[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 with Chameleon v2 RC2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (Optional update to 10.5.8)

blackosx

511 posts in this topic

the only real "issue" i am having now is that the SMBIOS.plist file in the pack of file in this thread (the files you supplied blackosx) has an error and Plist Edit Pro won't let me edit it.

No a huge deal, just another small issue I have.

Hi robotfactory

Yes, this is probably the weakest part of my guide at the moment. Ideally I want to have a SMBIOS.plist that best describes my hardware to be the nearest compatible real mac. But I really haven't had the time to properly investigate all the details. I added the one in the guide files for a starting position really, as after my initial install, in System Profiler, under Hardware / Serial Number (system): it read SOMESNUMBER (or something similar).. So I began to create a SMBIOS.plist to fill the gaps etc.

You can find more details for on SMBIOS here

As for the error opening the file in Plist Edit Pro, then I guess my file must contain an syntax error somewhere. I used Textedit to open it. If I find some time this weekend I will have a look at fixing it, unless you or someone here fancies making one? :unsure:

Converted over another system today. GA-EP45-DS3R and the guide worked well with it too. Still need to finish up some minor tweaks but things appear to work!

EP45-DS3R

2x2GB DDR2 800Mhz

640GB WD HDD

Intel E8400

PNY Geforce 9600 GT, running dual dvi with both monitors vertical.

Converted over another system today. GA-EP45-DS3R and the guide worked well with it too. Still need to finish up some minor tweaks but things appear to work!

EP45-DS3R

2x2GB DDR2 800Mhz

640GB WD HDD

Intel E8400

PNY Geforce 9600 GT, running dual dvi with both monitors vertical.

Thanks for this brushedtooth.

I might have to start putting together a list of hardware that this guide works with, as it's growing! :D

EDIT: I have added the extra mobo's being reported as working to the front page.

With the aim of further reducing what's needed for my setup to function, I have found that I can happily remove AHCIPortInjector.kext and ATAPortInjector.kext from Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions with no side effects.

I think AHCIPortInjector is not needed because 10.5.7 supports ICH10 natively.

and ATAPortInjector is not needed as I am using SATA (I am guessing this).

If anybody else can verify the same then maybe I can update the guide?

Note: Before tinkering with your Chameleon settings it's wise to make sure you have a backup system or a boot CD to allow you to recover if your system fails to boot.

Update on SMBIOS

After robotfactory mentioned the SMBIOS.plist file that I supplied in my files had an error, I have looked at it and corrected the problem.

I have attached the new SMBIOS.plist that I now use (but removed the serial number which you should replace along with any other amends to reflect your hardware. (I have also updated this file in the support files download on the front page).

Geekbench now see's my machine like this.

SMBIOS.plist.zip

With the aim of further reducing what's needed for my setup to function, I have found that I can happily remove AHCIPortInjector.kext and ATAPortInjector.kext from Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions with no side effects.

I'v removed the AHCI & ATA kext and after generate the new Extension.mkext all it's ok (Geekbench up to 4607)

I'v removed the AHCI & ATA kext and after generate the new Extension.mkext all it's ok (Geekbench up to 4607)

Hi Z4g0r. Thanks for trying this and reporting it works for you too :)

this guide is awsome dude!!! just got my EP45-DS3LR and it works wunderful ... genius :D

You're welcome. Thanks for reporting your success :)

Worked like a charm on my P35-DS3L. I had to use NVInject to fix the video and get my 2 monitors working as the hex string didnt seem to get it working properly.

I have but one issue with it right now, restart seems to work, it shuts down screen goes black, but won't reboot. Any idea?

Hey, I have a P35-DS3L and so far everything seems to be working - except the same restart problem. Screen goes black, I have to manually hit the reset button.

Hey, I have a P35-DS3L and so far everything seems to be working - except the same restart problem. Screen goes black, I have to manually hit the reset button.

Hi seanmcgpa

You can try to have a look at the console in Applications/Utilities/. With it showing LOG DATABASE QUERIES / All Messages, Click the brush icon to Clear Display. Then select restart and see what messages are displayed... It might give some answers?

I have attached a screengrab of my system, and demonstrated this putting my system to sleep (not restart) just so you can see the window.

post-331032-1247420383_thumb.jpg

Update on SMBIOS

After robotfactory mentioned the SMBIOS.plist I supplied in my files had an error, I have looked at it and since corrected the problem.

I have attached the new SMIOS.plist that I now use (but removed the serial number which you should replace along with any other amends to reflect your hardware. (I have also updated this file in the support files download on the front page).

Geekbench now see's my machine like this.

Is there a way to change the model from an iMac, to say, a Mac Pro?

Is there a way to change the model from an iMac, to say, a Mac Pro?

Yes, Just change the SMproductname Key to read Mac Pro (actually it might need to read something like MacPro3,1)

:thumbsdown_anim:

EDIT: There's a lot to read, but you can find more info here

BlackOSX,

Thanks for your reply. I really don't want to hijack your thread, esp for different hardware. ... hope you don't mind. And thanks again for your wonderful guide!

For those with a GA-P35-DS3L that can't get restart or shutdown to work, what I tried was deleting the OpenHaltRestart 1.0.3 kext mentioned in your guide , and instead using the OpenHaltRestart.kext found here in the DS3L kit (thanks to Weaksauce for providing this). EDIT : URL linking won't work, try here pc wiz computer .com /weaksauce12/?p=9

Restart and Shutdown now work, Sleep does not (little importance to me, I keep my Mac running 24/7 for Plex Media Streaming).

Am I the last geek on earth that doesn't understand DSDT? Is DSDT needed for 10.5.7? I see Chamelon 2RC1 has an option to load a DSDT file, I don't even know what DSDT is. :thumbsdown_anim:

Do you guys use a DSDT.aml file with Chamelon for your rigs? Weaksauce mentions a DSDT.aml file for my motherboard, but I'm not using it and things seem to be working fine (?)

Thanks for your reply. I really don't want to hijack your thread, esp for different hardware. ... hope you don't mind. And thanks again for your wonderful guide!

Hi seanmcgpa

Yes, this thread is really for the GA-EP45-DS3L so we'll try not to elaborate too much on the P35-DS3L. But well done for getting restart & shutdown working for it.

EDIT: Thanks for the link to Weaksauce's DS3L kit. It's good to see how other kits are put together and that's a damn good kit!

Am I the last geek on earth that doesn't understand DSDT? Is DSDT needed for 10.5.7? I see Chamelon 2RC1 has an option to load a DSDT file, I don't even know what DSDT is. Do you guys use a DSDT.aml file with Chamelon for your rigs?

DSDT stands for Differentiated System Description Table

In short, it’s a table in the BIOS which supplies configuration info about the base hardware system. This should be supplied by the manufacturer but for most systems the table is either non existent or incomplete.

I was writing a guide for it to include here with my install for the GA-EP45-DS3L, but I have come to a standstill with it.

What I have managed to do with it is include the information for my video card and network, therefore removing the need to have the EFI string in the com.apple.Boot.plist. Also using a DSDT will allow you to run your system without disabling AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext meaning an even more vanilla system. One caveat is your CPU will run about 10 degrees hotter, but in my tests it doesn't seem to be a problem.

The reason I have come to a standstill is that I can't get the audio, ALC888, to function using DSDT. It's looking like I may have to manually edit the DSDT file to try and achieve this but for me this is unchartered territory, and I need more time to play with this. But if we can get the audio for the GA-EP45-DS3L working using DSDT then we can remove the voodooHDA.kext and it's two dependencies from Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions too..

But if any of you are interested then I can post what I have done so far?

I think I've read that a properly configured DSDT might be needed in Snow Leopard, based on this

Yes, Just change the SMproductname Key to read Mac Pro (actually it might need to read something like MacPro3,1)

:)

EDIT: There's a lot to read, but you can find more info here

Thanks for the quick reply. :D

Well, I got it to say the right thing in the System Profiler, but GeekBench still looks likes this. Also, at the top of of System Profiler, it says mynames's-imac. :thumbsdown_anim:

Thanks for the quick reply. :D

Well, I got it to say the right thing in the System Profiler, but GeekBench still looks likes this. Also, at the top of of System Profiler, it says mynames's-imac. :wacko:

I don't know what else you'll need to set for your system kings_freak. From the link I posted there's a bit here from 'jeff4760' that reads.... You need to use MacPro1,1 if you want Geekbench to not say "Hackintosh". MacPro3,1 will continue to read as hackintosh.

But as for System Profiler, I don't know what's needed for it to report what you want. Sorry I don't know any more to help further ;)

BTW: Nice Geekbench score ;)

I don't know what else you'll need to set for your system kings_freak. From the link I posted there's a bit here from 'jeff4760' that reads.... You need to use MacPro1,1 if you want Geekbench to not say "Hackintosh". MacPro3,1 will continue to read as hackintosh.

But as for System Profiler, I don't know what's needed for it to report what you want. Sorry I don't know any more to help further ;)

Thanks for you're help. I will continue to play around with the text and see if I can come up with anything. If I do, I will let you know. ;)

BTW: Nice Geekbench score :wacko:

Thanks! :D

Can't thank you enough for your guide. I was able to get a Chameleon 2 install up and running onto a 4 x 1TB Raid-0 array, with 10.5.7. Thanks for all your hard work!

Great. Thanks for letting me know.

Just out of interest, you mentioned Weaksauce's guide, which is specifically for the GA-EP35-DS3L, yet you used my guide? Can I ask why?

Another conformation. Both removed with no apparent ill effects.

So far :)

Caveat being that I also don't have any ATA devices.