nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Didn´t know that info on GPT.

Maybe that´s the problem I´m facing at the end of restore process.

Would you be mad if I ask you how to GPT my flash drive???

Cheers.

BB.

Go to Disk Utility -> in the sidebar highlight your USB flash drive device icon -> in main window, click on the Partition tab -> select to partition as 1 volume, with a name with no spaces and format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) -> click on Options button -> select GUID Partition Table (GPT) -> click Apply....... :)

Verdant,

I am still getting the smc errors no matter what I do, so are you saying it is safe to assume it is something to do with my motherboard? Is there any I can totally reset everything to how it was when I bought it? It doesn't seem like that battery thing did anything. I just have no idea why I absolutely can not get past this error. It is really bugging me, and I am tempted to just buy a new motherboard.

Verdant,

I am still getting the smc errors no matter what I do, so are you saying it is safe to assume it is something to do with my motherboard? Is there any I can totally reset everything to how it was when I bought it? It doesn't seem like that battery thing did anything. I just have no idea why I absolutely can not get past this error. It is really bugging me, and I am tempted to just buy a new motherboard.

Try the following:

Power down your PC, disconnect it from AC, and wait for about 10 minutes, then remove your video card and your CMOS battery from the MOBO and wait at least 60 minutes......then reinstall video card and then CMOS battery......and then reconnect the PC to AC and reboot.......then reload optimised default BIOS setup into CMOS.......then check that BIOS settings are reset to suit OS X operation....

Where does OSX get it's cpu clock speed reading from? would it matter if this value is not 100% right.. I've done lots of overclocking and know the slightest problem with settings causes instability, even though I'm booting with stock settings, OSX still reads CPU as 2.43 instead of 2.40 (rounded up from 2.39) ...

synzap.png

Go to Disk Utility -> in the sidebar highlight your USB flash drive device icon -> in main window, click on the Partition tab -> select to partition as 1 volume, with a name with no spaces and format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) -> click on Options button -> select GUID Partition Table (GPT) -> click Apply....... :)

My goodness.

I feel like an idiot.

I knew that my question was a noob one: :wacko:DUH !

LOL.

Thanx once again mate.

UPDATE:

Hi verdant. Even formating the flash drive to GPT/HFS+ still getting same error on restoring.

Take a look at this.

diskutilitylog.th.png

diskutilityinputoutpute.th.png

Cheers.

BB.

My goodness.

I feel like an idiot.

I knew that my question was a noob one: :wacko:DUH !

LOL.

Thanx once again mate.

UPDATE:

Hi verdant. Even formating the flash drive to GPT/HFS+ still getting same error on restoring.

Take a look at this.

diskutilitylog.th.png

diskutilityinputoutpute.th.png

Cheers.

BB.

I wonder if the .dmg you are using is corrupted because it mentions not being able to copy a specific file.....?

I wonder if the .dmg you are using is corrupted because it mentions not being able to copy a specific file.....?

Hey mate. Great news, better, not that great.

The fact is I can boot to the Installer even getting the error message from restoring process. That´s good.

What´s not good is that I get a panic when booting from the installer. I´m trying all the way to take the picture so I can post it here, but my camera is broken and I have no other. ;)

When booting normally, I get that grey screen that says: YOU NEED TO RESTART YOUR COMPUTER. HOLD DOWN, BLA, BLA BLA....

I couldn´t get the pic of the panic to show so you can tell me what I did wrong.

I´m trying to get the pic and as soon as I get I´ll post it here.

Cheers.

BB.

Hey mate. Great news, better, not that great.

The fact is I can boot to the Installer even getting the error message from restoring process. That´s good.

What´s not good is that I get a panic when booting from the installer. I´m trying all the way to take the picture so I can post it here, but my camera is broken and I have no other. ;)

When booting normally, I get that grey screen that says: YOU NEED TO RESTART YOUR COMPUTER. HOLD DOWN, BLA, BLA BLA....

I couldn´t get the pic of the panic to show so you can tell me what I did wrong.

I´m trying to get the pic and as soon as I get I´ll post it here.

Cheers.

BB.

Try booting the USB installer with -v arch=i386 even though you have set arch=i386 in com.apple.Boot.plist......

Where does OSX get it's cpu clock speed reading from? would it matter if this value is not 100% right.. I've done lots of overclocking and know the slightest problem with settings causes instability, even though I'm booting with stock settings, OSX still reads CPU as 2.43 instead of 2.40 (rounded up from 2.39) ...

synzap.png

I get the Q6600 Processor as 3.1 GHz even though it is 3.0GHz......may need to insert CPU data in SMBIOS.plist......?

Hi mate.

Finally could take the pics of the KP.

Here it goes.

19092009452.th.jpg

19092009451.th.jpg

19092009450.th.jpg

EDIT

Hey "Dr. House" you´re right about the .dmg file. That was the one making my system giving KP to start the Installer. Now I run the installer real nice. It booted up at first attempt after using a good .dmg of Snow Leo. ;)

Thanks a lot for that tip. Now I´m running to read the guide on how to install it on a MBR/HFS+ partition since I can´t partition my whole HDD with other partitions in it.

In a few minutes I come back with breaking news.

:(

EDIT 2 - Breaking News - in fact the "breaking" is from myself :)

The installer boots fine without even using no flags, but when it comes to install, have a little problem. After choosing the language of the system, a grey screen shows a message that could not install the OS X.

As I´m trying to install it into a MBR/HFS+ partition, I used both of the OSInstall versions - version 1 from Prasys site and version 2 - that skips all checks and in both got the same error.

Here are the log files:

LOG FILE USING OSInstall.mpkg - version 1

http://www.mediafire.com/?nh3ufnnhimt

LOG FILE USING OSInstall.mpkg - version 2

http://www.mediafire.com/?mmzgzzoynfd

When you have time, take a look at this to see if have any clue to what´s happening.

Cheers.

bb.

Try the following:

Power down your PC, disconnect it from AC, and wait for about 10 minutes, then remove your video card and your CMOS battery from the MOBO and wait at least 60 minutes......then reinstall video card and then CMOS battery......and then reconnect the PC to AC and reboot.......then reload optimised default BIOS setup into CMOS.......then check that BIOS settings are reset to suit OS X operation....

Bummer, I did everything and I can get into the installer screen but I continually get a kernel panic at like 5% into the install. Would formatting my HDD to MBR change anything or should it all be the same? I am thinking about picking a Gigabyte mobo that would work perfectly but I really do not want to. How hard would it be to make my own DVD with all of your kexts and stuff on it?

Hi mate.

Finally could take the pics of the KP.

Here it goes.

19092009452.th.jpg

19092009451.th.jpg

19092009450.th.jpg

EDIT

Hey "Dr. House" you´re right about the .dmg file. That was the one making my system giving KP to start the Installer. Now I run the installer real nice. It booted up at first attempt after using a good .dmg of Snow Leo. :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot for that tip. Now I´m running to read the guide on how to install it on a MBR/HFS+ partition since I can´t partition my whole HDD with other partitions in it.

In a few minutes I come back with breaking news.

:D

EDIT 2 - Breaking News - in fact the "breaking" is from myself :)

The installer boots fine without even using flags, but when it comes to install, have a little problem. After choosing the language of the system, a grey screen shows a message that could not install the OS X.

As I´m trying to install it into a MBR/HFS+ partition, I used both of the OSInstall versions - version 1 from Prasys site and version 2 - that skips all checks and in both got the same error.

Here are the log files:

LOG FILE USING OSInstall.mpkg - version 1

http://www.mediafire.com/?nh3ufnnhimt

LOG FILE USING OSInstall.mpkg - version 2

http://www.mediafire.com/?mmzgzzoynfd

When you have time, take a look at this to see if have any clue to what´s happening.

Cheers.

bb.

It is not loading the Library and hence OSInstall Unix executable......

Do you have access to a another 8GB USB stick?.........if so, use one 8GB USB stick as your installer to install OS X 10.6 to another 8GB USB stick.......then use Carbon Copy Cloner 3.2.1 or Disk Utility to clone the system to your MBR volume......

I initially installed SL 10.6 on an external USB 2.5" 20GB HDD (4200rpm) and then used Carbon Copy Cloner 3.2.1 to clone the system to my eSATA MBR volume......on this eSATA HDD I have installed Chameleon RC2...... :)

It is not loading the Library and hence OSInstall Unix executable......

Do you have access to a another 8GB USB stick?.........if so, use one 8GB USB stick as your installer to install OS X 10.6 to another 8GB USB stick.......then use Carbon Copy Cloner 3.2.1 or Disk Utility to clone the system to your MBR volume......

I initially installed SL 10.6 on an external USB 2.5" 20GB HDD (4200rpm) and then used Carbon Copy Cloner 3.2.1 to clone the system to my eSATA MBR volume......on this eSATA HDD I have installed Chameleon RC2...... :D

What I´m facing now is: after choosing the language to install Snow Leo, system pops up a windows that says - Locate "Install Mac OS X" application. Bellow this line another text: Select the "Install Mac OS X" application you used to download Snow Leopard.

So I logically decided to choose the "Install Mac OS X" that is in the USB Installer and got error message: Try reinstalling.

Should this happen or I did something wrong?

Cheers.

bb.

P.S. - I don´t have access to another 8Gb flash drive or any external HDD. :rolleyes:

Bummer, I did everything and I can get into the installer screen but I continually get a kernel panic at like 5% into the install. Would formatting my HDD to MBR change anything or should it all be the same? I am thinking about picking a Gigabyte mobo that would work perfectly but I really do not want to. How hard would it be to make my own DVD with all of your kexts and stuff on it?

No, installing to MBR can be even more problematic.....ask breakingbad......

Do you have access to another 8GB USB stick or a USB HDD?.........if so, use your USB stick as your installer to install OS X 10.6 to another USB stick or USB HDD.......then use Carbon Copy Cloner 3.2.1 or Disk Utility to clone the system to your MBR volume......

I initially installed SL 10.6 on an external USB 2.5" 20GB HDD (4200rpm) and then used Carbon Copy Cloner 3.2.1 to clone the system to my eSATA MBR volume......on this eSATA HDD I have installed Chameleon RC2...... :)

I am still trying to sort out the BootCD because the Chameleon cdboot does not boot properly......I had the same issue with Leopard so will have to try using a legacy Boot132/Chameleon hybrid.......

What I´m facing now is: after choosing the language to install Snow Leo, system pops up a windows that says - Locate "Install Mac OS X" application. Bellow this line another text: Select the "Install Mac OS X" application you used to download Snow Leopard.

So I logically decided to choose the "Install Mac OS X" that is in the USB Installer and got error message: Try reinstalling.

Should this happen or I did something wrong?

Cheers.

bb.

P.S. - I don´t have access to another 8Gb flash drive or any external HDD. :(

I am trying sort out an nForceBootCD as quickly as I can..... ;)

No, installing to MBR can be even more problematic.....ask breakingbad......

Do you have access to another 8GB USB stick or a USB HDD?.........if so, use your USB stick as your installer to install OS X 10.6 to another USB stick or USB HDD.......then use Carbon Copy Cloner 3.2.1 or Disk Utility to clone the system to your MBR volume......

I initially installed SL 10.6 on an external USB 2.5" 20GB HDD (4200rpm) and then used Carbon Copy Cloner 3.2.1 to clone the system to my eSATA MBR volume......on this eSATA HDD I have installed Chameleon RC2...... ;)

I am still trying to sort out the BootCD because the Chameleon cdboot does not boot properly......I had the same issue with Leopard so will have to try using a legacy Boot132/Chameleon hybrid.......

I am trying sort out an nForceBootCD as quickly as I can..... :(

OK mate.

Don´t wanna hurry you. It would be a lot easier to do with another flash drive, but the one I have here is just 4Gb. If works fine, I can put everything that is actually in flash drive to a Dual Layer DVD and use the DVD to install Snow Leo to the flash drive and then copy the installed system from the flash drive to the MBR/HFS+ partition via Disk Utility or CCC.

Is that possible?? If yes, let me know.

Cheers.

BB.

OK mate.

Don´t wanna hurry you. It would be a lot easier to do with another flash drive, but the one I have here is just 4Gb. If works fine, I can put everything that is actually in flash drive to a Dual Layer DVD and use the DVD to install Snow Leo to the flash drive and then copy the installed system from the flash drive to the MBR/HFS+ partition via Disk Utility or CCC.

Is that possible?? If yes, let me know.

Cheers.

BB.

Making a bootable DVD is pretty much like doing what I am working on......a nForce BootDVD....

UPDATE: Can now boot into Retail Mac OS X Install DVD using my nForceBootDVD.......just have to sort out the loading of some kexts now..... :(

Making a bootable DVD is pretty much like doing what I am working on......a nForce BootDVD....

UPDATE: Can now boot into Retail Mac OS X Install DVD using my nForceBootDVD.......just have to sort out the loading of some kexts now..... :(

OK mate.

Take your time.

Whenever its ready let me know.

Cheers.

BB.

OK mate.

Take your time.

Whenever its ready let me know.

Cheers.

BB.

It is having problems with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext not overiding AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext when Retail Mac OS X Install DVD is booting......hence there is a KP.......so I have to figure why this is happening when it should not......

UPDATE: Problem solved hopefully.......... :)

I need to do some more testing starting late tomorrow (with and without DSDT.aml).......if all still OK I will write up a user guide in this thread and upload .iso images for the nForceSLBootDVD variants as soon as I can time permitting........ :)

It is having problems with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext not overiding AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext when Retail Mac OS X Install DVD is booting......hence there is a KP.......so I have to figure why this is happening when it should not......

UPDATE: Problem solved hopefully.......... :P

I need to do some more testing starting late tomorrow (with and without DSDT.aml).......if all still OK I will write up a user guide in this thread and upload .iso images for the nForceSLBootDVD variants as soon as I can time permitting........ ;)

Hi verdant.

You know that I can´t thank you enough.

I´ll be waiting for your file no matter how long it takes. :)

Thank you so very much.

Cheers.

BB.

Hi verdant.

You know that I can´t thank you enough.

I´ll be waiting for your file no matter how long it takes. ;)

Thank you so very much.

Cheers.

BB.

Not much longer now...... :)

Not much longer now...... :)

Hey mate, thanks again.

By the way, let me tell you something.

I´m so anxious about installing the Snow Leo that earlier today I bought another 8 Gb flash drive to try installing to it but no success. After formating GPT/HFS+ it recognizes only 7.46 Gb and when I try to install OS X is says I need at least 380 Mb more. And I unchecked almost everything from the customize list. ;)

And I got another error message too.

Take a look at this:

osx.th.jpg

P.S. - Don´t think I´m despising your work and effort on creating a nForceBootDVD. As I´m so f****** curious, I had to try that. :)

Cheers.

BB.

Success.... been trying to make it crash for over an hour now, 0 so far. Installed Chameleon RC2, and used the new netkas boot file just released today...... that fixed the constant kernel panicking, as for random USB lockups during heavy usage, I fired up dsdt.dsl, found my USB sections, and renamed them to EHC, and that problem hasn't come back either :)

edit: I also used the -newHPET switch while recompiling the DSDT, and now I notice on boot I get an HPET probe fail, I'm thinking HPET is in some way problematic.... but system is problem free now, full video/ethernet/sound

Success.... been trying to make it crash for over an hour now, 0 so far. Installed Chameleon RC2, and used the new netkas boot file just released today...... that fixed the constant kernel panicking, as for random USB lockups during heavy usage, I fired up dsdt.dsl, found my USB sections, and renamed them to EHC, and that problem hasn't come back either :)

edit: I also used the -newHPET switch while recompiling the DSDT, and now I notice on boot I get an HPET probe fail, I'm thinking HPET is in some way problematic.... but system is problem free now, full video/ethernet/sound

That is good news....... :)