 [GUIDE] SNOW on Abit IP35-Pro! (ICH9-R)

ricola

360 posts in this topic

I tried this on my ip35-e. I did everything the same and modified the DSDT but when I boot I get still waiting for root device. Anyone know how I can fix this. I can run 10.5.8 vanilla unmodified with chameleon so im sure there is a way to get it to work.

I tried this on my ip35-e. I did everything the same and modified the DSDT but when I boot I get still waiting for root device. Anyone know how I can fix this. I can run 10.5.8 vanilla unmodified with chameleon so im sure there is a way to get it to work.

check the Hard drive controller mode in bios.

I have followed these instructions yet I am running into the error:

panic cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80002cbf74 kernal trap at 0xffffff80004f65c3

I am running a IP35-Pro with a Quad 6600, and a 9800GTX, 2 banks of ram. No other components other than hard drives.

I've tried compiling my own DSDT (it had errors. I corrected them, but still same error at boot.)

I've tried removing smbios.plist and using the built in default.

I've tried booting without my custom graphics strings.

Note:

When I execute

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions

there are a ton of errors. Is this normal?

Any ideas? I've ran out.

Hi Mattswell,

Put your own DSDT.aml in /Volumes/Snow/Extra

and remove /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/LegacyHDA.kext as it related with my DSDT.aml

then Drag /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions folder and Drop it onto Kext Utility icon ;) see pic below.

se8wo0.jpg

it will create new Extensions.mkext for you.

I tried to install it by booting the image because of the error and messed up language if you install it from another OS but I always get kernel panics during the install (even with -x32).

But anyway I had some other issues with the install from the OS... 64-bit is working but I have the feeling it's not completly stable (kernel panic when I checked something with quartz debug), spaces is very laggy compared to leopard and my xbench score is lower (250 in leopard, 210 in snow leopard). Do you have the same issues @ricola? My hardware is mostly the same as yours, I only have a 9600GT instead of a 9400GT.

€: if you want to use the optical out, you have to use a different LegacyHDA.kext, the one ricola included in his package lists 2 line-outs and no digital out. So use the kext in the folder "3outs2ins regular headphone" from this package to have a working digital out.

Superb tutorial, Ricola. Everything installed without a hitch. However, I've got two questions for you. First, how stable is this? I've heard that 10.6 is un-stabled when teamed up with Chameleon 2.0 I figure you're running this exclusively so have you ran into any kernel panics? and Second, my hard drives aren't showing up on the desktop. Is this a new "feature" of Snow Leopard or is this something I need to fix. My SATA drives are set as ACHI so they're being detected, they just aren't showing up on the desktop only in finder.

Thanks again for this great tutorial!

Superb tutorial, Ricola. Everything installed without a hitch. However, I've got two questions for you. First, how stable is this? I've heard that 10.6 is un-stabled when teamed up with Chameleon 2.0 I figure you're running this exclusively so have you ran into any kernel panics? and Second, my hard drives aren't showing up on the desktop. Is this a new "feature" of Snow Leopard or is this something I need to fix. My SATA drives are set as ACHI so they're being detected, they just aren't showing up on the desktop only in finder.

I've installed it now with booting the image and got only one kernel panic at the first boot with 64-bit (had to boot with -x32)... now 64-bit seems stable. Only the OpenGL performance is bad with my 9600GT compared to Leopard and spaces is sluggish. To get your harddrive showing up on the desktop you have to enable it in finder -> settings.

I tried to install it by booting the image because of the error and messed up language if you install it from another OS but I always get kernel panics during the install (even with -x32).

But anyway I had some other issues with the install from the OS... 64-bit is working but I have the feeling it's not completly stable (kernel panic when I checked something with quartz debug), spaces is very laggy compared to leopard and my xbench score is lower (250 in leopard, 210 in snow leopard). Do you have the same issues @ricola? My hardware is mostly the same as yours, I only have a 9600GT instead of a 9400GT.

€: if you want to use the optical out, you have to use a different LegacyHDA.kext, the one ricola included in his package lists 2 line-outs and no digital out. So use the kext in the folder "3outs2ins regular headphone" from this package to have a working digital out.

I've been running my computer for about a week :D, and no single KP, quite stable i think.

Thanks for the LegacyHDA link. :unsure:

Ricola, what is the BIOS version of your IP35 Pro mobo? I've just read that DSDT should come from the same bios version. So, before I use your modified verison of DSDT.aml I have to be sure. Or maybe I'm wrong?

I'm not sure about my bios, B12 maybe? it about a year i didn't update 'em lol

Upload your DSDT.aml, i'll patch it for you

Hey LonelyTV, ur welcome :D, glad to know that it is working for you, and about hard drives not showing up, 'Black already told you how.

I've been running my computer for about a week :D, and no single KP, quite stable i think.

Thanks for the LegacyHDA link. ;)

Yes its also quite stable here now... only the sluggish spaces is annoying. By the way the AHCIPortInjector.kext is not neccessary, it works without it. ;)

Hi Boundone,

How's ur IP35-Pro? SL running in it? :P

Hi! Unfortunately not!

I tried your guide and get ACPI-related kernel panics. I even installed newer and older

Chameleons with EFI 10.1, but no luck. Does it have something to do with some BIOS

settings which might differ from your installation?

Some pointers would be great!

Nevertheless it is a great guide, Ricola!

Boundone

Hi! Unfortunately not!

I tried your guide and get ACPI-related kernel panics. I even installed newer and older

Chameleons with EFI 10.1, but no luck. Does it have something to do with some BIOS

settings which might differ from your installation?

Some pointers would be great!

Nevertheless it is a great guide, Ricola!

Boundone

@Boundone : I just set SATA to AHCI, the rest is normal. Can you upload your DSDT.aml ?

@'Black : how u get QE/CI for ur graphic card in Leopard?

@Boundone : I just set SATA to AHCI, the rest is normal. Can you upload your DSDT.aml ?

3868033428_720ee5de7d_o.jpg

Hey, I used your DSDT.aml in the guide and do not use my own. I tried to make my own,

but got errors in the use of "DSDT Patcher":

./dsdt_fixed.txt  5819:						 Store (GAHS (0x00), Local6)
Error	4060 -			Called method returns no value ^ 

Shall I ignore it and force to compile one?

Thanks for your help!

Boundone

Upload your DSDT.aml, i'll patch it for you

Thanks for trying to help me but unfortunately I don't know how to create my own DSDT.aml file... I know its a shame but... never done that before. Is there any soft to do this? I know that DSDTPatcherGUI_1.0 is for applying the file, but I don't know how to create one from scratch...

Thanks for trying to help me but unfortunately I don't know how to create my own DSDT.aml file... I know its a shame but... never done that before. Is there any soft to do this? I know that DSDTPatcherGUI_1.0 is for applying the file, but I don't know how to create one from scratch...
- copy DSDT Patcher1 folder from Downloads to Desktop - open a DSDT Patcher1 folder

- open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) - drag & drop DSDT Patcher into Terminal

- type -newHPET

/Users/user name/Desktop/DSDT_Patcher/DSDT\ Patcher -newHPET

and press Enter until you need to select Which OS to emulate? [0=Darwin,1=WinXP,2=WinVista], type 0 and press Enter

- in debug folder you'll find dsdt_fixed.txt, just send me that file ;)

- copy a DSDT Patcher1 folder from Downloads to Desktop - open a DSDT Patcher1 folder

- open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) - drag & drop DSDT Patcher into Terminal

- type -newHPET

/Users/user name/Desktop/DSDT_Patcher/DSDT\ Patcher �€“newHPET

and press Enter until you need to select Which OS to emulate? [0=Darwin,1=WinXP,2=WinVista], type 0 and press Enter

- in debug folder you'll find dsdt_fixed.txt, just send me that file :(

Got it ;)

@Waveman777 : I attached ur DSDT.aml

and place your DSDT.aml to /Volumes/Snow/Extra

Type this in terminal :

sudo -s

chown 0:0 /Volumes/Snow

kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions

@'Black : EFI String working fine in SL ;)

@Waveman777 : I attached ur DSDT.aml

After you put DSDT.aml to /Volumes/Snow/Extra

Type this in terminal :

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions
sudo  kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext  /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions

Thanks a lot man, great job ;)

Now, if you can tell me how did you make it... ? It would be very helpful in the future, I'm not gonna bother you next time :P Did you just add Audio and Network options to this file? How did you compile it? with iaslMe.v1.2?

Thanks a lot man, great job :)

Now, if you can tell me how did you make it... ? It would be very helpful in the future, I'm not gonna bother you next time :) Did you just add Audio and Network options to this file? How did you compile it? with iaslMe.v1.2?

Just add 'CMOS reset fix' and add HDEF(Audio), your network should work OOB :D. Compiled it with DSDT Patcher by fassl

Just add 'CMOS reset fix' and add HDEF(Audio), your network should work OOB :) . Compiled it with DSDT Patcher by fassl

When I was making dsdt_fixed.txt for you I got 1 error and a few warnings, is it normal? So the only way to compile DSDT.aml file is to use -f option to force it, is that correct?

My specs

Abit IP35-Pro

Q6600 quad

BFG 7900GS 256MB

7. You have to modify GFX string in com.apple.boot.plist and information in smbios.plist to match yours.

Was not able to do this as my current install (iATKOS) does not seem to have these files. At least not in that same location.

10. open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

Install failed first time. Start over, repeated same procedure, remove all printer drivers options. Success!

11. kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions

Gives tons of errors. Mostly of the type

kextcache: kext /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext is not valid
  kernel extension /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext is not valid; skipping it and any plugins
  kext diagnostics:
  Validation failures:
  {
   "Executable file doesn't contain kernel extension code" = true
  }
  Missing dependencies:
  {
   "com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily" = 
	   "No valid version of this dependency can be found"
  }

Reboot and try anyway and I am getting same KP as mustiCas

Panic (cpu 0 caller 0x.....) Unable to find driver for this platform :\ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/iokit /Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1389

Having Problems with DSDT Patcher GUI same as boundone

./dsdt_fixed.txt  5819:						 Store (GAHS (0x00), Local6)
  Error	4060 -			Called method returns no value ^

Force compile and still get same KP.

Tried DSDT.aml that you posted for waveman777 but no joy. Assume my hardware does not match his.

Having trouble working through issue as I have no idea what DSDT.aml is for so can't troubleshoot in any logical manner.

Thanx for any help.

-vividvew

made a little progress.

got 7900GS-256MB EFI string from OSX86Tools and inserted in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Still no idea what to do with plist that OSX86tools generated.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
 <dict>
	 <key>@0,compatible</key>
	 <string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
	 <key>@0,device_type</key>
	 <string>display</string>
	 <key>@0,name</key>
	 <string>NVDA,Display-A</string>
	 <key>@1,compatible</key>
	 <string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
	 <key>@1,device_type</key>
	 <string>display</string>
	 <key>@1,name</key>
	 <string>NVDA,Display-B</string>
	 <key>NVCAP</key>
	 <data>
	 BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=
	 </data>
	 <key>NVPM</key>
	 <data>
	 AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==
	 </data>
	 <key>VRAM,totalsize</key>
	 <string>0x10000000</string>
	 <key>device_type</key>
	 <string>NVDA,Parent</string>
	 <key>model</key>
	 <string>nVidia GeForce 7900 GS</string>
	 <key>name</key>
	 <string>display</string>
	 <key>rom-revision</key>
	 <string>nVidia GeForce 7900 GS OpenGL Engine [EFI]</string>
 </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

got new Extensions.mkext generated by using Kext Utility instead of CLI.

still can't get past KP. Googled around and found out what DSDT.aml is for.

compile with force option but still get same KP

tried just removing DSDT.aml but then get KP about HPET

tried using iasl to compile in gentoo but get 3 compile errors instead of 1.

attaching contents of my DSDT session dir in case at all useful.

dsdt.zip