VMware SVGA II display driver for OS X, v1.2.5

308 posts in this topic

Thank you for this driver so much...

The window movement is sleek now, although the dock animation is still kinda slow when you click on Applications.

Would like to see auto resize in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

When I open that file I'm asked if I want to install 2 packages relating to VMWare Fusion, but I'm using VMware Workstation, and when I install the video driver I lose the functionality of auto-fitting to guest. If I install those packages in guestd_patches.pkg will I recover that functionality?

Thanks

Diego

Update:

I've uploaded a new version of guestd_patches.pkg in the files area of VMsvga2 on Sourceforge. It contains a patch for the VMware Darwin Tools that come with Fusion 3.1.0 (shipped May 25 2010), to make fit-guest work with VMsvga2.

Update:

I've uploaded a new version of guestd_patches.pkg in the files area of VMsvga2 on Sourceforge. It contains a patch for the VMware Darwin Tools that come with Fusion 3.1.0 (shipped May 25 2010), to make fit-guest work with VMsvga2.

Zenith432, Glad to have you back and on the case, Best Regards MSoK.

Update:

cool, awesome news, nice to see you back too Zenith!

where can I download the iso of vmware tools for darwin 3.1.0? i have already installed vmware workstation 7.1 but it does not seem to come with the new darwin iso....

Hi Zenith,

I am a newbie here on the forums, and have slowly been learning about Mac OS virtualization. I have learned alot about your SnowKitty project, and have even helped some users on the forum, also worked through my non VT-x issues. I have also read your documentation, as well as some of your source code. I am very far from understanding your work, but it is something of great interest to me, so I am putting alot of effort :rolleyes: . I would like to see if I could help you with your efforts on this driver, and hopefully being able to enable open gl some day. I would be willing to do anything you need to help in your development. I could do testing, learn to help you code, type manuals or documents or notations, anything that you need to help you on your project.

Please let me know how I can help!

PM or Email me: gonzalo.hvega@yahoo.com

Guys:

Is there a way to increase the VRAM above 128MB? I need to create slides in Keynote, but they are always displayed as black boxes. I updated the driver per the new pkg and set the resolution to 1280x1024 but it didn't help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm running a fully patched SnowLeopard 10.6.3 with 4 procs and 4GB of RAM.

I don't know that it matters, but my base OS is Windows 7 x64 on a Core i7 980 Quad, 12GB RAM, & an ATI 5890 w/ 1GB RAM.

Thanks!

post-15531-1274980467_thumb.png

Guys:

Is there a way to increase the VRAM above 128MB? I need to create slides in Keynote, but they are always displayed as black boxes. I updated the driver per the new pkg and set the resolution to 1280x1024 but it didn't help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm running a fully patched SnowLeopard 10.6.3 with 4 procs and 4GB of RAM.

I don't know that it matters, but my base OS is Windows 7 x64 on a Core i7 980 Quad, 12GB RAM, & an ATI 5890 w/ 1GB RAM.

Thanks!

No that is the limit for VRAM for the SVGAII virtual graphics card. Base machine is irrelevant in this instance.

• 4 weeks later...
Does this auto-fit work only with the Fusion?
No, the host can be any VMware product. The guest must be OS X, and you must have VMware Tools installed in the guest. Since VMware Tools for the Mac come with Fusion, you need to get them from there. After installing VMware Tools in the guest, install guestd_patches.pkg, which will overwrite one file in VMware Tools to make it work with VMsvga2.

• 1 month later...

Guest Fit is not working as well as it did before for me. I used to be able to do Guest Fit at any time, now it only works once during boot since updating to 10.6.4 and using a newer VMware Tools package. Also the animation when opening a Stack grid was smoother.

I am using VMware Workstation 7.1.0 build-261024 and Snow Leopard 10.6.4.

I installed in this order:

VMware Tools.app (extracted from darwin.iso from VMware Fusion 3.1)

VMsvga2_v1.2.2_Common_Installer.pkg

guestd_patches.pkg

Any idea why this sorta works and any steps I can do to improve how it works?

I installed the driver package and rebooted. I can tell that 2D performance has been remarkably improved. Scrolling is much smoother. However, I have two problems still:

My GPU is now listed as having only 16MB VRAM, I used to have 128MB. Is this just a error of representation? Since 2D performance is much better and my res is 1920x1200 I don't know how my SL VM can use only 16MB VRAM.

And also, VLC still can't play video file properly. Whenever I play a video file I get no video but audio is perfectly working. Is this has to do with VLC using hardware acceleration to decode video? I get video and audio if I play my files in QT with Perian, but the stutter makes them impossible to watch.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I installed the driver package and rebooted. I can tell that 2D performance has been remarkably improved. Scrolling is much smoother. However, I have two problems still:

My GPU is now listed as having only 16MB VRAM, I used to have 128MB. Is this just a error of representation? Since 2D performance is much better and my res is 1920x1200 I don't know how my SL VM can use only 16MB VRAM.

And also, VLC still can't play video file properly. Whenever I play a video file I get no video but audio is perfectly working. Is this has to do with VLC using hardware acceleration to decode video? I get video and audio if I play my files in QT with Perian, but the stutter makes them impossible to watch.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As I posted in the other thread you won't get programs that use QE/CI working in VMware, until VMware develop a driver for it. I wouldn't recommend VMware running programs that are graphically or audio intensive.

You can increase the virtual GPU VRAM, Google or search for svga.vramzsize

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great work!

I'm currently using a monitor with 2048x1152 screen resolution. I'm wondering if this driver can or will support it in the future? or maybe i can modify the source code then re compile it?

Please let me know if there's anyway to fix that.

Thanks very much

AfflatusX