HOW-TO GUIDE: Snow Leopard Retail 10.6 on Asus P6T Deluxe V2

wziard

482 posts in this topic

Any one have any idea why I can't get my Marvell Ethernet to work?

I installed Snow leopard via MyHack USB Installer. (I had to hot swap sata ports to get around the Still waiting for root device error)

After the initial installation it asked me if I wanted to set up internet and I said "not now".

When I booted into the fresh install, did the "ethernet fix" as described on the first page in this thread (editing the kext to support this Marvell Yukon) , saved, and exited that kext. Rebooted, nothing. No internet, and the card is not listed under "ethernet cards" in System Profiler. Then, I loaded the installer you guys made and used the DSDT for my 920, rebooted, and had sound! Still no ethernet, and not listed under System Profile under "ethernet cards". I tried the safari built in "network diagnostics" which try to switch your connection to "ethernet" and it said it couldn't find the adapter.

"Ethernet Built In" is in my apple.com.plist.

I then tried the drivers for this particular Marvell Adapter (after the edit) from kexts.com.... I ran the installer, rebooted, nothing, no lan. The lan port does have blinking lights on it. Its the Lan port on the top most part of the back of the board.....

I've already updated my bios to the latest and everything still works fine.

Thanks a lot for all of the work that you guys have been putting into this thread, I'm happy to report that I have finally got Snow Leopard where I want it.

So far everything I have works except my wireless card(going to fix that in a bit), but I have mine up and running with dual GTX 275s :(

My Setup:

Asus P6t deluxe v2

Core I7 920

Dual GTX 275s

6GB ddr3

I'm dual booting with Windows 7 and everything works :D

So thanks again for all the work you guys are doing, especially with the dsdt!

Any one have any idea why I can't get my Marvell Ethernet to work?

I installed Snow leopard via MyHack USB Installer. (I had to hot swap sata ports to get around the Still waiting for root device error)

After the initial installation it asked me if I wanted to set up internet and I said "not now".

When I booted into the fresh install, did the "ethernet fix" as described on the first page in this thread (editing the kext to support this Marvell Yukon) , saved, and exited that kext. Rebooted, nothing. No internet, and the card is not listed under "ethernet cards" in System Profiler. Then, I loaded the installer you guys made and used the DSDT for my 920, rebooted, and had sound! Still no ethernet, and not listed under System Profile under "ethernet cards". I tried the safari built in "network diagnostics" which try to switch your connection to "ethernet" and it said it couldn't find the adapter.

"Ethernet Built In" is in my apple.com.plist.

I then tried the drivers for this particular Marvell Adapter (after the edit) from kexts.com.... I ran the installer, rebooted, nothing, no lan. The lan port does have blinking lights on it. Its the Lan port on the top most part of the back of the board.....

Go to Terminal.app in Utilities and run:

cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

sudo mv NetworkInterfaces.plist NetworkInterfaces.plist.bak

and reboot.

Not familiar with the MyHack installer, but if it replaces /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext that could cause a problem. You would have to copy it from the install media in that case.

Go to Terminal.app in Utilities and run:

cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

sudo mv NetworkInterfaces.plist NetworkInterfaces.plist.bak

and reboot.

Not familiar with the MyHack installer, but if it replaces /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext that could cause a problem. You would have to copy it from the install media in that case.

Thanks, I will try that.

Yet, even if the MyHackInstaller did that (which it likely didn't because it just installs the cham bootloader and some kexts and stuff to the USB Flash drive that I installed from), shouldn't it have worked after I installed the Marvell drivers from Kext.com?

The Marvell driver from kexts.com is for Leopard. You probably hosed the AppleYukon2.kext plugin. The installer should have made a backup....

Check if you have this file here:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleYukon2.kext.orig

If it's there, copy and paste this line into a Terminal window:

(all one line)

sudo mv -f /System/Library/Extensions/AppleYukon2.kext.orig /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext

Go to:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents

Check the Info.plist and make sure it has the correct edits.

The Marvell driver from kexts.com is for Leopard. You probably hosed the AppleYukon2.kext plugin. The installer should have made a backup....

Check if you have this file here:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleYukon2.kext.orig

If it's there, copy and paste this line into a Terminal window:

(all one line)

sudo mv -f /System/Library/Extensions/AppleYukon2.kext.orig /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext

Go to:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents

Check the Info.plist and make sure it has the correct edits.

Awesome thanks!

Another question.... how does snow leopard know which DSDT to use if I installed the p6T package to both the main boot drive and my usb "booter" that I created. It obviously would install the DSDT to the extra folder on both drives. Does it simply use whichever one that the system boots from (which would be my USB booter by default)?

Another question.... how does snow leopard know which DSDT to use if I installed the p6T package to both the main boot drive and my usb "booter" that I created. It obviously would install the DSDT to the extra folder on both drives. Does it simply use whichever one that the system boots from (which would be my USB booter by default)?

Yes

DSDT update

Version M2.2

Small update

Change:

- SMBUS error log fix (thank's kn6600)

- Firewire different fix (old device still unknow) thank's MacKonsti

i7 920

i7 940

- To fix error "Audio section" in the kernel log use this kext Here

- There is a new boot from AsereBNL v 1.1.7 Here

dgobe realize very soon a new installer with all this new stuff...

Fabio

PS: About the ASUS BIOS update: ok is safe no problem under OSX

DSDT update

Version M2.2

Small update

Change:

- SMBUS error log fix (thank's kn6600)

- Firewire different fix (old device still unknow) thank's MacKonsti

i7 920

i7 940

- To fix error "Audio section" in the kernel log use this kext Here

- There is a new boot from AsereBNL v 1.1.7 Here

dgobe realize very soon a new installer with all this new stuff...

Fabio

PS: About the ASUS BIOS update: ok is safe no problem under OSX

New installer here, v 1.9:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1387316

As mentioned this contains:

Fabio's DSDT M2.2

New AD2000b.kext

New boot (AsereBLN1.1.7)

Tweaked install script's fdisk command (give it a go maitajim)

wow, everything is working perfectly !

i have just noticed that my CPU is running hotter (45-50), is that possible ? (stock clock, speed step, turbo and everything enabled)

And also, Apple as released a security update, any of you tried the update ? i know it should be fine, but i just want to be sure..

Thanks for this great work :)

Applying the correction I sent you fixed the installer. Thank you dgobe, v1.9 of your installer works perfectly!

pOxbOx,

My cpu temps are the same with this file set. I do get a slight increase in temps, 40-45 as you describe if I Enable the "CPU Q-Fan Control" in my BIOS. I was suspect of a recent change in files until I remember making this change. The stock cpu cooler is too loud for me, a slight increase in temps for a quieter computer is worth it IMO.

hi all

iFabio and dgobe, thanks for your great installer and files

everything works on my P6TD Deluxe without any problem

EXCEPT firewire

i tried connecting disk or camera and even though firewire in system info seems to work, my computer doesnt detect camera or disk. i need firewire. is there a fix pls? i read on this forum there is, what exactly do i have to do (i can wait for next version of files with firewire fix, no hurry, but if its gonna take long i can do the fix myself)

one other thing i noticed, why is there such a high cpu usage in chameleon boot? the bootloader is kinda unresponsive too.

temperatures are the same as in windows 7 (i have good cooling though)

i have no way to determine speedstep is working. if i install pstates, speedstep is working but my FinalCutPro has one strange issue (probably sees my cpu as 1600mhz, maybe even only one core) so i run without pstates utils and kexts. i guess i will have to buy wattmeter to make sure as speedstep is important to me.

question: will this dsdt and speedstep work even if i have overclocked cpu?

tx

hi all

Hi dgobe,

I tried your installer in a flash drive. Chameleon didn't install, I had to do It manually. Don't know if

this is a problem just with my system or everybody's.

I tried again, It worked fine. Don't know why It didn't work in the first time.

Thanks,

PiSToL

Hi dgobe,

I tried your installer in a flash drive. Chameleon didn't install, I had to do It manually. Don't know if

this is a problem just with my system or everybody's.

The rest worked fine.

Thanks,

PiSToL

I've had at least one confirmed USB drive(maitaijim) success in addition to my own. Mine is has a single partition(GUID) formatted HFS+ Journaled.

Let me know if you are using MBR or anything different from the above and I can do some testing this weekend

Anyone else notice problems editing posts? Or is it Firefox 3.6? Guess I'll have to try IE or Safari later.

If anyone reports problems please include the output of

diskutil list

mount

and fdisk -e /dev/diskX print command.

Thanks

hi all

EXCEPT firewire

i tried connecting disk or camera and even though firewire in system info seems to work, my computer doesnt detect camera or disk. i need firewire. is there a fix pls? i read on this forum there is, what exactly do i have to do (i can wait for next version of files with firewire fix, no hurry, but if its gonna take long i can do the fix myself)

one other thing i noticed, why is there such a high cpu usage in chameleon boot? the bootloader is kinda unresponsive too.

temperatures are the same as in windows 7 (i have good cooling though)

i have no way to determine speedstep is working. if i install pstates, speedstep is working but my FinalCutPro has one strange issue (probably sees my cpu as 1600mhz, maybe even only one core) so i run without pstates utils and kexts. i guess i will have to buy wattmeter to make sure as speedstep is important to me.

question: will this dsdt and speedstep work even if i have overclocked cpu?

tx

Hi

I'm happy that our DSDT table also works on different mobo... (P6T Series)

The firewire "fix" is not perfect

Try in 32 bit mode maybe...

I have an old firewire camcorder (Panasonic NV-GS33) that have never been able to run on OSX in my P6T Deluxe... But many people with my same mobo use it without problems...

After which I write you the address from which comes the FIX I used Firewire Issue

Here the little information that I found

64-Bit Kernel Support

64-bit FireWire kernel (and user) services are fully functional in Snow Leopard. Some layers above FireWire do not yet work, such as the audio driver AppleFWAudio.kext. All other major services are available, including IOFireWireIP, Mass Storage (SBP-2), iSight, and DV/MPEG. The stack should be fully usable for both kernel and user space driver development. However, some high-level applications that use DV or MPEG on FireWire may not work, due to support issues in other software layers.

FireWire sample code and tools (such as in AVS) are functional for DV and MPEG. FireWire hard drives should be reliable, though some user-interface quirks may be present. For example, the drive may not be visible in Finder or System Profiler, but works correctly in Terminal.

FireWire kernel programming interfaces are basically identical in the 64-bit and 32-bit kernels, except that pointers are 64 bits wide in the 64-bit kernel. FireWire user space programming interfaces should be 100% compatible with the 32-bit and 64-bit user space programming interfaces in Mac OS X v10.5.

FireWire kprintf and FireWire KDP (kernel debugger protocol) are both available in 64-bit kernel mode.

On P6T Deluxe for overclocking you can 'overclock without problems ... not know about your motherboard ... Although such differences have nevertheless ..

Fabio

SHOULD BE SAFE NOW.

Here's a new installer...it should be one step and done, mostly. I would appreciate it if more experienced users would try this first and report if you find any problems. Beginners can try at your own risk. It would be best if you have a flash drive or another Mac hard drive to boot from if something goes wrong. I've run it a few times on my system with no problems.

After you unzip the file and double-click the pkg this is the basic install process:

• 1) You can select which DSDT(i920 or i940) to use from within the installer, please select one and only one in addition to the main installation files. The DSDTs are Fabio's latest.

• 2) All existing files are backed up to /P6TInstallerBackup.DATE-TIME (in root of installation volume). DATE-TIME will be replaced with the current date and time :(

• 3) Updates /usr/sbin/fdisk and /usr/standalone/i386 files. Then installs the AsereBLN boot code and updates the MBR and boot sector. This just runs the fdisk and dd commands on the installation volume. If you are running a bootloader like GRUB or LILO make sure this won't cause problems for you. I'm working on integrating the Chameleon installers code that compensates for this.

• 4) Copies /Extra and sets up Ethernet auto patcher. Runs ethernet patcher to update your Info.plist. All permissions are properly set by the installer. No need for kext utility.

• 5) The only thing left to do is edit com.apple.Boot.plist and put in the proper graphics resolution and edit smbios.plist and put in the serial number(not required). Default resolution is 1280x1024.

P6T Deluxe V2 Installer package:

P6TDeluxeV2Installer1.9.zip

Hi dgobe, just wondering for some reason when I hit the "change install location" it takes me back to the beginning "read me". Just wondering if there is a fix to this.

I'm running the utility from an iDeb 10.5.7 install on my laptop.

THanks for all the help and input you've given to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I followed the guide in post #123 and everything works fine, but I want to speedup my boot time (it's not really slow, but I have seen hackintoshs that boot faster). Is it possible?

Additionally, I want to have a dual boot with win7 and my existing OS X 10.6.2, but I don't want to break my existing Snow Leopard system. How can I do that with just one HDD (500GB)?

Thank You!

muffin92

Hi, I followed the guide in post #123 and everything works fine, but I want to speedup my boot time (it's not really slow, but I have seen hackintoshs that boot faster). Is it possible?

Additionally, I want to have a dual boot with win7 and my existing OS X 10.6.2, but I don't want to break my existing Snow Leopard system. How can I do that with just one HDD (500GB)?

Thank You!

muffin92

read the new guide... linked in second post of this thread... answers there... boot time is faster...