GA-EP45-UD3L Snow Leopard Install Guide v1.0 for Newbies

Gurujee

544 posts in this topic

I've just picked up this mobo and am looking to do a vanilla install. The question is...should I follow this thread or use the Kakewalk method?

Are there pros/cons here?

This method allows you to do a vanilla install simple and easy and I see no cons. Just pros.

If you follow this method you will have a working system and very stable.

You can also change to Cartri BIOS Mac Edition to have a more close to real macintosh system, since you will only need a few kexts to make system work flawless.

Cheers,

bb.

I have gotten the cmos fix working. Now I have another problem. If i start up my computer with the apple keyboard plugged in, it continually restarts. It restarts just after it find the 4gig of memory. any help?

Hi tastyfrog.

How do you know the keyboard issue is related to the amount of memory your system is loading?

To test this, try booting your system using the bellow flag:

maxmem=2048

or

maxmem=3072

and see if issues persists.

Original Apple parts shouldn't conflict with this minor issues since the system recognizes it as original parts.

Cheers,

bb.

bb

I have a question.

My rig goes gray screen and the "please shut down (with power icon)" message comes up when I stream video on you tube or the like. It also tends to do this when I push my machine hard, i.e. rendering 3d graphics and such.

Does this have to do with my video card?

I also installed snow leopard with all 8gigs memory installed....is that bad??

Other than that, It runs fine.

Thanks

bb

I have a question.

My rig goes gray screen and the "please shut down (with power icon)" message comes up when I stream video on you tube or the like. It also tends to do this when I push my machine hard, i.e. rendering 3d graphics and such.

Does this have to do with my video card?

I also installed snow leopard with all 8gigs memory installed....is that bad??

Other than that, It runs fine.

Thanks

Hi oconnel.

I couldn't tell you for sure if this grey screen is memory related.

But you can give it a try on reducing the amount of memory load on boot to see if there's something to do with it.

When bootloaders shows up, type:

maxmem=3072

and do the same things to see if error persists.

Cheers,

bb.

maxmem=3072

and do the same things to see if error persists.

Cheers,

bb.

@bb

I guess there has been a problem with OZC ram....so I went and got 4gb of http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.asp...L2KIT25664AA80A

crucial to replace the OZC. So far that seems to work. I have 8gb (4 stix) of the same crucial 2gb DDR@ - 800 CL4 Ballistix.

What a deal.

No More Gray, kernel panic, Screen. :star_smile:

**EDIT** My machine is stable now!!!! - ;)

Thanks bb

@bb

I guess there has been a problem with OZC ram....so I went and got 4gb of http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.asp...L2KIT25664AA80A

crucial to replace the OZC. So far that seems to work. I have 8gb (4 stix) of the same crucial 2gb DDR@ - 800 CL4 Ballistix.

What a deal.

No More Gray, kernel panic, Screen. ;)

For now.....

Thanks bb

Nice oconnel.

I could never imagine that memory compatibility should be the problem since you're using OCZ stix.

But, OS X is surprise box.

We could not forget is that before going to buy other hardware, we need to test actual hardware and maybe find the solution.

Cheers,

bb.

i had a fully working system with SL except for sound using a GA-EP45-UD3L. Ethernet was working but I messed something up installing wireless drivers for a usb wifi device and could only get a set assigned IP afterwards even though the port was recognized in system profiler and the system's MAC even showed up in the router's DHCP client list.

I decided to do a full reinstall and flash Cartri's bios at the same time. I used the process in this thread and it went smooth except that the SL installer said Fail at the very end, but the system did boot up ok and I installed the special Chameleon installer on Cartri.net.

But the Ethernet port still only gets a self-assigned IP address and the port isn't recognized in System Profiler. I don't remember doing anything special to get the Ethernet working the first time but I could be remembering wrong.

Anyhow have pointers on getting Ethernet working?

i had a fully working system with SL except for sound using a GA-EP45-UD3L. Ethernet was working but I messed something up installing wireless drivers for a usb wifi device and could only get a set assigned IP afterwards even though the port was recognized in system profiler and the system's MAC even showed up in the router's DHCP client list.

I decided to do a full reinstall and flash Cartri's bios at the same time. I used the process in this thread and it went smooth except that the SL installer said Fail at the very end, but the system did boot up ok and I installed the special Chameleon installer on Cartri.net.

But the Ethernet port still only gets a self-assigned IP address and the port isn't recognized in System Profiler. I don't remember doing anything special to get the Ethernet working the first time but I could be remembering wrong.

Yeah mate, you're right.

Ethernet should work w/o problems. Mine here works this way.

Well, I have one suggestion to you... it's not a warranty that will work, but you may give it a try.

In BIOS, in the option that says to Enable Green LAN, set it to disabled. Mine here if enabled, simply doesn't work.

I hope this can help you solving your problems.

Cheers,

bb.

Ethernet should work w/o problems. Mine here works this way.

Well, I have one suggestion to you... it's not a warranty that will work, but you may give it a try.

In BIOS, in the option that says to Enable Green LAN, set it to disabled. Mine here if enabled, simply doesn't work.

yeah, i tried disabling the green LAN function in the bios and still nothing. it is really weird since it worked out of the box the first time, although on that one i hooked up the drive to my macbook and installed it from there and then transplanted the drive into the hack. the second time i used a boot cd and installed from the retail disc on the hack machine itself, but got the failure right at the end of everything.

i thought the cartri bios might help this but it doesn't. do i need to enter DSDT=cartri every time at the Chameleon screen to activate the cartri bios fixes?

yeah, i tried disabling the green LAN function in the bios and still nothing. it is really weird since it worked out of the box the first time, although on that one i hooked up the drive to my macbook and installed it from there and then transplanted the drive into the hack. the second time i used a boot cd and installed from the retail disc on the hack machine itself, but got the failure right at the end of everything.

i thought the cartri bios might help this but it doesn't. do i need to enter DSDT=cartri every time at the Chameleon screen to activate the cartri bios fixes?

No, not necessary to type DSDT=cartri everytime. Just the first one.

I don't have a clue about what can be your problem with ethernet.

What I would suggest is to download the Boot Disk provided in this forum in page 8-10 from verdant. It's better then the one provided in first post.

Try doing a fresh install using this boot disk and try to boot with it. Don't make any changes to the fresh install. Use the boot disk to boot up for the first time and then do the necessary changes to see if there's something to do with system or is something else.

Cheers,

bb.

What I would suggest is to download the Boot Disk provided in this forum in page 8-10 from verdant. It's better then the one provided in first post.

Try doing a fresh install using this boot disk and try to boot with it. Don't make any changes to the fresh install. Use the boot disk to boot up for the first time and then do the necessary changes to see if there's something to do with system or is something else.

I tried the boot disk from this post and it boots ok (tho it gets a ramdisk error i think) and i can swap the disk to the retail SL disc but when i select that and hit enter, the machine reboots and i end up at the chameleon screen from my previous install on my hard disc. i did burn to cd rather than dvd, could this actually make a difference?

argh, after days of messing with kexts and reinstalls, on the assumption that if it could detect ethernet cables, the hardware was ok, i finally pulled the box out and looked at the hardware. the only thing i could find was the cable from the rear case fan that I had bunded together with a twisty-tie was tucked down against the motherboard near the ethernet port. I moved the cable, plugged the system back in and bam, DHCP IP assigned and it's working.

The best I can figure is either the wire inside the twisty-tie was shorting something out or electromagnetic interference from the bundle of cables was just right so the port could send out but not receive back. just goes to show, anything can go wrong, no matter how unlikely. keep in mind that this system was working for over a month so something must have just shifted a bit to cause this. the thing that clued me in was when i turned on IDE and LAN Boot in the bios in a random attempt to get something to work. the system started trying to boot from LAN and showed a DHCP attempt after POST, before any OS loading. I figured that if it couldn't get DHCP before any OS was loaded, then it must be hardware.

now i have to finish my reinstall when nothing was wrong in the first place.

Anyone update to 10.6.4 with the EP45-UD3L Board and catrtris bios??

Thanks

I'm running that board with cartri bios and 10.6.4 and it works ok. I just enabled sound using the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler kexts that Breaking Bad (I think) posted. I had to put them in S/L/E because they wouldn't load from /Extra/Extensions.

However, I can't get sleep to work. I thought Cartri's BIOS was supposed to enable this automatically but when I put the system to sleep (either by Apple menu -> sleep or pushing the power button), it sleeps the disks and monitors but the video card fan kicks into high gear and doesn't stop. Then, I can't get it out of sleep using keyboard or power button and eventually end up restarting using the reset button.

In fact, I'm unclear on how to tell if Cartri's bios is really doing anything or if the OS is really connecting to it or what.

Any clues on this aspect?

So, I had some friends over and on my computer... The Software Update came up and they hit continue for some ungodly reason...

They came to me saying it was broken... In short the 10.6.4 update was installed without any prep...

What kind of stuff do I need to do to fix it??

GA-EP45-UD3L

Core 2 Quad @ 2.6Ghz

8GB RAM

160GB (Main OS), 1TB (File Storage) all SATA

DL DVD+R SATA

ATi Radeon HD4870 (Had it fully working in 10.6.3 dual DVI dual Monitors)

So, I had some friends over and on my computer... The Software Update came up and they hit continue for some ungodly reason...

They came to me saying it was broken... In short the 10.6.4 update was installed without any prep...

What kind of stuff do I need to do to fix it??

GA-EP45-UD3L

Core 2 Quad @ 2.6Ghz

8GB RAM

160GB (Main OS), 1TB (File Storage) all SATA

DL DVD+R SATA

ATi Radeon HD4870 (Had it fully working in 10.6.3 dual DVI dual Monitors)

Hi mate.

It would help a lot if you post some pix of the problem you´re facing. :)

Many things can broke your working installation. Simply updating to 10.6.4 shouldn´t be a problem if you were already using the 10.6.3. You could face problems if you were updating from 10.6 or 10.6.1...

I would bet that your broken update is something related to the GFX, since Radeon HDXXXX seems to be a little problematic.

Cheers,

bb.

• 2 weeks later...

@bb

I put my SleepEnabler.kext in the trash before upgrading to 10.6.4 and got kernel panic on reboot (sk.triaxis.kext.sleepenabler) I opened terminal to see what was in my extra/extensions.....it was fakesmc.kext and .DS_Store. I deleted DS_Store and still same kernel panic.

I erased the SleepEnabler from the trash, although I dont think this was an issue, and same kernel panic....

What should I do?

Thanks bb

@bb

I put my SleepEnabler.kext in the trash before upgrading to 10.6.4 and got kernel panic on reboot (sk.triaxis.kext.sleepenabler) I opened terminal to see what was in my extra/extensions.....it was fakesmc.kext and .DS_Store. I deleted DS_Store and still same kernel panic.

I erased the SleepEnabler from the trash, although I dont think this was an issue, and same kernel panic....

What should I do?

Thanks bb

I'd suggest you to do a fresh install using your favorite guide and when you upgrade, do it using the combo for 10.6.4 and see what happens.

the DS_Store file shouldn't be the cause of the problem, so deleting it won't change a thing. ;)

Cheers,

bb.

I'd suggest you to do a fresh install...see what happens.

Cheers,

bb.

bb -

Thanks for always helpin' out! I installed the new SleepEnabler.kext via USB stick and Terminal and then I booted ignoring cache. Everything booted fine and now running 10.6.4.

I did not want to do a fresh install and I guess I lucked out! All I have is fakesmc.kext and SleepEnabler.kext in my extensions folder and Im not sure why I need/have Sleep Enabler, but Im not complaining. :D

Happy Hackintosh Owner

bb -

Thanks for always helpin' out! I installed the new SleepEnabler.kext via USB stick and Terminal and then I booted ignoring cache. Everything booted fine and now running 10.6.4.

I did not want to do a fresh install and I guess I lucked out! All I have is fakesmc.kext and SleepEnabler.kext in my extensions folder and Im not sure why I need/have Sleep Enabler, but Im not complaining. :D

Happy Hackintosh Owner

You're welcome mate.

:wacko:

Sometimes I take sometime to answer because I was on vacation and now that I'm back I'm planning my move to another city and things are a little bit complicated here. :D

Cheers,

bb.

• 2 months later...
Wrong.... I bought the 5 user 'Upgrade" of Snow Leopard and did a fresh install with no Leopard anywhere, a blank HDD. It functions as a standard DVD.....

Hi There,

I know it's been a while since you posted this comment.

But, if I'm lucky; you'll respond.

I started my install with an [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD & MAC OSX Leopard 10.6 DVD; all went smooth.

I'm lucky, my system is up and running SOLID with all the updates (10.6.4) and that's without messing with any kext files or any of that! One thing though, I use the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD to boot my clone PC and every time my system needs to do some thinking, you can hear the CD-ROM spin reading the files, instead of the hard drive.

My signature has my hardware configuration.

I attempted several sites here and elsewhere to resolve this issue, including this one: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187906

But no luck. Do you have any idea where I can begin to look to attempt to resolve this? Any hint would be very helpful.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I have the ep45-UD3L mobo with latest bios.

I also have a ide dvd drive and a sata hard drive.

I tried changing jumpers on both drives from master to slave and vice versa.I keep getting the little square with a line through it.

I have the dvd iatkos S3 v2 snow leopard, can anyone pls help me out.I've tried everything I can think of.What am I doing wrong?

Thks

Hello, I have the ep45-UD3L mobo with latest bios.

I also have a ide dvd drive and a sata hard drive.

I tried changing jumpers on both drives from master to slave and vice versa.I keep getting the little square with a line through it.

I have the dvd iatkos S3 v2 snow leopard, can anyone pls help me out.I've tried everything I can think of.What am I doing wrong?

Thks

Have you set your BIOS to AHCI mode.........?