 - P5W DH Deluxe - [SUCCESS]

rsilves

185 posts in this topic

I have p5w dh, with sapphire HD4870, only difference to this guide is i'm running 2901 firmware

could really do with a hand, when i boot it the only thing i get just a black screen after its run through all the kexts.

Have a few spare drives to play with, a fridge full of beer + pizza and a few quid for anyone that can help.

I'm in central London, near Oxford Circus, behind john lewis

Please pm me a cash price and what weekday evening/night or weekend day you might be available to help, I'm desperate and fed up! :)

Thanks

I have p5w dh, with sapphire HD4870, only difference to this guide is i'm running 2901 firmware

could really do with a hand, when i boot it the only thing i get just a black screen after its run through all the kexts.

Have a few spare drives to play with, a fridge full of beer + pizza and a few quid for anyone that can help.

I'm in central London, near Oxford Circus, behind john lewis

Please pm me a cash price and what weekday evening/night or weekend day you might be available to help, I'm desperate and fed up! :whistle:

Thanks

Hi, did you try using EVOEnabler.kext in your E/E folder? I have a HD4870 card and it works for me.

Hey guys, I was able to get SL installed on my p5wdh thanks mostly to this thread. I wanted to chime in and contribute my dsdt.aml file I created for the 2901 firmware. It's what I am using right now and I can confirm its good.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynynd0gemi2

My install experience went something like this...

Had a blank HD hooked up to the computer with Leo booted on primary. Only used 1 partition instead of 2. Used Rodrigo's method of installing SL to the blank HD while booted in Leopard. Next I used the latest PC EFI from netkas to install Chameleon and nessesary boot file on the SL harddrive. After that I went in the /Extra folder that gets created in the SL harddrive and loaded it up with the kexts, dsdt.aml, etc exactly like Rodrigo did. I then went into terminal and correctly set the ownership and permissions (chmod & chown step in Rodrigo's instructions). Booted up the HD and the Chameleon bootloader popped up. With the SL drive selected I ran "-x32 -s" to get into 32-bit single user mode. mounted the drive and ran the kextcache commands that Rodrigo used. this is really important but really tedious. after that I rebooted and like magic everything worked!!!

I know some people have had stability issues with the 64-bit kernel and extensions enabled but this hasn't been my experience. I have to confess that I didn't spend much time in 64-bit mode due to my wifi drivers being compatible but I haven't ever had a panic when booted into it. Using onboard audio and it is 100%, my GeForce 8600 is 100% and no issues taking advantage of all 8GB of RAM (unlike my previous Leo install). If anyone wants any info about my machine or install just let me know and I'll try to obilige. I'm def no expert but I'll try and help :)

Hi, did you try using EVOEnabler.kext in your E/E folder? I have a HD4870 card and it works for me.

Hey,

Yes, do I need to remove anything from S/L/E aswell?

Could you post the link to download the same file as you, I've found at least two different versions of it so far (compared by MD5 sums)

Hey,

Yes, do I need to remove anything from S/L/E aswell?

Could you post the link to download the same file as you, I've found at least two different versions of it so far (compared by MD5 sums)

No. I didn't remove anything from S/L/E.

You can follow this post and download the EVOEnabler.kext from the link in that post. Put it in E/E and don't forget to rebuild mkext.

Note: Although the post mentioned something about activating 2 kexts, don't. What he was trying to do was to put back those 2 kexts in S/L/E which he removed earlier. I just want to be sure you are not confused by it. And you don't have to edit anything in the downloaded kext.

one way that I get 480mb/s USB and all ports are working is:

- move AppleHPET.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext out of /S/L/E

- cache your kext like usual

- reboot and enter BIOS configuration

- goto Advanced > JumperFree

- set (i think) AI NOS to Manual

- set your CPU Frequency (your FSB divide to 4)

- set your DRAM Frequency/Speed (your memory speed)

- Save and reboot again

I'm currently have all the USB ports working with High-Speed.

Hope this could help.

Tommy

I understand Apple changed the Finder default settings. Go to (menu) Finder > Preferences and enable the hard drives there.

DOH! How embarrassing. Thanks.

It simply doesn't go to sleep, screen turns off and computer stays on (no fans off, etc).

I have both kexts from Stell's blog.

Mine sleeps, but won't wake up.

e.g.: try 's3 only' instead of 'auto' in the pm-settings.... there might be more things the check into, though...

I'll give that a whirl now. Thanks.

one way that I get 480mb/s USB and all ports are working is:

- move AppleHPET.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext out of /S/L/E

- cache your kext like usual

- reboot and enter BIOS configuration

- goto Advanced > JumperFree

- set (i think) AI NOS to Manual

- set your CPU Frequency (your FSB divide to 4)

- set your DRAM Frequency/Speed (your memory speed)

- Save and reboot again

I'm currently have all the USB ports working with High-Speed.

How odd that your CPU settings would affect your USB?

Did you try all that just after moving the kexts or did you have to set manual bus clocks too? Weird.

For the sound I'm thinking I'd like to try the 'proper' solution like this : http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...entry1993 rather than HDA inject so I can have Optical out working too.

The CPU Settings does not affect the USB.

It is more like a domino effect.

- Fixing USB need to move AppleHPET.kext

- you will get KP because AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is looking for AppleHPET.kext which will not be there

- so we end up move AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

- then you will get random KP because AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is missing when you have your CPU frequency set to Auto

- so we end up set the CPU frequency to a fix number

Hope this is less confusing.

Tommy

Ok so here is the contents of my Extra directory

I can't for the life of me get past a black screen after the kexts have loaded, it says something real quick, but then black and I can't see anything.

Someone - please help! what am I doing wrong?!

(uuid in smbios.plist, com.apple.Boot.plist and PlatformUUID.kext)

/Volumes/boot/Extra/ 
smbios.plist		dsdt.aml		com.apple.Boot.plist	Themes			Extensions

/Volumes/boot/Extra/Extensions:
fakesmc.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext	
IOAudioFamily.kext
AHCIPortInjector.kext
VoodooHDA.kext
OSvKernDSPLib.kext	
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
Sleepenabler.kext		
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext	
EVOenabler.kext
PlatformUUID.kext		
JMicronATA.kext			
AppleRTC.kext

I can't for the life of me get past a black screen after the kexts have loaded, it says something real quick, but then black and I can't see anything.

(uuid in smbios.plist, com.apple.Boot.plist and PlatformUUID.kext)

/Volumes/boot/Extra/ 
smbios.plist		dsdt.aml		com.apple.Boot.plist	Themes			Extensions

/Volumes/boot/Extra/Extensions:
fakesmc.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext	
IOAudioFamily.kext
AHCIPortInjector.kext
VoodooHDA.kext
OSvKernDSPLib.kext	
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
Sleepenabler.kext		
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext	
EVOenabler.kext
PlatformUUID.kext		
JMicronATA.kext			
AppleRTC.kext

@shoutdown, just wanna ask if you cache those kexts?

Might wanna ask Rodrigo since he has similar GPU. All i need for my 7900GS is an EFI string in boot.plist.

Tommy

Hi shoutdown,

Did you check your /var/log/kernel.log and see anything unusual there?

I have the exact same problem....I followed Rodrigo's (as well as thousand others) guide.....but after loading Kexts ....... just a blank screen!.

Any clue?....Does anyone know how to debug the bootup process?

Macaddit, I know this might sound silly, and completely wrong, but what screen are you using, I'm growing a sneaking suspicion that its 'working' but running my screen at a resolution it can't take and its a crappy dell so isn't being helpful enough to tell me that its out of its resolution or anything.

Macaddit, I know this might sound silly, and completely wrong, but what screen are you using, I'm growing a sneaking suspicion that its 'working' but running my screen at a resolution it can't take and its a crappy dell so isn't being helpful enough to tell me that its out of its resolution or anything.

When I was kexting, I would start with the very basic kexts needed (AppleRTC.kext, fakesmc.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, PlatformUUID.kext) and add the others one by one. This means:

Run the system first (I think it worked under -x32 -s)

Add a kext, run kextcaches,

Reboot and try different boot flags (and write down the different KPs),

Then add another, etc etc.

This is the way I debugged my process. I knowit should be working, but as you have another graphics card, there can be a kext that always causes the problem.

For the first boot, if you reach -x32 -s, run kextcaches and then try boot flags again.

Luck,

Rodrigo

PS: And read shoutdown's last post.

nope, still black screen, someone help please this is driving me utterly insane!

nothing being put in /var/log

possibly to do with kernel not loading?

Which makes me wonder whether my processor is capable, any sane way to test?

Its the only thing thats possibly different to everyone elses build?

any clues anyone?

Shoutdown (with considerably less hair than before)

Using my slr camera with a fast shutter speed set I was able to determine the last thing it says before going to a back screen is "Starting Darwin x86"

Does anyone know what might be going wrong in between that and it booting to single user mode?

After two weeks of suffering the same problem as you, I gave up!

I tryied everything on my p5w with a 7200GS.....and always a black screen after loading all kext from E/E and /S/L/E

I'm waiting for Ikaros.....

Shoutdown.....did you tryied the new Chameleon RC3 ? It's the only thing I haven't tryied so far.

Also look at:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1261990

Keep me posted !!!!!!!!!!

I tryied everything on my p5w with a 7200GS.....and always a black screen after loading all kext from E/E and /S/L/E

Shoutdown.....did you tryied the new Chameleon RC3 ? It's the only thing I haven't tryied so far.

Also look at:

it's disheartening to see the amount of trouble you all had using a p5w dh, i'm using bios 2801, i never even had a kernel panic, everything worked for me right off the bat, all i had to do was add audio via voodoo and i'm booting in 64bit mode stable with everything working, i installed from leopard, and didn't even have to add a kext or anything, my dsdt worked and never had an issue, sorry you all did :rolleyes:

Remove your UUID from you com.apple.Boot.plist, it shouldn't be needed there and might cause troubles booting. Make sure your IDE controller is set to AHCI.

I'll give that a go, thanks

Also look at:

Will do, pm me if you find resolution, i'll do the same, I'll give the rc3 chameleon a go and also that automated installer

it's disheartening to see the amount of trouble you all had using a p5w dh, i'm using bios 2801, i never even had a kernel panic, everything worked for me right off the bat, all i had to do was add audio via voodoo and i'm booting in 64bit mode stable with everything working, i installed from leopard, and didn't even have to add a kext or anything, my dsdt worked and never had an issue, sorry you all did :thumbsdown_anim:

wanna swap rigs?

hello , i d like to tell you my SL story here.

at first, i still feel like a total noob despite the fact that i have a kallyway leopard osx version running on my pc for 2 years.

i followed this thread since it exists , but was always uncertainhow to do my installation.

the first thing i did was to upgrade my BIOS to 2901.

after that i opend OSInstall.mpkg and installed SL to a GUID partition called SNOW on a new harddrive.

when the installation was complete i took the Chameleon RC3 and installed it on that SNOW partition, after that i created the Extensions folder in Extra put the kexts Rodrigo listed in there.

in the Extra folder i put also the "com.apple.boot.plist" and "smbios.plist" out of Rodrigos ZIP. the "dsdt.aml" i took from this post.

now i added theses commands for my partition ( at this point i didnt knew what i was doing...just did it ;) )

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/SNOW/Extra/Extensions/*

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/SNOW/Extra/Extensions/*

Not sure if necessary/useful, but I did:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/SNOW/Extra/*

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/SNOW/Extra/*

with the UInstaller i added the graphic string and restarted.

with Chameloen i chose my SNOW partition to start and everything worked without any problems!!!

but the only thing is, i cant connect to internet although my Network says it is connected.

does anyone has an answer for me?

cheers