 [QUICK GUIDE] SHUTTLE K45/K48 running Snow Leopard

Squirrelf

285 posts in this topic

A little off-topic, but does anyone know what I need to do to get this power supply fan switched out on the K48? It is NOISY. Google is failing me.

yeah, I did it myself on a K45, and even added a controller to it, problem is I probably ran it to slow since the PSU died (melted) after about 3 months, it was still a little noisy but it was much more bearable...

know I have a standard size 300watt computer power supply sitting outside and behind the box, it's super silent, I don't even now that my computer is running... I like it that way, even though esthetically it's not as great as just a small box.

the more esthetically pleasing is the fanless power supply (micro-PSU), which the main part sits outside the box like on a laptop... problem is that it's expensive, and you'd need to get the 120watt version preferably, not the 90watt as it may not be enough depending on your HD, CPU... unless you have a power friendly CPU and power friendly laptop size HD

Can't really do the external option, I use this one as the kids' computer.

Expensive is no bueno, but I like the laptop power brick solution idea... there isn't just a simple fan swap that will quiet this thing down some?

yeah, but it's hard to find a noizeless fan, at this size fans tend to be noisy by default, replacing the fan is not to hard (not too easy either), and of course you lose the warranty on your psu by doing that

Hey Eliade,

Why is it that I can't wake my K45 from sleep? It will go to sleep but clicking the mouse to wake the machine up simply restarts it.

Did you add the code in the last DSDT so we don't have to load the IOUSBFamily.kext from /S/L/E?

Reading your previous posts I noticed that in fact it is working for you... hmmm maybe I will have to take another look at my code...

Great job like always. Keep it up!

I'll post a couple of pics when the new parts arrive. I seriously need a couple of USB ports in the front and the K45 is a no go.

I ordered a Rosewill RC-CIX-01 WI Glossy White Steel Cube Mini-ITX Computer Case from newegg and I'm planning on moving the K45 into the new case over the weekend. I need those extra USBs for computing sake! :(

Hey Eliade,

Why is it that I can't wake my K45 from sleep? It will go to sleep but clicking the mouse to wake the machine up simply restarts it.

Did you add the code in the last DSDT so we don't have to load the IOUSBFamily.kext from /S/L/E?

Reading your previous posts I noticed that in fact it is working for you... hmmm maybe I will have to take another look at my code...

Great job like always. Keep it up!

I'll post a couple of pics when the new parts arrive. I seriously need a couple of USB ports in the front and the K45 is a no go.

I ordered a Rosewill RC-CIX-01 WI Glossy White Steel Cube Mini-ITX Computer Case from newegg and I'm planning on moving the K45 into the new case over the weekend. I need those extra USBs for computing sake! :(

Netflix broke again

the fix is keep everything like my pack and add the efi string for ethernet (efi studio will generate the string)

My k45 is a web server (ubuntu server in a virtual machine) so I don't sleep it, haven't done it in a while so it may be broken again after the few minor updates

for IOUSBFamily.kext I can't remember it's been over two month from the last fix and haven't changed much since everything worked for me (except netflix a second time)

I can't even remember what IOUSBFamily is for?

cool looking :)

Thank You Eliade.

I have decided to move to the Atom 330 for certain reasons.

First, power consumption. I just ordered a new ZOTAC IONITX-F-E Intel Atom 330 motherboard and there are reports that it does run excellent.

Second, my first K45 just died after 7 months of use. Honestly I have had bad experiences with K45 boards. They do not seem to last long. That has been my experience and your millage may vary.

Third, I need minimum 2 video output in my hackintosh and the onboard GMA950 in the K45 does not offer me that option.

Fourth, my computers are on 24/7 and the ION consumes less power while it allows me to do almost anything I need (including light Photoshop) with the Atom 330)

Fifth, I'm currently running another Shuttle as a Media Center machine. With all and all, it's running a 9800GT with a core 2 Duo. I believe this is a little over powered to for a Media Center experience. The ION is capable of playing my BRRips just fine.

I do not expect to actually have the same performance when it comes to tax the CPU. I understand the atom 330 is far inferior performance wise when serious workload is to be taken into account but I have been a lot more lucky with atoms builds. They last forever...

I had such a great time with the K45 and you have done a great job making it simple for everyone that is looking forward to successfully install Leopard-Snow Leopard on this beauty. Thanks again. I hope to see you around with an atom 330. I'm willing to get you that same motherboard if you ever decide to toy with it :P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813500036

post-64173-1266819677_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am new in this, I am trying to install Snow Leopard in a SD30G2 Plus, the main difference i found with the K45 is the sound (Realtek ALC888), the Network (Marvell 88E8001) and in the SD30G2 Plus there is a IEEE1394 port (VIA VT6308). I try to follow the instructions of the first post but the only I get is a Kernel Panic running from USB, after load all the kext. I delete some kext from the Extension directory, the sound and network but the same result. I need to do a new boot file? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the great guide. I am now stuck at the "kernel Panic" thanks to the SleepEnabler. I had removed it from the USB drive when i got the panic earlier but forgot to remove it when installing Chameleon on the disk. how do i boot in safe mode from Chameleon? it brings me to the dual-boot icon of Windows/MAC and i dont know how to enable safe mode from there. help!!!

thanks for the great guide. I am now stuck at the "kernel Panic" thanks to the SleepEnabler. I had removed it from the USB drive when i got the panic earlier but forgot to remove it when installing Chameleon on the disk. how do i boot in safe mode from Chameleon? it brings me to the dual-boot icon of Windows/MAC and i dont know how to enable safe mode from there. help!!!

I think I'm in the same position you are. I had to install Chameleon with the "EFI HFS" package, as the Standard install would fail on the last step with no other information. I can get past the Chameleon boot screen, select my USB thumb drive that contains the OS X 10.6 retail DVD image, and after a few minutes I'll get an OSX kernel panic that says I need to hold down my power button and reboot. Naturally, it covers most of the screen, so I can't make out what the actual problem is.

I followed the steps in the original post closely, but wouldn't be surprised if I missed something obvious. I'm a fairly new OSX user (last time I used it a lot was years ago on by old G4 iBook). Any suggestions as to what I could have done wrong? I formatted the thumb drive with 1 partition using GUID, installed Chameleon to it ("EFI HFS" install), then restored the DVD image. I removed and replaced the Extras directory and removed SleepEnabler. I disabled IDE in the BIOS, as well as the suggested power setting. I'm running a K48, SATA hard drive, IDE DVD drive, and an E6500 dual-core processor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Did you try unplugging your computer and reset the bios? For some reason that was the thing that suddenly made the install method mentioned in this thread work for me.

BTW, does anyone know if the 10.6.3 update is safe?

BTW, does anyone know if the 10.6.3 update is safe?

For me 10.6.3 makes problems (Shuttle SK48). I used the combo update.

Kernel panic after first restart, reason was SleepEnabler.kext. Deleted it and was able to boot.

After a first test I found that also sound is NOT working.

The other "sensible topics" (LAN, monitor calibration) seem to be ok.

Presently, I have not too much time for further test & research und will go back to 10.6.2.

Maybe anyone has other/new infos/experiences?

Ref. to 10.6.3, I just found that netkas.org recommends to

- disable/delete SleepEnabler.kext und use NullCPUPM.kext, and

- use the 10.6.2 version of AppleHDA.kext if sound doesn't work.

Hope to have time for a test a.s.a.p.

DARN!

I was a little too impatient, I guess. I installed the 10.6.3 Update, and of course I got a Kernel Panic.

Deleting the SleepEnabler got me back into OSX.

Adding the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext made sound work again.

Now all that's missing is a decent sleepenabler.

NEW PACK POSTED for 10.6.3

and minor other stuff

I had such a great time with the K45 and you have done a great job making it simple for everyone that is looking forward to successfully install Leopard-Snow Leopard on this beauty. Thanks again. I hope to see you around with an atom 330. I'm willing to get you that same motherboard if you ever decide to toy with it :P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813500036

sorry for not replying earlier, very buzy these days/months

I guess the atom may be the way to go for a 24/7 computer, which is what my shuttle is doing

I run OSX(obviously) for my music jukebox (connected to a receiver and decent speakers), then as my online netflix / hulu box, but most importantly runs VMware running ubuntu server version (not GUI, pur command line) as a little webserver

so if you think it can handle that, I might actually go toward a dual core atom... instead of the celeron dual core I have now... but not yet as I'm out of money...

so this little k45 runs flawlessly for me (besides the burned power supply, now running a full size one behind the box)

but what I like the most is that it is super silent, during the day I can't tell it's running, at night in the quietest moment I might hear a very subtle almost inaudible buzz from the cpu fan...

No luck with sound on my K48. Reinstalled 10.6.2 version of AppleHDA.kext, but still no device found (neither input nor ouput).

Any use of kext utilities (kext helper, kext util, mkext tool) seems to destroy my installation (-> KP).

All other issues seem to work.

hi guys,

i have a K45SE, which was perfectly good working.

I prepared the upgrade to 10.6.3 by backing up the appleHDA.kext and looked up for the sleepenabler.kext but i wasn't able to find it!

it definitely wasn t in /system/library/extensions and i couldnt find the /EXTRA file

after reading that some doesn't have the sleepenabler i just though that it was my case.

After installation i kind of have the feeling that i had it...

A pretty kernel panic at boot.

My question is : where to find and how to delete sleepenabler from the boot?

I don't know much about the initial installation as i bough it like that.

Thanks you very much and please excuse my frenchy english ;)

EDIT : I succeed in restoring my install (thanks to clonezilla that i ran just before :)))

Where can i find sleepenabler.kext other than in /SYSTEM/LIBRARY/EXTENSIONS where i couldnt find it?

cheers

hi guys,

i have a K45SE, which was perfectly good working.

I prepared the upgrade to 10.6.3 by backing up the appleHDA.kext and looked up for the sleepenabler.kext but i wasn't able to find it!

it definitely wasn t in /system/library/extensions and i couldnt find the /EXTRA file

after reading that some doesn't have the sleepenabler i just though that it was my case.

After installation i kind of have the feeling that i had it...

A pretty kernel panic at boot.

My question is : where to find and how to delete sleepenabler from the boot?

I don't know much about the initial installation as i bough it like that.

Thanks you very much and please excuse my frenchy english :)

EDIT : I succeed in restoring my install (thanks to clonezilla that i ran just before :)))

Where can i find sleepenabler.kext other than in /SYSTEM/LIBRARY/EXTENSIONS where i couldnt find it?

cheers

pikuchu, with an installation as described in this forum thread by Eliade, a sleepenabler.kext should only be in /extra/extensions (in the root of the HD). If it's not there, your kernel panic probably has another reason.

In general you should check if your system is build in the way of this thread and compare the installation data (content of /extra, /extra/extensions etc.).

hi hank

Thanks for your quick answer. However, i feel kind of stuck in a dead-end:

at the root, i ve 4 folders :

- Applications,

- library

- system

- users

and...that's it!

Two weird things :

- the guy i bough from the shuttle told me he did it following this guide...

- the sleep perfectly works right now.

What i do not understand is how is it possible for it to work as i can't find my sleepenabler.kext?

thanks a lot for your help.

Two weird things :

- the guy i bough from the shuttle told me he did it following this guide...

- the sleep perfectly works right now.

What i do not understand is how is it possible for it to work as i can't find my sleepenabler.kext?

thanks a lot for your help.

Yes I follow this guide to install OS X on the K45se.

sleepenabler.kext should is in /extra/extensions but not in the root of the HD, not exactly, this folder is on the hidden partition EFI so you have to mount it before acceding it :lol:

Let me know if you find it and how to access it.