Snow Leopard works in GA-965P-S3

moarfish

332 posts in this topic

Progress Update

Things are looking good. While I'm learning lots from the vets, MadTux, Master Chief & KingPin I'm getting much closer to sorting out the ALC883 soundchip for the GA-965P-S3 Rev1.0.

I've gone through the laborious task of creating a list of ALL the verbs, DSDT, ConfigData, plus much much more....took me several hours last night...but the end result will be worth it.

The DSDT is patched with these PinConfigurations I just need to get my head around Pathmaps and Layouts.

I've got 5.1 surroung working in plain leopard using a patched AppleHDA so I'm trying to refer to that but it's different to the one info.plist LegacyHDA.

NON-GA-965P-S3 Rev 1.0 Readers

Regarding users that don't have a GA-965P-S3 Rev1.0 board. Becuase of how long it takes to get all the verb data you need I'd recommend you create your own list of info on your card by following this tutorial from start to finish : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=149128&hl=

I requried an install disc of Ubuntu only to use it as a LiveCD to get the dump. I also had an external usb drive connected so I had somewhere to save the alc883 dump. If you follow the tutorial you'll be required again to use codegraph and graphivz.

For those up to this part you have to generate your svg using codegraph and graphiz. I did this by booting using my Ubuntu Install disc and then connected to the net and downloaded codegraph. I then used the terminal and did a sudo apt-get install graphviz. I then ran the command advised in the tutorial ./codecgraph alc883_codec_dump.txt

This produced a svg which is basically a detailed scalable diagram of my sound card. It's not a necessity to create this svg file but it graphically draws up all your mixers, sources and pin complexes which is sooooo much easier to understand what is going on with all the crazy hex flying around...lol.

I strongly recommend making the svg file.

I found another great continuation of this guide which will hopefully cover Pathmaps and Layouts in more detail. I hope to have something going later tonight. (current time here 200909031000AEST)

Hi Slither,

You're a god send. Waiting patiently for as i have the same board and using 10.5.8 now.

I've got my snow leopard ready to be installed.

Thank you!

ALC883 32bit/64bit Audio Solution Found!

BlackCH beat me to it already. He's created a patched LegacyHDA Kexts specifically for Snow Leopard ALC883. Why reinvent the wheel.

Features :

4 Outputs / 2 Inputs

• 2 Line Outs Rear (Black)(Green) working - Tested Working
  • Mic In Rear (Pink)- Tested Working
  • Lin In Rear (Blue)
  • Headphone Out Front (Green) - Tested Working
  • Digital Out - Not Tested (Most likely working)

By using this audio solution you can leave your Snow Leopard AppleHDA kext untouched/vanilla/original.

Thank you very much BlackCH. This tromps all over the VoodooHDA.

Installation Instructions

Step 1. Download the BlackH's kext pack here and extract the 3 kext files into your /Extra/Extensions folder.

Step 2. Download the attached DSDT.aml and place it in /Extra/DSDT.aml (This includes the CMOS error fix)

Step 3. Get the latest Kext Utility and put it on the desktop.

Step 4. Drag your /Extra/Extensions folder to the desktop.

Step 5. Drag the Extensions folder on your desktop directly onto the Kext Utility Icon.

Step 6. Kext Utility will open and start to correct permissions and generate you an Extensions.mkext

Step 7. You'll now see a new file called "Extensions.mkext" on the desktop. Drag both the Extensions folder and the Extensions.mkext FROM the desktop to your /Extra folder. Authenticate the action when prompted and replace.

Step 8. Reboot.

Step 9. Check for sound assertions(you never know...) by booting with the -v flag.

Step 10. Test your sound in Snow Leopard.

What Now?

• I still really miss having 5.1 surround so I'll try to swap the Digital Output with one of the other 2 Line Outputs.
  • I noticed the popping sound when sound is initialized. I'll try to find out if a miniscule delay has to be set for those outputs.

DSDT.aml.zip

Hi Slither,

You're a god send. Waiting patiently for as i have the same board and using 10.5.8 now.

I've got my snow leopard ready to be installed.

Thank you!

I'm still on 10.5.6 what steps did you take to go to 10.5.8? (something to hold me over until SL)

ALC883 32bit/64bit Audio Solution Found!

BlackCH beat me to it already. He's created a patched LegacyHDA Kexts specifically for Snow Leopard ALC883. Why reinvent the wheel.

Features :

4 Outputs / 2 Inputs

• 2 Line Outs Rear (Black)(Green) working - Tested Working
  • Mic In Rear (Pink)- Tested Working
  • Lin In Rear (Blue)
  • Headphone Out Front (Green) - Tested Working
  • Digital Out - Not Tested (Most likely working)

By using this audio solution you can leave your Snow Leopard AppleHDA kext untouched/vanilla/original.

Thank you very much BlackCH. This tromps all over the VoodooHDA.

Installation Instructions

Step 1. Download the BlackH's kext pack here

Step 2. Download the attached DSDT.aml and place it in /Extra/DSDT.aml (This includes the CMOS error fix)

Step 3. Get the latest Kext Utility and put it on the desktop.

Step 4. Drag your /Extra/Extensions folder to the desktop.

Step 5. Drag the Extensions folder on your desktop directly onto the Kext Utility Icon.

Step 6. Kext Utility will open and start to correct permissions and generate you an Extensions.mkext

Step 7. You'll now see a new file called "Extensions.mkext" on the desktop. Drag both the Extensions folder and the Extensions.mkext FROM the desktop to your /Extra folder. Authenticate the action when prompted and replace.

Step 8. Reboot.

Step 9. Check for sound assertions(you never know...) by booting with the -v flag.

Step 10. Test your sound in Snow Leopard.

What Now?

• I still really miss having 5.1 surround so I'll try to swap the Digital Output with one of the other 2 Line Outputs.
  • I noticed the popping sound when sound is initialized. I'll try to find out if a miniscule delay has to be set for those outputs.

Hi Slither,

Thank you. May i ask what do we do with BlackH kexts that was downloaded on step 1?

Kind regards.

I've edited the steps.

Regards,

Slither2008

Thanks Slither,

I assumed you said put the 3 kexts in Extra and not Extra/Extensions?

By the way, i got audio to work, however, the sound seems mono and not stereo.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

System profile for audio

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A002

Audio ID: 883

Available Devices:

Speaker:

Connection: Internal

Headphone:

Connection: Combo

Line Out:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

Line In:

S/P-DIF Out:

Thanks Slither,

I assumed you said put the 3 kexts in Extra and not Extra/Extensions?

By the way, i got audio to work, however, the sound seems mono and not stereo.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

System profile for audio

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A002

Audio ID: 883

Available Devices:

Speaker:

Connection: Internal

Headphone:

Line Out:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

Line In:

S/P-DIF Out:

Sorry, yes that's correct /Extra/Extensions. I was in a rush for work when I edited...lol.

The Mono/Stereo issue is quiet interesting. I'll check it out later tonight. I noticed what is listed in your System Profiler seems incomplete. I managed to swap out the Digital Out for the Orange Line Out by editing the Pathmaps. I'm still confused why there's a popping sound when the sound is initialised. A way to reproduce this is if you go System Prefs->Sound->OutputTab and hear the pop when you change between some outputs listed there.

Regards,

Slither2008.

[update] : It appears that apple's agressive power saving may be the cause of the popping. The intel chip is going into sleep mode and makes a popping sound when the chip is woken. I'll keep looking for a solution.

[update 2] : tmongkol has suggested to set the SMBIOS as MacPro to resolve the popping sound. I'll try this when I get home. Maybe someone else can confirm this for me. Can anyone else confirm the Mono output issue?

Sorry, yes that's correct /Extra/Extensions. I was in a rush for work when I edited...lol.

The Mono/Stereo issue is quiet interesting. I'll check it out later tonight. I noticed what is listed in your System Profiler seems incomplete. I managed to swap out the Digital Out for the Orange Line Out by editing the Pathmaps. I'm still confused why there's a popping sound when the sound is initialised. A way to reproduce this is if you go System Prefs->Sound->OutputTab and hear the pop when you change between some outputs listed there.

Regards,

Slither2008.

[update] : It appears that apple's agressive power saving may be the cause of the popping. The intel chip is going into sleep mode and makes a popping sound when the chip is woken. I'll keep looking for a solution.

[update 2] : tmongkol has suggested to set the SMBIOS as MacPro to resolve the popping sound. I'll try this when I get home. Maybe someone else can confirm this for me. Can anyone else confirm the Mono output issue?

Hi slither,

The mono effect might be due to internal speakers as output. I could not select any other output except digital output.

The sound was much better in my 10.5.8, more stereo effect and crisps.

Is there any way to modify the alc883 legacy kexts?

Would the alc883audio.pkg that works on 10.5.8 work here?

Thank you.

I'm still on 10.5.6 what steps did you take to go to 10.5.8? (something to hold me over until SL)

Hi Powaking,

I was using ideneb 10.5.6 and updated using vanilla kernel. No special instructions needed. If you're on voodoo kernel, you must update to the correct version to match the OS. search around this forum and the answers should be there.

Thank you.

Hello,

Did you guys tried the firewire on this board ?

I have a ga965p-dq6 & the firewire doesn t work.

It worked fine on leopard 10.5.8.

IOFIREWIRE.kext is loaded but system profiler says " unable to list firewire components "

I tried to replace the kext with the one leopard used without success.

Any idea ?

Thanks

Tmongkol was right, setting the SMproductname to MacPro3,1 fixed the popping noise from the sound card.

Hi Slither!!

First of all, thank you very much for your help. I have checked all the indications you gave, but I can't boot with the Chameleon 2 RC1 because I have random KPs and I don't know why. Then I'm using the Chameleon v1012 and changing to MacPro3,1 doesn't fix the popping noise.

I think it's because bootloader doesn't charge the SMBios.plist.

How can I fix the randoms KPs with the Chameleon 2 RC 1? I have repaired permissions with the other bootloather and it doesn't fix it.

I have a GA-965P-S3 rev 1.0 Firmware version 12

Thanks

Thank you Slither2008. I got sound working using a patched DSDT and Legacy HDA kexts.

No problem. I'm still working on an improved version atm. I've managed to get the headphones and the green Line out to auto detect and switch when you plug headphones in at the front. Works really good.

I'm still modifying it for 5.1. I've got the pathmaps and layoutid identical to what I had on leopard, there's some other important factor I'm missing. I pretty sure the verbs I'm using are not in the right combination.

I'll again check later tonight.

Hi Slither!!

First of all, thank you very much for your help. I have checked all the indications you gave, but I can't boot with the Chameleon 2 RC1 because I have random KPs and I don't know why. Then I'm using the Chameleon v1012 and changing to MacPro3,1 doesn't fix the popping noise.

I think it's because bootloader doesn't charge the SMBios.plist.

How can I fix the randoms KPs with the Chameleon 2 RC 1? I have repaired permissions with the other bootloather and it doesn't fix it.

I have a GA-965P-S3 rev 1.0 Firmware version 12

Thanks

You welcome. I manually changed the SMproductname in my SMBios.plist. I think there are smarts in the AppleHDA regarding power management that it applies depending on what mac product the driver detects. Can you send a screenshot of your System Profiler.

I found that after I installed Snow Leopard, I had to install the BSD.mpkg from the Install disc. I then rebooted into safe mode using -s -x32. I used the commands I've previously listed to regenerate the kext cache. After that my installation was rock solid. Also make sure you're using the latest netkas boot file (place it in root /).

Good luck!

You welcome. I manually changed the SMproductname in my SMBios.plist. I think there are smarts in the AppleHDA regarding power management that it applies depending on what mac product the driver detects. Can you send a screenshot of your System Profiler.

I found that after I installed Snow Leopard, I had to install the BSD.mpkg from the Install disc. I then rebooted into safe mode using -s -x32. I used the commands I've previously listed to regenerate the kext cache. After that my installation was rock solid. Also make sure you're using the latest netkas boot file (place it in root /).

Good luck!

I have edited my SMBios.plist changing the SMProductname but I'm still having poping noises. I upload a screenshot of my System Profiler, I'm using Chameleon v1012 and the System Profiler doesn't show a MacPro Identifier but with "Chameleon 2.0 r431+Netkas PC EFI 10 1 boot" it shows it.

I have problems booting in 64bit(-x64 flag), I think system doesn't charge the kexts in Extra/Extensions and I have a KP shownig down:

post-104621-1252158061_thumb.jpg

When I boot in 32bit:

- No KP with Chameleon v1012.

post-104621-1252156833_thumb.jpg

- Random KP with Chameleon 2 RC1.

post-104621-1252157167_thumb.jpg

post-104621-1252157812_thumb.jpg

What can I do? I don't know what's the problem?

Could you write all the steps and upload the necessary files?

Thanks you very much.

Hardware: GA-965p-S3 rev 1.0 firmware F12, 2.13GHz E6300, 4GB RAM, 8600GTS

I have edited my SMBios.plist changing the SMProductname but I'm still having poping noises. I upload a screenshot of my System Profiler, I'm using Chameleon v1012 and the System Profiler doesn't show a MacPro Identifier but with "Chameleon 2.0 r431+Netkas PC EFI 10 1 boot" it shows it.

I have problems booting in 64bit(-x64 flag), I think system doesn't charge the kexts in Extra/Extensions and I have a KP shownig down:

post-104621-1252158061_thumb.jpg

When I boot in 32bit:

- No KP with Chameleon v1012.

post-104621-1252156833_thumb.jpg

- Random KP with Chameleon 2 RC1.

post-104621-1252157167_thumb.jpg

post-104621-1252157812_thumb.jpg

What can I do? I don't know what's the problem?

Could you write all the steps and upload the necessary files?

Thanks you very much.

Hardware: GA-965p-S3 rev 1.0 firmware F12, 2.13GHz E6300, 4GB RAM, 8600GTS

Hi Cartier82,

Screenshot 1 : I noticed that your fakesmc by netkas is not loading. You're going to have to try and resolve that. I've attached the copy I'm using.

Screenshot 2 : The Identifier (SMproductname) should be MacPro3,1.

Screenshot 3 : I see you corrected this and it now properly reads MacPro3,1. Another difference I did was to set the BOOT Rom Version also. Set it to MP31.00C1.080209154. (See attached screenshot). Lastly I entered in my Snow Leopard UUID (Disk Utility -> Get Info on Snow Leopard partition), you'll see I've entered all 3 adjustments in the smbios.plist which is attached. I've also attached the fakesmc.kext I'm using also (Thanks Netkas).

Screenshot2009-09-06at10936PM.png

Here is my Audio listed in the System Profiler.

Screenshot2009-09-03at105837PM.png

fakesmc.kext.zip

smbios.plist.zip

Hi Slither2008,

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do you get that window "Audio Devices" in your above image?

That's not an ignorant question. It wasn't until recently that I discovered it myself. It's called "Audio Midi Setup" and can be found in "/Applications/Utilities/Audio Midi Setup"

I got some great news I'll post shortly! :(

That's not an ignorant question. It wasn't until recently that I discovered it myself. It's called "Audio Midi Setup" and can be found in "/Applications/Utilities/Audio Midi Setup"

I got some great news I'll post shortly! :(

That's cool. Thanks. BTW, my internal speakers can only do 2-channels. From the Configure Speakers button, the selection of the Multichannel 5.1 surround is greyed out. How can this be enabled?

That's cool. Thanks. BTW, my internal speakers can only do 2-channels. From the Configure Speakers button, the selection of the Multichannel 5.1 surround is greyed out. How can this be enabled?

I got 7.1 Surround working. I'll do up a guide for you this evening with the new sound kexts I've patched.

Hi Cartier82,

Screenshot 1 : I noticed that your fakesmc by netkas is not loading. You're going to have to try and resolve that. I've attached the copy I'm using.

Screenshot 2 : The Identifier (SMproductname) should be MacPro3,1.

Screenshot 3 : I see you corrected this and it now properly reads MacPro3,1. Another difference I did was to set the BOOT Rom Version also. Set it to MP31.00C1.080209154. (See attached screenshot). Lastly I entered in my Snow Leopard UUID (Disk Utility -> Get Info on Snow Leopard partition), you'll see I've entered all 3 adjustments in the smbios.plist which is attached. I've also attached the fakesmc.kext I'm using also (Thanks Netkas).

Screenshot2009-09-06at10936PM.png

Here is my Audio listed in the System Profiler.

Screenshot2009-09-03at105837PM.png

Hi Slither2008.

I have fix all my problems:

- First of all, I have activated the 64bit HPET support in my Bios.

- I have recompiled my DSDT.aml (with HPET fix)

- I have corrected the SMbios and the PlatformUUID with the UUID from my HD.

- The fakesmc has been always the same (last Netkas Kext).

- I have deleted the Disabler.kext because it doesn't charge in 64bit mode (I think it doesn't support it). I don't know what kexts it disabler.

- Then I reboot in 64bit mode (-x64 flag) and everything is OK.

Also I have edited the smbios to show RAM as a DDR2, changing SMmemtype to 19. Now I'm going to change the BOOT Rom Version and I'll try charge the JmicronATA.Kext.

This is my Audio listed in System Profiler:

post-104621-1252229422_thumb.jpg

And my Extra folder:

post-104621-1252229436_thumb.jpg

To finish, I would like to ask you two questions:

Do you have your HPET in 64bit mode in your Bios?

Do you have any problem with the Disabler.kext in 64bit mode?

Thank you very much.

[updarte] I haven't problems with your Disabler.kext in 64 bit mode.

Hi Slither2008.

I have fix all my problems:

- First of all, I have activated the 64bit HPET support in my Bios.

- I have recompiled my DSDT.aml (with HPET fix)

- I have corrected the SMbios and the PlatformUUID with the UUID from my HD.

- The fakesmc has been always the same (last Netkas Kext).

- I have deleted the Disabler.kext because it doesn't charge in 64bit mode (I think it doesn't support it). I don't know what kexts it disabler.

- Then I reboot in 64bit mode (-x64 flag) and everything is OK.

Also I have edited the smbios to show RAM as a DDR2, changing SMmemtype to 19. Now I'm going to change the BOOT Rom Version and I'll try charge the JmicronATA.Kext.

This is my Audio listed in System Profiler:

post-104621-1252229422_thumb.jpg

And my Extra folder:

post-104621-1252229436_thumb.jpg

To finish, I would like to ask you two questions:

Do you have your HPET in 64bit mode in your Bios?

Do you have any problem with the Disabler.kext in 64bit mode?

Thank you very much.

Hi Slither,

Thank you for your posts. I'm now running Snow thanks to your guide. Everything working fine, no panics whatever.

Audio working too without the pop. Do you know how to set boot timer in chameleon 2 RC1. I have a few partitions and would like it to auto start after 5 secs instead of waiting for my prompt. Thank you.

Hi Slither,

Thank you for your posts. I'm now running Snow thanks to your guide. Everything working fine, no panics whatever.

Audio working too without the pop. Do you know how to set boot timer in chameleon 2 RC1. I have a few partitions and would like it to auto start after 5 secs instead of waiting for my prompt. Thank you.

Is this what you need?

<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>5</string>
	<key>Wait</key>
	<string>No</string>

Edit in com.apple.Boot.plist.