 [QUICK GUIDE] SHUTTLE K45/K48 running Snow Leopard

Squirrelf

285 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All.

I can't install osx with strange trouble. Create USB disc, disable S3 in BIOS, then boot from this this disk. I have "MacBook Pro MacOS Intall DVD" with 10.6 from my mac laptop.

All OK, opened graph interface, select language and after that i get error:

"MacOS X can't be installed on this computer."

That is all :( In Installer Log I have messages:

Opening OSInstall package '/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg'

Installation Checks Failed.

Installation Checks Failures:

Not Loading AirPort MenuExtra because this machine does not have wireles networking available.

It's true, on my K45 no AirPort. How can I fix there?

Hi All.

I can't install osx with strange trouble. Create USB disc, disable S3 in BIOS, then boot from this this disk. I have "MacBook Pro MacOS Intall DVD" with 10.6 from my mac laptop.

All OK, opened graph interface, select language and after that i get error:

"MacOS X can't be installed on this computer."

That is all ;) In Installer Log I have messages:

Opening OSInstall package '/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg'

Installation Checks Failed.

Installation Checks Failures:

Not Loading AirPort MenuExtra because this machine does not have wireles networking available.

It's true, on my K45 no AirPort. How can I fix there?

ChipFindNet, you need a retail DVD, not a disc included in any Mac. These are only usable for installation on the type of Macs they were included.

A big hello to all K45/48 Hackintosh users!

I am just about to order my components for a K45 but I would really appreciate some help from the experts for my final selection, so please have patience with a bearbones newbie! I'm building this to replace my old G4MDD and will certainly be using your guide Eliade (you really are a legend)!

Firstly, I have a current HD in my G4, which is ATA or IDE. Will this be ok for my main HD? If not, does the manufacturer matter or is any SATA fine?

Secondly, if I want to install iAtkos or similar, can I do so with a usb connected dvd drive?

Thirdly, is fitting the slim drive a big undertaking? Do I need any extra cables?

Fourthly, please can you all help with my processor selection? Will any of the core2duos work or are there any that work better than others with OSX?

Finally, do I need any extra fans etc? Or is the K45 ready to go in this respect?

I would really appreciate any responses and wisdom you can offer me!

Best to all,

MonkeySkittles

A big hello to all K45/48 Hackintosh users!

I am just about to order my components for a K45 but I would really appreciate some help from the experts for my final selection, so please have patience with a bearbones newbie! I'm building this to replace my old G4MDD and will certainly be using your guide Eliade (you really are a legend)!

Firstly, I have a current HD in my G4, which is ATA or IDE. Will this be ok for my main HD? If not, does the manufacturer matter or is any SATA fine?

Secondly, if I want to install iAtkos or similar, can I do so with a usb connected dvd drive?

Thirdly, is fitting the slim drive a big undertaking? Do I need any extra cables?

Fourthly, please can you all help with my processor selection? Will any of the core2duos work or are there any that work better than others with OSX?

Finally, do I need any extra fans etc? Or is the K45 ready to go in this respect?

I would really appreciate any responses and wisdom you can offer me!

Best to all,

MonkeySkittles

1. No problem to use an IDE/ATA drive, although a SATA will be slightly faster (in theory).

2. Eliade's guide is optimized to a so-called vanilla install withe original retail install DVD. I recommend to go this way instaed of iAtkos or similar, as the here discussed system is nearly perfect ...

3. Don' t know, have a K48 ...

4. Nearly all Core2Duo CPUs should work (I have a 7200, which is not officially sold any more). But look through this thread; Eliade mentioned ione model making some difficulties (as far as I remember).

5. You shouldn't need any extra fans.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a slight problem.

I can get as far as the Mac OS X Installer, where I choose my installation language, then after that it says "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer".

Anyone know what the problem is?

EDIT:

ChipFindNet, you need a retail DVD, not a disc included in any Mac. These are only usable for installation on the type of Macs they were included.

Ah, I guess this is the problem :wacko:

• 1 month later...

Hi... I need some help. I installed using the guide and got it working perfectly. However, when I installed 10.6.3 and rebooted it went to a black screen on boot. I even tried on -v -x -s options, and it shows the extensions loading but then goes to a black screen and just sits there...

Any ideas?

I made use SleepEnabler was cleaned out of /Extra/Extensions and /S/L/E. Also tried NullCPUPM in /Extra/Extensions

An update:

I decided to make a DSDT from scratch using all the info here, except I left the sleep portion out just to test... (also not using sleepenabler.kext)

I updated to 10.6.1, all was well... everything 100% working. Then updated to 10.6.2 and now KP on boot. Ideas? hmm .

Usually KP on update boot is SleepEnabler

10.6.4 update:

I updated to 10.6.4 - following hints:

The SleepEnabler.kext (Extras folder) for 10.6.3 panics; you have to use this one:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196466

Maybe Eliade can put it to an updated package?

The AppleHDA.kext (S/L/E folder) of 10.6.2 is still needed and must be re-installed after updating.

SleepEnabler_10.6.4.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I need some help, I have followed the quick guide for k45 hackintosh but am stuck. I have an 8gb usb formatted journaled extended, copied the 10.6.3 Chameleon bootloader and extras, removed the sleep ktext. Using a retail 10.6.3 disk I do the restore and boot from the usb. I see the loader doing its thing then the screen goes black and thats it. I am sure its a kernel thing and not sure what to do. Do I need to preformat the drive I am installing to with guid and mbr?

Josh

• 1 month later...

Very, very cool stuff - I'm almost there and need a little nudge.

I can boot off the thumb drive which has chameleon RC4 on it, select the main hard drive and boot to 10.6.0.

The main hard drive has Chameleon RC2 on it and won't boot all the way.

I have tried everything I can to install Chameleon RC4 onto the hard drive, and while I don't get any errors when I copy boot, fdisk boot0 and dd boot1h, the main hard drive still shows Chameleon RC2 when I boot (and then won't boot all the way).

Any ideas on what may be preventing RC4 from installing over RC2 (I'm afraid to upgrade to 10.6.4 until I get the RC4 upgrade working on Chameleon).

Thanks,

Andrew

Very, very cool stuff - I'm almost there and need a little nudge.

I can boot off the thumb drive which has chameleon RC4 on it, select the main hard drive and boot to 10.6.0.

The main hard drive has Chameleon RC2 on it and won't boot all the way.

I have tried everything I can to install Chameleon RC4 onto the hard drive, and while I don't get any errors when I copy boot, fdisk boot0 and dd boot1h, the main hard drive still shows Chameleon RC2 when I boot (and then won't boot all the way).

Any ideas on what may be preventing RC4 from installing over RC2 (I'm afraid to upgrade to 10.6.4 until I get the RC4 upgrade working on Chameleon).

Thanks,

Andrew

Did you follow Eliade's instructions on page 1 of this thread and are stuck on Step 5 for the USB install method?

If so, I strongly suggest following his super detail instructions later in the thread (see link below). I had to in order to get OSX to boot from the hd. I would also advise using RC2 that he specifies in his orginal instructions with 10.6.0 install to maintain compatabilty.

Once you have the hd boot nailed down, continue to follow the thread chronologically for updating to newer versions.

Let me know how it goes

Quoted from Eliade's Instructions from Page 1 of this thread:

STEP FIVE : FINAL STEPS

- once on the desktop install chameleon RC2 with modified boot file (use the terminal without quotes "sudo cp [location of boot file] /")

(super detail explanation of that step later in the thead: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...&p=1310284)

- empty the Extra folder and copy the content of mine (same one as on the "install OSX" drive)

- you can change the chameleon "timeout" in the come.apple.boot.plist...

- DSDT in the pack should work on any K45/K48 and any BIOS version

- now you can boot directly on the internal HD ...

- in your system pref set it to "Internal Speaker", and use the green jack... Enjoy

Did you follow Eliade's instructions on page 1 of this thread and are stuck on Step 5 for the USB install method?

If so, I strongly suggest following his super detail instructions later in the thread (see link below). I had to in order to get OSX to boot from the hd. I would also advise using RC2 that he specifies in his orginal instructions with 10.6.0 install to maintain compatabilty.

Once you have the hd boot nailed down, continue to follow the thread chronologically for updating to newer versions.

Let me know how it goes

- once on the desktop install chameleon RC2 with modified boot file (use the terminal without quotes "sudo cp [location of boot file] /")

(super detail explanation of that step later in the thead: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...&p=1310284)

- empty the Extra folder and copy the content of mine (same one as on the "install OSX" drive)

- in your system pref set it to "Internal Speaker", and use the green jack... Enjoy

Thanks.

After booting off the thumb drive, I ran Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg against the hard drive but got a fail error at the end.

I then:

1. sudo cp'd the boot file that was in the same folder as the pkg file to the root (/)

2. copied the files in the Shuttle K45/K48->10.6.3 - Mar13 2010 ->Extra folder to the hard drive's Extra folder

Can boot from the thumb drive, but not the hard drive.

Andrew

Let me know how it goes

Thanks.

After booting off the thumb drive, I ran Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg against the hard drive but got a fail error at the end.

I then:

1. sudo cp'd the boot file that was in the same folder as the pkg file to the root (/)

2. copied the files in the Shuttle K45/K48::10.6.3 - Mar13 2010::Extra folder to the hard drive's Extra folder

Can boot from the thumb drive, but not the hard drive.

Andrew

Where is AppleHDA found? If I didn't back it up before upgrading from 10.6.0 to 10.6.3, where can I get it?

Can I just apply the ALC662.kext to restore sound?

Thanks,

Andrew

SF, you need ALC662.kext in /Extra/Extensions and the original ApplaHDA.kext of 10.6.2 (Version #1.7.9a4 in file info) in System/Library/Extensions. You can extract it either from a 10.6.2 update (with Pacifist) or find it with Google (also on InsanelyMac).

• 3 weeks later...

odd whenever I try to boot into 32bit mode on 10.6.4, it gives me a grey screen after loading the initial stuff

switch it back to 64bit mode and it goes back into the desktop again

anyone else having this problem?

not the system in my quote, just a simple k45 board + e6400, 2gb memory and a sata hard disk, nothing else

edit; working now, was just the dsdt included on the first page

repatched it with the gma950 fix using dsdteditor tool, found some 10.6.2 applehda kexts and everythings working as it should on 10.6.4 :rolleyes:

edit2; thought I should mention, video doesn't seem to work with any sort of adapter(analog to dvi)

only straight analog cables to monitors appears to work

using an adapter results in a grey screen after the loading screen with no desktop

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was skeptical about 10.6.4 especially about sound, but it actually is one of the easiest update, as long as you followed my guide, if sound worked in 10.6.3 with my method, then it will work in 10.6.4 (the update doesn't change appleHDA in S/L/E)

a little reminder:

sound in 10.6.3 should be the combination of the alc662.kext in E/E

and original AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2 put into the S/L/E Folder

and run kext utility

So if this is how you have sound in 10.6.3 then the update will NOT break sound... Isn't that nice !!!

=================================================================

IF YOU HAVE FOLLOWED MY GUIDE TO THE LETTER THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO UPDATE TO 10.6.4 (from a working 10.6.3)

=================================================================

BEFORE you update you need to replace Sleepenabler (located in E/E) with a 10.6.4 compatible version which you can download here:

SleepEnabler_10.6.4.zip

(came from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196466)

once this is replaced all you do is UPDATE and reboot

and all will be fine if you have the exact same setup as I have, just by following my guide...

====================================================================

... if sound worked in 10.6.3 with my method, then it will work in 10.6.4 (the update doesn't change appleHDA in S/L/E) ...

So if this is how you have sound in 10.6.3 then the update will NOT break sound... Isn't that nice !!! ...

Hi Eliade,

thanks for updating. However, the 10.6.4 update DID break sound on my K48, I had to reinstall 10.6.2 applehda.kext. Maybe there are diffences between direct and combo update.

Just for info to anyone who has problems after 10.6.4 update.

• 2 weeks later...

Guru's help please.

I yesterday followed the instructions and installed 10.6.0 onto my K45 using the USB method.

However even though it worked and I did perfrom a Combo upgrade to 10.6.4, and this did not work.

On booting the K45, the HD would just hang at the black screen with text on it.

OK I thought lets just start again so - CMOS reset, and started again formatted drive etc etc.

Once OSX is installed and I reboot - press ESC and choose internal Hard drive, again system boots and hangs on the text again.

I have re-installed 4 times now and I cannot get any further - What is going on?

Also is there a simple guide on what to do to get to 10.6.4 from 10.6.0 as downloading the update seems to have killed everything.

Also I see Chameleon have RC4, how do I use this over the RC2 that was provided at the beginning.

Following your guide I got there first time, but now I am stuck.

Please help.

Regards

Ian

Ian,

getting 10.6.0 to works is good, for that did you use the 10.6.4 pack? if it did work with it it's even better!

Let me know if it is the case!

as for installing RC4 over RC2 it was in the how to, I know it's not obvious but it is there ;)

here is the piece of the how to related to the RC2 and modified boot file (meaning the RC4 boot file, simply named "boot"):

let me make an actual working example that you can do to translate

sudo cp [location of boot file] /

it should be easy to follow (do that in 10.6.0 before the combo update)

create a new folder at the root of your mac HDD, call it "bootfile"

copy (simple click and drag to the folder) the RC4 boot file into it (called "boot")

open terminal

and type (or copy/paste)

sudo cp /bootfile/boot /

it will ask for password, and press enter

and that is it, next time you reboot it will use the RC4 one, so just do that before doing the combo update to 10.6.4

in english it means:

- sudo means administrator power, thus asking you for your password, to write over protected files

- cp stands for copy

- the / means that we are pointing to the location of a file starting from the root of the HDD, and not form the current folder

- so /bootfile/boot points to the file that needs to be copied

- and the ending / points to the location of the destination, in this case at the root of the HDD.

Don't hesitate to ask if there's another problem or if the instruction aren't clear enough !

Hi Eliade,

thanks for updating. However, the 10.6.4 update DID break sound on my K48, I had to reinstall 10.6.2 applehda.kext. Maybe there are diffences between direct and combo update.

Just for info to anyone who has problems after 10.6.4 update.

As you said the combo replaced the applehda (most likely because it is considering that it is a file that was updated since 10.6.0 thus to make sure everybody is up to date they decided to simply write over it even if it is the same version, like updating from 10.6.3)

but from 10.6.3 the simple direct update is aware that the file is the same thus no need to include it in the package to save space.

good to know thanks!

Thanks for the reply.

Firstly i used the two files in your how to.

namely the Shuttlek45.zip and the Chameleon RC2-RC4 boot file.

I copied on the boot file after installing the RC2-r640 pack.

I removed the sleep-enabler for the install.

However, my biggest problem is that even after formatting the SATA drive and clearing the CMOS

on booting a cleanly install 10.6.0 the system hangs.

I press ESC choose the USB disk...press up arrow then select my hard drive and the system starts to boot - very small writing for two screens. Then the writing is bigger and will nearly fill the screen and just stops. thats it nothing !!

I have re-formatted- re-done the USB stick- it will not work again.

That is where I need help - Why does the install not work any more??

Any ideas on how I can find the problem

Appreciate your response

Ian