Snow Leopard Distros

okimasa

26 posts in this topic

I haven't been keeping my ear to the ground for a while, so I apologize if this has been asked or answered already... but,

Will there be any distros of SL from like iDeneb, iATKOS, etc? If so, about how long will we need to wait for it?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, a Vanilla install is a good idea, and something I'm soon going to try on a USB thumb drive.

My rig is a laptop that has one hard disk. Unfortunately, my partitions are not in the GUID structure, so to use GUID structure, I'd need to reformat my entire drive. (Even at that, not sure if Disk Utility will do the partitioning on the Master Boot). I currently don't have any external drives and it wouldn't be a good solution anyway, seeing that my setup has to be portable.

I'm not sure, but from what I've been reading, it sounds like a Vanilla Leopard install also needs to be on GUID structure, so I'm starting to draw the conclusion that the Hackintosh distros have included some modification to the OSInstall.mpkg to work around the GUID structure only problem on 10.5.

I got a well tamed Leopard on a tight leash, so I don't mind waiting :)

Yes, a Vanilla install is a good idea, and something I'm soon going to try on a USB thumb drive.

My rig is a laptop that has one hard disk. Unfortunately, my partitions are not in the GUID structure, so to use GUID structure, I'd need to reformat my entire drive. (Even at that, not sure if Disk Utility will do the partitioning on the Master Boot). I currently don't have any external drives and it wouldn't be a good solution anyway, seeing that my setup has to be portable.

I'm not sure, but from what I've been reading, it sounds like a Vanilla Leopard install also needs to be on GUID structure, so I'm starting to draw the conclusion that the Hackintosh distros have included some modification to the OSInstall.mpkg to work around the GUID structure only problem on 10.5.

I got a well tamed Leopard on a tight leash, so I don't mind waiting ;)

You can modify the retail image to install on an MBR partitioned hard drive, its a very easy fix.

Hi, I am new to using a vanilla install outside of a "distro". What is the best method for a vanilla install and do I have to format as? Do the methods support MBR booting, etc? I have a retail build of snow leopard.

There are many methods for a Vanilla install of Snow. I guess it all depends on what computer you have. The one I've been working with trying to get SL going is here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...181903&st=0

As for MBR, the poster of the guide has mentioned a modified OSInstall.mpkg and a link to it. I tried it and didn't work out for me. (The reason being I assume is that the modified .mpkg was from the latest beta of Snow, not a retail version). So, I made one myself from a retail version of Snow Leopard located here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jdmwmylxmhm

Don't worry, the guide will tell you what to do with it :)

It was fairly easy (to do a vanilla install) for me -

1. Install a working Leopard distro to an external USB boot drive (most OSx86 users have already done this!)
  2. Use Disk Utility to prepare a new GUID partitioned disk for Snow to install onto
  3. Insert your retail Snow DVD and open Terminal (or mount the DMG image for it)
  4. Type cd "/Volumes/MAC OS X Install DVD" [return],
  5. Type open system [return] and run the OSInstall.mpkg to install Snow Leopard (Google for instructions)
  6. Install Chameleon RC / PC_EFI bootloader package v10.1 (Click link or Google for 'Dr Hurt PC EFI 10.1')
  7. Copy default hacked kexts (dsmos, disabler, etc.) to Snow Leopard drive in the /Extra/Extensions folder
  8. Delete any unnecessary kexts and mkext cache, add -v verbose boot to boot.plist
  9. Reboot and pray :D
  10. Credit to Lord Webi for his similar guide here

After all this, don't expect everything to work perfectly, unless you have very compatible Graphics, Sound, Network and other hardware. Some well-known applications are known to not work properly in Snow Leopard (yet) so my advice is to keep 10.5.x for hackintosh and use 10.6 only for test purposes until more hacked kext installers are available for generic hardware.

Thanks for the quick and straight forward guide!

I've tried installing about 4 times, and all utter failures! But I haven't done it quite like how you did, so I'll give that a shot. Although I'm sticking with my modded OSInstaller.mpkg... I'm gonna install Snow Leopard on this MBR hard drive even if my computer starts kicking and screaming! :)

UPDATE/EDIT: Oh man, Bob Ajob, your tutorial worked!

Hmmm. Vanilla install seems like a interesting idea, but I'm on AMD. Anybody managed to do a Vanilla install on an AMD processor? A Distro would be good though. Especially considering there usually a lot smaller to download and have all the hacks out of the box. Another thing. Has anyone managed to get 64bit working on Intel or AMD?

I'm pretty sure that Vanilla install requires intel.

In my own adventures, I've gotten Snow Leopard running, but it wont recognize my laptop's keyboard or mouse (this has been a problem since 10.5.6, but it had been remedied with PS/2 kexts, but not this time). Probably going to give up and play the waiting game for a distro with the rest of ya :(

• 3 weeks later...
There are many methods for a Vanilla install of Snow. I guess it all depends on what computer you have. The one I've been working with trying to get SL going is here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...181903&st=0

As for MBR, the poster of the guide has mentioned a modified OSInstall.mpkg and a link to it. I tried it and didn't work out for me. (The reason being I assume is that the modified .mpkg was from the latest beta of Snow, not a retail version). So, I made one myself from a retail version of Snow Leopard located here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jdmwmylxmhm

Don't worry, the guide will tell you what to do with it :)

Did your osinstall work? I downloaded it and it didn't work for me. I'm puzzled. I did this with my leopard install and it worked fine. I don't know why snow leo is giving me a problem. Did you modify anything in the osinstall.mpkg other than the first line under options where it "allegedly" checks for guid? Thanks in advance for anyones help.

Hmmm. Vanilla install seems like a interesting idea, but I'm on AMD. Anybody managed to do a Vanilla install on an AMD processor? A Distro would be good though. Especially considering there usually a lot smaller to download and have all the hacks out of the box. Another thing. Has anyone managed to get 64bit working on Intel or AMD?

I think i've read somewhere that a vanilla install is also possible on amd, all important things that need to be patched must be in the chameleon Extra folder (Kernel, kexts, etc...) Correct me if im wrong.

Btw, on Intel 64bit kernel is working flawlessly, at least for me (and also for lots of other users).

tanbk168 I agree with you but the DSDT and GFX Strings etc is all confusing. For example one guide sais you need both a Vanilla Leo and Snow Leo Image. Why Vanilla Leo why not Hack Leo working version on your PC? They really are ambiguous about where to make the DSDT and EFI Studio Strings for your graphic card? In Vanilla Snow? Vanilla Leo? Or just your Current PC that you are going to install SNow onto that already has a working Leo Hack.

The guides do not spell that out at ALL!!

Plus one more thing there is confusion on what really needs to go into the chameleon Extra\Extensions. Was reading that extenstions.mkext has to go in there and whatever extra kexts are needed.

There is also confusion on which Chameleon to use or just go with Netkas 10.1 which I have heard the Chameleon RC3 breaks audio because it does not have the 64 bit tables for it. So they have reported Netkas 10.1 to work with Audio in 64 bit.

There is more confusing issues. Even after creating your own DSDT which is not that difficult for my Motherboard, there are at least two guides for my MB, Maximus Formula, one guide sais you have to modify the DSDT after you create it and add code to make the USB, Power and Sleep work as well as Audio. Another guide makes no mention of any additional code that you manually have to enter in order to have a fully functional Install.

It sounds easy on the surface when it in in fact not easy at all. The guides are ambiguous and leave the user as myself on what to do and scratch your head or wait for a distro or someone to release DSDT's for a bunch of PC MotherBoards and a GREAT GUIDE as well.

I have not found one yet without any ambiguity!!!

Been doing this now for 3 years and I feel confident that I can work around these issues and find answers through good searching for tutorials but not all of us have that experience behind us.

A good tutorial would give a brief description as to why its being done that way and only a few guides do it that way.

hi i have and toshiba laptop a205 and a desktop pc compaq persario 5095cl 5000 series it old but i want snow leo on it and some has made any snow leo work on old desktops and my laptop i installed SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM_v3.5 and works on usb but when on hard does not boot up even when i patch it with extenisons and i want to have snow leo working on both has anyone made tis happen for these pcs......i need it to work please help i been in the osx86 since it started i like snow leo work on sata 160gb with sata/ide usb connector that work make all hard drives usb.......i love to have snow leopard working on my pc..... :rolleyes: and usb sata one work great and ide one work great too but want it on my hard drive and anyone made drives for toshiba a205 audio and marvell ethernet and other stuff need it badly

After spending hours trying to get a Snow install to boot to the desktop I've just about given up. Fiddling around in single user mode trying to get my keyboard/mouse and graphics working is just too time consuming and frustrating. I'l love to see a distro DVD out sooner rather than later. Unfortunately I don't think we'll see much news about distro development here. It seems a lot of developers have abandoned this forum due to all the bloat and don't have the time to bother with updates here.

After spending hours trying to get a Snow install to boot to the desktop I've just about given up. Fiddling around in single user mode trying to get my keyboard/mouse and graphics working is just too time consuming and frustrating. I'l love to see a distro DVD out sooner rather than later. Unfortunately I don't think we'll see much news about distro development here. It seems a lot of developers have abandoned this forum due to all the bloat and don't have the time to bother with updates here.

i was on the exact same position few weeks ago.I was trying for months.

Now i run 10.6.1 on my Intel laptop and AMD desktop.It is not that hard.keep on trying and something that helped me a lot:

Dont get all confused with pcefi and different boot files etc.Just use chameelon2 RC3 if u havent tried it so far.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...