 [QUICK GUIDE] SHUTTLE K45/K48 running Snow Leopard

Squirrelf

285 posts in this topic

Hi Eric,

I believe the -f is some sort of verification, it is not required.

U remove the folder EFI from the Volumes folder. I take it u unmounted first?

Thanks Allasia

rm -rf /Volumes/EFI => remove folder EFI from /Volumes.

Did this remove the folder or the folder and his content ?

com.apple.applefscompressiontypezlib load succeeded

hi elide thanks for your guide very helpfull.

now i update 10.6.2 and install facesmc 2.5 and sleepenabler kexts

but i still get com.apple.applefscompressiontypezlib load succeeded

still waitting root divice

ple help me

thanks again.

Is any of you using the intel E5200 with the K45 or K48?

Thanks Allasia

rm -rf /Volumes/EFI => remove folder EFI from /Volumes.

Did this remove the folder or the folder and his content ?

the f in both command means force I think, if the file is in use or locked somehow this will force the delete

-r means recursive, it deletes the folder itself and its content

if you try to delete a folder and you don't have -r, you will get an error that say this is not a file but a folder (or something like that)

about:

rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

when you mount the EFI partition

you have to first create a folder were the content of the partition will go

when you are done playing with that partition you need unmount it, by then the EFI folder is empty

then you need to delete the EFI folder to keep things clean

this how Unix/linux works with hard drive and partition, so that's how OSX work too...

usually when you shutdown the folder gets unmounted automatically by the system

it does, but then somehow you won't be able to mount it again after a reboot, OSX locks it

there's a simple command to unlock it if you do....

so better unmount it manually yourself

hi eliade thanks for your guide very helpfull.

ple help me

thanks again.

that's strange...

well the problem is not com.apple.applefscompressiontypezlib, since it is loaded successfully, it's whatever come right after that

do you have a dvd drive, if so try booting without it?

so you are saying that it worked up to 10.6.1 without a problem?

hi elide thanks for your guide very helpfull.

ple help me

thanks again. still waiting root divice

long story short I have to temporarily use an intel e5200, not in the supported list (at the exception of the latest version of the k45, not my case)

and this CPU doesn't wan't to boot with sleepenabler

so if you have a KP at boot this is most likely the cause of it, just remove it from the Extra/Extensions folder

this is probably due to the fact that it is not a supported CPU

and I strongly recommend NOT to use a CPU that is not on the supported list

so this shows how a CPU can change if a kext is supported or not

as far as as I know the major difference between the e5200 and the e6600 is the support of Virtualization Technology

the rest of the architecture should be same (circuit size and speed should have no effect about that matter, it would just be faster and cooler)

as a result, VMware won't run in 64bit anymore (I have a 64bit ubuntu webserver to host my websites)

anyway I'll soon get my e6600 back

Problem here. My Shuttle was running OSX 10.6.2 perfectly, and since yesterday, without any reason, the boot hangs at this laconic state :

plantage.jpg

(this is the single user boot screen, but the normal boot give the same)

I reinstalled Mac OS X 10.6 : the setup runs fine, but the first boot hangs at the same state. I have NO idea why !

For my new installation, I used the Chameleon and the kexts given in the first post.

try without sleepenabler and let me know

just noticed you have the e5200

as I wrote just above switching from e6600 to e5200: sleep enabler wasn't working on the exact same setup KP at boot, only thing I did is switched the CPUs...

on a K48 (my step mom's) the 5200 was a nightmare, sometime the computer wouldn't boot, and lately the clock was not keeping up, so I gave her my e6600 and now I'm temporarily using the e5200

unlike me it is her main computer, on my k45 I don't care about speed as long as I can play movies...

My K45 seems to be working fine with the e5200 but I need intel virtualization technology in order to use vmware with a 64bit system (ubuntu 64)

so I'm going for an e3200 for $50 new (cheapest CPU with intel virtualization technology otherwise I would have chosen the e6500 but it was $50 extra), only difference is 1MB of L2 cache instead of 4MB everything else is the same as the e6600

then if my fried gigabyte motherboard gets repaired for free (6 month later I just realized I might be able to use the warranty instead of siting half dead in a cardboard box) then I'll build a new computer with the e5200... and sell it

same without sleepenabler

can't understand why it doesn't want to boot while the setup partition runs just fine

the thing is i didn't touched anything, everything worked perfectly, and yesterday with no reason, it fails

crazy idea I just had, could you download the 10.6.2 combo update, open the dmg and put the MacOSXUpdCombo.pkg on a flash drive, if you don't have a mac to open the dmg, just put the dmg onto the flash drive (you'll probably be able to mount it using the disk utility that's on the osx installer)

Boot into the osx installer, (mount the dmg with disk utility), then using the terminal run the combo update .pkg

it will be located in /Volumes/[flashdrivename]/MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.2.pkg

the command "open" will open and run the pkg

if you where able to mount it with disk utility then the command probably will be

open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ 10.6.2\ Update\ Combo/MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.2.pkg

then just install the combo update again

don't forget to set the install location correctly

that's worth a shot

if it still doesn't solve the problem, then I would reinstall OSX again

if you have stuff to backup and didn't have time machine running or another mac to dump your data, you can copy your entire user folder and application folder onto a big enough USB flash or hard drive with the terminal within the osx installer

just use the command

cp -r [source] [destination]

(-r is needed to copy folder, remove it to copy single file)

your hard drive and your flash drive will be both under /Volumes/...

use the "ls" command to list the content of a folder

[tab key] to autocomplete

I removed the battery on the mainboard, i reformated the hard drive 2 times (mbr FAT partition then guid HFS+) and.. it now works..

I wondered.. I connected a 2,5" SATA drive on the mainboard just before the problem appeared, 3 days ago.. I did it while the K45 was running, which may be the source of the problem.. I don't know.

(this hard drive was defective, some smart errors..).

Anyway, thank you again and again Eliade for your efforts :(

K48 brain damaged ....

I have a K48 that I am trying to run this on. It is currently running 10.5.8 perfectly.

If I boot from the CD it boots up then gets to the point that you load the snow dvd ... put in the dvd and it goes for a few seconds then the whole machine reboots.

Same thing happens if I use the usb instructions ... after chameleon loads and it starts to boot the snow image on the usb stick it reboots itself.

it looks like it's kernel panicing somwhere then forcing the whole machine to reboot.

K48 brain damaged ....

I have a K48 that I am trying to run this on. It is currently running 10.5.8 perfectly.

If I boot from the CD it boots up then gets to the point that you load the snow dvd ... put in the dvd and it goes for a few seconds then the whole machine reboots.

Same thing happens if I use the usb instructions ... after chameleon loads and it starts to boot the snow image on the usb stick it reboots itself.

it looks like it's kernel panicing somwhere then forcing the whole machine to reboot.

Yeah I tried the boot cd on one K48 did the same thing

however I was able to install it without a problem with the usb method

I think I found the problem

on the earlier pack I didn't have sleepenabler, and I think it is the cause of the reboot

so just remove sleepenabler from the package, once the install done try to see if it works with sleepenabler, but always keep your usb boot without it....

(I noticed that sleepenabler may work on some CPU but not all , on my machine I had an e6600 and sleepenabler worked great, then all I did is replace the cpu with an e5200 and sleepenabler would not let my machine boot to OSX, by removing I had no more problems)

however without sleepenabler the machine may not go to sleep properly

my k45 is a server so I never shut it down and never sleep it

I just found that myself ... THANKS ... that is exactly what the problem was. It was scrolling by so fast before it rebooted itself I had to get my digital camera out and record the video so I could slomo it to read :rolleyes:

All is installing as it should now.

Yeah I tried the boot cd on one K48 did the same thing

however I was able to install it without a problem with the usb method

I think I found the problem

on the earlier pack I didn't have sleepenabler, and I think it is the cause of the reboot

so just remove sleepenabler from the package, once the install done try to see if it works with sleepenabler, but always keep your usb boot without it....

(I noticed that sleepenabler may work on some CPU but not all , on my machine I had an e6600 and sleepenabler worked great, then all I did is replace the cpu with an e5200 and sleepenabler would not let my machine boot to OSX, by removing I had no more problems)

however without sleepenabler the machine may not go to sleep properly

my k45 is a server so I never shut it down and never sleep it

I just found that myself ... THANKS ... that is exactly what the problem was. It was scrolling by so fast before it rebooted itself I had to get my digital camera out and record the video so I could slomo it to read :rolleyes:

All is installing as it should now.

great !!!

All,

I as able to do a retail install just fine using the packs provided. I'm wondering, though (and have searched, to no avail), why the K48 is limited to 32 bit mode only? I have an E5300 in mine, and when I edited the com.apple.Boot.plist to take out the arch=i386 flag, I got KP on reboot...

I truly am sorry if this has been covered; I've been unable to find anything on it, and am most appreciative of any constructive input.

Hi

Yeah there's something with the machine itself, I know for sure that's it's not from the kext in my package, my guess is that the machine is not in AHCI mode, I didn't see any optioin about that in the bios...

my guess is that laptop may have a similar problem, thus ptobably already have a kext to fix that and be able to run in 64bit...

but 64bit won't be a big improvement on a K45/K48 because ram is limited to 3.25GB. of course 64bit program run faster than a 32bit equivalent, but 32bit kernel can already run 64bit apps (unlike windows 32bit) so no improvement on that side...

so I'm not breaking my head over that... but if you want to search for a way to run 64bit you are welcome, and if you have any questions just ask here.

first thing is boot with -v to see all the possible faulty kext and serach google for similar issues.

to test 64bit I recommend you only boot with:

fakesmc, openhaltrestart, Nullcpupowermanagement

and whatever extra kext you find to fix the problem

only after you can boot 64bit add the other kext from the pack, one by one and hope all of them are 64bit compatible, if one is not 64bit let me know

so if you go on that qwest, good luck, and don't hesitate to ask any question here...

I tried the boot CD method as I dont have a USB stick big enough.

Boot CD starts, insert OSX Snow Leopard DVD - press F5, select it from the boot menu, it starts to load, then crashes and PC reboots 8(

I have an E7500 2.93GHz Core2 Duo and 2GB RAM in my K45.

Is this likely to be an issue with the boot loader or some hardware in the K45?

Just wanna say Thank You!

I installed 10.6.2 on my K48, and except for sleep, everything works perfectly!

Sleep problem might be due to the unsupported CPU, which is a Pentium Dualcore E6300 2,8 GHz (not the old coreduo with similar name). Always gives me the infamous kernel panic.

This baby outperforms my 1,83 C2D Mac Mini by miles and my unibody macbook by a little bit (except for graphics heavy stuff, the more modern graphics on the macbook are superior in that section).

If I could only get sleep to work, it would be perfect. But its 99 Percent now, and that's quite alright for me :wacko:

Oh, and BTW. Boot CD didn't work for me either, so I just got me an 8GB stick and everything was fine.

I tried the boot CD method as I dont have a USB stick big enough.

Boot CD starts, insert OSX Snow Leopard DVD - press F5, select it from the boot menu, it starts to load, then crashes and PC reboots 8(

I have an E7500 2.93GHz Core2 Duo and 2GB RAM in my K45.

Is this likely to be an issue with the boot loader or some hardware in the K45?

no I think I know the problem I just haven't had time to make a new one

I think it's sleepenabler, needs to be removed from the cd

if you haven't done so you may want to disable IDE in the bios

for some reason my machine won't boot with IDE enabled even though I have IOATAFamily...

(on the other hand the K48 with e6600 is IDE only and works perfectly well with IOATAFamily, nothing makes sense anymore...)

try this one first

SHUTTLE_K45_K48___SnowLeo___BootCD.zip

then if it doesn't work this one

SHUTTLE_K45_K48___SnowLeo___Boot132.zip

let me know

Just wanna say Thank You!

I installed 10.6.2 on my K48, and except for sleep, everything works perfectly!

Sleep problem might be due to the unsupported CPU, which is a Pentium Dualcore E6300 2,8 GHz (not the old coreduo with similar name). Always gives me the infamous kernel panic.

This baby outperforms my 1,83 C2D Mac Mini by miles and my unibody macbook by a little bit (except for graphics heavy stuff, the more modern graphics on the macbook are superior in that section).

If I could only get sleep to work, it would be perfect. But its 99 Percent now, and that's quite alright for me ;)

Oh, and BTW. Boot CD didn't work for me either, so I just got me an 8GB stick and everything was fine.

This is strange

I received my e3200 (1MB of L2 cache) overclocked it at 2.7Ghz, and really is just as fast as my old e6600 (4MB of L2 cache), I'm glad I didn't put the money into the e6500 (2MB of L2), $50 extra for an added 1MB of L2 with not noticeable improvement over 2MB or even 4MB of L2 makes it very expensive... or makes the e3200 a very good deal...

and didn't realise I hadn't tried sleepenabler yet

so just tried it and I do have the same issue... (like I had with the e5200)

the interesting thing is that the KP is the same KP when trying 64bit (with or without sleepenabler), so something needs to be fixed... but what...

more interestingly is that those CPU are not supposed to be that different from an e6600, on which sleepenabler worked perfectly (64bit did not), other people on this thread have sleep working in 10.6.2 ...

I wonder if it could be the new bios file or the new fakesmc

because sleep worked perfectly well on a k48 with the e5200 on 10.6.1

edit

EUREKA

I think I know, and it makes sense

the DSDT posted was made on the "older" architecture like e6600 and so

the newer CPU like the e5200 e3200 e6300 probably need a new DSDT made specifically for them....

and for some reason my computer won't boot with IDE enabled

even though I have IOATAfamily

could also be related to the dsdt

because the K48 with e6600 is an IDE only machine and works perfectly well