nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

You could try installing from USB flash drive to an external USB HDD (e.g. 2.5" or 3.5" HDD) and then clone to your internal HDD volume(s).....that works for me too....

Anyhow I will be starting to work on an nForce BootCD....

Thanks - really appreciate it! Boot CD would be awesome. How would I go about installing to an external drive? I cannot get to a point where I can choose any options with the USB drive as it is. I get to the boot loader to choose from Windows or OSX. I hit the key for more options to get there. I then use the -v and get errors and cannot choose where it installs to. Could you let me know how that would work?

Wanted to also add that by doing some searching someone found the following resource: http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers...d/usbdebug.html which are the USB debug kexts to help pinpoint issues relating to the 'unable to initialize UIM' & 'could not get chip to halt within 100ms' which appear to be USB related only as was stated earlier by Verdant. One person used the debugs only to discover that the Low-Speed device in question [a mouse] was made by none other than the Microsoft Corporation. I wonder if trying to use ps/2 peripherals may help? I could try and track some down. Let me know Verdant. THANKS! :(

I would think that using a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse is unlikely to solve the issue since you are concerned with large data transfers via USB......

I have to sort out the BootCD first and then confirm that it works for me.......

I would think that using a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse is unlikely to solve the issue since you are concerned with large data transfers via USB......

I have to sort out the BootCD first and then confirm that it works for me.......

i can be a beta tester if need be :(

We are already using AppleNForceATA.kext in /E/E which is a 32bit Leopard kext......so it is worth a try.....

You could also try putting nForceLAN.kext in /S/L/E......it is not an Apple kext so should not be overwritten when updating.....

MD5 checksum is for a single file....not a collection of files......AFAIK

oh i didnt know it was a different kext!

thats crazy.

ill defintly try that out.

so in theory, if you can run leo you can run snow leo in 32bit?

ill try putting the old IONetworkingFamily.kext first, and if that works then ill try the nforce thing

ohh yeah your right.

that was my only idea ><

i can be a beta tester if need be :)

oh i didnt know it was a different kext!

thats crazy.

ill defintly try that out.

so in theory, if you can run leo you can run snow leo in 32bit?

ill try putting the old IONetworkingFamily.kext first, and if that works then ill try the nforce thing

ohh yeah your right.

that was my only idea ><

I have AppleNForceATA.kext in /E/E and in /S/L/E on my HDD OS X 10.6.1 volumes.......

In /S/L/E I have also renamed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext orig and

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext.orig to stop them loading, in order to keep CPU core temps lower as Snow Leopard runs hotter than Leopard.....

Hey quick question. I too get the grey screen and just a cursor after the SMC errors continue for a bit. I just wanted to know if that was the ONLY error you get while in verbose mode? Are you seeing the "UIMFinalize - could not get chip to halt within 100ms" like I am? Any other issues? But yeah we are kind of both in the same boat.

I am going to turn in the USB drive I got today and pick up the Corsair Voyager (only 8 GB) so that I can rule that out as an issue at least.

Yes I am getting all the same errors you are getting. I do not think it is the USB drive though because I am installing straight from the image file on my HDD to the Snow HDD. I have no USB devices except my keyboard and mouse plugged in and I am still getting those errors even when booting into the already installed HDD.

Basically we have to figure out how to get around the badsmc errors.

I have AppleNForceATA.kext in /E/E and in /S/L/E on my HDD OS X 10.6.1 volumes.......

In /S/L/E I have also renamed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext orig and

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext.orig to stop them loading, in order to keep CPU core temps lower as Snow Leopard runs hotter than Leopard.....

We are already using AppleNForceATA.kext in /E/E which is a 32bit Leopard kext......so it is worth a try.....

You could also try putting nForceLAN.kext in /S/L/E......it is not an Apple kext so should not be overwritten when updating.....

my cpu temps are around like 35ish so i dont think i need to do that lol.

i put the IO80211family in my snow /s/l/e and my e/e and still no luck

so i put the nforcelan in my s/l/e and /e/e and in the IOnetworking family in s/l/e and e/e lol

there has to be somthing im missing.

i boot with -f and i use disk util to repair my permission

but now it boots with my wireless card and before it used to not

so i guess thats a step?

EDIT

I GOT IT!!!

ok so what i did was get the kext from

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=125569

they had a snowleo kext for 32 and 64bit

and i put into s/l/e and e/e and in the IOnetowrking family which was also in s/l/e and e/e

so thats awesome :)))

i am downloading 10.6.1 [its less than 10megs lol]

all i need to get working is the

GFX resolution

sound used http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175372 [alc883]

ultimate goal is to get sound working usuing DSDT.aml

and 64bit [in the future [when a nforceata 64bit comes out]]

:)

thank you so much verdant!

my cpu temps are around like 35ish so i dont think i need to do that lol.

i put the IO80211family in my snow /s/l/e and my e/e and still no luck

so i put the nforcelan in my s/l/e and /e/e and in the IOnetworking family in s/l/e and e/e lol

there has to be somthing im missing.

i boot with -f and i use disk util to repair my permission

but now it boots with my wireless card and before it used to not

so i guess thats a step?

EDIT

I GOT IT!!!

ok so what i did was get the kext from

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=125569

they had a snowleo kext for 32 and 64bit

and i put into s/l/e and e/e and in the IOnetowrking family which was also in s/l/e and e/e

so thats awesome :( ))

all i need to get working is the GFX sound and 64bit [in the future [when a nforceata 64bit comes out]]

:D

thank you so much verdant!

Which kext did you actually use....... 0.64.0 (Snow Leopard: x86_64 i386) or 0.64.0 (Tiger/Leopard: i386)......?

Which kext did you actually use....... 0.64.0 (Snow Leopard: x86_64 i386) or 0.64.0 (Tiger/Leopard: i386)......?

i used

0.64.0 (Snow Leopard: x86_64 i386) zip.gif nForceLAN_SnowLeopard.kext.zip ( 63.16K )

32bit installed in s/l/e and e/e and put in the IOnetworkfamily.kext as a plugin in the s/l/e and e/e as well then used diskutil to repair permissions and then ran kext utility to generate mkext.

and now i have a working mkext file as well.

also i saw that for the atheros cards alot of people restored there IO80211Family AND AppleAirport from 10.5.7 so im going to try that tomorrow.

i used

32bit installed in s/l/e and e/e and put in the IOnetworkfamily.kext as a plugin in the s/l/e and e/e as well then used diskutil to repair permissions and then ran kext utility to generate mkext.

and now i have a working mkext file as well.

also i saw that for the atheros cards alot of people restored there IO80211Family AND AppleAirport from 10.5.7 so im going to try that tomorrow.

I asked because that is the same kext that I have included in my Snow_Support_Files (v1.0).......so was not clear why you had not got it working before.....?

I asked because that is the same kext that I have included in my Snow_Support_Files (v1.0).......so was not clear why you had not got it working before.....?

intresting.. maybe my kexts got mixed up somewhere?

honestly, i dont know why it didnt work?

maybe it got currupted when i was unzipping or somthing?

i have no idea.

also, even though i havent gotten a KP for it yet should i install those IOPCIClassMatch kexts? i read through why you put them there, but i never had a problem with them, yet.

Yes I am getting all the same errors you are getting. I do not think it is the USB drive though because I am installing straight from the image file on my HDD to the Snow HDD. I have no USB devices except my keyboard and mouse plugged in and I am still getting those errors even when booting into the already installed HDD.

Well i am giving up with this. I have booted more than 100 times, and reinstalled all the files at least 20. If anyone is able is able to fix the smcisinabadstate=smc cannot recover leading to the grey screen of death let me know.

intresting.. maybe my kexts got mixed up somewhere?

honestly, i dont know why it didnt work?

maybe it got currupted when i was unzipping or somthing?

i have no idea.

also, even though i havent gotten a KP for it yet should i install those IOPCIClassMatch kexts? i read through why you put them there, but i never had a problem with them, yet.

It could be where you have put it now that has made the difference......some kexts seem only to load when in /S/L/E and not when in /E/E.......

It is up to you.......they will not affect auto-updating because they are in /E/E...... :(

Well i am giving up with this. I have booted more than 100 times, and reinstalled all the files at least 20. If anyone is able is able to fix the smcisinabadstate=smc cannot recover leading to the grey screen of death let me know.

Sorry that I cannot offer any suggestions at present but this is the first time I have seen someone report this error......did you try dsmos.kext in place of fakesmc.kext.....?

issues relating to the 'unable to initialize UIM' & 'could not get chip to halt within 100ms'

For USB keyboard and mouse support when you experience these errors, usually plugging in a USB hub and plugging the mouse and keyboard into the hub will resolve the issue.

Ultimately, you need to edit the DSDT's USB devices to get a more permanent fix.

Hmmm....I read on the fakesmc website that you were supposed to delete dsmos.kext but I couldnt find it anywhere so I guess it was already deleted. So I should put that back in and take out fakesmc? Is there a specific version I need? Thanks

EDIT: OK so i just realized that DSMOS stands for Dont steal mac osx....That kext is still inside the system/library/extensions....do I need to delete that?

EDIT #2: OK so I figured out the whole DSMOS.kext thing, and I dled it and replaced it with the fakesmc.kexts....when I went to boot again the verbose showed that it loaded the DSMOS perfectly, but I STILL received all of the smcisinabadstate errors....I have a feeling it is something it the bios now because it was giving me that error with both the USB install, and when I installed it straight from the dmg on my HDD. Is it a problem that i am overclocked form 2.67ghz to 3.33ghz?

Hmmm....I read on the fakesmc website that you were supposed to delete dsmos.kext but I couldnt find it anywhere so I guess it was already deleted. So I should put that back in and take out fakesmc? Is there a specific version I need? Thanks

EDIT: OK so i just realized that DSMOS stands for Dont steal mac osx....That kext is still inside the system/library/extensions....do I need to delete that?

EDIT #2: OK so I figured out the whole DSMOS.kext thing, and I dled it and replaced it with the fakesmc.kexts....when I went to boot again the verbose showed that it loaded the DSMOS perfectly, but I STILL received all of the smcisinabadstate errors....I have a feeling it is something it the bios now because it was giving me that error with both the USB install, and when I installed it straight from the dmg on my HDD. Is it a problem that i am overclocked form 2.67ghz to 3.33ghz?

it shouldnt be becuase of the overclock, maybe you should ask netkas directly because i googled that error, adn you seem the only person to be getting such an error.

yourve tried fakesmc v1 and v2 right?

Sorry that I cannot offer any suggestions at present but this is the first time I have seen someone report this error......did you try dsmos.kext in place of fakesmc.kext.....?

I too am getting the SMC errors which eventually leads to a grey screen with a cursor. But I thought that the USB errors are what ultimately let that to occur. I don't know though. But yeah his problem is my problem too just to be clear.

For USB keyboard and mouse support when you experience these errors, usually plugging in a USB hub and plugging the mouse and keyboard into the hub will resolve the issue.

Ultimately, you need to edit the DSDT's USB devices to get a more permanent fix.

I am going to try that today. The USB drive is probably not the issue; I was suspecting that the slow USB devices were in fact my Microsoft peripherals. I will try and post an update here in a few hours.

Why don't you try what some others have suggested -I am going to do the same when I get to work- and try to unplug your usb mouse and/or keyboard to see if you get any farther in the process! Another person said before that there are some USB devices that it doesn't like and show as too slow and return errors (in one person's case it was his Microsoft mouse that was the low speed device) and once removed, or as suggested moved to a USB hub, the boot process is allowed to continue. It's worth a shot and would take a less than a minute. I'll try it myself soon. Just trying to help. If that doesn't work I'll be waiting on Verdant's nForce BootCD which would be cool.

Verdant: not that I am impatient - but do you think it would take a few weeks at least to sort out the CD? Just wanted a general idea of how long you were needing to work on that. I appreciate your work on this. I just ask because I am curious. Thanks

I too am getting the SMC errors which eventually leads to a grey screen with a cursor. But I thought that the USB errors are what ultimately let that to occur. I don't know though. But yeah his problem is my problem too just to be clear.

I am going to try that today. The USB drive is probably not the issue; I was suspecting that the slow USB devices were in fact my Microsoft peripherals. I will try and post an update here in a few hours.

Why don't you try what some others have suggested -I am going to do the same when I get to work- and try to unplug your usb mouse and/or keyboard to see if you get any farther in the process! Another person said before that there are some USB devices that it doesn't like and show as too slow and return errors (in one person's case it was his Microsoft mouse that was the low speed device) and once removed, or as suggested moved to a USB hub, the boot process is allowed to continue. It's worth a shot and would take a less than a minute. I'll try it myself soon. Just trying to help. If that doesn't work I'll be waiting on Verdant's nForce BootCD which would be cool.

Verdant: not that I am impatient - but do you think it would take a few weeks at least to sort out the CD? Just wanted a general idea of how long you were needing to work on that. I appreciate your work on this. I just ask because I am curious. Thanks

I will be working on it this week......will update on progress....... :(

I will be working on it this week......will update on progress....... :rolleyes:

Awesome! Thanks.

FYI - with fakesmc v1 and also with v2 I still get smc errors: SMC::smcSMCInABadSate ERROR: SMC is stuck and cannot recover. Also I noticed AppleNForcfeAFA: warning: phy connection failed and then AppleNForceATA: found 0 units.

EDIT: BUT... then all of a sudden I got the INSTALL SCREEN!! So I am making progress!!!!! I used the fakesmc v2. I repeat I got smcisinabadsate error but after it went to grey screen with cursor and thought it was the same problems as before the install screen came up and so I am installing now. I also am concerned about the AppleNForceATA problem but it's recognizing the card at this point hehe.. I will update in a bit. I am sure there will be plenty of more issues. :D

Awesome! Thanks.

FYI - with fakesmc v1 and also with v2 I still get smc errors: SMC::smcSMCInABadSate ERROR: SMC is stuck and cannot recover. Also I noticed AppleNForcfeAFA: warning: phy connection failed and then AppleNForceATA: found 0 units.

EDIT: BUT... then all of a sudden I got the INSTALL SCREEN!! So I am making progress!!!!! I used the fakesmc v2. I repeat I got smcisinabadsate error but after it went to grey screen with cursor and thought it was the same problems as before the install screen came up and so I am installing now. I also am concerned about the AppleNForceATA problem but it's recognizing the card at this point hehe.. I will update in a bit. I am sure there will be plenty of more issues. ;)

Problem I am having now is my computer is not booting the OS. It is just bringing up PXE Boot Agent. I confirmed the HDD with the OS is connected to SATA port 0. But yeah it's acting like I don't have any bootable disks... great. So still no luck thus far! I can boot off the USB and Disk Utility shows the hard drive as the MBR - repaired permissions. But OS won't boot at the moment... it almost seems like it's a BIOS setting. I can't find out how to enable AHCI either.

Awesome! Thanks.

FYI - with fakesmc v1 and also with v2 I still get smc errors: SMC::smcSMCInABadSate ERROR: SMC is stuck and cannot recover. Also I noticed AppleNForcfeAFA: warning: phy connection failed and then c.

EDIT: BUT... then all of a sudden I got the INSTALL SCREEN!! So I am making progress!!!!! I used the fakesmc v2. I repeat I got smcisinabadsate error but after it went to grey screen with cursor and thought it was the same problems as before the install screen came up and so I am installing now. I also am concerned about the AppleNForceATA problem but it's recognizing the card at this point hehe.. I will update in a bit. I am sure there will be plenty of more issues. :)

Hey so a little update. I unplugged all of my USB devices immediately and I still get all of the SMC errors. I repartitioned the target drive, and then installed SL onto it from the DMG on my Leopard desktop. I added all the necessary kexts and boot files, all with the proper UUID. Upon boot I get the same issues, but I wrote them down so maybe Verdant can pinpoint what it might be. I think I need to change something in the fakesmc.kext file. I am also getting the AppleNForcfeAFA: warning: phy connection failed like jchief.

Here are my errors:

FakeSMC::key not found MOST, length -2

SMS:: setupInts ERROR: checkForInvalidInts failed (kSMCkeyNotFound)

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin:start-waitForService (resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement)) timed out

these are the errors I am getting in between the 8-10 SMC::smcSMCInABadSate ERROR: SMC is stuck and cannot recovers.

Does it sound like the fakesmc.kext file just isn't working Verdant?

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin:start-waitForService (resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement)) timed out

i get that everyboot and my computer is pretty much 100% right now. its the last thing i see when i am in -v mode before i see the desktop