the exact same computer and I worked on it for like 6 months and when you swap out the ATI Radion HD4850 card for say the 9800 GT it will work instantly

You will actually never get that card to work, because it by the wrong manufactor and its not actually on the list of working graphics cards on the OSx86 project.

it still hangs...

How fix it?

ATI Radeon HD4850 card

P6T SE

Core i7 920

be551ba10056e530482700fe4af19aec.png...

763f29af91067cf5177e7f9c997adc77.png

407b7d7370c271599ca10eac514c931c.png29d7b430e8c1fa642298aecf8d73c166.png

hi bchemist,

Thanks for the dsdt.

I just tried it, and its odd. with 2 cards in place, nothing happens, or rather, it was like before, ie 2nd card not detected, fan on max. tried all the bootloaders i can get my hands on. heres the odd part, just for kicks, i inserted my gts250 in the other slot. it gets detected but as a 4890 but i think thats partly to do with the dsdt. so i thought it was other 4890 that was faulty but i swapped places and its all good.

Thanks for your help anyway, much appreciated. maybe 10.6.2 isn't ready for dual ati cards.

marc

This may take several trials to get it to work, if it's indeed possible. Let's do this in a series of steps as follows:

1) Try DSDT with existing files (assuming you are using my speedstep pack) and change nothing else.

else

2) Remove GraphicsEnabler=Yes in boot.plist

else

3) put back #2 and try Netkas 10.6 bootloader

else

4) see step 2 again

5) try the other bootloaders and repeat cycle.

As far as adding other enabler kexts for Radeon cards that's something I really don't know. It make take quite a bit of trial and error on top of the above if you need to add ATI enabler kexts as well.

Good luck!

I've got 2 ATI cards working in my system. It was a bit of a pain to get it working, but it's possible. It's actually the "boot" file that you need to modify... There is a guide on here explaining the process, unfortunately there are a few discrepencies which make it a bit confusing. Basically you need to download the sources and modify the ati.c file and recompile. ALSO! This is HUGE... only one of your cards can have QE/CI enabled, so if you're using two identical cards (or two cards with the same device ID #s) then you're screwed. Because you have to go into the ATIRadeonX2000.kext's info.plist and make sure that the device ID ONLY for your primary card is in there.

It's really not that hard. It's quite possible that netkas and AsereBNL's latest bootloaders do not need to be modified- just the ATIRadeonX2000 kext.

Keep with it and you'll get it (as long as both cards have unique device IDs).

Multiple ATI Radeon cards - HOW-TO:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=203990

It's not entirely clear to me from your posts- I'm guessing because there may have been some PM communication going on as well- but it seems to me that you have two ATI Radeon HD4890s, so in that case you will not be able to get them both working- and you will not be able to get QE/CI working on any two ATI cards until Apple comes out with some updates which provide support for that...

If you really want support for a 2-3rd monitor which a single card doesn't support (like I did), just pick up something cheap like a 4650 to run one of your monitors; I picked one up for $45 including shipping!

You could have it in a 3rd slot. If your monitors have multiple inputs you'll be able to get things configured to work in an acceptable manner on your hack and in any other OSes you use. I have to have my monitors each hooked up twice in order to use CrossfireX (not hard-connected, software only which is a feature of the 4600 series) in windows and have a picture from both on my hack! LOL

Thanks for that... that was my next course of action, fiddling with the boot file but you are spot on, i do have 2 identical 4890's.

I also read about the posts you suggested. it seems the x2000 kext is the limiting factor.

well see when 10.6.3 comes out.

my alternative solution is to now figure out how to disable it at the bootloader stage, i don't really need it for osx just i got dual dvi and only 2 monitors anyway. heres a thread on how they did it. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183349

the other card is primarily for crossfire in windows.

marc5

edit:: Ok, well, i kept at it and oddly enough, its working. i promise this will be my last post regarding my ati 4890 issues.

I used bchemist's dsdt file without the dual radeon additions. it works only if i booted with -f flag and graphics enabler=no. takes alot longer maybe up to 1 minute. with 1 card and graphics enabler, it boots in like 15 secs.

so i looked around and i found that because i booted with -f i need to do this,

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

so voila, longer boot but the fans are quiet, osx works, crossfire in windows works.

dunno about sleep yet. will try shortly.

ok thats it. i'll start posting in the ati forums from now on regarding the 4890.

I've got 2 ATI cards working in my system. It was a bit of a pain to get it working, but it's possible. It's actually the "boot" file that you need to modify... There is a guide on here explaining the process, unfortunately there are a few discrepencies which make it a bit confusing. Basically you need to download the sources and modify the ati.c file and recompile. ALSO! This is HUGE... only one of your cards can have QE/CI enabled, so if you're using two identical cards (or two cards with the same device ID #s) then you're screwed. Because you have to go into the ATIRadeonX2000.kext's info.plist and make sure that the device ID ONLY for your primary card is in there.

It's really not that hard. It's quite possible that netkas and AsereBNL's latest bootloaders do not need to be modified- just the ATIRadeonX2000 kext.

Keep with it and you'll get it (as long as both cards have unique device IDs).

Multiple ATI Radeon cards - HOW-TO:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=203990

It's not entirely clear to me from your posts- I'm guessing because there may have been some PM communication going on as well- but it seems to me that you have two ATI Radeon HD4890s, so in that case you will not be able to get them both working- and you will not be able to get QE/CI working on any two ATI cards until Apple comes out with some updates which provide support for that...

If you really want support for a 2-3rd monitor which a single card doesn't support (like I did), just pick up something cheap like a 4650 to run one of your monitors; I picked one up for $45 including shipping!

You could have it in a 3rd slot. If your monitors have multiple inputs you'll be able to get things configured to work in an acceptable manner on your hack and in any other OSes you use. I have to have my monitors each hooked up twice in order to use CrossfireX (not hard-connected, software only which is a feature of the 4600 series) in windows and have a picture from both on my hack! LOL

Hi,

My i7 920 / P6T SE hackintosh is running better than ever thanks to Bchemist's constant DSDT updates, but I have one annoying problem - my RF mouse (Microsoft Arc) frequently locks up for 1-10 seconds. During this time the pointer, buttons and scrollwheel are all unresponsive.

I was previously using a bluetooth mighty mouse with a CSR receiver, which had the same problem, but I put it down to a poor bluetooth implementation. I've seen the same thing with other RF and corded USB mice.

I'm also using an Apple Wireless Keyboard with no problems. I've googled extensively for a solution, and there are a few vague reports of similar problems, but none identical, and no concrete causes or solutions. I suspect an interrupt issue, but haven't been able to track it down. There's nothing in any of the logs during the freezes. and the computer is otherwise responsive (music plays, responds to keyboard etc.)

I'd appreciate if anyone could throw some light on the situation, or suggest further troubleshooting.

Specs:

Core i7 920

ASUS P6T-SE, 6 gig DDR3, SATA boot drive.

Apple Wireless Keyboard with ASUS bluetooth receiver (Broadcom chipset)

Microsoft Arc Mouse with RF receiver on separate USB bus

OSX 10.6.2 retail with AsereBLN loader / Bchemist's latest DSDT.aml

64 bit kernel (although 32 bit has no effect).

Marionez' ALC1200 AppleHDA.kext

Identifying as MacPro4.1

fakesmc.kext 2.5 in E/E and RealtekR1000SL.kext in S/L/E.

Hi,

My i7 920 / P6T SE hackintosh is running better than ever thanks to Bchemist's constant DSDT updates, but I have one annoying problem - my RF mouse (Microsoft Arc) frequently locks up for 1-10 seconds. During this time the pointer, buttons and scrollwheel are all unresponsive.

I was previously using a bluetooth mighty mouse with a CSR receiver, which had the same problem, but I put it down to a poor bluetooth implementation. I've seen the same thing with other RF and corded USB mice.

I'm also using an Apple Wireless Keyboard with no problems. I've googled extensively for a solution, and there are a few vague reports of similar problems, but none identical, and no concrete causes or solutions. I suspect an interrupt issue, but haven't been able to track it down. There's nothing in any of the logs during the freezes. and the computer is otherwise responsive (music plays, responds to keyboard etc.)

I'd appreciate if anyone could throw some light on the situation, or suggest further troubleshooting.

Specs:

Core i7 920

ASUS P6T-SE, 6 gig DDR3, SATA boot drive.

Apple Wireless Keyboard with ASUS bluetooth receiver (Broadcom chipset)

Microsoft Arc Mouse with RF receiver on separate USB bus

OSX 10.6.2 retail with AsereBLN loader / Bchemist's latest DSDT.aml

64 bit kernel (although 32 bit has no effect).

Marionez' ALC1200 AppleHDA.kext

Identifying as MacPro4.1

fakesmc.kext 2.5 in E/E and RealtekR1000SL.kext in S/L/E.

I use the DSDT by Bchemist in my P7P55D-E with a few modifications he suggested since my USB and Event Controller are a little different than your motherboard but everything else is the same once the code is optimized. I'm replying here though because I have a Microsoft mouse like the Arc and after installing the drivers on the disk for Mac it didn't update so I guess those are the current drivers.

Here's my Extensions output in Profiler:

Version: 6.1

Last Modified: 6/15/06 6:00 PM

Kind: Universal

Architectures: i386, ppc

64-Bit (Intel): No

Kext Version: 6.1

Load Address: 0x48991000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Satisfied

Did you check to see if your drivers are 32 bit or 64 bit? Maybe booting in 64 bit is causing the problem? I was already scolded by Bchemist through PM because I was stubborn to make my system default to 32 bit hehe :) But it did solve the last bugs I had when I finally booted with the arch=i386 as the default. Hope this helps!

I use the DSDT by Bchemist in my P7P55D-E with a few modifications he suggested since my USB and Event Controller are a little different than your motherboard but everything else is the same once the code is optimized. I'm replying here though because I have a Microsoft mouse like the Arc and after installing the drivers on the disk for Mac it didn't update so I guess those are the current drivers.

Here's my Extensions output in Profiler:

Version: 6.1

Last Modified: 6/15/06 6:00 PM

Kind: Universal

Architectures: i386, ppc

64-Bit (Intel): No

Kext Version: 6.1

Load Address: 0x48991000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Satisfied

Did you check to see if your drivers are 32 bit or 64 bit? Maybe booting in 64 bit is causing the problem? I was already scolded by Bchemist through PM because I was stubborn to make my system default to 32 bit hehe :) But it did solve the last bugs I had when I finally booted with the arch=i386 as the default. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your reply. I'm actually just using the default OS X mouse driver, given that it supports all the buttons and scroll wheel. I haven't tried the MS driver.

I've tried in 32-bit mode and the same thing happens. I've disabled legacy USB mode in the BIOS and it seems improved, but not fully resolved.

Thanks for your reply. I'm actually just using the default OS X mouse driver, given that it supports all the buttons and scroll wheel. I haven't tried the MS driver.

I've tried in 32-bit mode and the same thing happens. I've disabled legacy USB mode in the BIOS and it seems improved, but not fully resolved.

Try the Microsoft drivers that came with your mouse for OSX and then see what happens in 32 bit. On the website it's listed to support 10.5 but it installs just fine with 10.6.2. It will give you a Microsoft Mouse icon in your apps folder where you can adjust the settings and set options on the mouse.

Try the Microsoft drivers that came with your mouse for OSX and then see what happens in 32 bit. On the website it's listed to support 10.5 but it installs just fine with 10.6.2. It will give you a Microsoft Mouse icon in your apps folder where you can adjust the settings and set options on the mouse.

Hey, thanks for the tip, the Intellipoint software seems to have solved the issue. The 7.1 version has 64 bit support as well. I'm not sure why the OS X driver was having issues (with non-Microsoft mice as well) but never mind, seems to be working a treat now. Thanks again!

Anyone have issues mounting firewire drives?

I've been doing a lot of editing lately and for some reason my firewire harddrive only mounts when I put the machine to sleep and wake it up.

Hi everyone! I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Hackintosh. I know Macs and PCs very well but am not familiar with the concepts of bootloaders, kext files etc. I'm thinking about installing OSX on my PC and thought I'd ask a couple of questions before I follow this guide.

My PC is an i7 920 with ASUS P6T-SE, 6GB DDR3, 3x HIS H465PS512P Radeon HD 4650 512MB and 2 SATA drives. I have a Windows 7 64-bit dual boot system installed on two separate partitions on one of the HDs. The other HD is empty and not formatted.

1. It says to upgrade BIOS to 0608. Since this guide is from last year and the latest BIOS is now 0805, should I still use 0608?

2. I read somewhere that people had problems with ATI 4650. I have three installed. Not using crossfire, only for 6 monitors. Will this work for me or is installation likely to fail?

3. Would my chances of a successful installation increase if I installed Leopard instead of Snow Leopard (I have both discs), especially thinking about my graphic cards?

4. Should I still use the "essential package" here or the newer PC-EFI v10.6? What's the difference?

5. Could I screw up my existing PC installations by doing this? I don't want to find out that I suddenly will not be able to boot into Windows? I had some serious problems last year trying to get a multi-boot system with Win 7 and XP working.

I would appreciate any information you have.

Thanks,

Don

1- yes

2- think so if you have problems try installing with only 1 card and then add the other 2

3- no... you should install Snow the compatibility will be the same if not better

4- use the essential package and the upgrade to 10.6 (after everything is running you can go back 1 or 2 pages and try bchemist new dsdt with new bootloader)

5- yes theres always a chance are you going to install on the same hdd as the windows? if so it will need more work but nothing impossible if they are on diferent hdds theres no problem at all

Thanks Wolverine for your reply,

another post here said "Chameleon RC3 is good for nVIDIA graphics cards and PC EFI 10v3 is good for ATI". Is that true? The instructions says to use Chameleon but I have ATI graphic cards. Just want to make sure.

Also, I'm installing OSX alone on a second HD. My first HD has 2x Win 7. Instructions says to put the OSX drive as first boot drive in BIOS. When I do that now with the HD empty, the computer doesn't boot up at all. Is that OK? Should I keep it that way and then after OSX is installed everything will be good?

Thanks,

Don

you should go to asurebln check a post from bchemist few pages back on how-to

if you want to make sure your windows will be intact just unplug your hd

when you chose an empty hd to boot first it wont boot because its empty lol

i think you should unplug windows hd and leave only the hd you will install snow leopard

follow the guide on 1st page after everything right and configured plug your hd back and you are done chameleon or pcefi or asurebln will detect it automatically

Hi again, I unplugged the Windows HD and replaced the boot file on the flash drive with the EFI 10v3 boot file included in the essential folder (renamed to "boot") because of the Radeon HD4650 cards. I ran the -v command but after all the text, nothing happened. I have attached a photo of the text. I then tried to just hit enter and then I got to the white screen with the Apple logo, but nothing happened either. I went back and tried the same thing with the original boot file and got the exact same behavior. I even tried to put the PC-EFI v10.6 file (boot.bz2) on the flash drive but that didn't boot at all, just got an error message. Any ideas?

I have also connected the flash drive to my Mac and made sure it was bootable.

Does it matter that the HD is not formatted?

I also didn't understand the instructions " a SATA hard drive that you've configured it as either AHCI or RAID in your BIOS". I couldn't find any such settings in the BIOS. What is AHCI?

Also, I didn't understand what to do at aserebln.blogspot.com. I really don't know what I'm doing here so all I can do unfortunately is follow step-by-step instructions. :-(

Thanks again,

Don

post-586923-1268367324_thumb.jpg

hi don,

use the 10.6 bootloader, however, the bz2 is a zip file, you need to unzip it first.

try that and see how that goes, oh and make sure to boot with -v

Hi again, I unplugged the Windows HD and replaced the boot file on the flash drive with the EFI 10v3 boot file included in the essential folder (renamed to "boot") because of the Radeon HD4650 cards. I ran the -v command but after all the text, nothing happened. I have attached a photo of the text. I then tried to just hit enter and then I got to the white screen with the Apple logo, but nothing happened either. I went back and tried the same thing with the original boot file and got the exact same behavior. I even tried to put the PC-EFI v10.6 file (boot.bz2) on the flash drive but that didn't boot at all, just got an error message. Any ideas?

I have also connected the flash drive to my Mac and made sure it was bootable.

Does it matter that the HD is not formatted?

I also didn't understand the instructions " a SATA hard drive that you've configured it as either AHCI or RAID in your BIOS". I couldn't find any such settings in the BIOS. What is AHCI?

Also, I didn't understand what to do at aserebln.blogspot.com. I really don't know what I'm doing here so all I can do unfortunately is follow step-by-step instructions. :-(

Thanks again,

Don

Anyone have issues mounting firewire drives?

I've been doing a lot of editing lately and for some reason my firewire harddrive only mounts when I put the machine to sleep and wake it up.

Ironic only our board has devices that ONLY wake up AFTER sleeping when we were one of the first ones to fix the opposite problem just a couple of months ago :unsure:

Seriously though, did this just happen on a random day or can you trace your steps? Did you try cleaning out your caches with something like Tinkertool or Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner?

Hi everyone! I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Hackintosh. I know Macs and PCs very well but am not familiar with the concepts of bootloaders, kext files etc. I'm thinking about installing OSX on my PC and thought I'd ask a couple of questions before I follow this guide.

My PC is an i7 920 with ASUS P6T-SE, 6GB DDR3, 3x HIS H465PS512P Radeon HD 4650 512MB and 2 SATA drives. I have a Windows 7 64-bit dual boot system installed on two separate partitions on one of the HDs. The other HD is empty and not formatted.

1. It says to upgrade BIOS to 0608. Since this guide is from last year and the latest BIOS is now 0805, should I still use 0608?

2. I read somewhere that people had problems with ATI 4650. I have three installed. Not using crossfire, only for 6 monitors. Will this work for me or is installation likely to fail?

3. Would my chances of a successful installation increase if I installed Leopard instead of Snow Leopard (I have both discs), especially thinking about my graphic cards?

4. Should I still use the "essential package" here or the newer PC-EFI v10.6? What's the difference?

5. Could I screw up my existing PC installations by doing this? I don't want to find out that I suddenly will not be able to boot into Windows? I had some serious problems last year trying to get a multi-boot system with Win 7 and XP working.

I would appreciate any information you have.

Thanks,

Don

You cannot run 3 ATI cards at the same time...unless maybe they are different cards but this is something to try only if you are very advanced. With Nvidia you can run 3 cards but you need to code it in the DSDT. The catch there is that only solid midrange cards will do this based on my experience (9800, 9400, 8800). SLI and Crossfire will not work at all and unless Apple moves to gaming with their new Steam/Valve deal SLI/Crossfire will probably never be supported.

Get the newest bios but to answer your question everything should be the same with the 608 bios.

As Wolverine said, Snow Leopard is the easier of the two.

When booting for the first time, have only your 1 hard drive plugged into port 1. Disable all of your onboard devices in bios and unplug them completely. I find that people new to this should reduce the odds of "Murphy's Law" as much as humanly possible.

You didn't set AHCI? That's the biggest and if that's not done you definitely won't be able to boot.

First screen when it asks which mode for your hard drives it defaults to IDE. You'll change that to AHCI. Make sure ACPI 2.0 is enabled, S3 enabled, Plug and play OS = Yes, all EHCI or legacy USB should be auto or enabled, USB device should be changed from "auto" to "hard disk".

Dual booting - no practical experience there for me since all of my Windows machines are OEM.