 [QUICK GUIDE] SHUTTLE K45/K48 running Snow Leopard

Squirrelf

285 posts in this topic

What can I say: Thanks a lot! Sleep now works perfectly.

I ran into a little trouble though, because with the Extras folder from your new pack, IOATAfamily gave me kernel panic. I replaced it with the version from your previous pack, and now the machine boots beautiully, sleep mode works and so does my ATA DVD-Drive.

Great! Now I have an almost perfect extra OSX machine, all it still needs is a nice remote control. But I still have a wiimote and a bluetooth dongle somewhere :-)

What can I say: Thanks a lot! Sleep now works perfectly.

I ran into a little trouble though, because with the Extras folder from your new pack, IOATAfamily gave me kernel panic. I replaced it with the version from your previous pack, and now the machine boots beautiully, sleep mode works and so does my ATA DVD-Drive.

Great! Now I have an almost perfect extra OSX machine, all it still needs is a nice remote control. But I still have a wiimote and a bluetooth dongle somewhere :-)

can you send me the ioatafamily please

thanks

edit

strange

my new pack works perfectly well on full IDE HD/DVD, K48 on 10.6.2, with e6600

but will panic my K45 on 10.6.2 (sata HD only, no DVD) with e3200, whether I use the new IOata or an old one I have

(but I can disable IDE in the BIOS, to still boot my system without any problem, but I'd still like to understand to have a better pack next time)

maybe a dsdt issue

the old one will boot the OSX installer however (10.6.0)

so maybe you have a different one I deleted

edit again

i found another one

works on my k45 where two other one didn't

use this one now

IOATAFamily.kext.zip

can someone with ide device try

then i'll make a new pack

if someone is interested in 64bit but limited graphic support i have the answer

limited to 1024x768

display won't sleep

but there is some acceleration support

the reason 64bit doesn't work is due to the graphic fix in the dsdt

so i'll upload the dsdt for 64bit if interested

and before 10.6.2 the kext for gma950 was 32 bit only

so you must be on 10.6.2

edit

EVEN BETTER

little modification to dsdt (found on the forum)

now 64bit works almost perfectly, only issue is sleeping the display (it will just freeze the image until you move the mouse)

but you still get full resolution and everything

the dsdt will be in the new pack as soon as I figure out that ioata problem

Hmmm.....

Your IOATAfamily for some reason still does not work for me. Anyway, the one I extracted from one of your previous packs works. See attachment. Maybe there's something funky about my system, so I guess someone else should try it too. Maybe it's some BIOS setting or even the version? I used the settings in the screenshots that have been linked somewhere in this thread, but my bios options are a little different, it's probably a newer version.

IOATAFamily.kext.zip

NEW PACK IS UP

(32bit by default)

New DSDT (64bit support, graphic fix was the problem)

better working IOATAFAMILY, should work on all machine, unlike the previous pack

Some 64bit compatibility

Monitor sleep doesn't work, but minor

DON"T SLEEP THE MACHINE in 64bit

Personally I'm staying on 32bit until that monitor issue is resolved by apple on hopefully 10.6.3

I use sleep display all the time

I cant boot the Snow installer from USB, or more precise: It fails before the GUI

I have followed the instructions and used the boot file and Extra/ from dec. 13. I must have done something wrong, but I cant see what. For most attempts to boot the install USB i have used boot args arch=i386 -v -f

I can see the kext loading messages. Before the "last page" the screen resets from "almost black" to "console black" (the font changes too). Right after the mac-adress shows, the screen goes gray, and "hangs". No apple, no spinning cursor. Just gray.

The machine (Shuttle K48, E7500, 2G DDR, 1TB HD + DVD (both sata)) "works" with iDeneb 10.5.8 lite.

Have used the dec. 13 DSDT. The kernel prints some warnings that seem to be related to the Graphics Card. Dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi.* (screen attached)

Thanks for all the good work! - A thread like this is almost like a site in it self :-)

post-531400-1260890924_thumb.jpg

never boot with "-f" in snow leo

in leo it wasn't a problem, it was actually useful on my workstation

but in snow leo it doesn't react the same way and cause more problems...

try again and see if it hangs at the same place

just boot with "arch=i386 -v"

and since you have only sata you can disable IDE in the bios, that will minimize some problems

if it is not disabled you must use the ioatafamily or it will KP (obviously not your problem)

after a sleep failure my machine hanged at about the same place even after reboot shutdown...

however disconecting the power supply from the power source for 15sec would solve the hang problem

besides hang from sleep failure I've never had a problem like you have...

anyway try disconnecting the power supply from power for 15sec even if it is not from sleep failure it could be a equivalent cause for a hang during boot

Only after all that try my old DSDT

OLD_DSDT_no_64bit.zip

this dsdt is not as good as the new one, but still works very well in 32bit, I've been using it since September until two days ago

if you find the problem later try the new dsdt again since it is better

EDIT : did you change the boot file !!!!

I just realized that's exactly the problem you would get with the chameleon RC2 boot file

It must absolutely be RC3 or RC4 (located right next to the rc2 installer)

Many thanks! I followed your [instructions]...

1:[never boot with "-f" in snow leo] OK: using args: "arch=i386 -v" Result: identical hang.

2:[only sata [...] disable IDE] OK: Disabled IDE in BIOS Result: Still hangs.

3:[disconecting the power supply from the power source for 15sec would solve the hang problem]

This explains another problem the other day. I failed several times trying to re-install iDeneb. I was about to give up and started searching for a solution from another machine. My daughter then "reclaimed" the power socket from the shuttle back to the reading-lamp (for doing homework). I went to the garage to find a multi-socket "powerstrip", connected the shuttle and everything worked... Now I know why! Thanks!

OK: Disconnected the shuttle for a long time, cleared the CMOS with JP9, Changed the S3 setting and disabled IDE in BIOS again. Result: Still hangs.

4:[try my old DSDT] OK. Result: Still hangs.

5: [change the boot file!]

OK. Checked into this:

$ pwd

/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD

$ strings boot | grep RC4

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC4 r684

... so this is correct ... but, do i have other boot files?

$ find . -name boot

./boot

./usr/standalone/i386/boot

hmm...

$ strings usr/standalone/i386/boot | grep RC

RCBA disabled; cannot force enable HPET

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC2 r640

...the bootfile installed by the RC2 in usr/standalone/i386/ seems to be the RC2 bootfile.

...so i did this to make sure the RC2 boot wasnt used:

# tar cf standalone.tar standalone && rm -r standalone

Result: Still hangs.

If my motherboard is not some exotic variant, or there are hardware problems, I start to suspect that there is a problem with the Snow install volume as it exists on the USB stick. I will check this and report back.

PS. Looks like i have a new warning is shown near the end of the messages "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagemnt) timed out" - but it could also be that i didnt notice because of the verbosity when booting before with -f.

PS. Do the values in smbios.plist have to be exact in regards to the ram etc?

Hi Everybody

Seems someone try the Chamelon RC4.

What about the SleepEnablerkext ? (need to reuse the old on or the specific for SL 10.6.2 work)

RC4 should bring some news about CPU detection, so what about the PlatformUUID.kext (should keep it or trash it) and the smbios.plis (should delete the line relative to CPU or no).

iStat wasn't working before (for me), did it work with te RC4 ?

Thank you for the help.

Out of subjetct : I have no Extensions.mkext in my Extra folder. Should I put one and for what reason (to accelerate Boot ?). How can I do it ? (my Extra folder and other are on the hidden 'EFI' partition)

the new pack is made for RC4

and as you'll see I did removed platform UUID (and the UUID from smbios.plist)

I kept the 10.6.2 sleepenabler, supposetly I read that the old works too, but I haven't tried it, what I know is that since my change of cpu from e6600 to e5200 sleepenabler stopped working then went to e3200 (especially for vitualization tech) and sleepenabler still wasn't working,

however as soon as I replaced the boot with RC4 sleepenabler worked perfectly well again with th e3200 (overclocked to 2.7Ghz from 2.4Ghz)

the last Fakesmc (also in the pack) helped a lot too as it made cpu detection on my workstation, it use to be unknown cpu now I have xeon quad showing (even though it's a core 2 quad), so silverlight will install without fuss.

the shuttle always saw a core 2 duo in the about theis mac with the e6600 at least (when I chaged cpu I already had the newer fakesmc)

on the shuttle, geekbench sees my system (at least with e3200) as a real mac mini, not a hackintosh (however that was with chameleon rc3)

istat seems to works well on my workstation, but on the shuttle I have difference of 10C from one core to the other, as you know the cooler socket is offset from the actual CPU, only the ICE cooler from shuttle is well built for the K45 (which I don't have) so I thought that was the problem after changing cpu, but if I reboot in the bios the difference in temperature from core1 to core2 is less than 3C

my guess is that temp is right but label is wrong, the temp on core one is probably the CPU temp vs Core temp, which I know on my workstation is about a 10C difference, the CPU being about 10C lower than the hottest core...

on my workstation istats shows me only core1 and core 2 even though I have a quad, but temps seems right

I don't use the mkext, there are new kext too often and the shuttle works perfectly well without the mkext

(not an option on my workstation, the jmicronata kext as the name says is for ATA/IDE must be either in S/L/E which I don't want or if it is in extra it must be in an mkext to works, and extensions folder must be deleted or renamed)

but if you want to do it

copy your extra folder at the root of your OSX partition, run kextutility

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647

it will recreate the cache of the system, which won't harm anything

but it will also create a cache (mkext) from the Extra/Extension located at the root of your osx partition into the Extra folder

when done drag the mkext back into your extra/ folder on your efi partition

and delete the extra folder that you copied at the root of your osx partition

if you use an mkext you supposedly should delete the extensions folder next to it as it my create conflict between the two (or at least rename it to something else, you can use the following command line to rename it easily sudo mv /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensionsbakup, if it gives you an error add -r to it but I don't think you need it, then just revers the two path to get it back to extensions if needed)

(forgot which machine but on leo if I had the two I would lose sound...)

Just completed the SL install on my all IDE K48. Everything seems to work... (well maybe not wake from sleep, have not tried that yet; didn't work on my Leopard 10.5.8 install so do expect much improvement... a hardware/BIOS thing I think).

I have upgraded to 10.6.2 and migrated my apps over.

But the point is Eliade, your guide and zip files are right on near perfect.

thank you,

neil

• 4 weeks later...

I guess maybe I'm confused about the version of Chameleon here.

You link to the pack for Chameleon RC2, which is the pkg installer, and use the orange colored "boot" file.

But the new pack with the Extras folder is for RC4?

Thing is, I got the install USB drive to work using Chameleon RC2 (from your link), the orange colored "boot" file in that same package, but the Extras folder with the green colored items from your link.

I can't get the install drive to boot from either of the "boot" files, orange nor green, using the Chameleon RC2 package from your link.

Edit: Just caught something this time around that I didn't notice before. After installing Chameleon on the install disk... Chameleon install fails!

What gives?

Ah, that's exactly what it was. Need RC4 installed on SL, then it works fine with your packages.

Thanks!

hi

just did a almost non stop install on a K45 with a e5200.

just one problem : if I include the the sleepenable kext the system won't boot, apparently you fixed that with rc4 but I thought I was using it. anyway thanks a lot.

system is recognized as MacMini, and working like a charm, screen in FullHD (1080p) , two networks cards, sharing internet with it.

thanks a lot a again

• 3 weeks later...

Hello this would be my second post regarding my shuttle XPC. I have followed the tutorials here almost to the letter and everything almost immediately was up and running.

Recently I was inspired to try dual booting. I disconnected the main hard drive in the Shuttle and introduced a smaller laptop hard drive to house Windows 7

I disconnected the SATA cable from the Mac hard drive and connected the laptop hard drive . I inserted the Windows 7 operating system and install it on my new hard drive. Windows 7 booted As it should. This I ran "easy boot CD" on the Windows operating system which would allow Windows 7 to see the Mac operating system. I reconnected the Mac operating system to port 2.

Now when chameleon is about to boot I can interrupt the boot with the arrow keys which allows me to choose the Windows or Mac operating system. Now it appears both operating systems are running in my shuttle.

The problem is my external FireWire drive which I used for a Time Machine backup refuses to function. I noticed during the Mac boot up a FireWire GUID. error. I reloaded my extensions, Still no Time Machine.

Any Input would be appreciated.

rickgerhart@gmail.com

Hello this would be my second post regarding my shuttle XPC. I have followed the tutorials here almost to the letter and everything almost immediately was up and running.

Recently I was inspired to try dual booting. I disconnected the main hard drive in the Shuttle and introduced a smaller laptop hard drive to house Windows 7

I disconnected the SATA cable from the Mac hard drive and connected the laptop hard drive . I inserted the Windows 7 operating system and install it on my new hard drive. Windows 7 booted As it should. This I ran "easy boot CD" on the Windows operating system which would allow Windows 7 to see the Mac operating system. I reconnected the Mac operating system to port 2.

Now when chameleon is about to boot I can interrupt the boot with the arrow keys which allows me to choose the Windows or Mac operating system. Now it appears both operating systems are running in my shuttle.

The problem is my external FireWire drive which I used for a Time Machine backup refuses to function. I noticed during the Mac boot up a FireWire GUID. error. I reloaded my extensions, Still no Time Machine.

Any Input would be appreciated.

rickgerhart@gmail.com

Hi

there's no firewire on the K45, so I can't help you directly for that

All I can say is that you probably will need a kext for firewire, or a dsdt modification (but that might be harder to find

good luck

or use a external USB disk... I know firewire is better, but usb will at least for now get you things done.