 [QUICK GUIDE] SHUTTLE K45/K48 running Snow Leopard

Squirrelf

285 posts in this topic

take a picture of when it stops and post it

possibly try the old 10.6.2 kext pack (still on the first post) for the 10.6.0 install

then when ready to update to 10.6.4 use the 10.6.4 kext pack

and for 10.6.0 install keep the chameleon RC2

and only when ready to install 10.6.4 use the RC4 boot file

but I think the rc4 should work on all versions

and don't use sleepenabler at all, at least not until you have a good 10.6.4 stable system (well besides sleep obviously)

let me know

Thanks for your answers I am now back to a working virgin 10.6.0.

I know have to try and update to 10.6.4 without screwing this all up.

I also need to add the ability to sleep - the computer not me !.

Do I need to install 10.6.1 then 10.6.2?

Or can I go straight to 10.6.4 via the combo update?

I will try and follow your guide again to get to 10.6.4.

Thanks again for your help !

Regards

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

ok all, thanks to all your help i am just about there.

I now have a 10.6.4 system that sleeps etc.

however, i do not have sound and I have the ALC662.kext in extensions and I have copied the 10.6.2 applehda.kext to system/library/extensions and then run the kext utlility.

When OSX boots it moans about sound errors and there is no sound device in preferences.

Can anyone help me fix this please?

Regards

Ian

ignore me.

I have just gone through the stages again and sound is now working !

Excellent

I hope the 10.6.5 update will be easy.

Thanks All

Ian

Installed 10.6.5 update today (combo update/K48).

No (new) problems, just the following two things:

1. Edit the kernel flags section in com.apple.Boot.plist:

from

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386</string>

to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386 pmVersion=21</string>

2. Run the update

3. Re-install AppleHDA.kext (in /S/L/E) from 10.6.2 just as with the latest two updates

(also the 10.6.5 AppleHDA.kext is not working).

Sound, LAN, USB, IDE, Monitor profiles and sleep is all working.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Eliade,

Your post gave me courage to try putting Snow Leopard on my Shuttle K48. I'm a mac newbie and I'm having a bit of trouble. I have a SATA drive. I upgraded my BIOS to sk48u108.bin and my disk is being found. My problem is no network.

As I said, I'm a newbie so I'll outline exactly what I've done. First, I set VGABIOS if S3 Resume to NO, then I downloaded [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].zip (which from the screenshots seems to be a version of chameleon - I got it at http://www.tonymacx86.com/Public/[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].zip). I used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to get the install started from the snow leopard disk. (I have a Snow Leopard CD version 10.6.3.

The machine appears to install correctly. The install logs show only a few cases of 'Did not move file' for some files that didn't exist; however, the network hardware isn't recognized. After downloading and installing the 10.6.5 upgrade and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], it boots fine from the hard disk. Just no network.

The lights where the ethernet cable plugs in are flashing, but no connection!

I'm afraid I don't really understand the instructions you gave around the USB install. What is the extra folder?

Is there anyway to save the install log so I might be able to find out what is really going wrong?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

--Len

• 2 weeks later...

Eliade,

I've just used your 10.6.4 package. Thanks for a great package. I would never have gotten OSX onto my shuttle without it.

I followed your instructions and got things working almost perfectly; audio, network, .... Everything but sleep and I suspect that that would work if I knew where to put the kext's.

This time I started out putting everything in /Extra/Extensions since in the zip that's where you have them. This didn't work for me. I ended up with ALC662.kext and fakesmc.kext in EE and the rest in SLE. Is this right or should more go into EE? Perhaps SleepEnabler.kext?

Any pointers with sleep would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have a 64 bit machine but so far I haven't used the 64 bit com.apple.Boot.plist so I'm running 32 bits. I was a bit concerned about the comments you made about Sleep in 64 bit. I've had a bunch of problems (and numerous reinstallations) that seemed to be due to 64 bit problems and AppleRTC.

What is the best thing to do w.r.t. 64 bits?

Thanks.

--Len

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there any way you could re-write these directions to make them easy and step by step?

I'm sorry to say that they are very confusing. I currently have my K45 running 10.5.8 using Yoni's old website, which is now gone.

Luckily, I saved the contents.

I'm afraid to tamper with a working system, unless I'm sure it will work.

I have a K45 and a Legal, purchased Snow Leopard upgrade. I had to sell my Mac Mini, and I'd like to use my K45 while I save for either a Macbook or a new Mini in the future.

So, real clear step-by-step directions would be helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

My Shuttle died... :)

I think the motherboard has a problem... fan will start running and after about 5 seconds will stop, and nothing is displayed on monitor, not even post message...

I unfortunately don't have the money to buy another K45... I do have all the other components now just laying on a shelve... :)

so unless I manage to get another K45 I can't post anymore packs...

Eliade

My Shuttle died... :)

I think the motherboard has a problem... fan will start running and after about 5 seconds will stop, and nothing is displayed on monitor, not even post message...

I unfortunately don't have the money to buy another K45... I do have all the other components now just laying on a shelve... :)

so unless I manage to get another K45 I can't post anymore packs...

Eliade

I'm sorry to hear that news. I'm really upset that Shuttle discontinued these units. I wanted to get a couple more to use as a server and a media PC.

They don't seem to show up on eBay all that often either.

I hope you'll be able to fix it in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Shuttle K48 with all-IDE internal drives (the Shuttle K48's two SATA ports are reserved for eSATA use).

ALC662 support by Voodoo (32-/64-bit version). Marvell 88E8056 supported by the usual hacking of the 88E8053 device in the plist (see attachment).

Note, the GMA950 device is 32-bit only, and booting the OS into 64-bit, while it DOES work, the GMA950's resolutions are necessarily limited to 1024 x 768. However, if the OS is booted into 32-bit (arch=i386), then all resolutions are available, and so also are CI and QE. Naturally, even though the OS is running 32-bit, the applications may still run 32- or 64-bit. Indeed, Firefox 4 runs 64-bit by default, and you will have to restart it into 32-bit to run Netflix "Watch Instantly".

The required DSDT is a major hack of the Shuttle one, mainly to fix all the USB device issues (see attachment). At the same time, I brought the DSDT up to current "MacOS friendly" level.

Installation method:

1) [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + 10.6.3 "retail" DVD,

2) User DSDT specified,

3) Voodoo 32-/64-bit specified,

4) 32-bit com.apple.Boot.plist specified,

5) Apply 10.6.7 Combo Update, and, finally,

6) Restart into 10.6.7.

Presently running 10.6.7 with all software updates, and with updated Developer code, too.

2011_03_22E_Shuttle_K48_dsdt.aml.zip

Marvell_88E8056_Changes_to_IONetworkingFamily.zip

I'm attaching fully-commented versions (dsl and aml) of the Rev. E Shuttle K48 DSDT.

For this documentary purpose, I am calling this Rev. X, although it is really Rev. E, but with extensive comments.

This is a HUGE hack and fixes all known problems with the Shuttle K48 and Snow Leopard up to and including 10.6.7.

The intention, here, is to provide guidance for others who are also hacking ill-designed Award BIOS DSDTs, possibly for non-Shuttles.

Remember: the GMA950 device is 32-bit, only, in order to obtain full acceleration and all resolutions. 64-bit will give you no acceleration and 1024 x 768, only. The applications may run 64-bit, of course.

Also remember: the optical and hard devices are on the PATA channel. For this to be most effective, a fast optical device is highly recommended. 22x should be fine. A hand-me-down Pioneer DVR-110, say, from an old G4 Mac will probably be too slow. The SATA channels are reserved for eSATA uses.

2011_03_22X_Shuttle_dsdt.aml.zip

2011_03_22X_Shuttle_dsdt.dsl.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
For some reason the sleepenabler included in this pack still gave me kernel panics under 10.6.7, and so did all the older versions I still had.

This one works though:

http://nawcom.com/SleepEnabler.kext.10.6.7.zip

Is this a different sleepenabler?

yes they are different (both seems to work)

I don't have KP with the one I've put in the pack, neither sleep issues

you probably need pmversion=21 as a kernel flag in your boot.plist (check the one in my pack)

• 2 weeks later...

backup applehda.kext from S/L/E just in case

right before you start updating

edit the com.apple.plist,

the pmVersion should be 23

everything else can stay the same

then install as if it was a real mac

after the install you may have to fix applehda again to have sound working, drag it in S/L/E and run kext utility to fix permissions

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

:D

THE SHUTTLE K45 is a nice little machine, rather osx friendly, but it is the second one that dies on me (no post... ram and cpu working just fine, tested in another motherboard...), first one lived for over a year, however the second one only lived for a few months... same issue... just no post... (I believe the problems are blown capacitors)

I was excited to install OSX lion on it, but due to the circumstance, it is not going to happen...

the guide will remain available for snow leopard, but I won't update it, since I don't have a working K45

So I'm going to say goodbye to this topic, I will still be on insanleymac, the K45 was only a side machine, my main machine a GA-EP45-UD3R, is about as old as my first shuttle, but still alive and running osx very happily with a now slightly older quad (q6600)...

You all take care and enjoy life !!!

THE SHUTTLE K45 is a nice little machine, rather osx friendly, but it is the second one that dies on me (no post... ram and cpu working just fine, tested in another motherboard...), first one lived for over a year, however the second one only lived for a few months... same issue... just no post...

I was excited to install OSX lion on it, but due to the circumstance, it is not going to happen...

the guide will remain available for snow leopard, but I won't update it, since I don't have a working K45

So I'm going to say goodbye to this topic, I will still be on insanleymac, the K45 was only a side machine, my main machine a GA-EP45-UD3R, is about as old as my first shuttle, but still alive and running osx very happily with a now slightly older quad (q6600)...

You all take care and enjoy life !!!

Maybe they both have bad caps?

Check out this thread: http://us.shuttle.com/scgforum/tm.aspx?m=3...;key=ಌ

Maybe they both have bad caps?

Check out this thread: http://us.shuttle.com/scgforum/tm.aspx?m=3...;key=ಌ

I'm sure they do, thanks for the link !!! well now there is hope

(btw I have lion running on my ga-ep45-ud3r yippi)

after reading that post on blow capacitor, I know it is the problem...

thankfully not the same capacitor between the two K45, 8 are blown on the newer K45, but only 1 on the older K45 (a different one), so if one capacitor exchange can revive at least one k45 that would be great... I lost my soldering iron, so unless I find it tonight or tomorrow, I'll go buy a new one and start working in it next week... then will order new caps for the second k45, only problem is I don't have another cpu or ram to run the second k45

well you might all see me back very soon...