 [QUICK GUIDE] SHUTTLE K45/K48 running Snow Leopard

Squirrelf

285 posts in this topic

Any of you interested in a Remote Sleep/Wake mini App I just compiled together from scripts found on the net

In my case it's useful because the shuttle is not my main machine, but my printer is connected to it

the app will wake or sleep the shuttle by simply double clicking the icon that I now have it in my workstation dock

all you have to do are easy little changes to the script: mac address, ip, user name and password (shuttle must be static and user password without spaces)

you can of course duplicate the app for as many computer your may have

so if interested let me know and I'll post it

Yeah Eliade, upload it sounds handy. I could actually use it

P.S Peco, the server is back online. Link should work now

Remote SLEEP/WAKE

(with a cool icon ;) )

in the system pref of the machine you want to sleep wake, go to sharing, and activate "Remote Apple Event"

Right click -> show package content:

open the script file with applescript editor

./Content/Resources/Scripts/main/script.scpt

edit the mac address on the upper part of the script

the ip address on the upper part: 192.168.0.4 with yours

ip address on the lower part

username and password of the machine you want to sleep/wake

that's it compile and save

just run the app (if asleep it will wake up, and if awake it will sleep)

if you have more than one machine and want different icons just change the icon

./Content/Resources/applet.icns

TROUBLESHOOT (if it wake but doesn't sleep because ping test is too short):

so if it doesn't work well, increase the ping time, but will take longer to wake/sleep...

my two machines are connected via Gigabit ethernet through the same switch, so ping can be very fast for me

if ping "time to live" is to short change it , just change the -t in second in that line, now set to 1sec

set ping_result to (do shell script "ping -c 1 -t 1 192.168.0.4 2>&1; exit 0")

at the end of the script "delay" value must be at least 2 second greater than the ping "time to live" (-t)

SLEEP_WAKE_Shuttle.zip

Thanks again Yoni Yoni,

I tend to agree it's hardware, but I will test out the BIOS as a last resort. I am dubious about it being the PSU however, but only because I can delete AppleIntelGMA950.kext, and the Shuttle will run for days without a hitch. AS soon as I add that file back in, it crashes on either loginwindow, or seconds after.

Which BIOS version is everyone running?

Sorry about the link issue. My ISP is running a scheduled maintenance at the moment so my server is offline.

About the issue with your K45:

I believe the problem is not the installation but the hardware itself...

1- Make sure the k45 has proper ventilation. If it is overheating it will most likely give you that kind of problem. (Run it without the cover and check if it doesn't abruptly shutdown.

2- I've seen this behavior in K45 with a bad PSU. For some reasons it will just shutdown and light up again. Very annoying.

3- Bios Upgrade.

What a coincidence! I went to CompUSA this weekend and bought the last 2 K45 they had. They were both doing the same thing (shutdown and reboot for no reasons, apparently) I ended up returning them to the store because they were faulty.

The PSU of one of them made a weird pitch sound after every abrupt shutdown.

They were both Running the old Bios version. (The one with the Shuttle logo)

Again check temps and make sure it is not overheating.

Good luck

Remote SLEEP/WAKE

(with a cool icon ;) )

in the system pref of the machine you want to sleep wake, go to sharing, and activate "Remote Apple Event"

Right click -> show package content:

open the script file with applescript editor

./Content/Resources/Scripts/main/script.scpt

edit the mac address on the upper part of the script

the ip address on the upper part: 192.168.0.4 with yours

ip address on the lower part

username and password of the machine you want to sleep/wake

that's it compile and save

just run the app (if asleep it will wake up, and if awake it will sleep)

if you have more than one machine and want different icons just change the icon

./Content/Resources/applet.icns

TROUBLESHOOT (if it wake but doesn't sleep because ping test is too short):

so if it doesn't work well, increase the ping time, but will take longer to wake/sleep...

my two machines are connected via Gigabit ethernet through the same switch, so ping can be very fast for me

if ping "time to live" is to short change it , just change the -t in second in that line, now set to 1sec

set ping_result to (do shell script "ping -c 1 -t 1 192.168.0.4 2>&1; exit 0")

at the end of the script "delay" value must be at least 2 second greater than the ping "time to live" (-t)

SLEEP_WAKE_Shuttle.zip

Thanks Eliade

Well now, thanks for all the help. I have completely reinstalled, and followed Yoni Yoni exactly (guessed at BIOS settings as his link was broken).

Booted into SL via -s and moved the AppleIntelGMA950.kext to the desktop so I could get booted.

I then rebooted no problem, and updated to 10.6.1.

This time, I was able to boot to SL, and log in. I immediately selected "About this MAc" and was greeted with the correct info (and rotate supported, which indicated CI/QE).

10 seconds later fwap.. reboot.

I am seriously considering the possibility there is something wrong with the box.

Thanks again guys for the help, I am quite certain I am configured in the same manner as you.

Have you checked temps at all?

Did you try booting up with the AppleIntelGMA950.kext after the newer fresh install?

How about the northbridge? Is it getting too hot to the touch?

Those are things you should also take a look at. It is very weird and I know how annoying it may be. Good luck.

Thanks for the excellent tutorial.

I have a Shuttle XPC it includes G31 chipset HDMI and firewire

4 GB memory 1TB hard drive Nvidea 9400 Graphics card, Time machine backup

and an IDE LG DVD dual layer burner. I was cheep when i purchased the Shuttle and only put in a Pentium 4 Dual Core 2.5

No matter in less time than it took to read many other tutorials I'm up 100%

I Followed your directions to the letter, the only alterations I had to make ... I replaced your "Open halt file" with mine from system 10.5. so it would shut down. Most other files I required came across with my Time Machine import during the OS setup. I had to use Chameleon v2.0 RC3 because the one suggested in your tutorial did not recognize a 1TB Hard drive.

Thanks for the excellent tutorial.

I have a Shuttle XPC it includes G31 chipset HDMI and firewire

4 GB memory 1TB hard drive Nvidea 9400 Graphics card, Time machine backup

and an IDE LG DVD dual layer burner. I was cheep when i purchased the Shuttle and only put in a Pentium 4 Dual Core 2.5

No matter in less time than it took to read many other tutorials I'm up 100%

I Followed your directions to the letter, the only alterations I had to make ... I replaced your "Open halt file" with mine from system 10.5. so it would shut down. Most other files I required came across with my Time Machine import during the OS setup. I had to use Chameleon v2.0 RC3 because the one suggested in your tutorial did not recognize a 1TB Hard drive.

the installer is RC2

but the boot file included is RC3 (actually RC3 modified for even more features), so it should have recognized the 1TB

anyway glad you got your setup working very quickly

Thanks for this guide!!

Ive been away from osx86 for a while, i always had problems with my hardware, but i found a faulty K45 at work, an hour to repair it, and i was off!

The only prob i had was during install it would say failed, but turning off ide fixed that.

Im updating to 10.6.1 now, lets hope it works!

Thanks again!

This guide is awesome. Started messing around with my Shuttle last night after lurking here for a few days. I ended up with a perfectly working 10.6.1 installation. Aside from a few blunders on my part, the installation went incredibly smoothly and easily. Thanks so much for putting together such a comprehensive guide/pack for those of us that love to rock the K45.

MORE NEWS ABOUT installing on IDE HD:

I just did an install on a full IDE SYSTEM, a K48, no sata, works great

however the trick for OSX to "see" the drive during the install the drive must already have a GUID partition system; with MBR partition (problem on IDE only) the installer didn't see the drive...

You can use a IDE->USB or IDE->SATA interface temporarily, boot the installer and reformat the HD using GUID, shutdown the system connect your drive directly to IDE and boot the installer again, now you can install normally...

hey all!

first: thanks eliade for this wonderful guide!

i was usint iATKOS v7 distro until i though i need a upgrade..

i read carefully this tread but i didn't read anybody having the same problem as i do (or it's just a lack of my english skills..)

My k48 specs:

core2duo E6300

2x 1 GB ram

1x SATA HD 750 (2 partion using GUID)

1x SATA DVD-ROM

i installed successfully SL on my K48 following your guide here, but i can't boot from my internal drive:

could you explain more in detail what you do after you have successfully install and boot (using chameleon on USB drive)?

i tried serveral installation but none of it worked from internal drive boot.

1. i tried installing chameleon with "HFS" option after serveral failure with "standard" en emptied the "extra" folder and put all your mentioned file in there.

Result: no OSX set yet

2. i tried to install chameleon, but it always shows up with a "failure" at the end (i deleted again all file in "extra" and replaced it with yours) still no boot

did i miss something?

it's not your fault my guide is not very detailed, nobody had question about it until now :-)

the following info is from a clean install

(your install isn't clean anymore after trying chaemelon so many times)

either reinstall OSX and repartition the drive, simple wipe won't do it, since you tried "chameleon EFI HFS" (since you have your usb install disk it should be painless) or try to fix it, might take longuer than just reinstalling OSX...

very easy:

default chameleon install:

run chameleon just click continue... then install, don't touch the customize option...

an extra folder will be created at the root of your drive

delete it totally and replace it with the one from the zip file

then open the terminal

cd to the zip folder with the boot file (the one that came next to the chameleon installer):

most likely will be something similar to that

cd /Users/yourusername/Downloads/Chameleon\ RC2\ \&\ new\ boot\ file

then

sudo cp -f boot /

type your password and [Enter]

that's it, reboot !

MY personal choice, a little more tricky, but still very easy

chameleon install using EFI partition (EXTRA folder is not visible):

after you do that the default chameleon install won't be taken into account totally, you will have to use EFI partition method

run chameleon just click continue... click the customize option when it appears...

check "Chameleon EFI HFS", uncheck "Extras"

then click "Install"

an extra folder will be created on an Invisible Partition that we will refer to as EFI partition, unmounted by default (i.e. not visible)

we need to mount it

go to your terminal:

sudo -s

type your password and [Enter]

diskutil list

locate your had drive if you have more than one, if you have only one it will most likely be refered to as "disk0"

next I'll assume your disk is disk0, if it is another number change it respectively

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

EFI partition is now accessible in finder

go to it

drag my Extra folder on it and replace the other one

next we need to put the right boot file, if you can see a boot file in the EFI partition you can drag the one from the chameleon zip file right on it and replace, if not visible do the following

cd to the zip folder with the boot file (the one that came next to the chameleon installer):

most likely will be something similar to that

cd /Users/yourusername/Downloads/Chameleon\ RC2\ \&\ new\ boot\ file

then

sudo cp -f boot /Volumes/EFI/

almost done, YOU MUST UNMOUNT THE EFI PARTITION BEFORE REBOOTING OR IT WON"T BE ACCESSIBLE EASILY (it's not dramatic if you do, just ask me for how to access it again, I don't remember right now, it's just a specific single command line...)

to unmount the EFI partition, go back to your openned terminal windows (the same windows you use tp mount it, if you closed it just "sudo -s" first)

umount -f /Volumes/EFI
rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

that's it, reboot !

Eliade - you're the MAN!!!

fist of all: i wasn't expecting an answer in 2 days (you just answered within an hour!!)

and second IT'S WORKING!!!

copied all your files according to your guide and now, i have a 10.6 running natively on my K48!!! ;)

last question: you think i can keep updating to 10.6.1 (like the other guys tried) and further on?

EDIT: Update to 10.6.1 works fully!

my next step is to make my K48 more silent -> as much as a mac mini or an ordinary mac!

my next step is to make my K48 more silent -> as much as a mac mini or an ordinary mac!

the noizy part on my K45 was the power supply, it was absolutely horrible, more than what it was supposed to be.... high pitch etc, just unbearable...

I tried changing the fan (thus voiding the PSU warranty)

that worked for few month, wasn't silent, but bearable...

then the PSU died (left a very bad burned plastic smell), I don't know if my fan was to slow or whatever, anyway that's just the way it is...

I had an extra PSU that someone gave me few weeks before it died (came from a dead computer)...

so now I have a regular full size PSU (350watt), sitting outside of the box, I see the shuttle under my desk, but the PSU is hidden far back against the wall)

since the K45 is not pulling power, the PSU stays cool, thus silent

but this PSU is ultra silent by chance

now on the noise level, if there was no light on the front I wouldn't be able to tell if it was on or off, it is so silent, I love it...

(my workstation is another story, with 13fans it's not that quiet, but still quiet enough for having so many fans)

Does anyone have a PCI video card running in the K45 under Snow Leopard? I have a Radeon HD 2400 PCI that I bought to use the K45 as an HTPC, but I could never get it working under any Microsoft operating systems because of a driver conflict. Anybody running something similar? I haven't tried dropping it in yet, just wondered if there was any remote chance of success before I started losing sleep over it.

Does anyone have a PCI video card running in the K45 under Snow Leopard? I have a Radeon HD 2400 PCI that I bought to use the K45 as an HTPC, but I could never get it working under any Microsoft operating systems because of a driver conflict. Anybody running something similar? I haven't tried dropping it in yet, just wondered if there was any remote chance of success before I started losing sleep over it.

careful with the total watt requierement of your system

PSU will only supply 100Watt, if you pull too much Watt I don't know what will happen (in the best senario your system lags or shutdown, in worse case PSU melts and dies...)

most CPU needs 65watt

thus have 35watt left

the ati hd2400 needs about 25-35W from what I read on the internet.

that's 10 to 0 watt left for the HDD and motherboard...

as long as you don't push your system, you should be below the limit and everything should be fine...

however if you run cpu and video card a max (video game), your system may not be happy ... in that case don't be surprised if your system lags or shuts down (or even Power Supply dies in worst case)

So it's risky because it's right a the limit of the PSU capability....

if you really need the video card, if I were you I'd look for a better power supply, 120watt PSU should be enough

(look into the pico psu, google it)

for the video card compatibility with osx look at netkas.org

as he mentioned before: be aware of the total power consumption.. your PSU dies for certain (have to much of experience on that case using PCs)

i thought about using the Corsair H50 watercooling and a super silent external case fan to cool the radiator... but i'll try it with some silent CPU fans first... i'll let you know how it worked out!

Eliada, thank you very much for this guide, i bougt a K48 last monday because i noticed this guide and its working like a charm :D Now i can finally use my apple tv with iPhone and a proper Hackintosh :)

The update to 10.6.1 went fine as well.

1 Question though how much memory do you have in your boxes?

Great guide, thank you so much Eliade for your work.

Leopard was running fine on my SK45, and its now almost perfect with Snow Leopard (yeaa sleeping :)).

The only thing I see which doesn't work yet is the mute key. I think I'll survive.

Now I'm looking for a replacement for the damn noisy PSU, with a PicoPSU 90W maybe.

One question : do you down if Intel EIST works or not ?

careful with 90watt, I'd go for the 120watt (unless there's a 100 or 110)

or you do like I did, full size super silent psu in the back,

of course pico will look nicer with just a transformer ouside the box

yeah I have no idea about the mute (I can assure you it's not your keyboard), it seems it's the only board with this problem, but I suspect it's the driver

was it working for you in Leo?

if so then we need to edit the dsdt I suppose, the sound section I added (found it on the forum, but wasn't made for the shuttle it was for a gigabit board with the same sound chipset, but at least we have a nice sound)

yes for EIST, it does if you add voodoopowermini to your extra folder (in the pack under the speedstep folder)

for those who don't know: EIST = speedstep

Oops I didn't saw the kext. Thanks again, EIST now works just fine ! (checked with CpuX)

For the mute key, no it wasn't working in leo neither. Not a big loss anyway.

And about the sleeping, I was wondering if is there is a way to make the k45 sleeping or to display the Sleep/Reboot/Restart menu by pressing the box power button ?