 [QUICK GUIDE] SHUTTLE K45/K48 running Snow Leopard

Squirrelf

285 posts in this topic

Ok Hank61, do you want to mean that the BootCD work for You ?

With it I can boot to my HDD (Ubuntu 9.10 or now iATKOS V7) but I can't start the Snow Leopard Retail Install DVD, it see it, I select it (via chamelon screen) but instead of launching it, it boot to my HDD.

I finally succeded on installing IATKOS V7 in my K45se (tested USB/LAN/Sound working, shut down not working) but my goal is still Snow Leopard retail Install from the Install DVD I bought.

So now I'll try to install via USB method (perharps via external USD HDD as I don't how a USB Stick of 8Go). But I think I'll found some probleme as I can't boot on my Ubuntu Live USB (9.04 on a 1Go USB Stick) with my K45se (whar do you choose as first bott device in Bios, mine is version F and I can choos USB FDD, USB Cdrom, USB Zip, ....).

Thank you evrybody for your help, after reading a lot I start to understand the Kext, DSDT and other (a bit but it's new for me and very interesting).

try this one !

LegacyBootCD.iso_2.zip

this one is supposedly the old style boot132, with the lastest pack of kext

so if it works this disk will be able to boot 10.6.0 up to 10.6.2

New pack is snow leo 10.6.2 compatible

key factor is to use

http://files.netkas.org/10.6.2/SleepEnabler.kext.zip

instead of the one we had before

just repace the file and install the update using "software update"

after the update you may have to set you sound output/input again in the system pref

enjoy

Just for info: I started with replacing SleepEnabler.kext and rebooted without 10.6.2 update - and got kernel panic.

2nd try: I reinstalled all /extra content with Eliades pack, disabled (put aside) SleepEnabler.kext and rebooted. Update to 10.6.2 with combo update, before rebooting re-enabled SleepEnabler.kext and rebooted - voilá!

I don't know if I had any old/incompatible /extra content or if the fact FIRST to reboot WITHOUT SleepEnabler.kext and THEN updating was the point (this is what netkas points out on his page and is not so clear in this thread).

Again, thanks to Eliade!

Just for info: I started with replacing SleepEnabler.kext and rebooted without 10.6.2 update - and got kernel panic.

2nd try: I reinstalled all /extra content with Eliades pack, disabled (put aside) SleepEnabler.kext and rebooted. Update to 10.6.2 with combo update, before rebooting re-enabled SleepEnabler.kext and rebooted - voilá!

I don't know if I had any old/incompatible /extra content or if the fact FIRST to reboot WITHOUT SleepEnabler.kext and THEN updating was the point (this is what netkas points out on his page and is not so clear in this thread).

Again, thanks to Eliade!

no you don't have to reboot first with the new sleepenabler because I was able to simply change the sleep enabler and install the update without rebooting first... (on 3 computers)

the only old kext that I can think of that might have caused the panic would have been an older fakesmc (from the very first pack I posted)

anyway all I really care about is that the latest pack I uploaded is indeed compatible

so my recommendation to everyone is to use the newest pack only...

try this one !

LegacyBootCD.iso_2.zip

this one is supposedly the old style boot132, with the lastest pack of kext

so if it works this disk will be able to boot 10.6.0 up to 10.6.2

Thanks Eliade but still same result (tried -v et -f too), see the SL OSX DVD but boot on my Leopard HDD instead of the DVD.

So another probleme with tis K45se, I can't boot from à USB Stick, only choice in bios are USB-FDD, USB-CDROM, USB-ZIP ......... :)

I'll become mad

Edit November 13 : OK I boot on USB Stick (not easy to do this, you shoul reboot 2 to 3 times to make it possible). So as my USB stick is only 4Gb for the bigger, I'll buy and 8Gb stick and test the USB method and let you know.

Thanks Eliade but still same result (tried -v et -f too), see the SL OSX DVD but boot on my Leopard HDD instead of the DVD.

So another probleme with tis K45se, I can't boot from à USB Stick, only choice in bios are USB-FDD, USB-CDROM, USB-ZIP ......... :wacko:

I'll become mad

Tried this out (K48) - now there is a correct option for booting from SL install DVD. Seems to boot from CD/DVD, but stops with a kernel panic (something with the SleepEnabler.kext, obviously the original one in /S/L/E).

GREAT !

Tried this out (K48) - now there is a correct option for booting from SL install DVD. Seems to boot from CD/DVD, but stops with a kernel panic (something with the SleepEnabler.kext, obviously the original one in /S/L/E).

one thing I didn't think about, that may solve everything

some booter need arch=i386 to boot in 32bit

but older booter used -x32

and one of the kext (don't know which one) we are using is known to make 64bit kernel unusable

I only had arch=i386 on the boot cd

so I'm going to remove sleepenabler (seems to create to much problem and we don't need sleep to install osx, or just to test new kext) and have both -x32 and arch=i386 so that 32 bit will hopefully work (the other flag will be ignored)

this one has only the mkext, no Extensions folder

SHUTTLE_K45_K48___SnowLeo___BootCD.iso.zip

only if the first one doesn't work (because the first one can be directly hosted on insanelymac):

this one is identical with the mkext but still has the Extensions folder

http://uppit.com/v/NC9H0W6C

GREAT !

one thing I didn't think about, that may solve everything

some booter need arch=i386 to boot in 32bit

but older booter used -x32

and one of the kext (don't know which one) we are using is known to make 64bit kernel unusable

I only had arch=i386 on the boot cd

so I'm going to remove sleepenabler (seems to create to much problem and we don't need sleep to install osx, or just to test new kext) and have both -x32 and arch=i386 so that 32 bit will hopefully work (the other flag will be ignored)

this one has only the mkext, no Extensions folder

SHUTTLE_K45_K48___SnowLeo___BootCD.iso.zip

only if the first one doesn't work (because the first one can be directly hosted on insanelymac):

this one is identical with the mkext but still has the Extensions folder

http://uppit.com/v/NC9H0W6C

Thanks Eliade.

I'm restoring OSX Install DVD on a 8Gb I just bought ;-)

I installed Chameleon first (deteled boot installed and move the boot you gave instead, via AppleShownAllFiles in terminal).

And all you kext placed in the Extension folder in Extra folder.

Should I keep the kext put by Chameleon instaler in this Extension folder.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks Eliade.

I'm restoring OSX Install DVD on a 8Gb I just bought ;-)

I installed Chameleon first (deteled boot installed and move the boot you gave instead, via AppleShownAllFiles in terminal).

And all you kext placed in the Extension folder in Extra folder.

Should I keep the kext put by Chameleon instaler in this Extension folder.

Thanks a lot.

no delete the mkext (if there's one) and the extensions folder created my chameleon, and use my extensions folder

actually, you can simply delete the extra folder in its entirety and use mine, just drag and drop mine at the same place where the "old" one was

no delete the mkext (if there's one) and the extensions folder created my chameleon, and use my extensions folder

I deleted the kext created by chameleon leaving only yours.

I not deleted the mkext (I'll do it when I'll install Chameleon on the hard drive).

I boot on my USB stick an KP, thus I can read Sleep..... an as you mention it I keep back on my USB stick to delete y the SleepEnabler.kext.

I boot on the USB Stick and directly arrive at Install, so partionned the HDD (GUI as mentioned) an sucesssfuly install SL (as I can read this message with the green tag).

Then I reboot (keeping the USB stick in place) and same Installation DVD (no choice to choose).

Thus I read that Chameleon countdown may be the cause and I'll try by holding the up arrow and let you know.

Thank you for your help.

I deleted the kext created by chameleon leaving only yours.

I not deleted the mkext (I'll do it when I'll install Chameleon on the hard drive).

I boot on my USB stick an KP, thus I can read Sleep..... an as you mention it I keep back on my USB stick to delete y the SleepEnabler.kext.

I boot on the USB Stick and directly arrive at Install, so partionned the HDD (GUI as mentioned) an sucesssfuly install SL (as I can read this message with the green tag).

Then I reboot (keeping the USB stick in place) and same Installation DVD (no choice to choose).

Thus I read that Chameleon countdown may be the cause and I'll try by holding the up arrow and let you know.

Thank you for your help.

NO you really MUST delete the mkext created by chameleon first because you are in leopard, and because it will conflict with the kext in the Extensions folder since this mkext was not created from the content of the snow leo kext folder from my pack but from kext used by your Leopard install, you are almost sure of getting KP that way,

unless by chance only the extension folder is loaded and the mkext discarded, but that's a silly risk to take...

NO you really MUST delete the mkext created by chameleon first because you are in leopard, and because it will conflict with the kext in the Extensions folder since this mkext was not created from the content of the snow leo kext folder from my pack but from kext used by your Leopard install, you are almost sure of getting KP that way,

unless by chance only the extension folder is loaded and the mkext discarded, but that's a silly risk to take...

First off all, the key to boot in the HDD as mentionned is to hold the up arrow key.

Second the SL Install work (ethernet, sound, usb, shutdown tested and OK, my CPU seems not been identified well I think because the smbios.plist is 'eliade' and should be customized for me).

I tried to install Chameleon on HDD but installation failed (reported by Chamelon installer).

I noticed that I have one folder Extra (at the root of HDD) and a folder (hided) .chameleon (with folder Extra in it with the Kexts). And as I'm so stupid I place the SleepEnablerKext in, so KP so I reinstall SL but wihtout Chamelon on the HDD (instead I boot with the USB Stick).

Is it normal that installation of Chameleon failed in the the HDD ?

And is it normal to have this hidden folder .chameleon with Extra folder in it ?

If you install Chameleon on your HDD and for one raison, a kext induce a KP, haw you solve it (as you can't enter in SL due to the KP).

And last question but I dont' think it's link to install : sound seems to work (for example when I send some folder to the trash, a sound arrive) but no sound when I watch a videon on the web, no sound when playing a MP3 via iTunes and no sound when reading a DivX via VLC. Can you give a direction to locking for ?

And thanks Eliade (and others) with your help I was able to install Snow Leopard on my K45se.

First off all, the key to boot in the HDD as mentionned is to hold the up arrow key.

Second the SL Install work (ethernet, sound, usb, shutdown tested and OK, my CPU seems not been identified well I think because the smbios.plist is 'eliade' and should be customized for me).

I tried to install Chameleon on HDD but installation failed (reported by Chamelon installer).

I noticed that I have one folder Extra (at the root of HDD) and a folder (hided) .chameleon (with folder Extra in it with the Kexts). And as I'm so stupid I place the SleepEnablerKext in, so KP so I reinstall SL but wihtout Chamelon on the HDD (instead I boot with the USB Stick).

And is it normal to have this hidden folder .chameleon with Extra folder in it ?

If you install Chameleon on your HDD and for one raison, a kext induce a KP, haw you solve it (as you can't enter in SL due to the KP).

And last question but I dont' think it's link to install : sound seems to work (for example when I send some folder to the trash, a sound arrive) but no sound when I watch a videon on the web, no sound when playing a MP3 via iTunes and no sound when reading a DivX via VLC. Can you give a direction to locking for ?

And thanks Eliade (and others) with your help I was able to install Snow Leopard on my K45se.

Thymallus, just some hints:

- I don't have a hidden chameleon folder in the root of my visible HDD. The main thing of the chameleon install is to install a hidden partition (EFI), but with a correct chameleon install you normally don't have to manage anything on that partition (but depends a bit on the way to install the whole system). Since you have a working "USB EFI" (otherwise you could not boot from it), there is not too much risk simply to reinstall Chameleon. Be careful to choose the correct target volume (HDD not USB!) and the option "Chameleon standard", no extras!

- Sound: if you can hear finder action sounds (trash), your sound should be set up correctly. Please recheck audio settings in System preferences and volume settings in the audio applications. Do you get all options in the system preferences (output: internal/headphones/digital - input: microphone/line-in)?

- Where do you find "Eliade" in smbios.plist? It's neither in content nor in version info ...

Thanks for your repleis Hank61

- I don't have a hidden chameleon folder in the root of my visible HDD. The main thing of the chameleon install is to install a hidden partition (EFI), but with a correct chameleon install you normally don't have to manage anything on that partition (but depends a bit on the way to install the whole system). Since you have a working "USB EFI" (otherwise you could not boot from it), there is not too much risk simply to reinstall Chameleon. Be careful to choose the correct target volume (HDD not USB!) and the option "Chameleon standard", no extras!

It's what I did (Chameleon standard) and thus I'find strange for that .chamelon hidden folder.

I had the message 'install failed' from chameleon installer, it's why I start to look in the hidden features to see whta was made.

- Sound: if you can hear finder action sounds (trash), your sound should be set up correctly. Please recheck audio settings in System preferences and volume settings in the audio applications. Do you get all options in the system preferences (output: internal/headphones/digital - input: microphone/line-in)?
I'll re-check this evening and let you know.

- Where do you find "Eliade" in smbios.plist? It's neither in content nor in version info ...
I mean in the 'Eliade' smbios.plist as I place the smbiso.plist found on his package on the extra folder (I think it's for taht reason that the CPU shown is 2.4Ghz instead of 2.93Ghz for my Core 2 Duo E7500). But I'm a newbie on OSX Hack so .........

the reason you have to press the arrow to boot the hdd, usng the usb storage, is because I always forget to change the timeout when I upload a new pack (I've set it to 1sec on my machine, when it should be at least 5 to see the chameleon countdown, which you only really need when installing snow leopard)

did you format your disk when you installed snow leopard

otherwise it is only doing an update over leopard...and maybe even repartition your drive again

(even if you have 1 partition and only want one) to have an absolutely blank drive.

and as I told you totally erase the extra folder created by chameleon and replace it with mine

your cpu is isn't shown in 10.6.0 will maybe be shown in 10.6.2 (happened to me on my workstation because the Q6600 was never used by Apple so it shown as Unknown even in leopard, but in 10.6.2 is started showing as quad xeon), on the k45 I have a e6600 and always showed up as 2.4 intel cpu

or something like that.

in smbios all you may have to change is ram speed and cpu speed, but that won't change the fact that it is shown as unknown, the rest you can keep it the way it is, I made our hackintosh a mac mini

my recommendation is start your install over, now that you have a working usb install drive you can easily reinstall OSX, and repartition your drive (as GUID if it isn't that way yet)

the reason you have to press the arrow to boot the hdd, usng the usb storage, is because I always forget to change the timeout when I upload a new pack (I've set it to 1sec on my machine, when it should be at least 5 to see the chameleon countdown, which you only really need when installing snow leopard)

did you format your disk when you installed snow leopard

otherwise it is only doing an update over leopard...and maybe even repartition your drive again

(even if you have 1 partition and only want one) to have an absolutely blank drive.

and as I told you totally erase the extra folder created by chameleon and replace it with mine

your cpu is isn't shown in 10.6.0 will maybe be shown in 10.6.2 (happened to me on my workstation because the Q6600 was never used by Apple so it shown as Unknown even in leopard, but in 10.6.2 is started showing as quad xeon), on the k45 I have a e6600 and always showed up as 2.4 intel cpu

or something like that.

in smbios all you may have to change is ram speed and cpu speed, but that won't change the fact that it is shown as unknown, the rest you can keep it the way it is, I made our hackintosh a mac mini

my recommendation is start your install over, now that you have a working usb install drive you can easily reinstall OSX, and repartition your drive (as GUID if it isn't that way yet)

Yes I choose GUID and HFS+ (in disk utility before installing for the second time).

I'll retry this evening, thanks.

Edit 11/17/2009 : Done. Erased my disk (0 on all, take one hour to complete). Then I partitionned it GUID HFS+ (only one partition), reinstall Snow Leopard on it, reboot.

Set Snow Leopard an then run Chameleon install package.

Same think install failed (and still .chameleon hidden folder with Extra folder in it, plus Extra folder no hidden and boot hidden file at the root of my disk ;) .

Same think install failed (and still .chameleon hidden folder with Extra folder in it, plus Extra folder no hidden and boot hidden file at the root of my disk :censored2: .

Thymallus, did you try installing Chameleon both with booting from USB Stick and booting from SL HDD? I remember I had some troubles when installing onto other than startup disk, but never had problems when installing on startup disk. Thus, if you CAN boot from your SL HDD, try installing Chameleon from there (normally no need to select target volume; startup volume is default).

Thymallus, did you try installing Chameleon both with booting from USB Stick and booting from SL HDD? I remember I had some troubles when installing onto other than startup disk, but never had problems when installing on startup disk. Thus, if you CAN boot from your SL HDD, try installing Chameleon from there (normally no need to select target volume; startup volume is default).

I installed Chameleon easy on USB Install Stick (from Leopard) and on another USB Stick (from Snow Leopard, don't remember if I had 'Install failed', but this stick work) and on my HDD from Snow Leopard (my first Install).

Now I reinstalled SL (after having partitonned my HDD) but had the 'Installation failed' when installing it on my HDD (try a couple of time with or without reinstalling SL).

But I can boot on my Snow Leopard without the USB Stick so Chameelon seems to be installed well, it's only the message that alerted me and the .chameleon folder with Extra folder in it (thus as mentioned are hidden files, as the boot files and a third file I dont' remember name, must set 'defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 1' in the terminal to see it).

I remember there is SATA1 and SATA3 port on the motherboard, and my HDD is perharps not on the good SATA port, do you think this change things ?

I installed Chameleon easy on USB Install Stick (from Leopard) and on another USB Stick (from Snow Leopard, don't remember if I had 'Install failed', but this stick work) and on my HDD from Snow Leopard (my first Install).

Now I reinstalled SL (after having partitonned my HDD) but had the 'Installation failed' when installing it on my HDD (try a couple of time with or without reinstalling SL).

But I can boot on my Snow Leopard without the USB Stick so Chameelon seems to be installed well, it's only the message that alerted me and the .chameleon folder with Extra folder in it (thus as mentioned are hidden files, as the boot files and a third file I dont' remember name, must set 'defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 1' in the terminal to see it).

I remember there is SATA1 and SATA3 port on the motherboard, and my HDD is perharps not on the good SATA port, do you think this change things ?

you really didn't need to 0 out everything

repartitioning and format will be enough

well as long as it was installed even partially and is working, there's no worries then, just replace the extra folder with mine and the supplied boot file, which I suppose you did since it is working,

the fact that it works means the most important files where installed and that's all you really need.

chameleon always have hidden files

did you try installing chameleon with "HFS EFI" option...

in the worst case you can do the chameleon install manually, never did it myself, because the installer always worked, except once install failed onto EFI partition, full reformat and repartitioning solved my problem...

I don't think sata 1 or 3 will change anything but sure try it....

repartitioning and format will be enough

Ok for partitioning via the Disk Utility (I've done it) but how (on what screen) you format ?

chameleon always have hidden files
Thanks (it's surprising as for manual installation it seems you only need to install boot0, boot1h and copy file boot, plus create the folder Extra at the root).

did you try installing chameleon with "HFS EFI" option...

Not yet, I'm a noob and this seems a little hardier (as you must mount partition and other).

You seems to rather like this option, but why ? (because it's hidden after ?).

Ok for partitioning via the Disk Utility (I've done it) but how (on what screen) you format ?

Thanks (it's surprising as for manual installation it seems you only need to install boot0, boot1h and copy file boot, plus create the folder Extra at the root).

Not yet, I'm a noob and this seems a little hardier (as you must mount partition and other).

You seems to rather like this option, but why ? (because it's hidden after ?).

erase = format, also in disk utility

when you repartition it also formats it

so not problem there

so when you installed chameleon the boot0 boot1h where installed so you can disacrd the error message, that's all the installer does for a standard install

so I no worries you have a working machine :-)

hidden makes it nicer :-)

in short: with chameleon on EFI you can resinstall OSX on the same partition without the need of bootcd or usbinstall disk, you just use the retail OSX like with a real mac...

long version:

if one day you need to reinstall OSX (wil never happen, osx doesn't slow down over time like windows did with at least XP) you don't have to reinstall chameleon, you won't need a bootcd

nor a usb install disk, you can boot the retail DVD directly with the installed chameleon (EFI or not)

then in the installer instead or repartitioning all you do is erase the partition (so actually select the partition when you do that) with OSX and you can then install again (if you repartition the disk, chameleon on EFI will be wiped out too, so don't do it)

but after the install done chameleon on the EFI will boot OSX as if you where on a real mac...

If your chameleon wasn't on the EFI then it is wiped out, and you don't have a way to boot your fresh OSX, you will need a bootcd or a usb install disk

For those how want netflix "watch now" feature

you'll notice it is not working in the current setup following my guide

You get DRM error

all that is needed to do (thanks to the chameleon RC2 and RC3)

add the follwing line to your boot.plist:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Thank Eliade

10.6.2 is running fine using your help

I Try installing Chameleon on EFI (starting with the installer) and standard (by hand).

The two work fine (except that on EFI the batch to install mkext not work fine).

How do you make Extensions.mkext ?

Is it necessaray to have it in the extra folder ?

And two question about commands :

sudo cp -f boot /

sudo cp -f boot /Volumes/EFI/

What means the '-f' option ?

Is it indispensable ?

umount -f /Volumes/EFI
  rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

Why 'rm -rf /Volumes/EFI' ?

This 'delete' the EFI folder ?

Seems to work without passing this command.

Thanks

Eric

Thank Eliade

10.6.2 is running fine using your help

I Try installing Chameleon on EFI (starting with the installer) and standard (by hand).

The two work fine (except that on EFI the batch to install mkext not work fine).

How do you make Extensions.mkext ?

Is it necessaray to have it in the extra folder ?

And two question about commands :

What means the '-f' option ?

Is it indispensable ?

Why 'rm -rf /Volumes/EFI' ?

This 'delete' the EFI folder ?

Seems to work without passing this command.

Thanks

Eric

Hi Eric,

I believe the -f is some sort of verification, it is not required.

U remove the folder EFI from the Volumes folder. I take it u unmounted first?