VMware SVGA II display driver for OS X, v1.2.5

308 posts in this topic

The latest installment of VMwareGfx found in Fusion 6.0 has 2D acceleration code in it.

Edit: The acceleration code is only loaded up to OS 10.8.5.  It's not loaded for 10.9.

Currently i have setup two vm's to play around, 10.7.5 and 10.8.5, i dont bother so much with ML, but in Lion i had vmware latest tools from version 6 of fusion, then i thought i would try your package, i can see graphics are better, for example i start my vm always in full screen mode, until that was set i often had to leave full screen and re-apply it to be 1440x900 since on every first boot i had 1400x900. This is the first thing fixed by using your package, the next one is in Mission Control/Dashboard, far better experience!

Update

I made a workaround for the problem that was causing Finder and AppStore to crash on OS 10.9 DPx when run with VMsvga2 1.2.5.  The problem was mentioned here.

Installer for 10.9 is here.

Note that System Information -> Displays still only shows the 4x3 aspect ratio modes.  It's the same with VMwareGfx.  I'm still looking for ways to resolve this.

Update

I made a workaround for the problem that was causing Finder and AppStore to crash on OS 10.9 DPx when run with VMsvga2 1.2.5.  The problem was mentioned here.

Installer for 10.9 is here.

Note that System Information -> Displays still only shows the 4x3 aspect ratio modes.  It's the same with VMwareGfx.  I'm still looking for ways to resolve this.

So, with this, we still can't get dynamic sizing, right? Or did I screw up something? (Likely!)

I really like the ability to resize the guest window and have it auto-adjust.

• Like 1

That's broken too.  If you install guestd_patches, and do fit-guest, at first it seems to work, but then a couple seconds later the screen gets garbled.  I'll look into it.

I really like the ability to resize the guest window and have it auto-adjust.

FYI: I'm running 10.9 DP 8 stock with just the vmtools from the v1.2.0 unlock. I didn't install guestd_patches or anything else. (I had snapshotted and installed to svga 1.25 10.9 drivers just to see but have reverted back)

Thanks for looking into this. It's amazing how the svga drivers speed up UI responsiveness.

In order to use fit-guest/autofit-guest with vmsvga2, you have to additionally install guestd_patches.pkg, which is found in the same download location.  I split the installation package a long time ago - because the two components change at an unrelated pace - and it was a hassle to keep a single installer for both.

That said, the fit-guest support is broken under 10.9DP8.  So stay tuned.

FYI: I'm running 10.9 DP 8 stock with just the vmtools from the v1.2.0 unlock. I didn't install guestd_patches or anything else. (I had snapshotted and installed to svga 1.25 10.9 drivers just to see but have reverted back)

• Like 1

Thanks.

I uploaded a new installer VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.9.pkg with a fix for fit-guest/autofit-guest on OS 10.9DPx.

guestd_patches need to be installed, but if already installed to not have to be reinstalled.  Just the kext.

Caveat: On OS 10.9DPx, if you use fit-guest/autofit-guest, after that, System Preferences->Displays will only show the custom resolution that you chose.  Further resolution changes can still be done using the fit/autofit feature.  In other words, after using fit/autofit, you're locked in to using this feature for any additional resolution changes until reboot.

sent a small donation your way.

The updated version works great!

Not quite as speedy as vmsvga2 on 10.8 but much better than not having it at all.

UPDATE: OK, I found an issue. I took a snapshot before and after install, so I was able to switch back and forth for testing. One issue I found is that after install, iTunes in the VM stops working properly: a lot of the buttons just depress but nothing happens. This only seems to effect iTunes, which is weird. Reverting to the pre-install snapshot and iTunes works ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am new here, and I install apple software on VMware.

This works great, 

I also install SVGA II Display driver, now I have full screen in VMware.

I also play a mp4 movie, this was okay, I also try to play a mkv file movie, but that is not working because it says no openGL.

I also try to play youtube movies, some are okay when it was make in HTML5 but the most off it don't play, only black screen with sound in the back.

Is there a way to play these 2 things on a osx in VMware ( Youtube and MKV files ) or is there a way to install opgenGL

I switch on 3D in vmware, no succes.

I run windows 8 , with vmware workstation 10 

Sorry for my engelish.

Thanks,

Regards,

Michel 

• 2 weeks later...
13.7 KB (13,704 bytes)

data: 13,704 bytes

Physical: 16.3 KB (16,384 bytes)

Sep 21, 2011, 3:00 PM

BTW, when I'd limited maximum resolution in VM's settings (to 1600x900 for example), I was able to choose it in os display settings. But there are only 3 or 4 resolutions now.

Well, that's the right one.  Maybe vmware-tools-daemon is not running?  Try the command 'ps -A|grep vmware'.  You should get something like

78 ??         0:00.45 /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/vmware-tools-daemon --name vmsvc --common-path /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/Plugins/Common --plugin-path /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/Plugins/System
  214 ??         0:00.27 /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/vmware-tools-daemon --name vmusr --common-path /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/Plugins/Common --plugin-path /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/Plugins/User

Yep.

ps -A|grep vmware
   64 ??         1:46.04 /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/vmware-tools-daemon --name vmsvc --common-path /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/Plugins/Common --plugin-path /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/Plugins/System
  211 ??         1:48.82 /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/vmware-tools-daemon --name vmusr --common-path /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/Plugins/Common --plugin-path /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/Plugins/User
 2271 ttys001    0:00.00 grep vmware

Try removing VMwareGfx.kext from /S/L/E.  Then rebuild kernelcache by running 'sudo kextcache -system-c; sudo kextcache -system-p', then reboot.  I checked the code and I think there might be a race condition there where if VMwareGfx is found first after boot, patched resolutionSet.dylib stops working.

If removing VMwareGfx.kext fixes your problem, I'll modify resolutionSet.dylib to eliminate the race condition.

Something strange is happening.

I've removed VMwareGfx.kext, rebuilt kernelcache, then I shut down VM. Also I've changed VM's display settings back to "host settings for monitors" and powered on the VM. The resolution remained the same as it was before (1600x900) and now there are all resolutions available, but again only 4:3 with no widescreen ones  :(

Screen_Shot_2013_10_25_at_1_00_59_AM.jpg

Yes, but does fit-guest/autofit-guest work now??????  geez...

(that was the whole point)

Something strange is happening.

I've removed VMwareGfx.kext, rebuilt kernelcache, then I shut down VM. Also I've changed VM's display settings back to "host settings for monitors" and powered on the VM. The resolution remained the same as it was before (1600x900) and now there are all resolutions available, but again only 4:3 with no widescreen ones  :(

thecrazy: Read this.

Edited by Zenith432

From ticket #12 which I linked above

No widescreen resolutions supported on Ox X Maverick retail guest. Only 4:3.

That's Apple's design choice. They modified System Preferences->Displays in OS 10.9 so that it only shows resolutions in an aspect ratio appropriate for the monitor. The aspect ratio is taken from VESA DDC EDID for the monitor. In VMware, there is no monitor and no EDID. So it decides the monitor is 4x3.

As an alternative, you can use the VMware fit-guest/auto-fit guest feature. Install VMware Tools (from darwin.iso), then install guestd_patches.pkg to patch VMware Tools for use with VMsvga2 (it can still work with VMwareGfx after patch.) After that you can change resolutions with fit-guest in non-fullscreen mode, or autofit-guest in fullscreen mode.

Another option is to inject your host monitor's EDID (if you know how to extract it.) This requires some technical know-how. You need to convert the EDID (which should be a 128-byte binary string) to base64 encoding. Then add a property to
VMsvga2.kext/Contents/Info.plist
in the driver personality that says
<key>EDID</key>
<data>base64 encoding of EDID</data>.
Then rebuild kernelcache and reboot. After that System Preferences->Displays should show resolutions appropriate for the host monitor.