VMware SVGA II display driver for OS X, v1.2.5

308 posts in this topic

Update:

I've uploaded a new version of guestd_patches.pkg in the files area of VMsvga2 on Sourceforge. It contains a patch for the VMware Darwin Tools that come with Fusion 3.1.1 (shipped Aug 13 2010), to make fit-guest work with VMsvga2.

Zenith432,

Brilliant, Thanks on behalf of everyone, MSoK.

• 3 weeks later...
VMsvga2 v1.2.3

Changelog from 1.2.2 to 1.2.3

1) Added three more display modes

- 2048x1152, 1600x900, 1366x768

There is a common installer for the Leopard and SnowLeopard versions (see link in Post #1.)

Zenith432, as always thanks for your continued support, MSoK.

VMsvga2 v1.2.3

Changelog from 1.2.2 to 1.2.3

1) Added three more display modes

- 2048x1152, 1600x900, 1366x768

There is a common installer for the Leopard and SnowLeopard versions (see link in Post #1.)

Also just wanted to say big thanks to Zenith432 for this driver.

G.

Hey Zenith432,

First off, thanks for all your work with the display drivers - they are working beautifully for me (and I'm sure for many) under ESXi 4.1. :-) If there is any way I can express my gratitude (pizza, beer, etc) for everything you've done, please PM me and I'll be happy to do something nice for all your efforts (as a personal thank-you).

Onto business. I wanted to suggest adding a few more resolutions, namely these:

960x640

640x960

800x480

480x800

Why such strange (and low) resolutions? Here's my reasoning:

Many will probably recognize those as the resolutions used on the iPhone 4 and the HTC EVO. I have the iPhone, and many people I know have the EVO. While these are great phones in their own right, they are not complete desktops by any means, and do have their respective limitations. However...

It is easily possible to VNC or use something else (I use TeamViewer) to remote desktop from these phones. Now, if you have an ESX(i) server running with 10.6 + your drivers at this display resolution, we then have essentially a true desktop interface on these phones.

Just think of the possibilities with that! :-D

So, do you think it's possible, and would you be willing to add these resolutions?

Thanks again Zenith!

~FoxND001

There's a minimum of 800x600 for SVGA II.

[Edit: Actually, I'm not sure, that may be the minimum allowed by VMwareGfx. I'll try 640x480 to see how it fares out.]

Ok. If it turns out that 800x600 is the limit, then that would rule out 3 of the 4, but 960x640 should still be possible. What do you think?

Alternatively, we could double the resolutions for the unsupported ones, which could be then scaled down properly on iPhone 4 and EVO. Based on this, an updated list of desired resolutions to "look" correct on the iPhones and EVOS would be:

Standard Res:

iPhone widescreen = 960x640 (should be possible?)

iPhone portrait = 640x960 (might not be possible?)

EVO widescreen = 800x480 (might not be possible?)

EVO portrait = 480x800 (might not be possible?)

Double Res (for scaling):

iPhone doubled widescreen = 1920x1200

iPhone doubled portrait = 1200x1920

EVO doubled widescreen = 1600x960

EVO doubled portrait = 960x1600

What do you think? And thanks for taking a look! :-)

~FoxND001

• 3 weeks later...
is it me, but it seems that flash will crash in chrome and safari after using this driver

don't get me wrong, it's better than nothing

flash in firefox seems to work fine though, weird

Looks like the latest incarnation of Adobe Flash Player (r102) for Safari on SnowLeopard requires QE/CI :( It's either that or it's got some bug in it. I found some inexplicable error messges in syslog about OpenGL functions not working.

It doesn't work with Apple's NDRV or VMwareGfx either. I turned on detailed logging in VMsvga2 and it doesn't do anything out of the ordinary with it.

The previous version I had (d45) worked, and r102 on Leopard still works ;)

Looks like the latest incarnation of Adobe Flash Player (r102) for Safari on SnowLeopard requires QE/CI ;) It's either that or it's got some bug in it. I found some inexplicable error messges in syslog about OpenGL functions not working.

It doesn't work with Apple's NDRV or VMwareGfx either. I turned on detailed logging in VMsvga2 and it doesn't do anything out of the ordinary with it.

The previous version I had (d45) worked, and r102 on Leopard still works :)

thanks for your time, I'm using the 10.6.4 VMWARE image, gonna try reverting to an older version of flash, I'll post if I find a solution

Firstly, thank you for implementing the driver. I'm a newbie to this forum. Currently I'm using vmware workstation 7.1.2, installed with following sequence...

1. Mac OS 10.6.3 -> Mac OS 10.6.5.

1. vwmare tools 3.1.1. from fusion 3.1.

2. vmware SVGA driver II v1.2.3.

3. Apply patch from same sourceforge forum.

May I ask whether this sequence is correct? Secondly, just wants to report...everything works fine except appls require qe/ci, but when using remote desktop to some windows hosts, when I move the cursor inside the rdp window, there is a black rectangle covering the cursor. (If I press cmd. to capture the screen, the cursor looks fine but cannot capture the black rectangle.)

Another thing is flash, latest flash with Safari would cause crash/hang...(however, no problem if using firefox...) anyway, I un-installed the latest one and installed back flash v10r45, now flash is fine with both browsers.

May I ask whether this sequence is correct?
Yes.

Secondly, just wants to report...everything works fine except appls require qe/ci, but when using remote desktop to some windows hosts, when I move the cursor inside the rdp window, there is a black rectangle covering the cursor. (If I press cmd. to capture the screen, the cursor looks fine but cannot capture the black rectangle.)
Yes, someone already posted that problem. It happens with VMwareGfx as well. Might be a glitch related to alpha cursors. I'll try to set up what's necessary to reproduce it if I get the chance and take a look at it.

Another thing is flash, latest flash with Safari would cause crash/hang...(however, no problem if using firefox...) anyway, I un-installed the latest one and installed back flash v10r45, now flash is fine with both browsers.
I've verified that 10r45 is the last version of Flash Player that doesn't hang Safari on OS10.6 with systems that don't support QE/CI. For the benefit of those who don't know how to find it, I've uploaded [Edit May 13 2012 - link removed] to mediafire. I suggest people having problems with Safari 10.1r102 hanging, revert to 10r45. The freeze makes it difficult to use Safari, because lots of sites have flash content. In order to revert, it's necessary to uninstall the exiting version of Flash Player like this [from a Terminal]

sudo pkgutil --forget com.adobe.pkg.FlashPlayer
sudo /bin/rm -rf /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/Flash\ Player.plugin

and then install 10r45.

There's also the firefox plugin [.xpt file] there. I guess it's ok to mix the .xpt plugin from r102 and the Safari plugin from r45, but installing 10r45 overwrites both.

Thanks Zenith

I got flash in Safari working in 10.6.5 using the older r45 version. Chrome still wants to hang, but that's mainly due to the lastest version of flash being built into the browser.

I installed 10.5.8 and I don't have any problems with the newest version of flash in firefox, safari or chrome

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Zenith

I got flash in Safari working in 10.6.5 using the older r45 version. Chrome still wants to hang, but that's mainly due to the lastest version of flash being built into the browser.

I installed 10.5.8 and I don't have any problems with the newest version of flash in firefox, safari or chrome

Thanks again

This may help for Chrome http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83950.html. Disable built-in flash and allows use of alternative Flash plugin.

FYI, Fusion 3.1.2 has been released. I've uploaded a new guestd_patches.pkg for enabling fit-guest/autofit in VMsvga2 with darwin.iso tools. This new version of guest_patches is a generic version I wrote from scratch and works with all Fusion versions 3.x.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the wonderful work!!

Though I'm a newbie to Mac, I was able to get Mac OS X 10.6.5 running on ESXi 4.1 using instructions from Donk.

With the SVGA II update, the resolution and the sluggish mouse movement is resolved. Also thanks for the Flash Player instructions. Now both Safari & Chrome work fine with sites using Flash.

Thanks again for the great work and sharing all the information!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using VMware 7 on on Win7 64bit. I have SL 10.6.6 running as guest. Is there a link for the VMware Tools installer from Vmware Fusion? I can't install the "guest_patches" because it says it requires VMware Tools.

EDIT: nevermind, found it in the vmware fusion installer, darwin.iso

• 2 months later...

I'm having problems with 10.6.7, Workstation 7.1.4 and svga 2 1.2.3. I installed VMTools 3.12, then svga 1.2.3 and then the guest patch, rebooting after each install. Using Albert's unlocker.

It seems autofit works the first reboot after installing the guest patch. Subsequent reboots disable autofit and the screen is stuck and whatever startup resolution is (typically the VMWare window size).

How can I make it always work? I can provide more info so long as I know what is needed. vmx file attached.

Thanks

Snow_Leopard.txt

Hm ok, I have no audio, here what I've done,

1. Install OS X 10.6.3

2. Install VMWare tools (So I can use shared folders for combo update)

3. Install 10.6.7 combo update

4. Install Audio

5. Install Video

6. Install patch thingy

Now after all that I've also enabled a sound card in settings but my vm can't do audio?

EDIT: It's working now, not sure what was wrong :S

• 5 months later...

Quick question - I have 10.6.8 running on workstation 7 - installed the vmware tools and the svga patch, how ever I cannot get preview to view any of my pictures and the videos in youtube do not work.

I can view flash though.

Any ideas?

Specs:

fujitsu tablet T5010

Core 2 duo P8600 2.4ghz

Intel Graphics (GMA 4500)

4gb ram

Note for people who install Darwin Tools from Fusion 4.0.1 on the guest - Do not install the VMsvga2 guestd patches over this version of the tools. They're incompatible. I'm working on an update to the guestd patches. In the meantime, it's not possible to get fit-guest under VMsvga2 with Darwin Tools 4.0.1. If you must have fit-guest, use VMware's driver VMwareGfx from 4.0.1 in the guest.

Edit [sep 21 2011]: See post #102 for update.