[Guide] Using DSDT with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

576 posts in this topic

To have fully functioning speedstepping, you need to get rid of NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.

When I remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, then SpeedStep not working. CPU-I show me still 2800MHz. Anything is wrong, but I don't know what. Nevermind, resume from sleep working - I'm happy :-D

Hi, Blackosx.

Can you post your smbios.plist?

Hi Jamonda

My SMBIOS is as page 13 of my 10.6 install guide PDF apart from I now use MacPro3,1 for my SMproductname (as I mentioned in my previous Speedstep post), and now with Chameleon v2 RC4 I have removed the SMUUID key/string.

I'm not sure about with your setup, but I do not need SleepEnabler.kext.

You only need to use SleepEnabler if you are using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.

When I remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, then SpeedStep not working. CPU-I show me still 2800MHz. Anything is wrong, but I don't know what. Nevermind, resume from sleep working - I'm happy :-D

Have a read of my post here for an introduction to FormerlyKnownAs' great vanilla speedstep thread.

Hi Jamonda

My SMBIOS is as page 13 of my 10.6 install guide PDF apart from I now use MacPro3,1 for my SMproductname (as I mentioned in my previous Speedstep post), and now with Chameleon v2 RC4 I have removed the SMUUID key/string.

Oh, yes, thank you. Changing to macpro3,1 will be enough for the system to behave accordingly?

Do you know why the fix mentioned in post #423 solves my problem with Chameleon RC4?

Oh, yes, thank you. Changing to macpro3,1 will be enough for the system to behave accordingly?

Do you know why the fix mentioned in post #423 solves my problem with Chameleon RC4?

As far as I know, the DSDT fix that you have mentioned...

Name (_UID, One) (using either a Zero or One for the PCI location)

...does exactly the same thing as the Chameleon option PCiRoot/1 or 0. Does the PCiRoot option not work for you?

Exactly that BlackOSX said. PCIRoot key must work with you.

See a little more on pt-br:

Hmbt

Regards.

Blackosx, Thiagomorales

To be honest, I don't know what PCIRoot means (I didn't). Changing this key would be my next try, after learning a bit about it. The problem, as always, is that learning about OSX involves not only reading, but mainly discovering where to find and what to read :)

Thank you, fellows.

P.S. I still don't know why my PCIRoot had to be changed when I upgraded from RC3 boot file do RC4 boot file (changed _UID from one to zero).

To be honest, I don't know what PCIRoot means (I didn't). Changing this key would be my next try, after learning a bit about it. The problem, as always, is that learning about OSX involves not only reading, but mainly discovering where to find and what to read ;)

Yes, you're absolutely right. It is difficult to know about every resource, application and trick, and as you say where to find them. But then again, if you did find such a resource it would be easy to be overwhelmed with all the info.. So what generally happens is we ask our friend Google when we need to.

But for more info....

The P5K Pro thread has recently touched on PCIroot here.

You can use lpsci to find your device ID's. I linked to a download of it here.

You can find gfxutil here. gfxutil.zip

P.S. I still don't know why my PCIRoot had to be changed when I upgraded from RC3 boot file do RC4 boot file (changed _UID from one to zero).

Did you use the 'GraphicsEnabler' device injection boot option in your com.apple.Boot.plist for your video when you used Chameleon RC3?

Yes, you're absolutely right. It is difficult to know about every resource, application and trick, and as you say where to find them. But then again, if you did find such a resource it would be easy to be overwhelmed with all the info.. So what generally happens is we ask our friend Google when we need to.

But for more info....

The P5K Pro thread has recently touched on PCIroot here.

You can use lpsci to find your device ID's. I linked to a download of it here.

You can find gfxutil here. gfxutil.zip

Did you use the 'GraphicsEnabler' device injection boot option in your com.apple.Boot.plist for your video when you used Chameleon RC3?

Thank you for all this material. I'll be busy for a while, reading... :rolleyes:

Yes, I use GraphicsEnabler since I bought a 9500GT. At first I didn't know how to create a video EFI string for this board (I used EFI Studio with my 7300GS, with which I can't choose boards of the 9 series) to inject via boot.plist, nor how to patch DSDT. After I learnt a bit about DSDT editing - thanks to your threads - I found that it wouldn't be necessary to put video in DSDT if I could detect it with Chameleon. To upgrade to Cv2RC4 I simply copied the boot file to the Cham partition. With the new boot file, the system detected a generic Nvidia board, with all resolutions supported by 9500GT, but whithout QE/CI. Sleep didn't work either. After paching DSDT with the fix I mentioned in post #423, everything worked again: 9500GT with QE/CI and sleep. And now I have hibernation working like a charm, which I never had before.

Thank you for all this material. I'll be busy for a while, reading... ;)

You're welcome.

Yes, I use GraphicsEnabler since I bought a 9500GT. At first I didn't know how to create a video EFI string for this board (I used EFI Studio with my 7300GS, with which I can't choose boards of the 9 series) to inject via boot.plist, nor how to patch DSDT. After I learnt a bit about DSDT editing - thanks to your threads - I found that it wouldn't be necessary to put video in DSDT if I could detect it with Chameleon.

Quite right. It's so much easier to use the auto injection of video from the bootloader rather than use device (EFI) strings or embed in the DSDT, especially if you want to replace your video card as you won't have to re-do the work.

To upgrade to Cv2RC4 I simply copied the boot file to the Cham partition. With the new boot file, the system detected a generic Nvidia board, with all resolutions supported by 9500GT, but whithout QE/CI. Sleep didn't work either.

The auto device injection failed to find and identify your card, and sleep can be related to correctly functioning video.

After paching DSDT with the fix I mentioned in post #423, everything worked again: 9500GT with QE/CI and sleep. And now I have hibernation working like a charm, which I never had before.

Great, the main thing is you have it working, regardless of using the DSDT patch which you came across or using the PCiRoot boot option. And yes, hibernation now works properly with Chameleon v2 RC4. I was excited to try it just so I could see the preview screen that Chameleon draws as it loads the sleepimage.

Hi,

I am using this guide to make DSDT.aml for GA-EP43-DS3L.I have some troubles.

1 When I click on "Patch BIOS" a window pop-ups and just freezes.When I try to close it the ACPI patcher gives me some errors "Unable to open file" and others and cannot make DSDT.aml.

2. I have DSDT.aml witch I've done when I tried to install "SL Universal 3.6" I did patch it with all the option from ACPI patcher not from BIOS patcher window, but from the next "DSDT patcher" It says everything is ok and the audio is working!!!

Now the big question is:

When I edit the DSDT.dst file to make the CMOS reset fix it shows me

Device (RTC)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))

Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()

{

IO (Decode16,

0x0070, // Range Minimum

0x0070, // Range Maximum

0x00, // Alignment

0x02, // Length

)

})

}

instead of

Device (RTC)

{

Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()

{

IO (Decode16,

0x0070, // Range Minimum

0x0070, // Range Maximum

0x00, // Alignment

0x02, // Length

)

})

"

and if I change ATT0 to _CRS "iaslME" doesn't make any DSDT.aml file

When i boot the SL and restart the OS it resets the BIOS again. After checking the file DSDT.aml the number

0x02, // Length

is

0x04, // Length

Again....

Can someone help me please

my system is

INTEL Core2Duo E8200

GA-EP43-DS3L

Nvidia 7300 LE

HDD and DVD - SATA

Thank you very much

Another question :(

I am going to try a retail 10.6 install

CAN I install it on MBR pratition?

CAN I install PS/2 kexts after OS install?

THANK YOU SO MUCH

I am using this guide to make DSDT.aml for GA-EP43-DS3L.I have some troubles.

1 When I click on "Patch BIOS" a window pop-ups and just freezes.When I try to close it the ACPI patcher gives me some errors "Unable to open file" and others and cannot make DSDT.aml.

Without actually seeing what it's doing, all I can say is you must be doing something wrong. The steps for creating the DSDT are as I have shown in my guide, it is as easy as that. Have a read of koalala's thread to double check the apps' requirements, like the .NET Framework maybe or maybe not.

2. I have DSDT.aml witch I've done when I tried to install "SL Universal 3.6" I did patch it with all the option from ACPI patcher not from BIOS patcher window, but from the next "DSDT patcher" It says everything is ok and the audio is working!!!

What's SL Universal 3.6?

But my guide shows you how to use the BIOS patch window with your original BIOS file from Gigabyte.

Now the big question is:

When I edit the DSDT.dst file to make the CMOS reset fix it shows me

Device (RTC)

{

Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()

{

IO (Decode16,

...../SNIP/.....

and if I change ATT0 to _CRS "iaslME" doesn't make any DSDT.aml file

When i boot the SL and restart the OS it resets the BIOS again. After checking the file DSDT.aml the number

0x02, // Length

is

0x04, // Length

Again....

Can someone help me please

My original DSDT also read ATT0. I know the PDF guide shows _CRS but that's just to illustrate the Device (RTC) section. All you need to change is the 0x04 to 0x02. as shown in the guide. Don't try and change ATT0 to _CRS.

Another question :D

I am going to try a retail 10.6 install

CAN I install it on MBR pratition?

CAN I install PS/2 kexts after OS install?

Great. I recommend a retail install as it is easy. There are a few guides for your motherboard on this forum.

I think you will need to install on to a HDD using a GUID partition table as that's what Snow Leopard needs.

My 10.6 guide for the EP45-DS3L is based on a USB keyboard & mouse only. If you need PS/2 Kexts then yes you can search for them.

Thank you.

I have 2 HDD and my mistake is that the one is MBR, because I thought I will need it for Windows....

at the moment I am with iDeneb 105.8 at GUID HDD

Yes I have downloaded "F5" BIOS file from Gigabyte It is .exe file (My BIOS as shown in information in the BIOS) I've done everything like you show in your guide and when click on "Patch BIOS" it freezes. I will try again and again...

WILL the retail 10.6 also reset the BIOS if I cannot make this DSDT.aml file?

SL Universal 3.6 is DVD like iDeneb 10.5.6 .It boots and installs and I can run the 10.6.2 system with everything exept this CMOS reset fix and every time I start the OS I have boot with "-f" to recognize the PS/2 drivers.

P.S. I use PARALLELS DESKTOP 5 for windows. ACPI patcher cannot start on Windows XP (ACPI Patcher has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.)

I can run it on another virtual Windows 7 64 bit. As I think at the moment may be this is the problem with freezing...may be

I really want to install a retail SL but first I have to build this f.....g :help: DSDT.aml

Another question:

Do I have to load defaults for BIOS, because I did some things (overclock;wake up from mouse;etc.)

Thank you.

I have 2 HDD and my mistake is that the one is MBR, because I thought I will need it for Windows....

at the moment I am with iDeneb 105.8 at GUID HDD

Yes I have downloaded "F5" BIOS file from Gigabyte It is .exe file (My BIOS as shown in information in the BIOS) I've done everything like you show in your guide and when click on "Patch BIOS" it freezes. I will try again and again...

WILL the retail 10.6 also reset the BIOS if I cannot make this DSDT.aml file?

SL Universal 3.6 is DVD like iDeneb 10.5.6 .It boots and installs and I can run the 10.6.2 system with everything exept this CMOS reset fix and every time I start the OS I have boot with "-f" to recognize the PS/2 drivers.

P.S. I use PARALLELS DESKTOP 5 for windows. ACPI patcher cannot start on Windows XP (ACPI Patcher has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.)

I can run it on another virtual Windows 7 64 bit. As I think at the moment may be this is the problem with freezing...may be

I really want to install a retail SL but first I have to build this f.....g :) DSDT.aml

Another question:

Do I have to load defaults for BIOS, because I did some things (overclock;wake up from mouse;etc.)

You should be able to run ACPIpatcher in a vm. I run it on Vista inside VMWare Fusion.

Have you extracted the BIOS file from the .exe? (Double-click the .exe in Windows), then point ACPIpatcher to the extracted BIOS file.

Snow Leopard will reset your CMOS everytime you use it unless you patch your Device (RTC) in DSDT.

For an install guide, BIOS settings etc. have a look at my 10.6 thread, read the front page thoroughly and download the Install Guide PDF. I have written it for my mobo, the EP45-DS3L. Any differences with your board, you are going to have to sort yourself.

Hi, I have noticed that when i take out something from USB slot (like iPod, usb stics etc.) while my hack is sleeping, it wakes and then sleep the computer over and over again. I am using new dsdt from mm67 from dsdt fixes thread. I dont have it before with the oldest dsdt I think. Do you have some advice?

Can anyone confirm this DSDT works interchangeably with the GA-EP43-DS3L motherboard? I want to do a clean "vanilla" install (I can't seem to get iMovie, iDVD, or Final Cut Pro on my iAtkos 7: Leopard install).

I'm looking to do a vanilla Snow Leopard install, if that makes a difference. Thanks guys!

Hi, I have noticed that when i take out something from USB slot (like iPod, usb stics etc.) while my hack is sleeping, it wakes and then sleep the computer over and over again. I am using new dsdt from mm67 from dsdt fixes thread. I dont have it before with the oldest dsdt I think. Do you have some advice?

Are you saying that your hack goes into somekind of wake-sleep loop when removing a USB 2.0 device during sleep ? Both of my systems wake up if I remove a usb stick during sleep, then there is the warning about not properly removing usb devices. Warning goes off after a while and then everything is back to normal, next sleep happens normally after the set idle time, no loops. Could you post your dsdt, I'd like to see if you did something in a different way than I did.

My system also wakes from sleep if I remove my iPhone from it's charging dock. But that's fine. But I don't experience any kind of loop. Exactly which DSDT did you use from the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread? Can you try the DSDT I have posted here which has any specific CPU information removed and should work for you.

Can anyone confirm this DSDT works interchangeably with the GA-EP43-DS3L motherboard? I want to do a clean "vanilla" install (I can't seem to get iMovie, iDVD, or Final Cut Pro on my iAtkos 7: Leopard install).

I'm looking to do a vanilla Snow Leopard install, if that makes a difference. Thanks guys!

This DSDT is specific for the GA-EP45-DS3L, though your boards specs do look similar. You shouldn't just jump in and grab any DSDT so it's best to build your own, then modify it to match mm67's style. Start by using the guide at the start of this thread, or find somebody else who is using your exact motherboard (maybe have a look through the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread?)

Thank you blackosx!!!!

I have success!!!No more BIOS reset!!!At the moment I am searching for good working PS/2 drivers.I have to boot with "-f" everytime in order to have PS/2 mouse and keyboard working...I am using "AppleACPIPS2NUB" "ApllePS2Controler".I have some others but if someone knows good drivers....

Thank you once again!!!

Martist

"CiViCKiDD" I have this DSDT working now!!! I have GA-EP43-DS3L!!!

Yes. I have one. We use same DSDT.

Regards.

My system also wakes from sleep if I remove my iPhone from it's charging dock. But that's fine. But I don't experience any kind of loop. Exactly which DSDT did you use from the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread? Can you try the DSDT I have posted here which has any specific CPU information removed and should work for you.

I am using this one DSDT from you:-) with my CPU info for speedstep etc. I will try once more..

EDIT: Ok, I just tried untick the option Start up automatically after a power failure and that was it...probably. Everything seems to be ok now.