[Guide] Asus P6T SE Retail Vanilla w/ Chameleon -- 100% working

absolutenot

78 posts in this topic

Last updated 8/11/2009 9:05 CDT

My quest to get my P6T SE working has taken me down many roads. The most helpful of which were Digital Dreamer's guide to installing on the Gigabyte EX58-UD5 and M J's guide to installing Leopard Retail on a P6T Deluxe using Boot-132

The P6T SE board differs from the common P6T board a little bit -- primarily in the audio department -- the SE has an ALC1200 -- the P6T and the Deluxe have an AD1988 or so, I think.

While M J's guide was helpful, I wanted to get the machine running with the Vanilla Kernel, as one of the main things that I want to do is to run VMWare. Sooo....once I had a barely functional install using Boot 132, I started working on this...

This will require the following: A base install using one of the other distro methods to get running,

DSDT Patcher file (or, if you're running a i7 920, my dsdt.aml may work for you -- attached to post #10 in this thread),

Chameleon 2.0 RC2 or later,

ALC1200 Kexts for audio (available on this topic) availble in the extensions.zip file attached to post # 35 of this thread.

The Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard kexts from this topic (specifically, the Disabler.kext and dsmos.kext). (these kexts are now included in the extensions.zip file attached to post 35)

OSX86Tools if you need to create the EFI string for your video card

The install itself is suprisingly simple. Once I got my process streamlined, I was actually amazed at how simple it was...

1. Partition your disk as normal -- GPT table, yadda yadda...

2. Ensure the disk you had partitioned supports file ownership (if everything on the machine you're installing from is kosher, it most likely will). You can check this by going to disk utility, right clicking the volume you're installing to, and clicking Information. You're wanting the line that says "Owners Enabled". If it says yes, then you're in the clear.

If it does not -- then right click the drive from your desktop, and Get Info. At the bottom of the pane, there's a lock. Click it, enter your username/password, and uncheck the box next to "Ignore ownership on this volume". If you don't do this, the install will not boot from Chameleon after it's all said and done.

3. Install Retail DVD

4. Install 10.5.7 Combo Update

5. Install Chameleon 2 RC2 onto the target drive

6. Place your DSDT.aml file in the /Extra folder (follow the directions in Part E of M J's guide) - but place the final DSDT.aml file only in your /Extra folder on the target drive.

7. Place Disabler.kext and dsmos.kext into the /Extra/Extensions Folder

8. To get your audio working, Place the ALC1200 Kexts (AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext) in the /Extra/Extensions folder

7. Copy the extensions in the extensions.zip file attached to post 35 to the extra/extensions folder, and set permissions/ownership appropriately (755, and root:wheel)

8. Rebuild the /extra/extensions.mkext file

9. Edit the com.apple.boot.plist file to include your EFI string for your video card, if necessary. I used OSX86 tools to create mine for a Geforce 9600GT

Edit the com.apple.boot.plist file to use the Chameleon options that you need. My recommended flags in this file are listed in post 35 in this thread.

10. Boot up, and enjoy the beauty of a fully working, vanilla install.

(One note -- the first boot, I didn't get any sound. I just had to go in and set the output to my line out jack -- by default, it seems the headphone jack was the chosen output path)

That's all there is to it.

This is the process that worked for me -- I of course issue no warranties on whether or not it will work for you, but I'm quite happy with the results.

Just remember -- with the latter versions of Chameleon, there's no need to do ANYTHING in the /System/Library/Extensions folder. Everything you need to work with is in /Extra. Doing it this way ensures that system updates won't kill your hack.

Hope this helps!

EDIT ----

Done a couple more of these with gecko, and we're seeing a couple of new issues --

For some reason, the sound seems quite tempermental -- still investigating this (this has been resolved, see edit #2 note). Everything else seems pretty solid though.

Also -- if you're running an nvidia card, you can use the built-in video portion of chameleon. See the notes that come with the source code download of chameleon for more info.

EDIT #2

we've done some more research and identified a few more issues -- these can be fixed by modifying the applehda kext (included with the extensions.zip attachment on post 35 in this thread)

Thanks for posting the guide!

I would love the BIOS setting as well. I think you would do the community a great favor by adding anything you can possibly think of adding since the P6T is a VERY popular board for overclocking yet there is nowhere near enough about installing x86 on one on the forum. Yet. :)

And anything else you can do to make this guide more noob-ready would be appreciated as I am tying to build my first x86 on a P6T soon.

Thanks for the feedback -- this is my first guide, so, thanks for your patience.

BIOS settings are:

- Main
- Storage Configuration
+ Configure SATA as [AHCI]
- Advanced
- CPU coonfiguration
+ Intel ® HT Technology [Enabled]
+ Active Processor Cores [All]
+ A20M [Disabled]
+ everything else [Enabled]
- Onboard Devices Configuration
+ High Definition Audio [Enabled]
+ Front Panel Audio [HD Audio]
- Power
+ Suspend Mode [Auto]
+ Repost Video on S3 Resume [Yes]
+ ACPI 2.0 Support [Enabled]
+ ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]
- APM Configuration
+ Restore on AC Power Loss [Last State]
- Boot
- Boot Device Priority
+ 1st Boot Device [ATAPI CD-ROM]
+ 2nd Boot Device [Hard Drive]

Honestly, with this method, it's not all that picky. Main things to remember are SATA configured as AHCI, Execute disable Enabled.

It's a great board and it runs awesomely -- I've only dabbled with overclocking it so far. it's already faster than the single processor Nehalem Mac pro (2.83 ghz) (according to xbench)

hey i like to thank you for this guide. i will try to install os x on my soon coming hardware and hope to handel this with your guide.

hardware: p6t - se, i7 920, 6gb ram, 150GB velociraptor for os x and windows 7, 1tb as a 2nd hdd for photos, geforce gtx 260

what was your first installation to work with? iDeneb, Kalyway, or another one?

hey i like to thank you for this guide. i will try to install os x on my soon coming hardware and hope to handel this with your guide.

hardware: p6t - se, i7 920, 6gb ram, 150GB velociraptor for os x and windows 7, 1tb as a 2nd hdd for photos, geforce gtx 260

This install assumed you had a working mac and you use the retail 10.5.x DVD... then download the combo update to 10.5.7. No iDeneb/Kalyway or anything other used here. Only RETAIL + combo updates from apple.

Absolute is going to back me up on this... but for his install you must start with the 10.5.4 Retail DVD and then go to 10.5.7 using the combo update. If you start with 10.5.1 and then combo update... your sound WILL NOT WORK!!! I do not know why, but I verified it over 5 different installs using the same Extras folder each and every time. I wish someone could explain why... but for now, I'm just gonna call it FM ({censored}in magic).

This will require the following: A base install using one of the other distro methods to get running, DSDT Patcher file, Chameleon 2.0 RC2 or later, ALC1200 Kexts for audio (available on this topic) and The Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard kexts from this topic (specifically, the Disabler.kext and dsmos.kext). OSX86Tools if you need to create the EFI string for your video card

but you are talking about a working base install of leopard or tiger to follow your guide?

do you mean that i should use my macbook with a normal 10.5.7 install and install my disk via usb or firewire and run the guide from the macbook?

but you are talking about a working base install of leopard or tiger to follow your guide?

do you mean that i should use my macbook with a normal 10.5.7 install and install my disk via usb or firewire and run the guide from the macbook?

Either one should work.

In response to what gecko said earlier -- We've had... shall we say... mixed results with sound so far. For some reason, which we're investigating -- when we try to rebuild the extensions.mkext, we lose sound, even if we don't change anything about the kexts. While trying to address an issue I was having with shutdown with psystar's OpenHaltRestart kext, I've managed to lose sound on my utility install. Will keep the thread updated when we get this figured out.

Hey Absolutelynot,

Do you mind upload the DSDT.aml and all the required kexts in Extra folder? I'm planning to preinstall a hdd for my uncle machine and I'd rather not go through the trouble of telling him to run the scripts. Thanks.

Best.

See attached

Remember to rebuild your extensions.mkext file -- I'm not sure about the audio -- it may or may not work -- still trying to figure out what's going on with the audio.

my first install to work with was the boot-132 install (MJ's guide, linked in the original post) Once I got that up, I used it to install to another hard drive for this version.

That can work -- be sure that file ownership is turned on for your destination drive after you partition it, but I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work. I've attached the DSDT.aml to another post in this forum, you should be able to copy it to the extra folder on your target drive.

Also -- be careful when installing chameleon to pick the right destination drive -- the current version of chameleon will cheese a mac boot drive if you install to it.

DSDT.aml.zip

Extensions.zip

thank you

the problem: right now i cannot connect the hdd to my macbook because my external device doesn't provide the hdd with enough power.

i tried to install a lot of distributions on my second hdd. kaly forces my pc to reboot and didn't start the instalation process, ideneb can be installed but everytime i try to start the installed os x reboot again (i've tried many boot-options -v, -x, -s, -f, -x -s, ...)

kaly is telling my sometimes, that my hdd is read only and then it freezes/stops. hm any idear how i can install a distru? i will try iAktos v7 and iDeneb v1.3 next.

gecko figured out the sound issue... We'll be posting a fix for that tonight.

(It dosen't make much sense, but we've been able to repeat it across multiple installs -- if I had to guess, there's something wierd about chameleon and AppleHDA)

I'm planning on rewriting the guide to take into account the changes, and will include files this time -- some of the original guide was based on Chameleon 2 RC1, and RC2 changed a few things.

that would be great :P but could you please give me a hint what distribution i should use to install a first leopard on my second hdd? as i mentioned: kaly, ideneb v1.3 and v1.4 does not work (1.4 start the installation maybe i must use the right kext but dunno which i should choose that ideneb starts with my hardware - as i mentioned before: restart every time that i use ideneb)

See attached

Remember to rebuild your extensions.mkext file --

Sorry, but how do I rebuild the extensions.mkext file? I assume it is the extensions.mkext in the Cham 2 folder, not the system version.

If it was the OS folder I would just:

rm -Rv /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

right?

i tried to start with the guide.

but i fail at step 3. how should i install the retail os x through kaly? when i insert my original os x dvd the normal

installation routine starts with the restart but this doesn't works. so how can i install os x via a running system on another hdd?

ok update - i've found this for terminal:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

open osinstall.mpkg

Just remember -- with the latter versions of Chameleon, there's no need to do ANYTHING in the /System/Library/Extensions folder. Everything you need to work with is in /Extra. Doing it this way ensures that system updates won't kill your hack.

Hope this helps!

EDIT ----

Done a couple more of these with gecko, and we're seeing a couple of new issues --

For some reason, the sound seems quite tempermental -- still investigating this. Everything else seems pretty solid though.

Also -- if you're running an nvidia card, you can use the built-in video portion of chameleon. See the notes that come with the source code download of chameleon for more info.

should i put my disabler.kext, dsmos.kext etc. now into the /Extra folder and not into /Extra/Extensions/ ?

i've tryed the /Extra/Extensions/ folder, but then os x wont boot up.

when i put the kexts into the /extras folder, do i need to do anything else (e.g. repair permissions?)? i've put the extensions into the /Extras folder, reboot and startet vanilla

in verbose mode last message:

localhost mDNSResponder[34]: Couldn't read user-specified local hostname, using default bMacPro-0023....localb instead

in -x -v last message:

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete

btw. vanilla is loading a lot of extensions in System/Library/Extensions/ - but i haven't seen information about loaded /Extras folder

i think that the .kext that i've added because of your guide were not initialised

__

next update:

put the .kext into the /extras/extensions folder again now they are loaded when i use verbose mode at startup

but still this {censored} mDNSResponder that the local hostname coun't be read...

i'm {censored}ed up.

any idear?

i tried to start with the guide.

but i fail at step 3. how should i install the retail os x through kaly? when i insert my original os x dvd the normal

installation routine starts with the restart but this doesn't works. so how can i install os x via a running system on another hdd?

ok update - i've found this for terminal:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

open osinstall.mpkg

Did that work for you? Those are the terminal lines that I found also, but when I type them in my "install" takes about 5 seconds to finish and only puts 9 files on the HDD I point it at. I am using a freshly formatted GPT HDD and a retail 10.5.6 DVD.

Hi multisaft

This guide(topic) is not very good.

I did a search outside of instanelymac and found a excellent blog, I will pm you the link as it if forbidden here.

You have to get yourself the ideneb v1.3 10.5.5 iso and I can tell you it works perfect for our board (Asus P6T). Set your sata to achi, turn off hyperthreading and set cpu cores to 1. After you can enable them afterwards.

Good luck

oq

@orionquest thank you, but this is not what i wanted to get. i like to run the original vanilla kernel and not the voodoo one. also i've managed to run kaly, so no need for this. but thank you again, i will use the dsdt patcher step again - maybe i've missed something.

@maleorderbride - yes this worked for me. it should open the installer where you can choose the partition on which you like to install your vanilla-os x

a photo from verbose startup:

post-465461-1249728742_thumb.jpg

i've done the fcking hole thing again and again

mdns responder...

dunno would someone plz help me?

when i boot into safe-mode

and run fsck it tells me at the end

***** File System Was Modified *****

and now?

done the whole thing again. most of the time my coreRaidServer crashes. network card: realtek 8111c

updated the realtek kext from the official realtek-side and used the IONetworkingFamily.kext from the X58_Mobo_Patch-pakage

and the hardware-adress for the nic that is displayed on startup doesn't match with the hardware-adress that is displayed inside kaly 10.5.2. a hint for problems mit nic-kext? inside kaly 10.5.2 my nic is working.

btw. i have disabled my firewire port because there was an error, too.

post-465461-1249766081_thumb.jpg

____

UPDATE 2

my efi-strings in boot.plist messed it up. not the raidserver stop the startup but:

/usr/sbin/ocspd[xx]: starting

means nothing else, that the graphics-driver should be initialised. but when your system crashs at this time your efi-string and your /S/L/E/NVDAResman.kext have some trouble with each other.

Workaround:

1. delete your efi-string out of /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist and reboot

2. install the gt200 drivers (see gt200 thread) and reboot (you will get a dark or blue screen at first startup), use your second installation or vesa-startup -x, -s

3. add your efi-string again to /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist and reboot

4. cross your fingers that you wont get the ocspd message again (see verbose mode)

but right now: now sound!

i've made it :)

asus p6t-se (sound, lan, currently no firewire), core i7 920 (all cores + ht), gtx 260 (efi-string), 6gb ddr3 osz, velociraptor 150, 1tb samsung f1...

considerably more favourable as a mac pro

has taken me three days.

my hint for everyone with this mobo and gt200-series graphic: don't add your efi-string to your boot.plist until you managed to boot into your vanilla installation with vesa-drives. then you can install the gt200-drivers and add your efi-string. everything else will destroy your audio, lan and your S/L/E...

greetings

post-465461-1249830104_thumb.png

done the whole thing again. most of the time my coreRaidServer crashes. network card: realtek 8111c

updated the realtek kext from the official realtek-side and used the IONetworkingFamily.kext from the X58_Mobo_Patch-pakage

and the hardware-adress for the nic that is displayed on startup doesn't match with the hardware-adress that is displayed inside kaly 10.5.2. a hint for problems mit nic-kext? inside kaly 10.5.2 my nic is working.

I have been struggling with the mDNSResponder issue myself. Did getting the official realtek kext fix this issue?

I've also wondered about the hardware address for the NIC. Did you need to edit that at all?

Wow -- go out of town for the weekend and see a ton of activity in this thread..

What I've seen with the sound dosen't make much sense -- I'll try to detail what we've seen here. This will likely be a long post, but Gecko & I've both gotten sound working again... it doesn't make any sense at all, but at least it works. If anyone reading this can shed some light on the why's, we'll be eternally grateful.

First -- a note. My methodology for working on a hackintoshes includes setting up two separate installs of OSX -- A main install, and a Utility install -- in case I managed to eff up my main install. All operations on the /Extra folder should take place from the opposite install of mac os -- IE you have two hard drives -- Drive A and Drive B -- if you're working on Drive A, then you boot up on Drive B to make modifications to Drive A's /Extra/Extensions folder. We have noticed that what is listed below as a fix only worked when executed from another installed copy of OSX. Why? We don't know, but that's how it worked out.

Here's the story:

When I first got my system running off of a boot-132 install (MJ's guide that I linked in the first post), under the voodoo kernel, everything seemed to be running fine, but I wanted more.

When I set up my second install on this board, everything went well.... Gecko used the original post with some help from me and built out his own system to the same results I had. He went a little further, to try to add psystar's openhaltrestart_1.0.3.kext to address a power down issue. When he added that kext, and rebuilt his /extra/extensions.mkext (by the way, the command we've been using for that is this (got this from Digital Dreamer's guide I think):

sudo -s
cd /Extra
kextcache -a i386 -m ./Extensions.mkext ./Extensions

his sound quit working.

Perplexed, he removed the psystar kext and rebuilt his /extra/Extensions.mkext again. Still no sound.

I tried the same setup, and managed to duplicate the issue on one of my hard drives, leaving the other drive intact. All of our permissions and file ownerships checked out, since removing the psystar kext, both extensions folders were identical, we couldn't for the life of us figure out why the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler kexts weren't loading.

We went through several troubleshooting steps. By chance, Gecko noticed something about when he reinstalled Chameleon 2 RC2... after he reinstalled it, he noticed some new kexts in the folder...

drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:45 AppleHDAController.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:45 AppleMikeyDriver.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:45 DspFuncLib.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:45 IOHDAFamily.kext
(there were a couple more, but it's not that important here)

Interesting, we thought... those just happen to be the kexts that are contained within AppleHDA.kext. What appeared to be happening, was the Chameleon installer was reading the extensions.mkext file, and extracting out the kexts that had already been cached back into the /extra/extensions folder. If we installed chameleon on top of itself after deleting the /extra/extensions.mkext, there were no changes to the contents of the extra/extensions folder. It seems that it would only rewrite nested extensions into the extensions folder when reinstalled over itself more than once -- IE only the above listed kexts would show up in there again with a -n in the name (where n is 1, 2, 3, etc) if you reinstalled chameleon back on top of itself yet again n+1 times.

While testing this and trying to see what would happen, gecko got up to -2's in the kext name. The list of files in the /extra/extensions folder at this point looked like this:

drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Jul 25 14:16 AHCIPortInjector.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Jul 25 14:16 ATAPortInjector.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 root  wheel  136 Aug  6 18:42 AppleHDA.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:45 AppleHDAController-1.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:46 AppleHDAController-2.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:45 AppleHDAController.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:45 AppleHDAPlatformDriver-1.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:46 AppleHDAPlatformDriver-2.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:45 AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:45 AppleMikeyDriver-1.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:46 AppleMikeyDriver-2.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:45 AppleMikeyDriver.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Jul 25 14:16 Disabler.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:45 DspFuncLib-1.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:46 DspFuncLib-2.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:45 DspFuncLib.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 root  wheel  136 Aug  6 18:42 HDAEnabler.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Jul 25 14:16 IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:45 IOHDAFamily-1.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:46 IOHDAFamily-2.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:45 IOHDAFamily.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Jul 25 14:16 JMicronATAInjector.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:43 dsmos.kext

(This took three consecutive reinstalls of chameleon 2 rc2)

On a lark, gecko tried to rebuild his kextcache now with the command we'd been using (kextcache -a i386 -m ./Extensions.mkext ./Extensions)... and rebooted the machine....

/angelic singing

He had sound again.

I'm not promising this will work for you, but for us, getting the sound back working consisted of the following steps...

Start with an extensions folder that looks like this: (if you have any other kexts you're adding, go ahead and add them here) Keep in mind you need to be doing this from another hard drive than the one you're working on.

drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Jul 25 14:16 AHCIPortInjector.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Jul 25 14:16 ATAPortInjector.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 root  wheel  136 Aug  6 18:42 AppleHDA.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Jul 25 14:16 Disabler.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 root  wheel  136 Aug  6 18:42 HDAEnabler.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Jul 25 14:16 IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Jul 25 14:16 JMicronATAInjector.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  wheel  102 Aug  6 18:43 dsmos.kext

Build your kextcache with this setup, as described earlier in this post

Reinstall Chameleon 2RC2 three times

Your extensions folder should now look like the one I listed previously.

rebuild your kextcache again, and reboot onto the drive you've been working on.

If all has gone well, you should have sound again.

This process started out pretty simply. When I first wrote the guide, I thought it was pretty cut and dried. When we started trying to do more with the base install, we ran into some really weird problems. I'm curious to see how subsequent versions of chameleon will affect the process, as in whether not the sound issues may be caused by something they're doing over there, or is there something else going on.

Another note -- gecko tried an update to 10.5.8 and lost sound again -- we're working on getting that back up and working, so you may want to hold of installing that from ASU until we can figure out what's going on.

I know this guide had its issues -- and I thank everyone who's been working with it for their patience.