[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 with Chameleon v2 RC2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (Optional update to 10.5.8)

blackosx

511 posts in this topic

AND sleep seems to be working again :(

Wonder if that was related?

Good to hear your sleep is working but related to removing the two kexts? Wouldn't have thought so.. but stranger things have happened :thumbsup_anim:

@blackosx:

I haven't tried your guide yet, but I just downloaded the instructions to get a sense of what I'll need to do this weekend, and I am pretty thrilled with the quality of the guide and effort you've put into this. Thanks a lot mate.

Cheers.

@blackosx:

I haven't tried your guide yet, but I just downloaded the instructions to get a sense of what I'll need to do this weekend, and I am pretty thrilled with the quality of the guide and effort you've put into this. Thanks a lot mate.

Cheers.

Welcome rob0tics, and thank you.

Yeah, the guide took me a few days to sort, but I knew that once I'd finally worked out the steps for this install I thought it would be good to make it as simple as possible for others to follow. As I remember when I started out I had to search, read and try and gather as much information as I could just to get started. So I thought if I can contribute back somehow, then it would be by doing this and hence my step by step guide was born!

Can you report back once you have followed it, and let me know if there's anything I can do to make it better?

Anyone having issues with USB devices disappearing?

This has happened a couple of times with my mouse, and this morning happened with a printer. It's easily solved, remove usb plug, insert usb plug. But a bit of a pain crawling around under the desk to do it :shock:

I suspect this may also be the root of my thinking sleep (well, wake up) wasn't working - if the mouse isn't recognized there is no way to wake except pressing the power button, at which point it boots instead?

an illustrated step by step guide.

Very nicely done btw :shock:

Anyone having issues with USB devices disappearing?

I did have this happen once a while ago, and like you, I had to crawl under the desk and remove the usb cable for the keyboard (the mouse is attached to my keyboard). But it hasn't happened since and also I don't have any other USB devices to test with (Edit, Forgot... I do have a USB memory stick but I have never had a problem with that).

As ZenGiga asks, If anyone else has issues with USB devices disappearing then please report here.

Very nicely done btw :shock:

Cheers

USB trouble.

I have the same problem of ZenGiga. Whit Keybd or mouse it appear one time. With the other usb port is more frequentely. I think the problem is the amount of ports working simultaneously. When i have the mixer audio connected sometime it is not recognized. I must unplug the cable and after the re-plug it works fine. I think also it is an apple bug because the same happend on a macmini and on an old G4 macpro and very slowly long time mac's recognize it. On the macbook alu (Jan 09) i attach an usb dock whit the mouse on (i know, new trackpad is better :wacko:) and when i attach a second o third device like ext webcam o usbpen, mouse stop to work. (The same of the mouse that moves suddenly on desktop...)

I have 5 port plugged every time (mouse keybd tvstick audiomix webcam) and sometime an external DVD recorder.

Six in total

PS: I think that Apple must regognize us that we are making a better beta test of MacOs ... :(

USB trouble.

I have the same problem of ZenGiga.

Hi Z4g0r. Thanks for reporting you have the problem too.

It's definitely an issue to look at more deeply.

QUESTION:

Does this problem of USB devices disappearing occur ONLY when waking from sleep?

Hi Z4g0r. Thanks for reporting you have the problem too.

It's definitely an issue to look at more deeply.

QUESTION:

Does this problem of USB devices disappearing occur ONLY when waking from sleep?

No, always (in the rare times when it happens)

No, always (in the rare times when it happens)

So on the rare occasion it happens the USB devices never appear automatically from a cold boot? But if you unplug and then plug-in the device, it then gets recognised?

So on the rare occasion it happens the USB devices never appear automatically from a cold boot? But if you unplug and then plug-in the device, it then gets recognised?

When happens, it happens at boot.

Then i unplug and after plug in and it works

When happens, it happens at boot.

Then i unplug and after plug in and it works

Thank you Z4g0r.

Sorry I kept asking but I had to make sure I understood your problem exactly and now I do. ;)

@ZenGiga,

When you get the USB problem, is it the same as Z4g0r's in they never work / appear from boot?

or is it when waking from sleep they stop working / disappear?

Thanks

@ZenGiga,

When you get the USB problem, is it the same as Z4g0r's in they never work / appear from boot?

or is it when waking from sleep they stop working / disappear?

Well, with the mouse, certainly at boot.

Since only the mouse can wake the machine from sleep* I'm not sure about sleep, I suspect that it's happening (fwiw my mouse if plugged into the rear of the machine, not into the keyboard), but when it was failing to wake from sleep even plugging the mouse in/out didn't help.

For the printer, yesterday, well, I have the printer plugged in but turned off most of the time, turning it on is usually enough to have it recognized (at least on my powermac). That was sufficient on the hackintosh, had to unplug/plug, and it seemed to disappear again IIRC.

This is relatively rare, as Z4g0r says, so trying to nail it down is hard. Haven't had much time to chase it yet. But will try to make a point of checking system.log etc when it happens again. Need to play with ioregexplorer? is that right name? See just how the system is treating usb.

I also have a lot of usb devices: mouse, keyboard, webcam, headset, iMic, backup drive, printer.

Thus far plugging in my digital camera works ok, as does a usb key.

I've never had a mac *lose* devices or fail to see them, but I have had issues with software (skype in particular) not remembering which sound output device it should be using, so I'd agree with Z4g0r up to a point, OSX USB is a bit wiggy sometimes.

* set in bios - I remember early on in this mahinces setup, pre-blockosx guide reading that having anything else broke sleep or something. Anyone else have other devices etc allowed to wake the machine in their bios?

Hi ZenGiga

Thanks for providing the detailed feedback. I agree it's going to be hard to identify the cause but if, when it happens, you could monitor the system log etc. then that mind turn up some answers.

You and Z4g0r both use many USB devices, so that could be something to do with it. I will try and recreate the problems on my system, though I only have a USB keyboard & mouse, memory stick, digital camera and an iphone. I will try and borrow a few more.

To wake my system up from sleep, I have to tap the power button on the case. The keyboard or mouse won't wake it up. (But I used to be able to wake it up with the keyboard/mouse?.... Maybe it did have something to do with the removal of those two extensions after all?, or maybe it's the DSDT.aml file I am using/testing... I will have to check.)

Anyone else have other devices etc allowed to wake the machine in their bios?

Not too sure what settings you mean here, but if it helps for comparison, I have attached photos of the settings on two of my BIOS screens. One for Integrated Peripherals and the other for Power Management. I you need me to supply any other info, just ask.

Note: to anyone looking at these BIOS pics, these are just what mine are currently set to, they might not be optimum settings for this install...For instance, Power On By Mouse, only refers to a PS/2 mouse not USB. One day I will get round to tweaking each setting (but the old adage applies.... if it ain't broke then don't fix it).

Thanks again :blink:

post-331032-1247776594_thumb.jpg

post-331032-1247776600_thumb.jpg

... (but the old adage applies.... if it ain't broke then don't fix it).

#1 International SysAdministrator Law! :D

Is anyone using PATA (IDE) Disk drives?

I'm using a IDE hard drive. Added the Jmicron kext and everything seemed to work. Borrowed a SATA dvd drive for the install thought.

I'm using a IDE hard drive. Added the Jmicron kext and everything seemed to work. Borrowed a SATA dvd drive for the install thought.

Well done rkx.

Can you give me a few more details? Did the Jmicron driver go in to /Extra/Extensions, leaving the retail install untouched? and what BIOS settings did you use for ACHI? Have you since gone back to using and IDE DVD drive? and anything else you think others will need to repeat what you did. This will allow me to update my guide and more people can then enjoy the install. :blink:

Thanks

Hi BlackOSX,

Thanks for your great tutorial. I have followed your guild line and install successfully. However, I can't get restart and shutdown be done. It only perform a flake restart or shutdown ----> Screen turn off but the hard disk is still running.

Would you give some advice on it?

My config:

EP45-DS3LR

Q6600

4g Ram

SATA 640G harddisk

Galaxy 9800GT 512 RAM display card

Regards,

Keith

I can't get restart and shutdown be done. It only perform a flake restart or shutdown ----> Screen turn off but the hard disk is still running.

Hi ee_wmkab

What you describe is similar to what happens if OpenHaltRestart is not loaded.

To see if OpenHaltRestart is actually loaded in the system, go to Terminal and type sudo kextstat then enter your password. This will give you a list of all running extensions, and you should see OpenHaltRestart in that list.

You could try removing OpenHaltRestart from /Extra/Extensions and rebuilding your Extensions.mkext. Then see if the computer does exactly the same. If so then we know that OpenHaltRestart isn't working for you, so maybe you can try to re-install it?

See if that helps?

Many thanks for the excellent guide. If I could mostly manage it and to reach the desktop of a retail install, then it is truly a credit to the detail of the guide.

Maybe some of the usb issues mentioned are inherent in Mac OSX 10.5.7 update? I have had a few issues on a MBP since updating to 10.5.7, but not enough to bother me enough to investigate or even pin down.

To save me time piddling about with what I think would be possibilities.

I have a 512mb msi8800gt, always recog and supported previously with selected option of nvdarwin or nvinject in an install.

I followed the guide (not the updated one) for the video string, adding the hex string to the boot list

However the card is not recognised or supported, except for 1024 768 res. with shadows aplenty draging a window.

I tried installing, into the mix, nvDarwin 1.2.5 (512 selected) but on restart I just get to that stern error message ordering me to shut down.

ATM I have fresh installed the retail OS and Cham, to their partitions.

What would the next step be as regards to the video?

Do the install without doing the hex string, then install a kext?

Try the hex string again?

ATM I have fresh installed the retail OS and Cham, to their partitions.

What would the next step be as regards to the video?

Hi geithals

Well done so far. I also have a MSI 8800GT 512MB so try using my com.apple.boot.plist which I have included here. Put this in to Chameleon's /Extra folder and reboot.

But you don't want to be touching nvdarwin or nvinject as that will break the vanilla install by installing to System/Library/Extensions.

See if that helps you.

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Hi geithals

Well done so far. I also have a MSI 8800GT 512MB so try using my com.apple.boot.plist which I have included here. Put this in to Chameleon's /Extra folder and reboot.

That did the required job very nicely, thanks a lot.

About 5 days work saved there, in one small plist :)

That did the required job very nicely, thanks a lot.

About 5 days work saved there, in one small plist :)

You're welcome. I am happy it worked for you. :D

Maybe some of the usb issues mentioned are inherent in Mac OSX 10.5.7 update? I have had a few issues on a MBP since updating to 10.5.7, but not enough to bother me enough to investigate or even pin down.

Thanks for mentioning this too, as z4g0r also mentioned issues with USB mouse on his macbook. Maybe it is a 10.5.7 issue?...

I'm seeing problems - as mentioned with Lensboard's original guide for this card - that using onboard ethernet has issues when it comes to bonjour and other OSX network 'sharing' tech. My printer is at first visible from the other mac on the network...then disappears. Ditto file sharing - the hackintosh is found, but disappears when you try to connect. I seem to be able to connect from the hackintosh to other macs on the network ok though.

Lensboard suggests just buying a gigabit ethernet pci card, which I may just do :)

Meanwhile I'm going to check my bios and see if I have that 'LAN boot ROM' set to load at boot, think I may have turned that off.

This 'known issue' should possibly be added to the guide if it's not fixed by the 'LAN boot ROM'. I'll get back to you, might take a few days of testing though.