[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 with Chameleon v2 RC2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (Optional update to 10.5.8)

blackosx

511 posts in this topic

I'll pick up a new SATA hard drive tomorrow...

I'd really love to boot up the computer, have Chameleon 2.0 RC2 appear with a Mac and Windows icon, default to Mac but give me the option for Windows, and have both boot up flawlessly.

Again, if you have links to guides or forum postings to read, I would greatly appreciate it.

You are going to make your life easier by using the second HD option, but I would still personally use Vista or Windows 7 over XP. As for dual booting with XP and having Chameleon present the options like you describe all I can suggest is to have a look at the forums. Here's a few links from the Chameleon forums to start you off.

[url="http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,173.0.html"]http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,173.0.html[/url]
[url="http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,64.0.html"]http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,64.0.html[/url]
[url="http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,298.0.html"]http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,298.0.html[/url]

Any one had any PCI issues with this install?

I wanted to try connecting my scsi scanner, so put in the adaptec 2906 pci scsi host adaptor card, but it just wasn't recognized, even after insalling the driver. Tried it in the G4 and it was fine (do need to use a rather old adaptec driver, but still, it works).

Then I was looking at system log and am now seeing:

com.apple.PCIESlotCheck[233]: [PCIESlotCheck] Error reading PCIE lane config.  Unable to check PCIE slots for changes

It's there as far back as July 19th, once every boot.

There's one other report on insanely about this mobo, with 10.5.6 retail install and a firewire card that doesn't work and the same error is present.

So is everyone else seeing this error at boot?

And does anyone have a working pci slot?

I'm getting the impression that with this install these slots are unreachable by osx...

Any one had any PCI issues with this install?...

com.apple.PCIESlotCheck[233]: [PCIESlotCheck] Error reading PCIE lane config. Unable to check PCIE slots for changes

So is everyone else seeing this error at boot?

And does anyone have a working pci slot?

Interesting....

I don't use any other PCI devices on my hack, so I don't see this error. But I will have a dig around to try to find any old cards I may have lying around and see what happens.

Does anything show in ioreg?

EDIT: Well I found an old Compaq NIC, put it in my hack. I booted up and went to IORegistryExplorer and it shows the device (see attached screengrab). I can't get it to function. But I don't get any PCI errors in the system.log either.

post-331032-1249293680_thumb.png

Some clarification - mentioning the date about I was meaning to say this is pre chameleon 2rc2 install. It's been happening for a while.

PCISlot check runs at user login, not boot. It seems to be about configuring the PCIe bus, try this in terminal:

<code>

open "/System/Library/CoreServices/Expansion Slot Utility.app"

</code>

It seems to me that the slots are checked at login and if a new express card has been inserted that utility opens for the user to configure the PCIe bus. I presume it will fail unless you actually insert a new express card ^_^

So no big deal.

I've used Lingon and changed it to run PCIESlotchek only once a month, instead of every login, less error messages but it should still run eventually if I ever add another express card.

You could also modify the /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.PCIESlotCheck.plist

manually with your favourite editor, mine looks like this after edit:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>com.apple.PCIESlotCheck</string>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
	<string>/System/Library/CoreServices/Expansion Slot Utility.app/Contents/Resources/PCIESlotCheck</string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<false/>
<key>StartCalendarInterval</key>
<dict>
	<key>Day</key>
	<integer>1</integer>
	<key>Hour</key>
	<integer>10</integer>
	<key>Minute</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

I'm thinking this PCIe slot check failure is utterly irrelevant to my (or other) pci slot problems.

I forgot to mention about voltage. I found a mention that this adaptec card needs 5v pci bus power and won't work in a G5 because that only provides 3.3v - I can't find any info about voltage on the pci slots for our mobo, but I'm wondering if that's the main problem, not enough power!

It doesn't even appear in system profiler, and even xsane on an ubuntu livecd couldn't find it, whereas on the g4 it appears in system profiler with "driver installed: no" even without the driver, and works with a driver installed.

Think I'll just leave it attached to the g4 for now, it's not a big deal for how much I use the scanner.

But does anyone have any definitive answer for the pci slot voltage on this mobo?

EDIT: Well I found an old Compaq NIC, put it in my hack. I booted up and went to IORegistryExplorer and it shows the device (see attached screengrab). I can't get it to function. But I don't get any PCI errors in the system.log either.

Does it show in system profiler?

I didn't think of using IOReg, but I'm guessing it wouldn't appear (it's in another machine now) - see notes about voltage above. It seems it may just be this card that isn't compatible.

PCISlot check runs at user login, not boot. It seems to be about configuring the PCIe bus, try this in terminal:

<code>

open "/System/Library/CoreServices/Expansion Slot Utility.app"

</code>

But does anyone have any definitive answer for the pci slot voltage on this mobo?

Expansion Slot Utility give me the error: Expansion Slot Utility is not intended to run on this system.??

I had quick look in the manual for the voltage for the PCI slots and couldn't find anything. I will have a look to see if it's printed on the mobo when I take out the NIC i just put in.

Does it show in system profiler?

Nope

Expansion Slot Utility give me the error: Expansion Slot Utility is not intended to run on this system.??

I'm guessing that's because you're using imac, and I'm using macpro2,1 as the model. iMac's don't have a lot of expansion slots =D

Interesting to find something else affected possibly by model name though?

I had quick look in the manual for the voltage for the PCI slots and couldn't find anything. I will have a look to see if it's printed on the mobo when I take out the NIC i just put in.

Oh I checked that, and the gigabyte web site. Thanks for taking a look at the mobo.

I suppose you could check what the card requires instead of the mobo?

The NIC is now removed.. unfortunately I didn't see any reference to voltage printed on the mobo.

I'm guessing that's because you're using imac, and I'm using macpro2,1 as the model. iMac's don't have a lot of expansion slots =D

Interesting to find something else affected possibly by model name though?

I didn't know that?.. So is that an example of an app not running based on model naming in the SMBIOS.plist ?

EDIT: specs for the NIC i used say 5V

I didn't know that?.. So is that an example of an app not running based on model naming in the SMBIOS.plist ?

Well, there was a question mark at the end of that sentence for a reason ^_^

It seems a logical thing to me.

EDIT: specs for the NIC i used say 5V

Oh. Hmm. Maybe I'll have another go this evening. Thanks for checking.

Well, there was a question mark at the end of that sentence for a reason :)

lol

Oh. Hmm. Maybe I'll have another go this evening. Thanks for checking.

No probs. Hope it works for you this time, but I think you'll probably get the same results as you did first time round. :P

I mean you know what you're doing and I can't think of any steps for you to try differently..

I will be interested to hear how you get on though. :)

hi. first let me thank you for your guide, but i got a problem with it...

im using the ep45-ds3l and i did exactly follow your guide up to step 9 without any problems.

but chameleon doesnt show the partition where i installed leopard (step 10).

im using ep45-ds3l, core2quad 9550, gf gtx260, sata dvd, sata hdd.

ahci in biso is set to ahci, ide controller is set to disabled.

i used just 1 sata hdd with 2 partitions, one for chameleon and one for leopard.

any idea whats going wrong?

im using the ep45-ds3l and i did exactly follow your guide up to step 9 without any problems.

Hi sickofit

Sorry the install from my boot CD hasn't worked for you.

I can't think why Chameleon is not picking up the partition?

If possible, can you burn this generic boot132 CD and boot from it instead?

What you need to do is boot from it and when presented with a boot prompt, press ESCAPE, then type 80 for your 1st hard disk. You'll then be presented with a list of partitions. See if your Macintosh partition is in the list, if so, you should be able to boot it from there. If successful, swap CD's back to my Boot CD can carry on the install.

Can you let me know if it works?

Thanks

EDIT: I have just tried using that iso and I couldn't boot from it. So I am just uploading a new image which works.

Sorry for any inconvenience. I'll update this post shortly with the new link.

Here is a new Generic Boot 132 iso which works.

OK, I'm back. I have read some of the above posts. I have an add-on firewire card on this motherboard. When I put the card in a PCI slot toward the processor, I got nothing. When I put the firewire card in the lowest PCI slot (furthest away from the processor) all is good. Try changing which slot the card goes in.

For my dual boot problem, I took your advice and installed Windows 7 on a second hard drive after disconnecting the OSX drive. Everything worked great. Chameleon defaults to Macintosh but when I hit enter it gives me two Windows options. One is "System Reserved" and one is "Windows". Windows 7 is installed on the drive partition with the label "Windows" but if I select that I get a boot error. if I select "System Reserved" everything works great and Windows 7 loads up. "System Reserved" is apparently a 100MB partition that Windows 7 created during install.

So, can I delete icons in Chameleon so only the one that works appears? Can I rename an Icon so it says Windows 7 instead of "System Reserved"? Can I rename the partition with GParted or something else and if I do will it mess up the Windows configuration?

Lastly, I wanted to hide the desktop icon in OSX for "System Reserved". I was able to remove it from the sidebar in Finder, no problem. I found code to not mount a volume on startup under OSX but because the volume label is two words with a space, the Terminal command I found screws up. Is there a tilde, 8.3 name like DOS does to shorten long file names in Windows?

Again sorry for hijacking the thread. I do sincerely appreciate everyone's help.

Hi squidwardd

Try changing which slot the card goes in.

Thanks for the tip. Worth a try :thumbsup_anim:

For my dual boot problem, I took your advice and installed Windows 7 on a second hard drive....

.....it gives me two Windows options. One is "System Reserved" and one is "Windows".

Well done. Yeah, I have read that you get both the Windows 7 partitions showing in Chameleon. But when I was using Windows 7 RC I didn't have this... I thought I didn't install the 100MB partition? Was there an option for this? I can't remember now.. However I will be installing Windows 7 again soon so I'll let you know.

So, can I delete icons in Chameleon so only the one that works appears?

You can not choose what Chameleon displays with regards to non HFS+ partitions.

I found code to not mount a volume on startup under OSX but because the volume label is two words with a space, the Terminal command I found screws up.

To describe a volume with two words you need to use a \

i.e. System\ Reserved/

Good luck, I look forward to hearing how you get on.

:(

When I put the card in a PCI slot toward the processor, I got nothing. When I put the firewire card in the lowest PCI slot (furthest away from the processor) all is good. Try changing which slot the card goes in.

Bizarre but interesting. I used the one furthest away last time, maybe I need to try the other one. That means pushing out another blank on the case though - anyone got tips on pushing those out btw? It always seems a bit haphazard when I do it...

two words with a space, the Terminal command I found screws up.

use a slash as blackosx suggested or you can quote the "two words" part .

As an update, after loading the revised kexts, and chameleon v2, bonjour works with both onboard LAN and the GA311.

Thanks for trying this out.

So it didn't work and you had your network cable plugged in to the GA311 network card? From that then I can take it Bonjour doesn't work with the default install even with a GA311 network card.

This will work because it is just file sharing, but here I wanted to test Bonjour, which is Apples Zero config network protocol which allows automatic discovery of services.

Thanks again for your help.

As an update, after loading the revised kexts, and chameleon v2, bonjour works with both onboard LAN and the GA311.

Thanks for the confirmation of the GA311 now working with bonjour with the revised kexts. Did the GA311 support bonjour OoB without the kexts? as that would be the only point in anyone using one of those now.

and Thanks to squidwardd's questioning on a dual boot with Windows install......

I completed a new install this morning. I used a fresh HD to install OS X, Chameleon RC2 on the EFI partition, and Windows 7 all on the same HD. I now have a fully working dual boot system, and Chameleon only shows two icons, OS X or Windows 7.

:P

Again: Audio Question

I want to track down my audio issues. I have done a new,clean installation (on test-partition) using your (blackosx) BootCD & guide.

Now I have 10.5.6: Audio works with "No built in Audio" in Profiler and "unknown" in Preferences.

- I discovered that - even there is no /Extra so far - on the 1st boot (via CD), in the Log there are entries associated with VoodooHDA (??) were do they come from ?? There is no VoodooHDA in kext-folders (neither /Extra nor /S/L/E).

What is your advice to continue and get the nice Audio-Preferences-pane you have in the "DSDT-thread" ?

1st: Upgrade to 10.5.7

2nd: put *what* in /Extra

3rd: ....

thanks

Gerhard

Log_1stboot_10.5.6.tiff

Again: Audio Question

I want to track down my audio issues. I have done a new,clean installation (on test-partition) using your (blackosx) BootCD & guide.

Now I have 10.5.6: Audio works with "No built in Audio" in Profiler and "unknown" in Preferences.

- I discovered that - even there is no /Extra so far - on the 1st boot (via CD), in the Log there are entries associated with VoodooHDA (??) were do they come from ?? There is no VoodooHDA in kext-folders (neither /Extra nor /S/L/E).

What is your advice to continue and get the nice Audio-Preferences-pane you have in the "DSDT-thread" ?

1st: Upgrade to 10.5.7

2nd: put *what* in /Extra

3rd: ....

thanks

Gerhard

Log_1stboot_10.5.6.tiff

Hi g_h

VoodooHDA is on the BootCD along with a few other kexts and they are injected when you boot from the CD.

Carry on and follow the instructions.

That will get you up and running with 10.5.7 with VoodooHDA.

Then when you have got there, have a look at my DSDT thread and if you like, build a DSDT with only the audio in.

Any questions, just ask.

Good luck :wacko:

its me again. (the guy your boot disk didnt work for)

now i used another method an installed osx and chameleon on my hdd by using a mac. i can boot and everything is working fine. (grafic card, ethernet, audio...)

but sometimes after reboot, my dock is suddenly in the center of my desktop.

then i go to system prefs and reposition it and everything is running fine again.

im using geforce gtx260 with evga drivers and efi string added with osxtools (custom geforce) in this way:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...489&st=180#

post 198

but sometimes after reboot, my dock is suddenly in the center of my desktop.

Hi sickofit, Good idea using a mac to create your HDD.

All I can guess is that there is something quite not right with your graphics card setup, as nobody else has reported any strange things like this. Infact, I have never heard of this happening before.... Maybe put a post in to the thread you followed to build your EFI string and see what they say.

That's all I can recommend, sorry.

Well done though on getting your system up and running :wacko:

im using ep45-ds3l, core2quad 9550, gf gtx260, sata dvd, sata hdd.

ahci in biso is set to ahci, ide controller is set to disabled.

i used just 1 sata hdd with 2 partitions, one for chameleon and one for leopard.

any idea whats going wrong?

I have very similar setup as sickofit, except with the graphic card, (8800) and im having the same issue, the bootloader wont pickup the partition.

I used 10.5.4 installation disk, and in your guide, you mention 10.5, is that in general or has to be 10.5.0? maybe thats the source of the problem???

Right now, i used my original grub-dfe bootloader to boot into osx after the initial reboot, so things are going along, but kinda sucks (though a very minor problem) that i cannot hear the sound from the welcome video.

any thoughts to why this would happen?

also, you mentioned that you have both windows 7 and osx on the same harddrive and a choice to boot which system to go into, is there any threads that you can point me to so i can read further about it?

awesome guide, even though i was not able to benifit from it, but im glad many others have.

my installation stucked at the page when i press enter after i've inserted my mac os x disc..

i was at the page of the perfecto logo

any clue?

Hi soraxx

Are you sure it definitely froze? as it can take a while to do anything when you've reached that point... You have got your BIOS AHCI set to AHCI?

I have very similar setup as sickofit, except with the graphic card, (8800) and im having the same issue, the bootloader wont pickup the partition.

I used 10.5.4 installation disk, and in your guide, you mention 10.5, is that in general or has to be 10.5.0? maybe thats the source of the problem???

Hi Chynaman

I use the 8800GT graphic card, so if it fails for you too then it can't be anything to do with the graphics card.

Thing is, I used my boot CD (v1.03) yesterday when I built my new install and everything worked great. So I am stumped as to what I could be. It has to be either Chameleon or a BIOS setting... Can I ask you to check your ACHI settings as I have asked soraxx?

I supplied a link before in response to sickofit's post to a generic boot disc here which I would like somebody to try when this problem happens. So I can determine if the problem lies with Chameleon?

Well done with continuing with grub-dfe.

also, you mentioned that you have both windows 7 and osx on the same harddrive and a choice to boot which system to go into, is there any threads that you can point me to so i can read further about it?

I am going to put together a step by step guide for this, but I did it by making the relevant partition active at various stages of the install... I got the tip from the voodooprojects forum topic,311.0.html titled 'Windows 7 RC1 and Macintosh on the same drive'.