[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 with Chameleon v2 RC2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (Optional update to 10.5.8)

blackosx

511 posts in this topic

I'm seeing problems - as mentioned with Lensboard's original guide for this card - that using onboard ethernet has issues when it comes to bonjour and other OSX network 'sharing' tech. My printer is at first visible from the other mac on the network...then disappears. Ditto file sharing - the hackintosh is found, but disappears when you try to connect. I seem to be able to connect from the hackintosh to other macs on the network ok though.

Lensboard suggests just buying a gigabit ethernet pci card, which I may just do :)

Meanwhile I'm going to check my bios and see if I have that 'LAN boot ROM' set to load at boot, think I may have turned that off.

This 'known issue' should possibly be added to the guide if it's not fixed by the 'LAN boot ROM'. I'll get back to you, might take a few days of testing though.

Hi ZenGiga

Thanks for pointing this out and, again for providing valuable testing. I don't have any other Mac's at home to conduct these tests... I will update the front page to reflect lensboard's notes regarding this issue. And if you manage to find time to do more testing then I will be happy to hear any results. :)

Hi guys,

bad news. I put new RAM, Corsair XMS2 8GB@1066 (2xTwin2X4096-8500C5C G) and the panic screen appears ... in retail and kaly. I think is Chameleon configuration problem.... anyone have experience?

The second disk with a normal Chamaleon (with no partition like Blackos recipes) boot Kaly with no problem, Win7 boot too, but crash Vista

Now i go to boot with debug and write what happend under GUI

bad news. I put new RAM, Corsair XMS2 8GB@1066 (2xTwin2X4096-8500C5C G) and the panic screen appears ...

This is strange? I wouldn't have thought installing Chameleon on a separate partition would cause it to fail with 8GB of RAM. Hopefully you can find more info with the verbose boot.

Maybe a mobo settings voltage problems.

With 6 or 8 GB the computer dont start linear, some time beeps 2 or 3 times and reboot . I try to change DRAM voltage (if up over 1.8v system hangs, on Ram is signedd 2.10v) and latency (it is 5-6-6-18 and mobo put it to 5-6-6-16) with bad results. Now i put only two dram in dual channel and all works fine. Very few point up in geekbench only 3 plus over the 4x1@800 and speed is read at 800 (chroma problem i suppose) .

I try to change DRAM voltage (if up over 1.8v system hangs, on Ram is signedd 2.10v) and latency (it is 5-6-6-18 and mobo put it to 5-6-6-16) with bad results.

The mobo supports 1.8V memory see here, so maybe 2.1V might cause problems. But I hope you get it working. :D

The mobo supports 1.8V memory see here, so maybe 2.1V might cause problems. But I hope you get it working. :P

Yes it works at 1.8 but problems borns with 4 DRAM mounted .. i'm working on ...

By the way, about USB problem:

it appears in Vista (when i tryng all boots) at boot keyb dont working, after unplug and plug it go .... and this is another mobo problem. I think its time that Gigabyte make a bios update

And if you manage to find time to do more testing then I will be happy to hear any results. :P

Well, I think this is like the usb problems, sporadically broken, rather than out and out not working.

I have re-enabled the LAN boot ROM in bios (loads the ROM from the LAN chip at boot, apparently), I'd turned that off after adding the efi string for the ethernet card. And we successfully shared the printer yesterday evening. But I'm not willing to say that fixed it. Just have to wait and see if bonjour etc fails again at some point.

I have re-enabled the LAN boot ROM in bios..... And we successfully shared the printer yesterday evening. But I'm not willing to say that fixed it. Just have to wait and see if bonjour etc fails again at some point.

Well done and good to hear you have the printer sharing, for now at least. Thanks for keeping us up to date and we'll have to wait and see if changing that BIOS setting made a permanent difference.

I plan on taking my hack to work soon, so I can plug it in to the network for some testing with other macs.

Yes it works at 1.8 but problems borns with 4 DRAM mounted .. i'm working on ...

All I can tell you is I have 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2, PC2-8500 (1066), CAS 5-6-6-18 and it works fine. I think it also changed the timing though, just like yours, though with less RAM obviously.

You are putting them in matched slots on the mobo right? red + red, yellow + yellow?

All I can tell you is I have 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2, PC2-8500 (1066), CAS 5-6-6-18 and it works fine. I think it also changed the timing though, just like yours, though with less RAM obviously.

You are putting them in matched slots on the mobo right? red + red, yellow + yellow?

Yes i respect double channel, with the first pair (now are on red+red) no problem. When i put the second pair on yellow double channel many problems. I try only one plus (red+red+ one yellow total 6GB) Vista start MacOS gone in panic.

The sticks are the same: Corsair XMS2 8500C5C . I put the voltage to 2.1 like is write on the SDRAM but nothing. Now i go to try to delay the latency to 6-6-6-18 .... try ... try ... two days of trying :)

With 6 or 8 GB the computer dont start linear, some time beeps 2 or 3 times and reboot.

Isn't 3 beeps a memory error?

I put new RAM, Corsair XMS2 8GB@1066 (2xTwin2X4096-8500C5C G).......... The second disk with a normal Chamaleon (with no partition like Blackos recipes) boot Kaly with no problem, Win7 boot too, but crash Vista

If it runs fine in Kaly & Win7 with 8GB installed is it worth maybe running memtest to check the memory?, or boot from something like Hiren's Boot CD and run memtest from there?

Just a thought..

Isn't 3 beeps a memory error?

Yes but its strange sometimes go and more times fails

If it runs fine in Kaly & Win7 with 8GB installed is it worth maybe running memtest to check the memory?, or boot from something like Hiren's Boot CD and run memtest from there?

Just a thought..

I try memtest on every stick: no errors ....

The strange is that with only two stick all works fine ...

Ok, Gigabyte assistance (better) puts a rock on (see obvious answer below). Certainly i asked too. RAM 2.1v is not supported (such as Blackosx underlined) and I will have to find a compatible.

The problem is that the comp list is old and the RAM upgrade fastly every day ... (with new performances). Then in the market there are only news sticks/bars ......

Gold rule is: new Ram into new mobo........ i know... :(

Official answer of GigaByte:

Dear Z4g0r,

Thank you for supporting GIGABYTE products and contacting GBT Tech Support. We are really sorry for the inconvenience you have with our product. As to the problem you mentioned, the standard voltage for DDR2 memory module is 1.8V. Please kinldy check if your memory module require higher than that. Please enter "BIOS\ MB Intelligent Tweaker", to adjust the value of "DDR2 OverVoltage Control" to match to your memory module.

In addition, because there are too many kinds of memory modules available in the retail market, we could not test every compatible of memory module on the motherboard. Thus, we could only guarantee the compatible of memory module in our Memory Support List for the motherboard. We are really sorry if there is any inconvenience. Here is the Memory Support List about the motherboard for your reference to avoid compatible problem: CLICK HERE.

Unfortunately, if the problem still remains, please kindly use other memory module listed on our QVL and try again, to see if the problem also happen. We are sorry again for the inconvenience. By the way, please notice that our motherboard follows JEDEC regulation to support 1.8V memory modules. Over spec products are not guarantee to run fine which can cause problems and not cover by warranty.

At last, if you still have any further question to this issue or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us. If you have any issue different from original, make sure you issue a new form in order to get proper assistance and it may be response faster as well. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Best Regards,

GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

with 4GB (2x 2GB) of 1066 Corsair XMS2 performances speed up significantly in geekbench to 4649 only by setting the RAM voltage in BIOS to 2.1v ;)

Ok, in the last: our Mobo with 8GB (4x2GB) of XMS2 Corsair 1066 isnt stable :(

You have been busy with this Z4g0r. Sorry to hear you still can get all 8GB working.

Just out of interest, I had a quick look at that Gigabyte approved memory list for this mobo and in there for 1066Mhz is Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5D which I looked up and that operates at 2.1V...

One thing I would try is to ask the experts over at TweakTown, they seem really helpful. I don't know enough to be able to help you any further, but if you do find out more on this then I would love to know the answer :)

Just out of interest, I had a quick look at that Gigabyte approved memory list for this mobo and in there for 1066Mhz is Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5D which I looked up and that operates at 2.1V...

... 2.1v ... max 4GB in all slots... i need 8GB

One thing I would try is to ask the experts over at TweakTown, they seem really helpful. I don't know enough to be able to help you any further, but if you do find out more on this then I would love to know the answer :)

i see it in this days ... nothing news, but the same mine experiences...

a good way is CM2X1024-8500C5D but max amount of memory is up to 4GB

now i still work good with 4 GB of mine XMS2 at 1.8v (at 2.14v RAM is too hot after one hour of work and mobo still crash with MacOS in panic, probably with an airflow on the RAM all goes done)

Last March I installed 10.5.4 using de's generic boot 132 w/ kexts. System has been stable with minor problems when I updated to 10.5.7, audio kexts needed to be reinstalled and graphics card still showed up as a 7300 GT (but worked just fine). After reading the initial reports here I decided Chameleon might give me a more stable platform and the ability to boot from my harddrive.

So last week I installed chameleon based upon the original guide (later made the kext changes). From the beginning I had some stability problems with the DVD burner freezing up on seemly random occasions. Based upon others comments, I replaced the DVD burner now everything is rock solid.

Incidentally, my 132 boot disk still works on the new install, sans audio. Nice to still have an alternate if things go south.

... 2.1v ... max 4GB in all slots... i need 8GB

What I meant was Gigabyte said 'the standard voltage for DDR2 memory module is 1.8V.' But even though they say this, in their own list of recommended/tested memory, they have included 2.1V memory.. So some modules must work okay..

I wasn't suggesting you used them.

So last week I installed chameleon based upon the original guide....

Incidentally, my 132 boot disk still works on the new install, sans audio. Nice to still have an alternate if things go south.

Are you referring to my original guide? If so, well done for following it and thanks for letting me know of another successful install. Also, yes, a general 132 boot disk should still boot you in to OSX.

What I meant was Gigabyte said 'the standard voltage for DDR2 memory module is 1.8V.' But even though they say this, in their own list of recommended/tested memory, they have included 2.1V memory.. So some modules must work okay..

No good news.

Today i have 2 freeze and two panic with that Corsair XMS2@1066

The crashes are signed in system.log

I put back on the mobo the 4 kingston 800 ...

i try if all problems was for the ram or by the apple update for iMovie that i make in the morning ...

stll tray ... and test

Yes, your original guide. Incidently, I'm using a USB keyboard, mouse, and backup drive. Haven't hooked up the USB printer yet. I'll post how it goes.

Are you referring to my original guide? If so, well done for following it and thanks for letting me know of another successful install. Also, yes, a general 132 boot disk should still boot you in to OSX.

Yes, your original guide. Incidently, I'm using a USB keyboard, mouse, and backup drive. Haven't hooked up the USB printer yet. I'll post how it goes.

Thanks for the confirmation. Hopefully you won't have any problems with your USB devices, but please let me know how you get on.

I will be doing some testing from today with my system to see if I can find issues with Bonjour and networking using this mobo's on-board ethernet. This will support the issue which lensboard, and more recently ZenGiga, highlighted and the reason for suggesting the GA311 which incidently I see justmetoo is using.

The first problem I can report is iTunes doesn't recognise my iPhone using the Remote app although it works with the Vista machines I have in the house. I believe it worked with my previous install using lensboard's guide which I still have on another hard drive. I will boot in to that this evening and try it.

Blackosx,

Could you provide a little bit more detail on the smbios.plist changes? Not quite figuring this one out. Would be good to get a few more step by steps regarding just exactly what needs to be changed and what, if anything, besides the information loaded in the system profiler is impacted.

Blackosx,

Could you provide a little bit more detail on the smbios.plist changes? Not quite figuring this one out. Would be good to get a few more step by steps regarding just exactly what needs to be changed and what, if anything, besides the information loaded in the system profiler is impacted.

Hi justmetoo

I only really know as much as I have put in my guide, and if you choose, you can get away with not changing anything. But, because OS X won't know about some non-Apple hardware it won't auto detect it. So the idea is to enter the details for your hardware to resemble as close as possible a real Mac or at least report your hardware correctly. So if you have 1066Mhz RAM, but 'About This Mac' box only shows 667Mhz then you can change it if you want to.

With regards to what is impacted by making these changes, I am not sure, other than some software like Geekbench. But there might be other apple software that'll refuse to install if it doesn't think your hardware specs can cope etc...

Does this help? if not, I will dig up some links to other threads for finding further info.

I will be doing some testing from today with my system to see if I can find issues with Bonjour and networking using this mobo's on-board ethernet.

Glad to hear you're doing some testing :D

Well, printer sharing often works on a fresh reboot, but fails after sleep, or fails when you try to use it. It also sometimes works when you try to use it :)

Point is - this is sporadic failure.