 - P5W DH Deluxe - [SUCCESS]

rsilves

185 posts in this topic

Hi Tommy,

I've been following this thread with interest and thanks for being a great help to others in the quest to install SL.

I've a question. In post 40, you indicated that an EFI partition has to be created in one of the HD partition. In post 44, you didn't mention about this EFI partition. Is the EFI partition really needed?

Hi Vince,

Let me give you an example.

Here is my original partition scheme on the SL drive (yes i dedicate a whole drive for SL alone).

disk/partition Type Name

disk0s1 EFI

disk0s2 HFS Chameleon

disk0s3 HFS SnowLeopard

After i tested that SL is booted perfectly without any interaction, i erase disk0s1 with HFS filesystem and move all the file in disk0s2 to disk0s1.

From there i deleted disk0s2 (Chameleon), and disk0s3 (SnowLeopard) is now see as disk0s2.

So, here is my current partition scheme:

partition Type Name

disk0s1 HFS EFI

disk0s2 HFS SnowLeopard

From my understanding, you can use your hidden EFI partition (install the Chameleon EFI package).

What you need to do is mount that hidden partition and replace the "boot" from with the one from PC_EFI 10.1.

I haven't try that route and confirm it yet, you might wanna do some search on that.

Regarding whether or not EFI partition is need, it is up to you to answer.

In my current setup, I do. However, it is not necessarily apply in your case.

The reason i recommend create a separate partition for Chameleon so that it is easy for you to work with swapping kexts and cache them while you are trying to get it working.

Hope that would answer your question.

Tommy

I keep getting

kextcache: processing architecture any
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/AHCIPortInjector.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/ATAPortInjector.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/IOAudioFamily.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/OpenHaltRestart.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/OSvKernDSPLib.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
kernel extension /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins
archive would be too large; aborting

when I try to run kextcache on my /E/E and S/L/E folders. any idea why? I ran /e/e through kext utility to fix permissions right before this

Farski,

If you can boot into Safe Mode, run this in the Terminal:

# sudo -s

# diskutil repairPermissions /

I don't know how accurate Kext Utility's repair permissions work.

I honestly did not use that app, i rather manually run the kextcache command in the Terminal myself.

Tommy

once in 10.6 safe mode, I'm getting this error, both in terminal and DU. also noticed in DU that the Snow and Cham volumes appear as folders, not drives. not sure it's related.

bash-3.2# diskutil repairPermissions /
Started verify/repair permissions on disk0s3 Reactor
No packages can be found for this disk
Error: -9900: No installer packages can be found for this disk
Underlying error: 20: POSIX reports: Not a directory

Glad to hear (no pun) your sound is working.

If you have a question about the extensions being loaded go to "About this computer" "More Info" "Extensions" and there it lists Name,Version, Last Modified, Kind (Intel or Universal), and whether its 64 bit or not. So do some experimenting with that and you'll be able to answer all your own questions instead of relying on our best guesses about your system.

After looking through your posts it looks like several of your problems with loading new kexts has been caused by not repairing permissions when you add them. Typical of the "didn't work at first and then presto, suddenly works theme"That must be done "EVERY" time you make changes to the "Extensions folder whether it's /E/E or /S/L/E. Kext utility is very handy for this. Just drop the Extensions folder on it's icon and Voila' , permissions repaired.Also try not to make more than one change at a time, reboot and see what's changed. Are you reading the logs in the console utility? Lots of good info there.

Best of luck!

Thanks tbar,

Yes, I noticed some of my errors were caused by permissions problems.

I didn't want to try mixing the JMicron kexts again, but I did, and now I get this error:

hfs: early journal init: volume on disk0s2 is read-only and journal is dirty. Can not mount volume.

jnl: disk0s2: replay_journal: from: 7988736 to 8071168 (joffset 0x9000)

jnl: disk0s2: journal replay done.

jnl: disk1s2: replay_journal: from: 12713984 to 12997632 (joffset 0x5b6000)

jnl: disk1s2: journal replay done.

Don't remember well what I did (was doing it last night), but I remember tried booting x64 to run kextutil (before it crashes), but it crashed while it was running...

Can run kextcache from single user mode, but can't run diskutil repairPermissions, says:

Unable to run because unable to use DiskManagement framework.

Common reasons include, but are not limited to,the DiskArbitration

framework being unavailable due to being booted in single-user mode.

I run -x -v (64 bits mode), run Disk Utility, run Repair Permissions on SL partition and it says: No packages can be found for the disk.

Any idea of what should I do?

Leopard

Thanks,

Rodrigo

once in 10.6 safe mode, I'm getting this error, both in terminal and DU. also noticed in DU that the Snow and Cham volumes appear as folders, not drives. not sure it's related.

Started verify/repair permissions on disk0s3 Reactor
No packages can be found for this disk
Error: -9900: No installer packages can be found for this disk
Underlying error: 20: POSIX reports: Not a directory

Farski, try leaving only those 4 kexts in my sig in /E/E and run the usual kextcache.

I had similar problem before with all those AHCI injectors, i didn't try to find out which one as it doesn't really matter for me.

Tommy

Thanks tbar,

Yes, I noticed some of my errors were caused by permissions problems.

I didn't want to try mixing the JMicron kexts again, but I did, and now I get this error:

hfs: early journal init: volume on disk0s2 is read-only and journal is dirty. Can not mount volume.

jnl: disk0s2: replay_journal: from: 7988736 to 8071168 (joffset 0x9000)

jnl: disk0s2: journal replay done.

jnl: disk1s2: replay_journal: from: 12713984 to 12997632 (joffset 0x5b6000)

jnl: disk1s2: journal replay done.

Don't remember well what I did (was doing it last night), but I remember tried booting x64 to run kextutil (before it crashes), but it crashed while it was running...

Can run kextcache from single user mode, but can't run diskutil repairPermissions, says:

Unable to run because unable to use DiskManagement framework.

Common reasons include, but are not limited to,the DiskArbitration

framework being unavailable due to being booted in single-user mode.

I run -x -v (64 bits mode), run Disk Utility, run Repair Permissions on SL partition and it says: No packages can be found for the disk.

Any idea of what should I do?

Leopard

Thanks,

Rodrigo

Rodrigo,

Read my post #79 for your second problem.

The first one is basically telling you that your file system is dirty due to inappropriate shutdown.

You can boot into single user mode and run:

# fsck -fy

Tommy

As I am approaching an acceptable working install of SnowLeopard, I decided to start from zero and see if it works.

I formatted, partitioned, reinstalled and everything works as it should.

I'll write this little guide for me and also to share it:

Current system:

P5W DH Deluxe BIOS 2801, Q6600, 8GB RAM, Ati HD 4870 1GB, Dual DVI.

Separate HDs for Leopard and SnowLeopard.

ATTACHED:

com.apple.boot.plist (just because)

dsdt.aml (better follow the guide... but just in case... remember this is only for BIOS 2801)

smbios.plist (just because)

NOTE: IF YOU WANT TO PUT CHAMELEON IN A HIDDEN EFI PARTITION FOLLOW THE [HEFI:RED] TAGS. IT IS BETTER TO START WITH A NORMAL PARTITION FOR CHAMELEON, EASIER WHILE TRYING KEXTS AND STUFF.

1. Using Leopard. Partition the drive (GUID partition table) in 2. First partition for Chameleon bootloader and second for SnowLeopard. You can make the first one as small as possible since it will only uses a pair of hundreds of MBs.

[HEFI: you need only one partition here, make more if you like. Be sure to set it in GUID partition table.]

Open OSInstall.mpkg from SnowLeopard DVD. I deselected printer drivers and selected only Spanish and Portuguese, but I don't think this makes any difference.

Install on SECOND partition. [HEFI: Install on first partition]

Delete /SNOWLEOPARD/System/Library/Extensions/JMicronATA.kext

(This is because there is a new JMicronATA kext, which is for better support of JMicron controller, I have it enabled in BIOS and use it, but I don't think it is essential).

Install Chameleon-2.0-r431, disabling the included kexts [HEFI: enable "Chameleon EFI HFS"

Terminal:

[HEFI: Check EFI partition's "link" with:

diskutil list

(i.e. /dev/disk1s1) Then mount it:

sudo -s

mkdir /Volumes/Chameleon

mount_hfs /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/Chameleon/

killall Finder

]

Replace boot file with EFI 10.1 boot file.

Files I copied to /Chameleon/Extra/

com.apple.boot.plist (only adding -x32 boot-uuid=MY UUID HERE, don't know if this is necessary)

dsdt.aml (following Tommy's post #18 simple instructions)

smbios.plist (only adding UUID)

Copied to /Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/

AHCIPortInjector.kext (from Stell's Blog)

AppleRTC.kext (from Teknojunkie's DMG)

EVOenabler.kext (for enabling ATI HD 4870, from this topic, post 18)

fakesmc.kext (Stell's Blog)

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext (Stell's Blog, for fixing wrong icons problem)

IOAudioFamily.kext (COPIED FROM /S/L/E/, so VoodooHDA works)

JMicronATA.kext (Stell's Blog)

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (Stell's Blog)

OpenHaltRestart.kext (Stell's Blog)

OSvKernDSPLib.kext (COPIED FROM /S/L/E/, so VoodooHDA works)

PlatformUUID.kext (Stell's Blog, change UUID in /Contents/Info.plist)

Sleepenabler.kext (Stell's Blog)

VoodooHDA.kext (Audio Kext, Stell's Blog)

Stell's Blog

TeknoJunkie

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/*

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/*

Not sure if necessary/useful, but I did:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/*

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/*

[HEFI: Unmount Chamaleon EFI partition:

umount /Volumes/Chameleon/

rm -r /Volumes/Chameleon

]

Restarted the system.

Booted -s -x32

Run both commands that appear on screen (fsck and mount), then:

mkdir /Volumes/Chameleon

mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/Chameleon/ (I booted with only Leo's drive connected so it can only be disk0s1)

kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/ /Volumes/SNOWLEOPARD/System/Library/Extensions/

kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/SNOWLEOPARD/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/SNOWLEOPARD/System/Library/Extensions/

Make sure the kextcaches end with the message saying that it created Extensions.mkext in the correct place.

umount -f /Volumes/Chameleon

rm -r /Volumes/Chameleon

REALITY: I was having an error when trying to mount the Chameleon partition in single user mode, so I restarted with -v -x32, it booted graphic, then crashed, and then I was able to run mount_hfs under single user mode.

Restart with -x32 and everything might be fine. :unsure:

I added the -x32 boot flag in com.apple.Boot.plist

At least until now, you need to use -x32 ALWAYS.

What still needs fixes:

Video tests with GLView are slower than how they should be.

USB: First 2 USBs not working.

............RTL8187L? Didn't investigate yet.

No sleep yet and I think there is something weird with shutdown.

Hope it works for more people :D

Luck,

Rodrigo

Special thanks to:

Tommy, tbar, The Raton, farski, Tommy again, etc.

And to every developer of every file linked in this thread :D

rodrigoesputo.zip

Rodrigo,

Does sleep work for you? I put Sleepenabler.kext in /E/E but it doesn't do anything, can't wake up neither with keyboard nor power button.

Put Sleepenabler.kext in /S/L/E result in KP.

My first 2 USBs are not working as well, I will try remove AppleHPET.kext from /S/L/E tonight to see if it help.

Will let yall know the result.

Looks like you can now call this a success installation and update the thread subject, don't you think Rodrigo?

Tommy

Rodrigo,

Does sleep work for you? I put Sleepenabler.kext in /E/E but it doesn't do anything, can't wake up neither with keyboard nor power button.

Put Sleepenabler.kext in /S/L/E result in KP.

My first 2 USBs are not working as well, I will try remove AppleHPET.kext from /S/L/E tonight to see if it help.

Will let yall know the result.

Looks like you can now call this a success installation and update the thread subject, don't you think Rodrigo?

Tommy

I can't. Somehow I got used to the lack of sleep during my first days with 10.5 (I was a real real newbie), and I directly forgot about it, LOL.

And yes, we could call it a success, actually I was about to change the topic's title.

Anyway, I would like to keep going with the things that don't work yet.

(I renamed it now)

THANKS TO EVERYONE!!!

Rodrigo.

Hi all !!!

I have followed this guide (as well others guide available at Root, hackintosh and insanelymac) to install 10a432 in my P5WDH Deluxe but no matther which method, I always end up with a black screen after installing and booting with -x32 -s parameters.

Does anyone knows how to troubleshoot the booting proccess?. I have installed all kexts in E/E, fix permissions, etc, etc,etc......but after booting (-x32 -s) I only see for a couple of seconds snow loading many mext from /S/L/E and then.......a black screen!!!. As the messages scroll very fast, I cannot see any error or anything.

I have a 7200GS NVIDIA card, and the corresponding nvinject.mext in E/E.....

Any clue?

Help will be highle appreciated

Thanks

Hi all !!!

I have followed this guide (as well others guide available at Root, hackintosh and insanelymac) to install 10a432 in my P5WDH Deluxe but no matther which method, I always end up with a black screen after installing and booting with -x32 -s parameters.

Does anyone knows how to troubleshoot the booting proccess?. I have installed all kexts in E/E, fix permissions, etc, etc,etc......but after booting (-x32 -s) I only see for a couple of seconds snow loading many mext from /S/L/E and then.......a black screen!!!. As the messages scroll very fast, I cannot see any error or anything.

I have a 7200GS NVIDIA card, and the corresponding nvinject.mext in E/E.....

Any clue?

Help will be highle appreciated

Thanks

I recommend trying different boot flag combinations.

-v = verbose mode. Basically tells you wants happening during boot up.

-x = Safe mode. Basically boots your system with the bare minimum kexts.

-s = Single user mode. Command line only mode. Allows you to run commands as root to fix system.

-x32 = boots system in 32 bits mode.

In my experience, trying any boot flag without -x32 booted up but it crashed in a few seconds, there are some things to polish in 64 bit mode yet.

I'd always put -v, but I had some cases where -x would cause a KP and without -x everything was fine. Maybe it was just chance, dunno.

I think -s forces verbose, so when you put -s it's not necessary to add -v.

So, let's say, you should first try -s -x -x32, and then on.

Remember to ALWAYS run kextcache if you make modifications. I think your blank screen might be related to the video card... I was having a KP that was video-card-related and I got rid of it by deleting the ATI kexts. Maybe deleting the NVidia kexts (dunno how they are named) might help.

Luck,

Rodrigo

-x32 boots 32 bit extensions

arch=x86 boots kernel in 32 bits.

May help some, although it is a vanilla installation.

If i remember correctly, arch=x86 only work on real Mac.

netkas use -x32 instead.

correct me if i'm wrong.

Tommy

If i remember correctly, arch=x86 only work on real Mac.

netkas use -x32 instead.

correct me if i'm wrong.

Tommy

VMWare asked me to restart in 32bits kernel mode :s

I thought I was in 32bits. :)

!

Rodrigo

EDIT:

Terminal:

sysctl hw.machine

hw.machine: x86_64

:o

My com.apple.boot.plist says -x32 .. what does that mean?

..Rodrigo..

Do you know how can I debug/troubleshoot the boot process?

As I don't have video.....I can see what's happening!

I have tryied with differente NVInject (from netkas and your post).....but nothing!. I have tryied with the one that it's working on Ideneb 10.5.6 but nothing.

Is there any way to force Snow to generate a log file?

Tommy et al,

I've an interesting observation to share. For my installation of SL, I have 2 partitions in my hd, 1 partitioned as Chameleon for my Chameleon boot install with E/E. The other partition (I called Snow) is for my SL vanilla install. I managed to install successfully.

Now here is what I observed. When I downloaded a kext, it will go into my account (called it <user>) Download folder. The ownership of the downloaded file is <user>:staff. If I copied the file to Chameleon E/E, the ownership as seen by <user> is <user>:staff. Now here is where it got interesting. If I sudo -s to go into root, I did a "ls -la" to check the ownership of the file in Chameleon E/E, it said "unknown:unknown". Using root to change the ownership would be unsuccessful. I remember that this would also prevent me from creating mkext successfully or with errors. Sorry, couldn't verify which one cause I am not at my SL computer now. But either way, I would have issue with mkext creation. Even if you copy the file to Chameleon E/E in root will also cause the file to have wrong ownership.

I searched the net and read that this is a bug. I am not sure if anyone of you experienced the same.

But there's a way to overcome this.

- sudo -s

- Delete the offending file in Chameleon E/E if you have copied it there.

- Unmount the Chameleon partition using Disk Utility (somehow, it won't work with umount in root, don't know why).

- mkdir /Volumes/Chameleon

- mount the Chameleon partition (mount -t hfs /dev/disk2s2 /Volumes/Chameleon) (disk2s2 is where my Chameleon partition is. You can check yours using the Disk Utility info button)

- Now copy the kext file to Chameleon E/E

- verify that the ownership of file is root:wheel

After this, mkext can be created without issue.

Open OSInstall.mpkg from SnowLeopard DVD. I deselected printer drivers and selected only Spanish and Portuguese, but I don't think this makes any difference.

How exactly do you only run OSInstall.mpkg? Are you using Pacifist? When I try to mount and run the Snow Leopard installation (using Mac OS X Install DVD.dmg) I get the error:

To install Mac OS X, use Disk Utility to burn this disk image to a DVD and run this application again.

I'm doing this from Leopard 10.5.8.

How exactly do you only run OSInstall.mpkg? Are you using Pacifist? When I try to mount and run the Snow Leopard installation (using Mac OS X Install DVD.dmg) I get the error:

To install Mac OS X, use Disk Utility to burn this disk image to a DVD and run this application again.

I'm doing this from Leopard 10.5.8.

Weird... This never happened to me. I opened it from the DMG sometimes, and other times from the DVD I burnt.

-------

The first 2 USBs from the MoBo are not working, the other 2 are OK, and the 4 extra (on the case) are working as 1.1. Any solution for that?

What is exactly -x32? I understood that it was to run the system in 32 bits mode, but I see it is not. Would it be good to find a fix for that? (I understand it is related to the kexts).

Does anyone have Sleep working??

And shutdown? My computer gets stuck in something related to USB (domn't remember well now).

Thanks,

Rodrigo

As I am approaching an acceptable working install of SnowLeopard, I decided to start from zero and see if it works.

I formatted, partitioned, reinstalled and everything works as it should.

I'll write this little guide for me and also to share it:

Current system:

P5W DH Deluxe BIOS 2801, Q6600, 8GB RAM, Ati HD 4870 1GB, Dual DVI.

Separate HDs for Leopard and SnowLeopard.

ATTACHED:

com.apple.boot.plist (just because)

dsdt.aml (better follow the guide... but just in case... remember this is only for BIOS 2801)

smbios.plist (just because)

NOTE: IF YOU WANT TO PUT CHAMELEON IN A HIDDEN EFI PARTITION FOLLOW THE [HEFI:RED] TAGS. IT IS BETTER TO START WITH A NORMAL PARTITION FOR CHAMELEON, EASIER WHILE TRYING KEXTS AND STUFF.

1. Using Leopard. Partition the drive (GUID partition table) in 2. First partition for Chameleon bootloader and second for SnowLeopard. You can make the first one as small as possible since it will only uses a pair of hundreds of MBs.

[HEFI: you need only one partition here, make more if you like. Be sure to set it in GUID partition table.]

Delete /SNOWLEOPARD/System/Library/Extensions/JMicronATA.kext

(This is because there is a new JMicronATA kext, which is for better support of JMicron controller, I have it enabled in BIOS and use it, but I don't think it is essential).

Install Chameleon-2.0-r431, disabling the included kexts [HEFI: enable "Chameleon EFI HFS"

Terminal:

[HEFI: Check EFI partition's "link" with:

diskutil list

(i.e. /dev/disk1s1) Then mount it:

sudo -s

mkdir /Volumes/Chameleon

mount_hfs /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/Chameleon/

killall Finder

]

Replace boot file with EFI 10.1 boot file.

Files I copied to /Chameleon/Extra/

com.apple.boot.plist (only adding -x32 boot-uuid=MY UUID HERE, don't know if this is necessary)

dsdt.aml (following Tommy's post #18 simple instructions)

smbios.plist (only adding UUID)

Copied to /Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/

AHCIPortInjector.kext (from Stell's Blog)

AppleRTC.kext (from Teknojunkie's DMG)

EVOenabler.kext (for enabling ATI HD 4870, from this topic, post 18)

fakesmc.kext (Stell's Blog)

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext (Stell's Blog, for fixing wrong icons problem)

IOAudioFamily.kext (COPIED FROM /S/L/E/, so VoodooHDA works)

JMicronATA.kext (Stell's Blog)

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (Stell's Blog)

OpenHaltRestart.kext (Stell's Blog)

OSvKernDSPLib.kext (COPIED FROM /S/L/E/, so VoodooHDA works)

PlatformUUID.kext (Stell's Blog, change UUID in /Contents/Info.plist)

Sleepenabler.kext (Stell's Blog)

VoodooHDA.kext (Audio Kext, Stell's Blog)

Stell's Blog

TeknoJunkie

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/*

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/*

Not sure if necessary/useful, but I did:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/*

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/*

[HEFI: Unmount Chamaleon EFI partition:

umount /Volumes/Chameleon/

rm -r /Volumes/Chameleon

]

Restarted the system.

Booted -s -x32

Run both commands that appear on screen (fsck and mount), then:

mkdir /Volumes/Chameleon

mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/Chameleon/ (I booted with only Leo's drive connected so it can only be disk0s1)

kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extensions/ /Volumes/SNOWLEOPARD/System/Library/Extensions/

kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/SNOWLEOPARD/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/SNOWLEOPARD/System/Library/Extensions/

Make sure the kextcaches end with the message saying that it created Extensions.mkext in the correct place.

umount -f /Volumes/Chameleon

rm -r /Volumes/Chameleon

REALITY: I was having an error when trying to mount the Chameleon partition in single user mode, so I restarted with -v -x32, it booted graphic, then crashed, and then I was able to run mount_hfs under single user mode.

Restart with -x32 and everything might be fine. ^_^

I added the -x32 boot flag in com.apple.Boot.plist

At least until now, you need to use -x32 ALWAYS.

What still needs fixes:

Video tests with GLView are slower than how they should be.

USB: First 2 USBs not working.

............RTL8187L? Didn't investigate yet.

No sleep yet and I think there is something weird with shutdown.

Hope it works for more people ;)

Luck,

Rodrigo

Special thanks to:

Tommy, tbar, The Raton, farski, Tommy again, etc.

And to every developer of every file linked in this thread :P

why doing this so complicated ... it workz "much easier" ...

1. make an USB Drive with Chameleon RC1 + boot 10.1 (or a separate boot partition)

2. use Kext: FakeSMC.kext, PlatformUUID.kext, VoodooHDA.kext, NullPowerManagement.kext, JMicronATA.kext (all x64 Kexts)

3. make a com.apple.boot.plist with gfx card efi string

4. make a smbios.plist with your settings inside

5. copy all to /Extra on the usb stick (or boot partition)

6. edit SMUUID in PlatformUUID.kext/Content/info.plist and UUID in smbios.plist, change last 12 digits with your MacAddress without ":"

7. before booting from stick set spotlight to private on all disks (!) = prevent Kernel Panic on first boot

8. boot from stick, choose SL Install DVD or Install Image on a partition and install Snow Leopard to the GUID harddrive

9. after install go in Leopard, install all mentioned /Extra kexts with UInstaller1.2 to Snow Drive

10. set with UInstaller1.2 your efi_string on Snow Drive com.apple.boot.plist

11. install chameleon rc1+boot 10.1 on Snow Drive and DELETE /Extra folder

12. rename/or delete Kexts on Snow Drive: AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext, AppleHDA.kext, AppleHPET.kext

13. boot from snow drive, make your user, use Kext Utility, restart, deset private for Spotlight in Snow Leoprad

14. done a native/retail install !

Greetings .... by the way ... 10.6.1 update workz over SystemUpdate without any trouble ...

The first 2 USBs from the MoBo are not working, the other 2 are OK, and the 4 extra (on the case) are working as 1.1. Any solution for that?

And shutdown? My computer gets stuck in something related to USB (domn't remember well now).

That's about where I am too, except I want SPDIF/Digital Optical to work and at present only direct output works. I don't really want to compromise.

Oddly I have no drives appearing on the desktop?

I upgraded to latest BIOS this morning, recreated the DSDT.aml and as I expected it made no difference.

I read somewhere about sticking EFI strings into plist but I've not had chance to look into that yet.

Let's keep on this chaps! :P

yes and yes:

for restart and shutdown try 'openhaltrestart.kext'.

for sleep try 'sleepenabler.kext' - but make sure, your bios-setting are correct if you're stuck with a missing vga-post after waking up.

both of those kexts can be loaded from /extra.

and regarding your usb-problems, try to put these statements into /Extra's-com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>EHCIacquire</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>UHCIreset</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>USBBusFix</key>
	<string>Yes</string>

Thanks,

Rodrigo

why doing this so complicated ... it workz "much easier" ...

1. make an USB Drive with Chameleon RC1 + boot 10.1 (or a separate boot partition)

2. use Kext: FakeSMC.kext, PlatformUUID.kext, VoodooHDA.kext, NullPowerManagement.kext, JMicronATA.kext (all x64 Kexts)

3. make a com.apple.boot.plist with gfx card efi string

4. make a smbios.plist with your settings inside

5. copy all to /Extra on the usb stick (or boot partition)

6. edit SMUUID in PlatformUUID.kext/Content/info.plist and UUID in smbios.plist, change last 12 digits with your MacAddress without ":"

7. before booting from stick set spotlight to private on all disks (!) = prevent Kernel Panic on first boot

8. boot from stick, choose SL Install DVD or Install Image on a partition and install Snow Leopard to the GUID harddrive

9. after install go in Leopard, install all mentioned /Extra kexts with UInstaller1.2 to Snow Drive

10. set with UInstaller1.2 your efi_string on Snow Drive com.apple.boot.plist

11. install chameleon rc1+boot 10.1 on Snow Drive and DELETE /Extra folder

12. rename/or delete Kexts on Snow Drive: AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext, AppleHDA.kext, AppleHPET.kext

13. boot from snow drive, make your user, use Kext Utility, restart, deset private for Spotlight in Snow Leoprad

14. done a native/retail install !

Greetings .... by the way ... 10.6.1 update workz over SystemUpdate without any trouble ...

I think it is far better to have the "added" kexts in /E/E rather than in /S/L/E. Easier to troubleshoot later.

Oddly I have no drives appearing on the desktop?

I understand Apple changed the Finder default settings. Go to (menu) Finder > Preferences and enable the hard drives there.

yes and yes:

for restart and shutdown try 'openhaltrestart.kext'.

for sleep try 'sleepenabler.kext' - but make sure, your bios-setting are correct if you're stuck with a missing vga-post after waking up.

both of those kexts can be loaded from /extra.

It simply doesn't go to sleep, screen turns off and computer stays on (no fans off, etc).

I have both kexts from Stell's blog.

and regarding your usb-problems, try to put these statements into /Extra's-com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>EHCIacquire</key>
	   <string>Yes</string>
	   <key>UHCIreset</key>
	   <string>Yes</string>
	   <key>USBBusFix</key>
	   <string>Yes</string>

I'll try that now.

UPDATE: I think it makes the (working) ports to appear as 2.0, but doesn't recongnise the first 2 ports yet.

UPDATE 2: No, it doesn't. I tested it and is still slow. I somehow thought that if they didn't appear as "1.1" they were 2.0. Dunno why I thought that.

What is the -x32 boot flag for? (just general question)

How can I make sure the com.appe.Boot.plist from /E/E is loading correctly? Does it just load or can there be anything that avoids it?

(This is my com.apple.Boot.plist,

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>Kernel</key>
 <string>mach_kernel</string>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>arch=i386 -x32</string>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string></string>
 <key>EHCIacquire</key>
	 <string>Yes</string>
	 <key>UHCIreset</key>
	 <string>Yes</string>
	 <key>USBBusFix</key>
	 <string>Yes</string>
 </dict>
</plist>

I just changed, added arch=i386 -x32 but running sysctl hw.machine in terminal shows me x86_64.

If I write those flags in the bootloader it loads in i386. What's wrong?

-- I noticed I can't repair permissions:

Started verify/repair permissions on disk0s2 KeeWee
 Finished verify/repair permissions on disk0s2 KeeWee

(It takes less than a second to show that).

Same with Disk Utility.

Any idea?

Thanks!

Rodrigo.

There is a special version of Kext Utility that repairs permissions in the way that Snow Leopard requires it. I'd link, but i forgot where i found it - google it. The Keys/strings for Extra's Com.Apple.....to make USB 2.0 function the way they ought don't work for me. I still show only a 12mb/sec on my ports - but all my ports work just fine. I'm only using the kexts listed here in the walkthrough.

I will post my bios config as requested macaddict, but might be useful for others too.

I am not an expert and don't know what are all the BIOS settings about, I just know I had to change some about USB and other little stuff, but if anyone sees some change in BIOS that might improve something, please let me know.

My BIOS version is 2801.

CPUconfig, Chipset, Onboard and PCIPNP are in Advanced menu.

Rodrigo.

post-171324-1252352262_thumb.jpg

post-171324-1252352272_thumb.jpg

post-171324-1252352281_thumb.jpg

post-171324-1252352287_thumb.jpg

post-171324-1252352297_thumb.jpg

post-171324-1252352310_thumb.jpg

post-171324-1252352316_thumb.jpg

post-171324-1252352323_thumb.jpg

e.g.: try 's3 only' instead of 'auto' in the pm-settings.... there might be more things the check into, though...

I will post my bios config as requested macaddict, but might be useful for others too.

I am not an expert and don't know what are all the BIOS settings about, I just know I had to change some about USB and other little stuff, but if anyone sees some change in BIOS that might improve something, please let me know.

My BIOS version is 2801.

CPUconfig, Chipset, Onboard and PCIPNP are in Advanced menu.

Rodrigo.