nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

The problem is that my target drive is the system that I'm currently booted into (Leopard). So are you saying that I should create an Extra/Extensions directory on my currently running system, and then boot from the USB drive?

You need to use your current system to prepare everything you need for the USB flash drive AND for the SL system on the HDD.....so any additional kexts/bootloader installer etc. that are needed for a full running OS X 10.6 system on the HDD will need to be put on the USB stick so that after you overwrite the Leopard system with SL you still have everything you need to enable you to set up booting from the HDD.......BUT as I said it is a risky approach because if you get a crashed install and hence a corrupted flash drive as a result, then what....?

I would suggest you do it for both, obviously using the respective diskXsY and boot-uuid values for the USB and HDD,.....as there is some indication that RC3 may not load com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra first.....

-v arch=i386 rd=diskXsY boot-uuid="your target OS X volume UUID" SORRY just spotted a typo! Corrected in red

Ok I am just totally confused. The kernel panic i was getting was exactly the one you were describing about the HPET and the extensions.mkext stuff. I deleted the extensions.mkext and repeatedly get out of the verbose mode to the screen where the install should start, and then I just sit there with rainbow spinning wheel forever. I have tried both rc1 and rc3 numerous times, and all of the different boot commands. I just do not know why it will not take me to the install screen. I have also re-ripped leopard 2 times, and reloaded it onto the flash drive more than 5 times. Is there something in my BIOS I might have messed up? I just do not know what to change next. Thanks for your help.

Edit : Before the grey screen in verbose at the very end I am getting a bunch of SMC cannot recover, or smcisbad. It does this about 5 times until it finally says DMOS has arrived..and then it boots into the grey screen with the spinning wheel.

Ok I am just totally confused. The kernel panic i was getting was exactly the one you were describing about the HPET and the extensions.mkext stuff. I deleted the extensions.mkext and repeatedly get out of the verbose mode to the screen where the install should start, and then I just sit there with rainbow spinning wheel forever. I have tried both rc1 and rc3 numerous times, and all of the different boot commands. I just do not know why it will not take me to the install screen. I have also re-ripped leopard 2 times, and reloaded it onto the flash drive more than 5 times. Is there something in my BIOS I might have messed up? I just do not know what to change next. Thanks for your help.

Edit : Before the grey screen in verbose at the very end I am getting a bunch of SMC cannot recover, or smcisbad. It does this about 5 times until it finally says DMOS has arrived..and then it boots into the grey screen with the spinning wheel.

Suggest you follow my procedure for those having great difficulties:

1. Install to an external USB single partition GPT/HFS+ HDD and install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 either try using Dr. Hurt's Installer, or run dj nitehawk's Pre-Install Automator v1.1 script just to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 completely, or just use its /boot file as explained earlier......it is still best that you sort out your DSDT.aml file and extensions in /Extra, as well as com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist because this script is geared towards full vanilla (Intel) MOBOs rather than towards nForce MOBOs.....

2. Do not keep any generated Extension.mkext files in /Extra on your USB flash driver installer or on your target OS X 10.6.x HDD /Extra directories......

3. The HDD kexts in /Extra are:

AppleNForceATA

fakesmc

GeForce (PCIClassmatched)

NullCPUPowerManagement

NVDAN50Hal (PCIClassmatched)

NVDAResman (PCIClassmatched)

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID (although even different UUIDs in SMBIOS.plist and PlatformUUID Info.plist does not appear to cause any problems because according to Superhai the UUID in SMBIOS is not used for anything.....)

4. When installing OS X 10.6 choose only the base system in the Customize menu

5. Once you have booted into OS X 10.6 on your HDD, use Disk Utility to repair permissions.....then auto Software update to 10.6.1......and only then run the Retail OS X DVD in your DVDRW to run the Optional Installs.mpkg to install Additional fonts, Language Transaltions, Printers, X11, Rosetta and/or Quicktime 7......

Suggest you follow my procedure for those having great difficulties:

1. Install to an external USB single partition GPT/HFS+ HDD and install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 either try using Dr. Hurt's Installer, or run dj nitehawk's Pre-Install Automator v1.1 script just to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 completely, or just use its /boot file as explained earlier......it is still best that you sort out your DSDT.aml file and extensions in /Extra, as well as com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist because this script is geared towards full vanilla (Intel) MOBOs rather than towards nForce MOBOs.....

2. Do not keep any generated Extension.mkext files in /Extra on your USB flash driver installer or on your target OS X 10.6.x HDD /Extra directories......

3. The HDD kexts in /Extra are:

AppleNForceATA

fakesmc

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID (although even different UUIDs in SMBIOS.plist and PlatformUUID Info.plist does not appear to cause any problems because according to Superhai the UUID in SMBIOS is not used for anything.....)

4. When installing OS X 10.6 choose only the base system in the Customize menu

5. Once you have booted into OS X 10.6 on your HDD, use Disk Utility to repair permissions.....then auto Software update to 10.6.1......and only then run the Retail OS X DVD in your DVDRW to run the Optional Installs.mpkg to install Additional fonts, Language Transaltions, Printers, X11, Rosetta and/or Quicktime 7......

I never saw these mentioned in your guide:

Are these super important to the install? Where do I get them, I did not see them in the Snow Support files?

I never saw these mentioned in your guide:

Are these super important to the install? Where do I get them, I did not see them in the Snow Support files?

The Guide has been updated with new Snow Support Files and explanations/advice etc..... ;)

As for your BIOS settings check against the 780i BIOS template in my Series 7 nForce thread....

The Guide has been updated with new Snow Support Files and explanations/advice etc..... :)

As for your BIOS settings check against the 780i BIOS template in my Series 7 nForce thread....

Yeah sorry i saw you updated it after i posted. So i added your new kexts, and got rid of my old ones, and am still getting stuck with the spinning beach ball. I also updated my bios to match the settings in your old guide exactly last night.I am getting the same problems with fakesmc v1 and v2 so I do not think that is the problem. I just don't get why it absolutely refuses to load the install screen.

I am booting off of my new Kingston 8GB USB device. I've been following the instructions as best I can. I noticed that I would get to a grey screen with a cursor and got stuck. I assumed there was an issue so I booted into verbose mode as see two things that catch my eye. First of all I am on a EVGA 780i mobo. My graphics card is the GeForce 8800 GTX. I get a "USBF - UIMInitialize - could not get chip to halt within 100 ms" then mentions that firewire could not start or something. The I have a lot of mention that things could not load relating to GeForce and Nvidia. Later on I get several more UIMInitialize - could not get chip to halt within 100 ms.. Do you think it's because I need a kext for 8800 GTX? Or could it be because of my USB drive? I have tried to look up what "UIMInitialize - could not get chip to halt within 100 ms" means but I cannot find any info really. Thank you for your great guide! Hope I can get up and running. :D

EDIT:

To be more specific the lines referring to graphics are:

Kext com.apple.NVDAResman - library kext com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport not found

Can't load kext com.apple.nvidia.nv50hal - filed to resolve libary dependencies

Can't load kext com.apple.Geforce - failed to resolve library dependencies

Again I only have 1 8800GTX installed (no SLI) and the EVGA 780i Nforce SLI-ready mobo - Q6600 Quad CPU - THANKS!

EDIT: Oh man I now see that the post before mentions some of the things that I failed to load this go 'round. I'll check out that thread verdant. But if you could maybe clue me in on the "could not get chip to load" thing that would be great.

Yeah sorry i saw you updated it after i posted. So i added your new kexts, and got rid of my old ones, and am still getting stuck with the spinning beach ball. I also updated my bios to match the settings in your old guide exactly last night.I am getting the same problems with fakesmc v1 and v2 so I do not think that is the problem. I just don't get why it absolutely refuses to load the install screen.

Have you got only the one USB flash drive to try......from my own bitter experience (i.e. wasted time) not all USB flash drives are the same......

I have a Freecom 8GB drive that always gives KPs when trying to run the 10.6 Mac OS X Install DVD versus a 16GB Corsair Voyager that works everytime......yet they both have exactly the same files and 10.6 Mac OS X Install DVD .dmg restored to them.......go figure...... :(

I have just checked in my SL 10.6.1 /S/L/E/IONetworkingFamily/Contents/PlugIns and nvenet.kext is there.....

I have not removed it as I am not using nForceLAN.kext but my RTL8169 chipset NIC.....

ok well i put the IONetworkingFamily in my /E/E folder with nforcelan as a plug in and then booted with -f and -v

and then i put it in the SLE and still no luck :/

its not showing up in networking under system pref.

I am booting off of my new Kingston 8GB USB device. I've been following the instructions as best I can. I noticed that I would get to a grey screen with a cursor and got stuck. I assumed there was an issue so I booted into verbose mode as see two things that catch my eye. First of all I am on a EVGA 780i mobo. My graphics card is the GeForce 8800 GTX. I get a "USBF - UIMInitialize - could not get chip to halt within 100 ms" then mentions that firewire could not start or something. The I have a lot of mention that things could not load relating to GeForce and Nvidia. Later on I get several more UIMInitialize - could not get chip to halt within 100 ms.. Do you think it's because I need a kext for 8800 GTX? Or could it be because of my USB drive? I have tried to look up what "UIMInitialize - could not get chip to halt within 100 ms" means but I cannot find any info really. Thank you for your great guide! Hope I can get up and running. :)

EDIT:

To be more specific the lines referring to graphics are:

Kext com.apple.NVDAResman - library kext com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport not found

Can't load kext com.apple.nvidia.nv50hal - filed to resolve libary dependencies

Can't load kext com.apple.Geforce - failed to resolve library dependencies

Again I only have 1 8800GTX installed (no SLI) and the EVGA 780i Nforce SLI-ready mobo - Q6600 Quad CPU - THANKS!

EDIT: Oh man I now see that the post before mentions some of the things that I failed to load this go 'round. I'll check out that thread verdant. But if you could maybe clue me in on the "could not get chip to load" thing that would be great.

1. I assume you are only using the 8GB flash drive as an installer and are installing to a GPT/HFS+ HDD volume?

2. Have you put the PCIClassMatched GeForce, NVDANVHal and NVDAResman kexts in /Extra/Extensions on the OS X HDD volume....?

3. Quite a few 780i MOBO owners have reported a similar error message......check that all USB options in BIOS are enabled.....

Have you got only the one USB flash drive to try......from my own bitter experience (i.e. wasted time) not all USB flash drives are the same......

I have a Freecom 8GB drive that always gives KPs when trying to run the 10.6 Mac OS X Install DVD versus a 16GB Corsair Voyager that works everytime......yet they both have exactly the same files and 10.6 Mac OS X Install DVD .dmg restored to them.......go figure...... :)

Thanks for the advice. I am going to return this one (just bought it today - have a 4gb that I use all the time and only getting this for SL only) and try another. I'll try for a Corsair. What about SanDisk? Another concerning thing is in verbose mode those kexts it couldn't load WERE installed in the /extra/extensions - in there I see Geforce.kext, NVDAResman.kext, etc. but they aren't working. So you think it's the USB drive still then probably? THANKS! :)

ok well i put the IONetworkingFamily in my /E/E folder with nforcelan as a plug in and then booted with -f and -v

and then i put it in the SLE and still no luck :/

its not showing up in networking under system pref.

Have you tried with IONetworkingFamily from Snow (with only nvenet.kext renamed/removed in PlugIns) in the /E/E folder together with nForceLAN.kext in the /E/E folder.....?

Type kextstat in Terminal to see if these kexts are loading into the kernel.....

Thanks for the advice. I am going to return this one (just bought it today - have a 4gb that I use all the time and only getting this for SL only) and try another. I'll try for a Corsair. What about SanDisk? Another concerning thing is in verbose mode those kexts it couldn't load WERE installed in the /extra/extensions - in there I see Geforce.kext, NVDAResman.kext, etc. but they aren't working. So you think it's the USB drive still then probably? THANKS! :)

I will have a check myself on these kexts to confirm that they load OK on my system from my Corsair USB stick.....I will get back to you shortly......in the meantime try without these nVidia grpahics jkexts on your USB stick.......

1. I assume you are only using the 8GB flash drive as an installer and are installing to a GPT/HFS+ HDD volume?

2. Have you put the PCIClassMatched GeForce, NVDANVHal and NVDAResman kexts in /Extra/Extensions on the OS X HDD volume....?

3. Quite a few 780i MOBO owners have reported a similar error message......check that all USB options in BIOS are enabled.....

1. Oops.. lol. You see I assumed that I would be able to get to disk utility via the USB drive (thumb drive is formated GPT/HFS+) and format it that way. The HDD (the hard disk not the USB drive) that's in there is currently NTFS running Vista. I was trying to get to a point where I could wipe it. Are you saying I need to take out the HDD and put it in a Mac and format it before trying to use the bootloader (I am sorry if that's a stupid question. I'm really trying to do this right.)

2. Yes they are in the folder. on the OS X HDD USB drive

3. In the BIOS the only USB options I can find right now are Integrated Peripherals --> USB Config --> and OnChip USB, USB Keyboard Support, and USB Mouse support are all enabled.

Thanks for your help!

Have you tried with IONetworkingFamily from Snow (with only nvenet.kext renamed/removed in PlugIns) in the /E/E folder together with nForceLAN.kext in the /E/E folder.....?

Type kextstat in Terminal to see if these kexts are loading into the kernel.....

I will have a check myself on these kexts to confirm that they load OK on my system from my Corsair USB stick.....I will get back to you shortly......in the meantime try without these nVidia grpahics jkexts on your USB stick.......

OK I tried without those kexts but I still get the UIMFinalize - could not get chip to halt within 100ms. No mention of the kext issues. Then later on it says "SMC is stuck and cannot recover" and it's hard to find out what other errors because nothing really stands out as being a problem except of course the chip halt messages and:

/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays - no such file or directory

BootCacheControl: could not unlink playlist /var/db/BootCache.playlist: Read-only file system.

systemShutdown false

1. Oops.. lol. You see I assumed that I would be able to get to disk utility via the USB drive (thumb drive is formated GPT/HFS+) and format it that way. The HDD (the hard disk not the USB drive) that's in there is currently NTFS running Vista. I was trying to get to a point where I could wipe it. Are you saying I need to take out the HDD and put it in a Mac and format it before trying to use the bootloader (I am sorry if that's a stupid question. I'm really trying to do this right.)

2. Yes they are in the folder. on the OS X HDD USB drive

3. In the BIOS the only USB options I can find right now are Integrated Peripherals --> USB Config --> and OnChip USB, USB Keyboard Support, and USB Mouse support are all enabled.

Thanks for your help!

OK I tried without those kexts but I still get the UIMFinalize - could not get chip to halt within 100ms. No mention of the kext issues. Then later on it says "SMC is stuck and cannot recover" and it's hard to find out what other errors because nothing really stands out as being a problem except of course the chip halt messages and:

/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays - no such file or directory

BootCacheControl: could not unlink playlist /var/db/BootCache.playlist: Read-only file system.

systemShutdown false

1. No, if you have set up the 8GB flash drive as the Mac OS X Install DVD installer and it loads properly i.e. takes you into the Installer window, you will be able to use its Disk Utility function to partition/format your Vista HDD volume as GPT/HFS+.....

So it seems that your restore of the Mac OS X Install DVD .dmg image to your 8GB flash drive may need redoing.....

I have just checked and the nVidia kexts are being loaded from my Corsair and Freecom USB memory sticks without any error messages in verbose mode......

1. No, if you have set up the 8GB flash drive as the Mac OS X Install DVD installer and it loads properly i.e. takes you into the Installer window, you will be able to use its Disk Utility function to partition/format your Vista HDD volume as GPT/HFS+.....

So it seems that your restore of the Mac OS X Install DVD .dmg image to your 8GB flash drive may need redoing.....

I have just checked and the nVidia kexts are being loaded from my Corsair and Freecom USB memory sticks without any error messages in verbose mode......

Verdant I am getting all of those exact same error messages. And I think he said he is getting stuck at the grey screen with the cursor as well. Hopefully it isn't just caused by the USB stick because I only have this one. It is 32gb. What would my other options be if I cannot get this USB stick to work?

Verdant I am getting all of those exact same error messages. And I think he said he is getting stuck at the grey screen with the cursor as well. Hopefully it isn't just caused by the USB stick because I only have this one. It is 32gb. What would my other options be if I cannot get this USB stick to work?

It is either a USB issue between MOBO/SL and/or the USB stick......I still get occasional random KPs when installing from my USB stick even though nothing has changed.......

I am hoping to find time to sort out a nForce SL BootCD using Superhai's BootCD as the basis for it......but I have yet to have the time to even sort out audio and sleep on my MOBO as I have been keeping my SL guide updated and answering posts......

I will try a few things in a couple hours on the USB front using my Freecom USB stick.....

ok so I just tried that. Repair disk permissions and booted with -v -f arch=i386 and still no luck. Thr ionetworkfamily is showing in family.

My wireless card is arthos based. I'm actually surprised it's not working. It's normally worked OTB:/

Ok so I do not think this grey screen has anything to do with the USB installer. I just installed Snow Leopard from my Leopard desktop to my blank Snow Leopard HDD. I added all the kexts and chameleon and stuff from your guide, and i booted with -v -x32, and I hit this exact same grey screen with the cursor. The verbose is showing i am constantly getting:

smcisinabadstate: cannot be recovered

Does this have to do with the smc kext? What is the bare essential kexts needed to boot because this grey screen is just getting rediculous.

Ok so I do not think this grey screen has anything to do with the USB installer. I just installed Snow Leopard from my Leopard desktop to my blank Snow Leopard HDD. I added all the kexts and chameleon and stuff from your guide, and i booted with -v -x32, and I hit this exact same grey screen with the cursor. The verbose is showing i am constantly getting:

Does this have to do with the smc kext? What is the bare essential kexts needed to boot because this grey screen is just getting rediculous.

I assume from your previous posts that you have tried both V1 and V2 of fackesmc.kext....with the same result.....

What happens when you use dsmos.kext instead of fakesmc.kext?

ok so I just tried that. Repair disk permissions and booted with -v -f arch=i386 and still no luck. Thr ionetworkfamily is showing in family.

My wireless card is arthos based. I'm actually surprised it's not working. It's normally worked OTB:/

Please clarify your post.....nForceLAN.kext is a driver ONLY for nVidia nForce onboard LAN.....so have you tried putting the IONetworkingFamily.kext from Leopard in /E/E to see if it loads and enables your Atheros WiFi card.....?

Please clarify your post.....nForceLAN.kext is a driver ONLY for nVidia nForce onboard LAN.....so have you tried putting the IONetworkingFamily.kext from Leopard in /E/E to see if it loads and enables your Atheros WiFi card.....?

Oh ok sorry

let me clarify

"ok so I just tried that. Repair disk permissions and booted with -v -f arch=i386 and still no luck. The ionetworkfamily is showing in familykextstat."

my bad >.<

yeah i know its only for the onboard lan, i was just saying.

um no i havent, can i do that? i thought snowleo and leo couldnt sharekexts? or is that only in 64bit mode?

PS i went and install x11/iPod support/Quicktime 7

PSS

could you do like a md5 check when you rip the install disc to the flash drives?

to help \/ that guy out

Hey quick question. I too get the grey screen and just a cursor after the SMC errors continue for a bit. I just wanted to know if that was the ONLY error you get while in verbose mode? Are you seeing the "UIMFinalize - could not get chip to halt within 100ms" like I am? Any other issues? But yeah we are kind of both in the same boat.

I am going to turn in the USB drive I got today and pick up the Corsair Voyager (only 8 GB) so that I can rule that out as an issue at least.

Oh ok sorry

let me clarify

"ok so I just tried that. Repair disk permissions and booted with -v -f arch=i386 and still no luck. The ionetworkfamily is showing in familykextstat."

my bad >.<

yeah i know its only for the onboard lan, i was just saying.

um no i havent, can i do that? i thought snowleo and leo couldnt sharekexts? or is that only in 64bit mode?

PS i went and install x11/iPod support/Quicktime 7

PSS

could you do like a md5 check when you rip the install disc to the flash drives?

to help \/ that guy out

We are already using AppleNForceATA.kext in /E/E which is a 32bit Leopard kext......so it is worth a try.....

You could also try putting nForceLAN.kext in /S/L/E......it is not an Apple kext so should not be overwritten when updating.....

MD5 checksum is for a single file....not a collection of files......AFAIK

Wanted to also add that by doing some searching someone found the following resource: http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers...d/usbdebug.html which are the USB debug kexts to help pinpoint issues relating to the 'unable to initialize UIM' & 'could not get chip to halt within 100ms' which appear to be USB related only as was stated earlier by Verdant. One person used the debugs only to discover that the Low-Speed device in question [a mouse] was made by none other than the Microsoft Corporation. I wonder if trying to use ps/2 peripherals may help? I could try and track some down. Let me know Verdant. THANKS! :(

Hey quick question. I too get the grey screen and just a cursor after the SMC errors continue for a bit. I just wanted to know if that was the ONLY error you get while in verbose mode? Are you seeing the "UIMFinalize - could not get chip to halt within 100ms" like I am? Any other issues? But yeah we are kind of both in the same boat.

I am going to turn in the USB drive I got today and pick up the Corsair Voyager (only 8 GB) so that I can rule that out as an issue at least.

You could try installing from USB flash drive to an external USB HDD (e.g. 2.5" or 3.5" HDD) and then clone to your internal HDD volume(s).....that works for me too....

Anyhow I will be starting to work on an nForce BootCD....