nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Hey mate, thanks again.

By the way, let me tell you something.

I´m so anxious about installing the Snow Leo that earlier today I bought another 8 Gb flash drive to try installing to it but no success. After formating GPT/HFS+ it recognizes only 7.46 Gb and when I try to install OS X is says I need at least 380 Mb more. And I unchecked almost everything from the customize list. :)

And I got another error message too.

Take a look at this:

osx.th.jpg

P.S. - Don´t think I´m despising your work and effort on creating a nForceBootDVD. As I´m so f****** curious, I had to try that. :)

Cheers.

BB.

No problem.....I am writing the guide now......could not do so earlier because Insanelymac database had problems.......

No problem.....I am writing the guide now......could not do so earlier because Insanelymac database had problems.......

OK mate.

As I said in previous post, don´t need to rush. :whistle:

Whenever you got the time, you do it and I´ll be here waiting.

As I am curious, sometimes I had to try somethings that comes in my mind and other recommendations from other posts and topics. :)

Cheers.

OK mate.

As I said in previous post, don´t need to rush. ;)

Whenever you got the time, you do it and I´ll be here waiting.

As I am curious, sometimes I had to try somethings that comes in my mind and other recommendations from other posts and topics. :)

Cheers.

My nForceSLBoot132DVD link plus user instructions have now been posted in post #1 in Part F........ :)

Is the link on "Trauma!s BootCDMaker v1.1f" or in See here part??

;)

In part F. because it is NOT a standard Trauma! BootCD........as my last post to you says..... :)

i have problem to install snow leopard

my config : Gigabite GA-N650SLI-DS4

with NVIDIA ASUS GTX295

hdd sata 1to

bluray burner LG (sata)

dvd burner PIONEER (sata)

problem i don't have install menu :(

see the screenshot ,he stop here :

There is normally quite a long wait at this point.........I will wait to see what other users experience before commenting further......OK?

Were you able to boot my nForceSLBoot132DVD OK......? I ask because I have used slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext (to enable use of >3GB RAM without a kernel panic, which some DVDRWs have a problem with.....

If I get some time, I may make another version of my nForceSLBoot132DVD.iso using MeDevil's AppleNForceATA Test kext but will have to use maxmem=3072, for those with SATA DVDRWs.......BUT I will not be able to test it because I only have a PATA DVDRW......... :D

hello,

Which step do begin at in this guide?

I am running evga 178 nForce780i-SLI mobo and chipset

Thank you,

Part A, then Part B......then:

Part C if you want to produce a USB flash drive installer......

and then

Part D if you want to install from a USB flash drive to a GPT HDD.....

OR

Part E if you want to install from a USB flash drive to a MBR HDD.....

OR

Part A, then Part B......then Part F if you want to install from a Retail Snow leopard Mac OS X Install DVD to a GPT HDD using my nForceSLBoot132DVD......

not that i'm complaining, but how is it that we're running vanilla kernels on nforce mobos now with snow leopard? o.O does it have to do with the grand central?

I guess because Apple is using the NVIDIA MCP79 Chipset......

Hi verdant.

Me again.

Well, I´m starting to believe I have problems with the .dmg file I downloaded from Pirate Bay of Snow Leopard.

I opened the file now and while the verification was running a error on mouting the DMG file show that says: codec overrun and stop mouting the file. So, I guess my file is bad. SH*T ! I took more than 3 days downloading this {censored}.

Could you point me the link where you download your version? I´ll have to wait 3 more days to try installing Snow Leo.

I´m very frustrated.

Cheers.

BB.

Hi verdant.

Me again.

Well, I´m starting to believe I have problems with the .dmg file I downloaded from Pirate Bay of Snow Leopard.

I opened the file now and while the verification was running a error on mouting the DMG file show that says: codec overrun and stop mouting the file. So, I guess my file is bad. SH*T ! I took more than 3 days downloading this {censored}.

Could you point me the link where you download your version? I´ll have to wait 3 more days to try installing Snow Leo.

I´m very frustrated.

Cheers.

BB.

Sorry I cannot help you there......as I am a longtime user of "real" Macs, I purchased a "real" Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD to support Apple......

Sorry I cannot help you there......as I am a longtime user of "real" Macs, I purchased a "real" Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD to support Apple......

OK. Thanks anyway.

I´ll try downloading another file of Snow Leopard.

I wish I could buy one version too. It would save me a lot of time and I wouldn´t feel like a thieve.

Cheers.

BB.

OK. Thanks anyway.

I´ll try downloading another file of Snow Leopard.

I wish I could buy one version too. It would save me a lot of time and I wouldn´t feel like a thieve.

Cheers.

BB.

Did my nForceSLBoot132DVD boot OK for you......?

Did my nForceSLBoot132DVD boot OK for you......?

Yeah. Worked like a charm.

But when I changed the disk to the OS X disk and it started loading, I got the following message: ERROR PARSING PLIST FILE and then other errors like EBIOS bla bla bla...

So I decided to download another file of Snow Leo because I´m starting to believe the one I have is a {censored}. If with all your help I couldn´t get the system to install, there´s something wrong with my file. Can´t be anything else.

C ya.

Yeah. Worked like a charm.

But when I changed the disk to the OS X disk and it started loading, I got the following message: ERROR PARSING PLIST FILE and then other errors like EBIOS bla bla bla...

So I decided to download another file of Snow Leo because I´m starting to believe the one I have is a {censored}. If with all your help I couldn´t get the system to install, there´s something wrong with my file. Can´t be anything else.

C ya.

The other possibility is the DVD media and/or burn speed you use to create the SL Mac OS X Install DVD..........

Cheers

verdant

The other possibility is the DVD media and/or burn speed you use to create the SL Mac OS X Install DVD..........

Cheers

verdant

Yeah. Could be.

As I´m a stubborn kiddo, I´m going to burn the "{censored}" file again and try another time.

I´m already downloading another file to make sure that the file I have can be or not problematic.

Going now.

C ya all tomorrow.

Have a nice end of Sunday.

Cheers to all.

Yeah. Could be.

As I´m a stubborn kiddo, I´m going to burn the "{censored}" file again and try another time.

I´m already downloading another file to make sure that the file I have can be or not problematic.

Going now.

C ya all tomorrow.

Have a nice end of Sunday.

Cheers to all.

Glad my nForceSLBoot132DVD worked like a charm for you bb.......pity about SL Install DVD.....

I may not have too much time on forum this coming week because of having to claw back time for my "real" work after the time I spent sorting out the nForceSLBoot132DVD ......hope everyone understands and will be patient when wanting me to reply to their posts here.....I will reply as soon as I am able to...... :(

Glad my nForceSLBoot132DVD worked like a charm for you bb.......pity about SL Install DVD.....

I may not have too much time on forum this coming week because of having to claw back time for my "real" work after the time I spent sorting out the nForceSLBoot132DVD ......hope everyone understands and will be patient when wanting me to reply to their posts here.....I will reply as soon as I am able to...... :(

Hi verdant. Let me say something before you went way this week... ;)

Seems that my new recorded OS X Install DVD worked fine.

I booted flags -v -f as you recommended and after loading some files, a lot of them as errors, the two final messages was:

kmod_control is no supportable on this kernel architecture (called from kextload)

Sep 20-09-2009 breaking-bads-mac-pro configd[14]: InterfaceNamer: timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce.

Any idea of what is this???

Cheers.

Hi verdant. Let me say something before you went way this week... :rolleyes:

Seems that my new recorded OS X Install DVD worked fine.

I booted flags -v -f as you recommended and after loading some files, a lot of them as errors, the two final messages was:

kmod_control is no supportable on this kernel architecture (called from kextload)

Sep 20-09-2009 breaking-bads-mac-pro configd[14]: InterfaceNamer: timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce.

Any idea of what is this???

Cheers.

First message.....

I think this relates to the kmodload/kmodunload utilities which load/unload the file "modulefile" into the kernel and start/stop its execution......but is not supported by the SL kernel.....

Last message......

It sounds like the Mac OS X Installer system is having trouble figuring out what I/O hardware components are present on your system i.e. MOBO......you could try disabling Firewire support if you have it and do not use it.....

So, I do not know if the following tip from wfolta in macosxhints.com would still work....

I've occasionally had a problem with Final Cut Pro where Firewire would get screwed up and my DV VTR would stop seeing any DV video from FCP.

A cool geeky trick that works for me is to cause the Firewire DV driver to be stopped and unloaded from the kernel, then reloaded and restarted

Read the rest of the article for the quick how-to.

Here's the procedure:

1. Turn off all Firewire DV devices attached. Wait 10 seconds or so.
  2. In the Terminal: sudo kmodunload -v -n com.apple.driver.IOFireWireDV
  3. Enter your password for sudo, and you should see something like: kmodunload: found kmod com.apple.driver.IOFireWireDV, id 62.
    kmodunload: kmod id 62 successfully stopped.
    kmodunload: kmod id 62 successfully unloaded.If you see something like this: kmodunload: found kmod com.apple.driver.IOFireWireDV, id 91.
    kmodunload: kmod_control(stop) failed: (null)then the VTR isn't turned off, or another attached DV device isn't turned off, or the system's really hosed and needs a reboot.
  4. Turn the Firewire DV devices back on, which should reload and restart the driver. You can check with: sudo kmodstat | grep FireWireDVwhere you should see an entry for the Firewire DV device.

Cheers......thats me done for the day........;)

First message.....

I think this relates to the kmodload/kmodunload utilities which load/unload the file "modulefile" into the kernel and start/stop its execution......but is not supported by the SL kernel.....

Last message......

It sounds like the Mac OS X Installer system is having trouble figuring out what I/O hardware components are present on your system i.e. MOBO......you could try disabling Firewire support if you have it and do not use it.....

So, I do not know if the following tip from wfolta in macosxhints.com would still work....

Cheers......thats me done for the day........;)

OK mate.

As I´m not at my desktop with OS X installed, I´ll try this tomorrow.

I´d like to thank you so very much. I´m really amazed with the help you´re providing me since the begin. I´ll find a way to compensate all the time and effort you´re giving me with all your knowledge.

Your work around here is amazing. You can´t imagine how important you are to thousand of people around the world.

Thank you, thank you, so very much.

Have a nice and productive week.

Cheers.

EDIT

Hi fellow.

I followed your suggestion to disable FireWire and try booting and got same error message. :rolleyes:

Don´t know what is happening.

I´ll give another try today using the guide from #1 post. :)

C ya.

EDIT -2

Success booting to Snow Leopard install. :)

The problem I´m facing now is that the partition I want to install Snow Leo is MBR/HFS+ and installation says it needs to be in GPT/HFS+.... as I can´t format my whole HDD to GPT, I´ll have to read the first post to see how to proceed.

:)

Cheers.

Hey Verdant,

Awesome job on the bootloader! So mine gets to the boot screen but I get a ton of EBIOS errors on the way, so I am not sure if that is a problem. Also in the boot menu, the background is like shifted to the right, and I can only see the worst Eject the boot CD, and then wait a bit underneath it. Is this normal? When I load the real leopard dvd, and press F5, another harddisk pops up but i cannot actually click it start the boot.

EDIT: OK so I just needed to burn another DVD and it started loading everything. Unfortunately I am getting the dreaded waiting for root device so it seems I have another long road ahead of me.

Hi verdant.

Mate, you just won´t believe what happens.

I did the process of creating the installer via USB and everything went fine. Installer is booting perfectly, is loading everything. But when it comes to select the place to install OS, it doesn´t recognizes my MBR/HFS+ partition, so I decided to use one of the 8Gb flash drives I have now. When I partition it as GPT/HFS+ is recognizes 7.69 Gb of space and even if I uncheck the options on install, OS X requires at least 150 Mb more. So I decided to partition flash drive as MBR/HFS+ what gave me 8.03 Gb of free space and in my mind now I´d can install the OS X, so went to customize options, unchecked every one of the and system is requiring 12.3 MB more to install OS X.

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?????

I´m starting to believe Steve Jobs is sabotaging me. LOL !!!

EDIT - CRAZING NEWS

Mate, I´m about to format my Windows Vista just to install Snow Leo. I´d like to know if I can install Vista via Virtual Box on a GPT partition. If yes, I´m gonna do that now. In fact I just need Vista installed in case of my hack goes crazy and I can´t boot into it and to use Corel X4 to convert some files I sometimes receive from clients.

EDIT - SNOW LEO DOESN`T RECOGNIZES ANY HDD

Hi.

Formated my Vista HDD to GPT/HFS+ but OS X Install doesn´t see any HDD or other storage devices. :)

Very frustrated.

:)

I don´t know what to do more, since that buying an HDD or 16 Gb flash drive is out of question.

Any suggestions???

Cheers.

bb.

Hey Verdant,

Awesome job on the bootloader! So mine gets to the boot screen but I get a ton of EBIOS errors on the way, so I am not sure if that is a problem. Also in the boot menu, the background is like shifted to the right, and I can only see the worst Eject the boot CD, and then wait a bit underneath it. Is this normal? When I load the real leopard dvd, and press F5, another harddisk pops up but i cannot actually click it start the boot.

EDIT: OK so I just needed to burn another DVD and it started loading everything. Unfortunately I am getting the dreaded waiting for root device so it seems I have another long road ahead of me.

Remember that despite nForce chipset MOBOs being able to run the Snow Leopard kernel, you still are dealing with the nForce chipset + OS X.......so:

1. Check your BIOS against recommended settings for OS X in my Series 7 nForce thread.....especially SATA settings but HPET set to [Enabled]......

2. Were you able to boot my nForceSLBoot132DVD OK......? I ask because I have used slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext (to enable use of >3GB RAM without a kernel panic, which some DVDRWs have a problem with.....

If I get some time, I may make another version of my nForceSLBoot132DVD.iso using MeDevil's AppleNForceATA Test kext but will have to use maxmem=3072, for those with SATA DVDRWs.......BUT I will not be able to test it because I only have a PATA DVDRW......... :)

Remember that despite nForce chipset MOBOs being able to run the Snow Leopard kernel, you still are dealing with the nForce chipset + OS X.......so:

1. Check your BIOS against recommended settings for OS X in my Series 7 nForce thread.....especially SATA settings but HPET set to [Enabled]......

2. Were you able to boot my nForceSLBoot132DVD OK......? I ask because I have used slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext (to enable use of >3GB RAM without a kernel panic, which some DVDRWs have a problem with.....

If I get some time, I may make another version of my nForceSLBoot132DVD.iso using MeDevil's AppleNForceATA Test kext but will have to use maxmem=3072, for those with SATA DVDRWs.......BUT I will not be able to test it because I only have a PATA DVDRW......... :(

Yeah your dvd booted ok, although the background image was shifted way to the right so a lot was cut off. It did boot my Snow Leopard , but i received the waiting for root device. If you make the one with MeDevil's I can test it for you with my SATA DVDRWs

Auto updated to 10.6.1 and then installed optional pakages direct from Retail OS X Install DVD without any problems........ONLY SLEEP and AUDIO remain to be sorted......

Did you ever get your audio working? it's the only thing I haven't got working yet.

Thanks